Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BK VS. THE MACHINES  (Read 25971 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:BK VS. THE MACHINES
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2004, 12:01:49 PM »

The Damned score is not as good as I remember it.  In fact, it's somewhat tedious thus far.  I may take it off.  I remember it as being much more dramatic.  I must have DRAMA in my life! DRAMA, do you hear?!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2004, 12:04:33 PM »

Am I the only person who has no desire whatsoever to the the Mel Gibson Jesus movie?  

The marketing effort on this picture has proved the notion that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Inasmuch my sensitivity to anti-Semitism runs rather high, I am very anxious to see what objective reviewers have to say next week when the film opens.

If there is opinion that the movie offers artistic merit, yes, I will see it.

If there is divided opinion as to whether the film is anti-Semitic, I will see it and decide for myself.

If there is consensus, however, that the picture is bald-faced anti-Semitic propaganda, I will skip the opportunity to line Mr. Gibson's pockets with my money.  That would prevent me from criticizing the movie myself, as I do not criticize works of art (even when qualified with a "so-called") that I have not seen, read or heard first-hand.  If the film is as inflammatory as some people are leading us to believe, my boycott would be a stronger course of action than my criticism, I believe.  Then again, I'm not Frank Rich.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 12:16:14 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2004, 12:06:53 PM »

This should cheer up some folks:

Attack of the Gay Agenda

der Brucer (it takes time to load, but it's fun to watch)

Thanks for sharing!  A wonderful encapsulation of the situation.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2004, 12:07:02 PM »

CharlesPogue I just came running in to modify my post and correct the spelling-sorry about that.  

We would like to see the movie with your original script.  I'm sorry it was such a dissapoinment to you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 12:07:35 PM by Jane »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2004, 12:14:19 PM »

If there is divided opinion as to whether the film is anti-Semitic, I will see it and decide for myself.

I believe I read he took out the objectionable parts.

I have mixed feeling about this.  As much as I would like to see the movie and decide for myself, I don’t want to support anti-Semitism with my money.  Of course I have to see the movie in order to have an educated opinion.

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2004, 12:22:05 PM »

Oh, and you know, I rarely ask for them, but I really could use some of our potent Hainsies/Kimlets good vibes coming in my direction for a variety and also a hollywood reporter of reasons.
Positive OZ vibes aplenty are on their way BK. Thanks for the comment re "Fireflies"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2004, 12:23:33 PM »

Still catching up:

Re:  Maurice Jarre.  I find him oddly disconcerting (no pun intended) on a fairly regular basis.  Too often his music makes me aware that he's there, which, in film, is not a good thing.

Re:  Barbara Harris.  Is the old forum still searchable?  I won't repeat my Barbara Harris stories, other than to say I probably have one of the hugest archives of Harris glossies that were found in a locked cabinet many years ago in a rather strange circumstance, but which came from Ms. Harris herself.  I believe the full details are in posts of yore.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2004, 12:24:52 PM »

In re Mel Gibson's Passion:

Marketing?  All these people that you couldn't drag to a French movie that isn't dubbed will now flock to listen to two hours of Latin and Aramaic.  That's what marketing can do.  The Anti-Semitic charge will bring $$$ to the box office.

I'm just interested in where they got Aramaic-speaking actors.  And I'm just a-betting that the Latin pronunciation will be Church-Latin, i.e. pronounced like Italian, rather than Classical.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 12:26:17 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2004, 12:32:43 PM »

It is the eviscerated carcass of a once-glossy-hided beautiful beast.

Gee, with phrases like that you should become a writer.

der Brucer (wondering what DR CP has to say about this critic's comment on Kull: "Yikes. Cribbed dialogue from The Empire Strikes Back is this film's only attempt at quality, and even that falls flat.")
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2004, 12:36:56 PM »

I think I've discussed Kull here (ad nauseam) in my Unseemingly Interview and several weeks (months?) back, I quoted portions of a scathing memo I had written to all concerned after I had seen a screening of it.

Actually shortly before the opening of the movie I got a very nice letter and autographed picture from Kevin Sorbo complimenting me (although he had never met me....also signed his autographed picture to Edward, not Charles Edward...which makes you wonder about sincerity) and telling me how true and faithful they had been to my "vision".  I think it was mostly bullshit and he was trying to butter me up, probably at the behest of the producer who knew I was going to come out in my considerable news media sources and trash my experiences with the film and her, which would trash the film by association (I wouldn't come out and outright trash the film during its initial run...there's contractual crap about that sort of thing...you always come out and say, "It was a very good script, my personal experience was horrible, I hoped they remained true to it and it's good film"...but you get what you want to say out without really saying it).

Anyway, I wrote Sorbo back a letter, included are choice bits:

"...that 'web of power, control, and egos' you mentioned got in the way...This has nothing, of course, to do with you, but it is old bad business between Ms. DeLaurentiis and myself on DRAGONHEART..."

"Story meetings and conferences were held with you to which I was not invited, decisions made without the input of the writer...Needless to say, my firing had nothing to do with artistry or the merits of the script.  The whole fiasco of my rewrite was designed to throw me off the script.  On more than one occasion, Ms. DeLaurentiis had called the original script 'a masterpiece' and 'work of genius'.  You do not replace a 'genius' (which I'm not)  or even a very good writer (which I am) with a lesser talent, which was done.  You don't dismantle a 'masterpiece' (which I'm not sure Kull is) or even a very good script (which Kull was)..."

"As a writer, I felt a great debt to the original creator of KULL, Robert E. Howard, and wanted to create the definitive Howard world, capturing his dark, moody, blood and thunder prose on screen...Mostly, I wanted a piece that, while embracing the genre, also transcended it...giving us multi-dimensional characters, rich plot, and vibrant dialogue...At one time we had accomplished that.  Three years ago,we had a script everyone admired and was a"go" script once we found an actor.  But..the voice of the writer who generated this project, conceived it, and made it viable was muzzled....I find no solace or even much sense in meticulously constructed, lauded work being mandhandled without the creator's input and approval."

Still, if they're running the sucker on cable, I'm getting residuals. So no artistic satisfaction; at least some financial satisfaction for my pains.   Actually, the script from which Janet Greek discovered me was a sword-and-sorcery script (alas, never done) THE GREYSTONE...it was probably one of the first ever written in this town.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2004, 12:37:11 PM »

I must have DRAMA in my life! DRAMA, do you hear?!

Easy, try and get DSL!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2004, 12:48:09 PM »

Der Brucer, I wonder if that critic may be my friend Jim Van Hise who printed my side of the sad story in several genre magazines and on the Howard website at the time and made a big deal of this "cribbed dialogue".  It was dialogue that my replacement "cribbed", not I.  Jim reported this and we discussed it in an interview, I remember. Of course, the carrion-eater replacement who pissed all over my work claims it was not "cribbed", but merely an intentional "homage."

JMK, I finished listening to Jarre's score for THE DAMNED.  Found it disappointingly mediocre on the whole.  I guess my tastes have become much more sophisticated over the years.  A Jarre score I'm kinda of fond of is the 1978 film of PRINCE & THE PAUPER, aka CROSSED SWORDS, which has a zippy main theme featuring whistling.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2004, 12:50:59 PM »

Yes, let's hear it for the gay agenda.

I don't know about the rest of you....but two more conversions, and I get my toaster!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 12:53:35 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2004, 12:51:17 PM »

According to the Diane Sawyer / Mel Gibson interview the other night the offending subtitle “His blood be upon us, and on our children has been removed from the final film, but the crowd can still be heard chanting it in Aramaic.  According to Mel, he does not believe that Jews for all eternity are damned because of this line, but he did not feel in the brief context that it was used in the film that he did not have the ability to explain all of the theological implications, so the subtitle was simply removed.

As for accents, since Mr. Caviezel is from the Pacific Northwest, you will probably hear Jesus mention is mother Merry, as well as Marry Magdalene.   
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2004, 01:04:01 PM »

Der Brucer, I wonder if that critic may be my friend Jim Van Hise

The critic in question is Luke Y. Thompson, as quoted on Rotten Tomatoes.

His states:

Hollywood, CA

BIO  

First published at the age of 10 when one of his poems was printed in a children's book in Ireland, Luke Y. Thompson had been an unofficial film critic for friends and family for many years before writing for the zines AteBall and his own KnifEdge, the latter of which caught the attention of the editors at the Los Angeles New Times, who were looking for a fresh perspective. Now syndicated throughout New Times Inc.'s 11 publications, Luke has won one L.A. Press Club award, and can reach an audience of as many as a million people a week. But what he really wants to do is direct. And act. And rule the world. Luke is a shameless self promoter, as anyone who's seen his website, lytrules.com, can attest, especially if they bought one of his T-shirts (or rather, LYT-shirts) while there.

FAVORITES  

2001, Wings (1922), Flash Gordon (1980), Citizen Kane, Eraserhead, Beetlejuice, Robocop, Gone With the Wind, Carnival of Souls, Lost Highway, The Empire Strikes Back (NON special edition only), The Crow, Fight Club, Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Gloom Beam

der Brucer (the first time I don't post a link....)

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2004, 01:07:48 PM »

As for accents, since Mr. Caviezel is from the Pacific Northwest, you will probably hear Jesus mention is mother Merry, as well as Marry Magdalene.   

Thanks you for the smile at Breakfast time TCB.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2004, 01:10:47 PM »

And in further Ahmanson Theatre news, it was just announced today that the slot this summer that originally was to have been taken by La Boheme will now be filled by the touring production of Little Shop of Horrors.  No casting has been announced as yet.

The first time it played in Los Angeles it was in back of a lamp shop in Westwood Village!
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2004, 01:13:27 PM »

Apropos of nothing.....

I didn't think there could be a scarier photograph of Miss Patty Duke than one of her in character as Neely O'Hara.  :P

I was wrong wrong wrong.   :o

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2004, 01:29:22 PM »

Re:  Barbara Harris.  Is the old forum still searchable?  I won't repeat my Barbara Harris stories, other than to say I probably have one of the hugest archives of Harris glossies that were found in a locked cabinet many years ago in a rather strange circumstance, but which came from Ms. Harris herself.  I believe the full details are in posts of yore.

JMK,

There seem to lots of Barbara Harris fans, myself included. I'd love to hear some of the stories.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2004, 01:29:41 PM »

Well, it seems more than one person noticed the carrion-eater's unimaginative "homage".

You know it's one thing to steal from a movie forty or fifty years old, but when you still from a cult classic from your own generation that's only twenty years old, you're setting yourself up to take shots.

Unfortunately, too many young writers think film began with STAR WARS and all they really do is keep trying to remake their favourite films from their youth...not do anything original.  Usually films that are derivative from something from the thirties or forties in the first place.  So we just keep getting so much recycled fare...only more diluted and bland...and faster and louder and less subtle, with none of the touches that made the original films great.

I suppose every writer steals (or, shall we say, is "inspired by"), but the key is in knowing what to steal from what film...They keep stealing the wrong stuff...usually the least interesting, most obvious stuff from the least interesting, most obvious films.  

And when you do steal, you have to know how to hide it and disguise it better. That "homage" crap only goes so far.

JB

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2004, 01:31:45 PM »

Wow!  Things have certainly changed around here!  This is insanity - very up-to-date - technologically speaking.  Is there anything one can't do on this site now?  I am very impressed!  Anyways, I am finally back on-line and can, once again, enjoy this wonderful site.  Since it took me awhile to browse through all the goodies on the site, I unfortunately have to be going now, but I will check back soon!  Hi Dad!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2004, 01:34:43 PM »

Is there anything one can't do on this site now?  

Yes - One can't sample all the wonderful food discussed here on a regular basis.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2004, 01:40:06 PM »

Wow!  Things have certainly changed around here!  This is insanity - very up-to-date - technologically speaking.  Is there anything one can't do on this site now?  I am very impressed!  Anyways, I am finally back on-line and can, once again, enjoy this wonderful site.  Since it took me awhile to browse through all the goodies on the site, I unfortunately have to be going now, but I will check back soon!  Hi Dad!

Hoo and Ray!  The Prodigal Daughter Has Returned!!!

Welcome home, Jennifer!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2004, 01:41:09 PM »

Welcome back JB and a belated welcome to "Dan the Man".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2004, 01:41:09 PM »

Well we have had this discussion before - and at the time, I didn't jump in.  But this I love movies, I want to work in movies, movies are my life....but talk to me about anything made before 1970....just really puts a crick in my pump handle.

Do they realize how dumb that is?  It is like saying...I love history, I want to teach history, history is my life....but I don't want to know about anything that happened before 1970 because it doesn't have anything to do with my life or work NOW!

Robin

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2004, 01:53:31 PM »

And when you do steal, you have to know how to hide it and disguise it better. That "homage" crap only goes so far.

In one of the "Dirty Harry" movies (don't ask me which one...they've all merged together in the aging gray matter), there's a music video director who's cobbling together an Exorcist-inspired opus.  And when he's accused of ripping off the material, he says with exasperation:

"It's not a rip-off...it's an homage."
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2004, 01:59:28 PM »

It is the eviscerated carcass of a once-glossy-hided beautiful beast.

I hope you will give me permission to say just that next time I am rewritten!
Which reminds me of the perfect Hollywood tale. A writer I knew had been slaving away at a pet project of a script for years. It was finally optioned and was going to be produced. Zowie! But (there's always a but) a major rewrite was needed - and not by our scribe, natch. They hired another writer, a woman, to do it.
So a week or two later our sad young scribe is at some party, drinking himself into oblivion to forget the pain, when he gets an emergency call from his agent.  "You're needed right away to do a re-write of a film that goes into production next week! They say you are the perfect one, the only one who can save them." Guess who wrote the script he was asked to rewrite?... The woman who was at that moment rewriting HIS script!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2004, 02:01:03 PM »

I believe I read he took out the objectionable parts.

I have mixed feeling about this.  As much as I would like to see the movie and decide for myself, I don’t want to support anti-Semitism with my money.  Of course I have to see the movie in order to have an educated opinion.

If you don't mind waiting, you could wait until your local library buys the DVD (and it will...when, or if, it is released) and get it for free (of course, your taxes probably pay for all the library materials any way).  That way you can see the movie to be able to form an educated opinion, and your money doesn't go directly to support any (potential) anti-Semitism.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Robin

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2004, 02:06:56 PM »

And as to the weekly media check:

On deeveedee:
The Critic, disc two of three.  
El Santo versus the Daughter of Frankenstein.  Ah, the wonders of the Mexican Wresting Horror movie!
The Saragossa Manuscript.  It's a head-scratcher.  I liked it, but it confused the beejeezus out of me.  I'll watch it again fairly soon, when I have another three hours to burn.

On ceedee:
Psycho by Bernard Herrmann, re-recorded by Joel McNeely.  As much of a masterpiece as this score is, I think it's a better listening experience as a suite, rather than the whole darn thing.  Too much repetition.   (I know this is blasphemy as far as most film music fans go...but in this case, they're wrong.)
Sketches on "Star Wars" by The Trotter Trio.  Fun, fun, fun!  (I hope it sold well, BK!)
The Ennio Morricone Anthology on Rhino Records.
Enter the Dragon and The Hellstrom Chronicle by Lalo Schifrin.  (Why isn't this guy working in Hollywood more these days?  He's one of the few film score composers out there these days that I wouldn't hesitate to call a genius.  He does it all, and he does it all spendidly.)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2004, 02:28:14 PM »

Good afternoon!

What a gorgeous day!  I'm so glad I went out for a walk!  -And I even came across at very nice sale at my favorite knick-knack/home decor/gift store!  50-90% OFF!  I picked up one of those mouse pads that look like oriental rugs - and they're even woven in Turkey too!  -At least that's what the label says.  I almost bought one at full-price, but at 1/2 price, I just had to! :)

Oohh.. and I also came across some other new low-carb goodies... I'll report back later.

DR Jennifer - Around here, most if not all the supermarkets carry at least one brand of low-carb ice cream.  Atkins' Lo-Carb ice cream is even sold at 7-11s - well, 7-11 has a direct tie-in promotion with Atkins.  And, as I mentioned before, I've seen a brand or two in Wal-Mart.  You may have to look for them.  Some stores put them in the "diet" section.  Some put them in the "health food/all natural" section.  And some put them right in with the regular stuff.  My local Ukrop's has the Atkins Endulge right next to the Ben & Jerry's... ah, well.  Happy Hunting!

Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up