Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: HARMONY IN THE UNIVERSE  (Read 28877 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re:HARMONY IN THE UNIVERSE
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2007, 08:46:53 AM »

Good morning, HHW!

Bio-pics:
I, too, enjoyed DELOVELY.

I also enjoyed SHINE. When SHINE first came out friends talked about what a great film it was, but that it was sooo depressing. My father had just passed away and it was a difficult time for me, so I shied away from it. It was only several years later that I saw the film. What an impact! Kudos to Geoffrey Rush!

And, like TOMOVOZ, I liked LA VIE EN ROSE quite a bit.

In the mini-series arena, THE DUCHESS OF DUKE STREET, which I've mentioned before, is an old favorite.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 09:17:31 AM by Jeanne »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2007, 08:47:02 AM »

Reaching page 3?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2007, 08:47:28 AM »

INTERLOPER Jeanne!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2007, 08:47:47 AM »

I wish that had the same impact for me as the 10th season of "Frasier"....but, alas....

No, but even the final two seasons of the show (7th and 8th) had episodes of real quality, humor, and pathos. I'll have to wait to find one a bit more attractively priced.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up...  And I believe I'm giving myself the day off.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2007, 08:48:53 AM »

DR JMK and anyone else in the discussion of "The Real McCoy's" yesterday:

I threw out a "Honey Babe" quote and asked if that had any resonance re: the TV show.

It SHOULD have been "Sugar Babe", which is what Richard Crenna's character called Kathleen Nolan's character in virtually EVERY episode.

Well, no wonder we didn't get it!  ;)  

(I didn't get it in either case.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2007, 08:48:54 AM »

No, but even the final two seasons of the show (7th and 8th) had episodes of real quality, humor, and pathos. I'll have to wait to find one a bit more attractively priced.

Moi, aussi!

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2007, 08:49:46 AM »

Boy, we sure veer off course in regards to our reactions to DE-LOVELY. I really loathed much of it. Only John Barrowman and Kevin McKidd's appearances in it made me buy a used copy (for less than $1).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2007, 08:51:01 AM »

I've got pre-orders in on the HD-DVD "Harry Potter" box, "The Bourne Ultimatum" and the 5-disc "Blade Runner" (I had pre-ordered the ultimate collector's edition, but I am having so much trouble finding storage room for all the boxes and ephemera of other collector's editions of things I've purchased in the past that I've cancelled that order and gone with the cheaper set -- still has the same content on 5 discs, but minus the attache case, the "probably-cheap-a-la-'Robby-the-Robot'-spinner-car-and-unicorn" -- and the printed materials, including photos).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 08:53:26 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2007, 08:51:52 AM »

Off to check the mail and then start fixing lunch.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2007, 08:52:12 AM »

...I actually slept through my alarm this morning.  Well, at least I never heard the radio go off at 7:30.  Usually I recall hearing something, but when I finally opened my eyes around 9:15, well...  Then when I reopened my eyes a little before 11:00... Well.. I guess I needed the sleep, rest.

And the sun is out today too!  Hmm... It has been a couple of months since I've been to the Reservoir... Hmm... :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2007, 08:52:31 AM »

INTERLOPER Jeanne!

:D

That's right! First, she tries to post at the exact second as DR Kerry is posting and messes up the format, THEN she interrupts DR Ron's post! Where's the bitch-slap machine??

Michael

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »

February 2008 (no release date)

Susan Egan Live! with Christopher McGovern
(LML - new on 2 CDs)

Recorded at Curtis theatre in Brea, CA September 30 and October 1, 2006. Track list: Opening Medley, "Joshua Noveck," "How Lovely to Be a Woman," "Times Like This," Rodgers and Hammerstein Medley, "My Funny Valentine," "Taylor, the Latte Boy," "Compromise," "Someone to Watch Over Me," "Thoroughly Modern Millie/Jimmy," "Cabaret," "If I Only Had a Brain/Lion Tamer," "Disney Heroine Medley," "It's a Good Thing He Can't Read My Mind," "The Last Song," Pregnancy Medley, "I Dreamed a Dream," Beauty and the Beast Medley, "Gimme, Gimme," "When You Wish Upon a Star." Musical Director/arrangements: Christopher McGovern. Produced by Bruce Kimmel
Never stop dreaming.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2007, 08:54:22 AM »

Glad to see DR JULIE here today. Hope she'll be able to be here more often.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2007, 08:54:33 AM »

That's right! First, she tries to post at the exact second as DR Kerry is posting and messes up the format, THEN she interrupts DR Ron's post! Where's the bitch-slap machine??

She only got the first post in on page 3....which was truly all right by me ( ;) )

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2007, 08:56:01 AM »

congrats to DR GEORGE on his recent bargains! He's now tied with DR CILLALIZ for the bargain-hunter of HHW.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2007, 09:00:23 AM »

As for Bio Pics...

"The Music Lovers" - Just for the sheer excess of it all.  Although all of those Ken Russell composer bio-pics are full of excesses.
"Amadeus"
"Shine"
"Catch Me If You Can"
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2007, 09:02:03 AM »

I liked when Granpa and Luke used their gun money to buy Kate a new dress, and then proceeded to redecorate it with tons of bows, rickrack, and geegaws.....

And I always thought Hassie McCoy was a pretty darn sophisticated name for a girl with a pony tail.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2007, 09:02:47 AM »

And of course in the book discussion I forgot to mention all of my BK inscribed tomes.  GRRRRRRRRRRR....prized and read often.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2007, 09:12:11 AM »

Having finished watching WITH A SONG IN MY HEART last night, I have a question for BK and all the DRS:

What are your favorite film biographies, whether they be true to life or not?
Films don't have biographies - they have documentaries made about them which are then included in the DVD release.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2007, 09:13:37 AM »

RE: last night's DANCING WITH THE STARS

WINNER RESULTS ANNOUNCED

Well like DR Cillaliz i found last night's results rewarding. I had not read any spoilers. BUt these were the results i thought were fair (and what i was sort of expecting).

I was glad marie went out first. Although it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if she had performed great like she did last week.

And while i thought mel b had more natural talent, i don't think she worked as hard as helio did.  If she had had the time to put in the work, i think she could have been brilliant.

As for helio he was my favorite from the start. And him and julianne together are the cutest couple ever. And they were really great last night! Yeah!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2007, 09:13:49 AM »

Now that you've all heard about DR Jeanne and the Missing Package, may I add a tidbit or two? Yes, BK BELIEVED the PO when they said they'd delivered it. I spent part of Thanksgiving morning knocking on my neighbors' doors trying to find said package, thinking the mail carrier had left it someplace "safe." This is the PO's "Get to Know Your Neighbors" program. Mail is delivered to the correct block--well, sometimes--then we all get to sort out who's who, as we try to get it to the correct party. It was only because I know many of my neighbors that it occurred to me what might have happened, and thus went to that address, to have my suspicions confirmed. Even once I knew what had happened, it was impossible to resolve with a phone call, because the PO has both of their published phone numbers set up on automated systems, WHERE, UNLIKE MOST AUTOMATED SYSTEMS, YOU CANNOT REACH A REAL PERSON. Thus, your chances of actually resolving any problems are nil. I had to go in person to TWO postal facilities. Fortunately, I found a supervisor who listened, seemed competent, and tried to help. But by this time the package was on its way back to California and we couldn't stop it.

For everyone who uses the PO delivery confimations, this package was still listed as DELIVERED, even after it'd been returned to sender several days before. That piece of information was not updated. Apparently, at least in my neighborhood, DELIVERED means that the package was left at some address, not necessarily the correct address or to the person intended. It can show as DELIVERED, even when the addressee has never even the package. Please bear this in mind when you check delivery confirmations.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2007, 09:16:05 AM »

ASK BK

If you were to act in a film or play portraying a living or dead (or both) person who would it be?
So, why would our esteemed BK want to play a corpse?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2007, 09:16:54 AM »

TCB,

I have not interviewed Mr. Dave Draper.......

...however, back when I was working on my Reg Lewis interview he and his lovely wife loaned me some old bodybuilding magazines which had Reg on the cover and that I needed for the article. Dave and Laree are super nice people, and I always thought Dave was very, very funny on the episode of The Beverly Hillbillies that he guest starred in.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2007, 09:19:37 AM »

Must take care of some errands.

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2007, 09:20:29 AM »

Wednesday afternoon greetings!  Just got to work for my 12-9 shift, which includes teaching Grantseeking Basics this evening.  I had a nice sleep-in until almost 8am, then did a little puttering at home.

Film bios - Frida, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Shakespeare in Love, HBO's Elizabeth starring Helen Mirren.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »

My favorite film bios are THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA (1937) and BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST (1941) which stars Greer Garson as Edna Gladney who helps little nameless babies.

singdaw

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2007, 09:23:28 AM »

DR MBarnum, what's her left hand doing?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2007, 09:28:34 AM »

DR MBarnum, what's her left hand doing?

She is stealing his wallet, I bet.  :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »

Wherever her hand is, he sure is smiling!   :o
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up