Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MENTORING ME  (Read 27744 times)

François de Paris

Re:THE MENTORING ME
« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2006, 06:37:17 PM »

How many boys do you know named Sandra?

MANY!
Of course I do have strange friends!

(Well, I was just hinting that it could have been adapted to the Sandra name for the occasion!

For once that I was not being "rational!")

This is SO confusing for a French person; then Sandy is for boys and Sandi for girls! Oy, vey!) :)

François de Paris

« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2006, 06:39:28 PM »

François (and Larry),

Thanks so much for the information about The Torpedo and the Whale! I probably could have found some of it but you did such a thorough job. It's always best to go to the experts at HHW.

Anthony is very, very happy. He sends you (both) virtual kisses. I do too.  :D

Virtual "reprimand" and NOW virtual kisses! Story of my life which is so virtual!
Kisses received and enjoyed virtually! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2006, 06:42:23 PM »

Owuld??? Owuld???????

No! I don't know any girl named Owuld! :D

(Owuld The Lucky Rabbit, an Owuld Disney Production!) 8)

François de Paris

« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2006, 06:43:44 PM »

Owuld You Like To Spoon With Me?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2006, 06:51:32 PM »

FJL, it’s not too late at all.  Thank you.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2006, 06:54:24 PM »

I'm soooo tired.  Watching Brokeback Mountain, as per Francois' request.  

Jane

« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2006, 06:56:32 PM »

It is a slow moving film, watching it now might not be the best timing.  

Jane

« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2006, 06:57:06 PM »

elmore how is your father doing?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2006, 06:58:24 PM »

The East coast HBO broadcast of ELIZABETH I Part 1 lasted 1:47, and just ended.  If you West Coasters don't have HBO, run to a neighbor's and confiscate their viewing.  Helen Mirren is amazing, and Jeremy Irons wonderful and still quite handsome as the love of her life, whose letters she kept until she died.  Then, if you still want to know more about an amazing woman, buy a paerback copy of Alison Weir's bio of Elizabeth, which is one of the best biographies I've ever read.

I cannot wait for part two!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: April 22, 2006, 07:00:41 PM »

elmore how is your father doing?

Fine, I guess.  I don't call him every day, and I haven't spoken to him since last sunday.  I will tomorrow.  I believe he may be starting chemo this week.  Ugh.  I hope that doesn't kill him.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #190 on: April 22, 2006, 07:13:33 PM »

Chemo, so soon, I suppose that means he is recovering well from the surgery.  Good chemo vibes for your father.  I hope they give him loads of anti-nausea meds.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 07:18:47 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2006, 07:13:59 PM »

No HBO for us.  We will have to wait for the DVD.

Ginny

« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2006, 07:14:32 PM »

Good Evening!

After leaving work 2 hours early, I came home and slept for almost 2 hours.  DH Richard and I then went out for dinner and picked up frozen yogurt and some grocery items for his mother.  We just returned from a nice visit with her.

DR Elmore - the Friends of Middletown Public Library will be having a used book sale the weekend you're in town - $5 per bag.  The sale is Friday, May 5, and Saturday, May 6, in the old Barnitz Bank building at Main & Central.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #193 on: April 22, 2006, 07:30:12 PM »

Hi, Jane!

A thunderstorm's coming.

Bye, Jane!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #194 on: April 22, 2006, 07:37:41 PM »

Bye Ginny-LOL-

I hope the thunderstorm passes quickly.  

François de Paris

« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2006, 07:44:31 PM »

Want to share this with those interested in all things "SONG OF THE SOUTH"!
This info is from Jim Hill at Jimhillmedia.com and is dated April 21!

Well, if you have to own a physical copy of "Song of the South," then -- yes -- I'd suggest that you go ahead with purchasing one of those illegal dubs of the Japanese "SOTS" laser disc.

On the other hand, if you can wait a few years ... Well, I've been hearing that the Mouse is now planning on making "Song of the South" -- along with many other rare Disney movies, shorts & TV shows -- available for viewing via the Net. For a price, of course.

As I understand it, the Walt Disney Company (in the not-so-distant future) reportedly plans on setting up a heavily encrypted web site where Disneyana fans & film buffs will then find a wide variety of extremely appealing content. We're talking about the same sort of stuff that used to air as part of the Disney Channel 's old "Vault Disney" programming block. 50-year-old episodes of the "Disneyland" TV show, "True-Life Adventures" films. There's even been talk that this site would be a showcase for all of those old Oswald the Lucky Rabbit shorts that the company recently acquired.

And among the many films that would be available for viewing on this Disney-owned web site will be "Song of the South." Now please note that I used the word "viewing," rather than "downloading." The whole point of heavily encrypting this site is that Disneyana fans will not be able to record any of the movies, shorts or TV shows that they're viewing. More to the point, every time that you want to see one of the programs that are on file at this web site, you're going to have to pay for the privilege.

The beauty of this plan is ... Disney gets to eat its cake and have it too. The studio gets to take all of these old titles that it currently has in its film library -- movies like "Song of the South," which haven't generated any real income for the company in years -- and turn them back into earners. But -- at the same time -- Disney gets to keep "SOTS" away from easily-offended types. You know, those thin-skinned consumers who would scream bloody murder were they to ever spy this allegedly racist motion picture for sale at their local Walmart

François de Paris

« Reply #196 on: April 22, 2006, 07:51:51 PM »

Bye Ginny-LOL-

I hope the thunderstorm passes quickly.  

Quickly??? Are you kidding?

That thunderstorm's name is BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #197 on: April 22, 2006, 07:56:15 PM »

Oops! Sorry! There's some more left of the Jim Hill comment so..... here's Johnny!

No!

Here it is!

"The downside of this plan is ... Well, given that Disney is only now getting ready to launch the two month trial of its new download-ABC-programs-for-free web site (You know, the one that will allow you to view full episodes of "Lost" & "Desperate Housewives" -- complete with commercials -- on your home PC?) ... Well, it will likely be a couple of years before the company is actually ready to launch the Net version of "Vault Disney."

So -- when you factor all that in -- we're probably talking 2010, 2011 before this actually happens. Which would be just in time for "Song of the South" 's 65th anniversary.

So as I said earlier ... If you can just wait a few years, chances are that you'll finally have access to "Song of the South" as well as a slew of other Disney rareties. Here's hoping that the price that we have to pay for access to this "Vault Disney" web site isn't all that expensive."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 07:57:10 PM by François »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #198 on: April 22, 2006, 08:18:36 PM »

Have had a full evening of video entertainment, some wonderful and some not so.

Began with the laserdisc of ATHENA. Of course, I know DR M Barnum would forgive it anything due to its display of muscle hunks popping up at regular junctures. Steve Reeves, of course, was something to behold, and he and Richard Sabre are beefy eyefuls.

But if the laserdisc transfer is any indication of what ATHENA looked like in theaters, it could not be more lackluster. The Eastmancolor is rather dull and it has only mono sound, adequate for the less than inspiring Hugh Martin/Ralph Blane tunes.

I haven't seen ATHENA since I first bought this laserdisc in the mid-1990s, and it'll probably be another 10 years before I watch it again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: April 22, 2006, 08:24:13 PM »

Next came the documentary PARAGRAPGH 175 on one of the HBO channels. I only saw the first 50 minutes of it since it extended past the starting time of ELIZABETH I, so I've set the DVR to catch the next broadcast which will be recorded so I can watch the whole thing.

For those not in the know, the film concerns personal stories of German homosexuals persecuted during the Nazi regime, produced and directed for those responsible for STORIES OF THE QUILT and THE TIMES OF HARVEY MILK. I look forward to seeing this entire film. I have managed to miss it every time it has been shown, and finally I should be able to see the entire thing within the next few days.

Cillaliz

« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2006, 08:27:21 PM »

JRand- I not only got you an autographed book, I got you mary Badham's email and phone numbers so you can contact her in case you would like her to appear at your production. Don't know what she charges, but she does go to a lot of schools and does presentations on the issues in Mockingbird. So, it could be an opportunity to bring the schools into a project with the theatre. Just a thought.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2006, 08:30:30 PM »

Here's a "Then" photo

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2006, 08:31:16 PM »

ELIZABETH I was quite a treat. I've always found the woman a fascinating subject, and every film and series in which she has appeared has always been rather better due to her presence.

I think Glenda Jackson's performance will always be my favorite; she got the joy of covering her from her teens through her death, a monumental achievement.

But Helen Mirren certainly plays it for all its worth. Picking up Elizabeth in her middle age period (which corresponds to Jackson's third episode of ELIZABETH R - "Shadow in the Sun"), it's a grand spectacle and yet also quite an intimate character study of the queen and her court. Jeremy Irons is perfect casting for Leister. and I liked all of the casting of the men in her court as well.

Because it's HBO, there is far more graphic violence on display than in ELIZABETH R, and, of course, much more reliance on location shooting rather than studio bound sets. But it's stupendously majestic and worthy of such a queen.

Yes, bring on Part II quickly! (Argh! We have to wait until Monday evening).

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2006, 08:38:14 PM »

I completed my evening's viewing with the first hour of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA on DVD. I'll tell you why I picked it up.

I spent a good portion of the morning reading reviews of people who have been watching the new HD-DVD players and films which debuted this week. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is one of the films which was in the first wave of HD-DVD releases.

And for those who are curious, the reports have been mixed. Sterling picture and sound, of course, but every review I've read has made a point of saying that the detailed and pristine images aren't the MAJOR upgrade to DVD that going from VHS to DVD was. Thus, on most high definition equipment, folks aren't going to see a tremendous difference in quality. A difference, yes, but a difference worth several hundred dollars expense of upgrading DVD players and potentially receivers to enjoy the upgrade? Probably not for the average consumer.

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2006, 08:53:02 PM »

I have a question for all you book/movie people.  They are taking suggestions for next year's One Book One Siouxland. They want a book that has been made into a movie, suitable for Jr High age and older, and that we could bring in someone associated with the book or movie.

A lot of people came to the movie because Mary Badham was here, so we want to be able to bring in someone next year.

They are tossing around Catch-22 and In Cold Blood - not sure if there is anyone to bring in on those, though.  Anyone have ideas?

MBarnum

« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2006, 08:55:05 PM »

Cillaliz, I love the picture of you and Scout...and wouldn't that be fantastic if she could make a visit to Indiana!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2006, 08:56:18 PM »

Cillaliz, I love the picture of you and Scout...and wouldn't that be fantastic if she could make a visit to Indiana!!!

She said that they put on the play every year in Monroeville, AL and every year she appears at the final performance, so it wouldn't be crazy. I didn't ask for her contact info, btw, she offered it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2006, 08:58:59 PM »

She had some great stories. She retired from acting at age 14, lol. She never wanted to be an actress, she wanted to be a large animal vet. Anyway, her mother was into acting and wanted her to go to the cattle call and her father (who was 60 years old when she was born) was totally against it.  Her mother said "Oh come on, what are the chances she'd get cast anyway"

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2006, 09:14:50 PM »

Well, no sooner do I post that about reviewers saying there wasn't a tremendous quality difference between standard DVD and HD-DVD than I read Robert Harris' comments at the HTF. He is on the other side of the fence claiming four times the detail and resolution from DVD to HD-DVD. He overwhelmingly endorses it, the first such blanket endoresement I've read.

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2006, 09:15:21 PM »

And now I'm off to bed.

Good night, all!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up