Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WE AIN'T DOWN YET  (Read 27520 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WE AIN'T DOWN YET
« on: May 20, 2006, 12:10:07 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you were down with the notes, the notes were down with you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they'll be home, never fear - they ain't down yet.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 12:22:04 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WE AIN'T DOWN YET
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:11:14 AM »

And the word of the day is: FASTIDIOUS!

As opposed to: SLOWIDIOUS!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 04:23:08 AM »

Good morning, all!  Dear Friend BK, I have great faith this current state of affairs will all end up to your advantage.  Unfortunately, college theatre is often the same as community theatre, and you're stuck casting what you can.   It isn't professional theatre, although I think it's great you're setting standards for the students.  I'm actually surprised you're doing an original show for this workshop and not tackling a show you've always wanted to do.  I wish you the best in the next couple of weeks.

I have to do some Mario fixes this morning before I drop it off on my way to Toyland.

TOD:  Memorial Day weekend, 1984.  I was doing arrangements for a cruise line entertainment company (oy! the bands were awful) and I had a deadline.  I think for the 4 day weekend - Friday to Monday - I got no more than 2-3 hours sleep a night.  My whole memory of the ordeal is turning the scores in to the copyist and going immediately to bed.  Thank God for NoDoz and instant coffee.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 04:48:27 AM »

24 hours.....once when I went to Paramount's King's Island.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 04:51:34 AM »

ZOMBIE KIMMEL - well as they told Miss Sylvia Barrett in UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE:  "Let it be a challenge to you."

Sending you the best of theatre vibes - your cast members who have listened and who care and who WANT to do the show you want to do, will carry it through.  Those are the ones who will do MORE if you want them to, and the audience will know.

I also say - READ THE BRAIN.....it will be a lynch-pin for the show rather than one more "I don't care" attitude onstage.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 04:51:54 AM »

DR ELMORE is fixing Mario.  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 04:52:26 AM »

Working today, and then we have our Open House at PCPH tomorrow.  Whew!  Is it summer already?  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 05:01:58 AM »

DR ELMORE is fixing Mario.  :)

Oy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 05:48:20 AM »

Vey!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 06:21:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: FASTIDIOUS!

As opposed to: SLOWIDIOUS!
A group of dieters with very low IQs decided to lock themselves in a bank vault with eat nothing but breath mints and cotton candy for a whole month, just watching over each other and not getting a doctor to give an opinion or monitor their condition.  When, after the month was over, the vault was opened and they were all found to be dead, the press had a field day, nicknaming the group the fast idious.

I didn't get that much sleep last night, that's the best I can come up with right now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 06:23:09 AM »

BK, I am sending lots of positive theater vibes your way.  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~ POSITIVE THEATER VIBES FOR BK ~~~~~~[/move]

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 06:25:40 AM »

I have to do some Mario fixes this morning before I drop it off on my way to Toyland.
It's a good thing Mario isn't a dog - veterinary medicine isn't something to be attempted by amateurs.   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 06:34:50 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vibes to BK for a good theater day!

I am off to Meetingland again.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 06:35:26 AM »

DR SWoody, I am so glad Angela got a home! Good luck on this next one -- he is very handsome!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 06:36:23 AM »

Yesterday, der Brucer and I went to a movie theater to see The DaVinci Code.  We both sort of liked it, but agreed that it wasn't as good a film as it could have been.

If there is a serious flaw in the film, it stems from copying the book too closely in structure.  What worked on the page - specifically, very short chapters that switch in turn from one location and story thread to another and then back again - ended up being distracting on film.  That's a screenwriting problem.

The other flaw is harder to repair, and is a direction problem.  For a film that deals with religious topics, it contains very little in the way of exaltation.  The thrill of faith was missing, except when Ian McKellan's character was explaining his theories concerning the painting "The Last Supper."  Other than that, nearly every character who was acting because of their beliefs behaved as if their faith was a burden.  The result was a film that felt leaden, even when it wasn't.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 06:38:14 AM »

Thank-you, DearReaderLaura, although most of the credit goes to der Brucer.

We'll be driving up to meet Blackie today, and der B has decided to take Fletcher with us.  That's going to make for a very crowded car!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 06:41:00 AM »

Last evening, Cillaliz said:
Today was the last day of school for the summer....well that's how it feels.

Well, I guess the same is true for me.  As of yesterday, I am officially off of work for the next six to eight weeks.  
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 06:41:02 AM »

Yesterday's TOD:

Car CD player:

- a disc by Christine Andreas, which we both didn't care for much.

- Brent Barrett's Alan Jay Lerner disc, which we both enjoy.

- the OBCR of Sweet Smell of Success, after which der B declared "Well, I don't see us playing that one again."

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2006, 06:43:51 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  It's a work day for me and the organization that asked me several months ago to do a program called yesterday to cancel it.  Oh, well, I have plenty to keep me busy this morning instead.

Vibes to BK - yours is the kind of situation that makes my hands break out.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2006, 06:49:01 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  It's a work day for me and the organization that asked me several months ago to do a program called yesterday to cancel it.  Oh, well, I have plenty to keep me busy this morning instead.

Vibes to BK - yours is the kind of situation that makes my hands break out.

Q:  What did the convict do when he found out he was allergic to prsion??

A:  He broke out.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 09:16:15 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2006, 06:54:10 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful breezy morning here. At some point during the night, it rained, and it rained pretty hard because the ground was soaked this morning, and there was still plenty of water dripping from the trees this morning when I went out to get the newspaper. I slept through all of it. The best night's sleep I've had in weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2006, 06:58:30 AM »

We also went to the Borders in Newark, where der B found a few things for the grandlads, who have birthdays coming up.  He also found DVDs to add to our collection:

- a set of Wodehouse Playhouse

- a set of Carl Sagan's Cosmos

- and a set of Leonard Bernstein's Young People's Concerts.

Me, I found a DVD copy of Doctor Who: City of Death, co-written by Douglas Adams.  That's the one where they did some filming in Paris, but didn't take guest stars Julian Glover and Catherine Schell with them.  It's also the one where part of the story involves the Louvre and the Mona Lisa, in more intriguing ways than they were used in The DaVinci Code.  Which brought the day around on itself again.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2006, 06:59:07 AM »

The longest I ever stayed up was also 24 hours when I was a senior in high school. After the last performance of the senior class play, the cast went to the river house of one of the cast members, and we had an all-night party. It's the only time in my life I stayed up all night and didn't go to sleep until bedtime of the next day.

In college lots of folks did all-nighters preparing for tests and exams or doing term papers, but I was never one of those. I had to have a decent night's sleep or I couldn't function the next day. Of course, I was also prepared for my tests and papers so that staying up all night wasn't necessary. I was always that way as a student. My nerves would never have allowed me to put off preparing for anything until the last minute.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2006, 07:01:11 AM »

Nothing on TV today or tonight for me, so I'll be DVDing it all day today. Have pretty much exhausted the things on the DVR, so it'll be DVDs for the entire day. Looking forward to STARGATE and THE PRODUCERS.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2006, 07:10:44 AM »

Perusing yesterday's posts, I noticed a reference to The Battered Bride.

I can't find anything in any of my cookbooks, but I could probably make up a recipe if I had to.  The main question, of course, would be how the batter is to be used: baked, griddled, or deep fried?

Hmmm, maybe a bridal gown made of funnel cake, dusted with powdered sugar?  That could be fun!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2006, 07:44:31 AM »

Bruce - best vibes to you today. Been there, done that. Oy. Don't envy you - that's the spirit of "breaking into this biz is like breaking into Fort Knox; breaking out, we're talking Alcatraz."

Wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner had a lot of the same elements - except they were The Elements - of the Nature Can Be Cruel To Brides variety. The happy couple want to be married on the beach at Oxnard. Okay - here's a canopy and some chairs for the guests. Wedding at 5:30. Rehearsal in the same exzackt spot at the same exzackt time yesterday... fog rolls in, moisture, temperatures drop into the low fifties... bride will be in backless strapless gown, bridesmaids in halter top gauzy dresses - all freezing for a good half hour, while our childhood chum, The Federal Judge goes through the whole megillah...

So, Jilly, wanna move this sucker INSIDE? Nope, I always dreamed of a wedding on the beach - I don't care if I freeze to death. Okey-doke. Now I'm thinking I have to somehow get Catering to provide blankets on each of two hundred chairs at some point today. And maybe we can find four or six of those big patio heaters, that They use on patios for outdoor dining? Oy.

Then, we all adjourned to the Rehearsal Dinner that my sister Tami has planned for 35 of us... also OUTSIDE ON A PATIO. Except, when we got to the restaurant, it was raining on the patio... so they had to create seating in various areas of the restaurant without disturbing the quite full reservations list... oy. Bride very agitated, my sister gobbling ulcer medication... Today should be interesting...
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2006, 07:48:07 AM »

DR PennyO - wedding & weather vibes to your family!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2006, 08:02:17 AM »

Longest I have gone without sleep - well, in a lifetime of chronic insomnia, yet one weekend lives forever in my memory for sheer endurance, emotion, strangeness and Auld Lang Syne. Ten days before their deaths, I had the weekend shift both nights with my parents. I had been asleep for about an hour, when "something" awakened me. I tiptoed into their room, and didn't see my mother OR father. I went towards the bathroom to check, and found my dad on the floor wedged partly under his side of the bed. Okay - it took nearly 20 minutes for me to unwedge him and then lift him from behind. Then another half hour to get him into the wheelchair and to the bathroom, hose him down, change him, change the sheets, change him again and get him back into bed. All this time, wondering where the hell my mom is...

I'll never forget tucking him in, hey, Dad, we had an adventure, huh? And he smiled and said, Thanks, Penny.

Then I tracked her down in the kitchen, "preparing" breakfast for him. It had taken her the whole hour to bring out pots and pans to the table, carry the entire knife block, with all the knives to the table, and put various items in various configurations around the room. Took me until 6 ayem to convince her it was night time, let's get to bed. (The Thing was eating her brain... she was very confused, but still In Control Of The Whole World). That stuff went on for the whole next day and night - and Monday morning when Tami got in at 6:45, I took off. Grueling, yes. Physically exhausting. Messy. Disturbing. heartbreaking. It became a Zen exercise, and I loved them so much. That weekend is one of my tenderest memories of my whole life with those two wacky little Jews.
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2006, 08:10:52 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Trying to get things done before she of the Evil Eye arrives.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2006, 08:11:34 AM »

Ginny - thanks! At the party last night, I passed out wishbones - I had been saving them for a year, and had more than enough to go around. And we all held ends of the wishbones with the people next to us in a big circle and Wished Them Well... and wished for sun today. We'll see how that works!
PennyO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up