Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIVELY AND SPARKLING TEETH  (Read 17638 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THE LIVELY AND SPARKLING TEETH
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2004, 01:27:26 PM »

What's wedding soup?

It's usually a beef broth soup that at least contains meatballs and a couple of different greens like spinach or escarole.  But I've had it packed to the brim with other ingredients such as chicken,  pasta, carrots and potatoes.  Sometimes some grated cheese on top.  Yummmm.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2004, 01:29:42 PM »

Page Three Soup-A-Baloo!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2004, 01:43:08 PM »

Great page three photo!

The cast for the PHANTOM tour we are seeing includes Gary Mauer as Erik and Rebecca Pitcher as Christine.  Any DR's ever see or work with either of them.  It seems that Mrs Mauer also travels with the troup and plays Christine at specific performances.  Since we are seeing a Sunday matinee, we may get to see a Mr and Mrs!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2004, 01:44:18 PM »

DR Jennifer, I would recommend that you avoid cream soups of any sort.  In your case this would not be because of the kashruth, but simply because you should avoid all dairy products when troubled with a cold.  Dairy products have a way of increasing the production of phlegm, which I would imagine you would want to avoid.

Thanks, I did not know this.  I have never actually tried cream of celery soup by itself (so not sure if I would like it).

But you guys reminded me of a few kinds of soup I love.

First is clam chowder. I think I may go and get some.

I also used to love chicken and rice when I was little. And chicken gumbo.  Do they still make that?

Hmmm, clam chowder has milk in it, doesn't it? :(

I also feel like wonton (and I know they sell this at the grocery store).  And i'm still craving Hot and Sour.  So maybe I can go to the restaurant and pick some up.

So far today I've had chicken noodle cup-a-soup.  And grapefruit juice. And clementines.  And ice cream.  But I'm really not very hungry.  Although for some reason I am craving tuna casserole (which I haven't had in probably a year).  So I will make that tonight!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2004, 01:46:35 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm home!  Well, almost.  I'm at my parents' house in Fairfax right now, and I'll be heading down to Richmond after rush hour.

Getting out of Houston turned out to be a not so pleasant experience for a bunch of in the show.  Almost all of us were dropped off at the same time, and all of us were on the same airline (one of the sponsors of the theatre).  Well...

-What's the point of those self-serve check-in desks when you still have to wait for a live person to check your ID and tag your luggage?

-Said airline also didn't have a bunch of us "in the system" since the tickets were booked through the theatre.  They had to dig up my booking via my name, social security number and my frequent flyer number.  The joys of e-tickets!

-A lot of us were also hit with fees for having luggage over the current weight limit.  Mind you, none of us were hit with the fees coming into Houston - and I know I actually had less in my checked bags going back!  So, when I told the lady who was checking me in that I was not charged when I flew into Houston, she promptly came back with, "Well, you know, I could actually go ahead and charge you NOW for both ways!"  -And the exclamation point (!) was in her voice.  It was only $25.00, but still... some people got hit with two $25.00 fees, one for each piece of checked luggage.

-And continuing about the weight limit issue... One of the ladies in the cast noticed that depending where she placed her bag on the scale, the weight difference was quite noticable.  From 61 lbs. to 43 lbs.!  In other words, from $25.00 to $0.00.  The guy checking her in then kept insisting that he had to go by the first weight that came up on the scale.  WHAT?!?!?!?!  I tried to stay until a supervisor came by, but since my flight was starting to board... I can't wait for the update.

-Going through security was also a chore!  "I'm sorry, you're only allowed two carry-ons. Period!"  So, they were making people - everyone, not just those in my group - stuff their lunch bags(!) into their other bags.  They were even counting bags of food just bought as a "third piece"  WHAT?!?!?!?  Then, apparently, there have been some updates to the TSA screening rules since we flew in five weeks ago.  All shoes had to be taken off.  No exceptions.  And if you refused or questioned, then you were pulled aside for the extra security check.  I almost got very upset with the TSA official... I always wear sneakers with no metal in them, and I've NEVER had to take them off.  Ever!  But now?!?!?  And then one of the ladies who had her dog with her, was asked to take all collars and leashes off her dog and put them through the x-ray machine, and then walk through the metal detector carrying her dog.  Now, that's sort of understandable, but, again, she did not have to go through that going in.  And then the TSA agent who was in charge of putting the items onto the moving belt into the x-ray machine did not want to touch the plastic bin with the collar and leash in it!  "I don't do dogs!"  WHAT?!?!?!?  Well, since I was next in line, I put them on the moving belt.  -Of course, technically, I could have been pulled over right then and there for doing that since I was now "interfering" with the security screening, but if the TSA agent is not going to do her job, and hold up the line...

*After getting through the security screening, we all wondered if their was some sort of bump up in security measures post-election.  -Or maybe it was just because we were flying out of Bush.   :-\

Thankfully, after all that check-in and screening trauma and drama, the rest of my trip back home went rather smoothly.  My plane was boarding as soon as I got to the gate.  I ended up with a row all to myself.  I got a nice nap on the plane.  My bags were among the first ones to come around the carousel at baggage claim.  And best of all, when my sister-in-law came to pick me up at the airport, my niece and nephew were in tow.  And my nephew has been singing me the new songs he's been learning in kindergarten ever since we left the airport!  -He's actually next to me now drawing pictures of airplanes, airports and sharks(!?!?)... oh, and still singing!  It's good to be home!

-Of course, my two-year old niece is still afraid of me, but, hopefully, she'll start to grow out that.  Soon. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2004, 01:50:35 PM »

Oh... By the time our vans left the hotel, we were actually short one member of the cast.  We tried calling her room.  We knocked on her door.  We called again.  We knocked again.  Hmm...  *Unfortunately(?), the cast member in question almost missed a matinee since she slept through all her alarms.  It wasn't until some others got someone at the front desk to let them into her room, and there she was.... still asleep.  So...

God, I hope you made it!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2004, 01:50:44 PM »

WFO: I believe elmore is referring to the Liz Callway version I recorded for Unsung Musicals.  Have no idea if Andrea's was before or after, but ours was the first time the song had appeared on CD fully orchestrated.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2004, 01:51:04 PM »

Whew!  DRJOSE.....what an ordeal!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2004, 01:51:57 PM »

And it is a gem, MR BK!  Everyone who hears it wants a copy of the CD!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2004, 01:53:02 PM »

OH... And while waiting for my luggage, I received a call from the contractor for Hallelujah, Baby!  It seems that Mr. Laurents is requesting the orchestra be there for all the tech run-thrus - four extra rehearsals.  "Extra Christmas money!"  ;)  We shall see...  I guess this means they'll be doing some more work on the show after it closes(ed) up at George Street.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2004, 01:57:07 PM »

Hmmm...  I just checked the TSA website, and found this:

You are NOT REQUIRED to remove your shoes before you enter the walk-through metal detector.  However, TSA screeners may encourage you to remove them before entering the metal detector as many types of footwear will require additional screening even if the metal detector DOES NOT alarm.

Now, I'm pretty sure... well, I'm damn sure(!) the TSA agent told all of us that is was now mandatory to take our shoes off!  He even mentioned that it was now listed as part of the procedures on the website.  He was even sprouting codes numbers, etc.  SHEESH!!!

NOT!!  >:(

I suspect a letter may be forthcoming...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 01:59:13 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2004, 02:06:00 PM »

My teeth are lively and sparkling, with no new cavities (I've only had two cavities in the last forty years).  He does, however, have to refill two cavities from my childhood that have gone bad.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

I've never had a cavity.  All three of my younger brothers have had one or two, and a filling, but not me.  Even my current dentist could not believe that I've never had a cavity.  I guess eating all that ice cream when I was a kid was a good thing then.   :P
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2004, 02:12:31 PM »

Oh, I am back in the job market.  YIKES!!

DRJRand54, what happened?  Would that I could offer such an entertaining and erudite Allison Hayes fan work but I fear, much as I'd like to, I have naught to offer but sincere wishes that good things happen to you and soon.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2004, 02:13:11 PM »

Cavities were not as prevalent once we entered the seventies.  I don't know what happened, whether it was the water or just people taking better care, but when I was a kid, everyone had cavities, and lots of 'em.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2004, 02:16:37 PM »

Cavities were not as prevalent once we entered the seventies.  I don't know what happened, whether it was the water or just people taking better care, but when I was a kid, everyone had cavities, and lots of 'em.

I know part of it was the introduction of flouridated water and better toothpastes on the market.  In my case, our family dentist would always check me twice since I was the oldest of four boys.  All three of my younger brothers would have a cavity, but my teeth were always cavity-free.  Who knows?!?!?

-And with amount of sugar I know I've eaten...  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2004, 02:18:47 PM »

Good morning, all!  I definitely have a rotten cold, and I'm staying in today.  I want to shake it before the get-together on Wednesday.  No Typhoid Mary here, I hope!

Hey Typhoid Mary, DR elmoore3003!  I better see you this week in NYC!  That's an order!  -I don't want have to start using my "adult voice"...  Unless, of course, you're into that kind of thing.
 :o
 ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2004, 02:21:19 PM »

DR Elmore:  You mention that you worked on the first recording of Maury Yeston's "New Words".  What recording was that, pray tell?  The first time I heard in on a recording was Andrea Markovici's New Words album.  However, I am proud to say that the first time I actually heard the song it was sung by Maury himself in the Lehman Engel workshop, right after he wrote it.

Also, did you ever get to question André DeShields about his Peter Pan appearance?

DRWilliamFOrr, I believe I worked on the first recording of the song.  It was
sung by Miss Liz Callaway, for Mr Bruce Kimmel's recording "Unsing Musicals."
I'm very proud of my work on it and grateful to Bruce for hiring me!  Wasn't this the recording that featured the debut of Mr Guy Haines who graciously stepped in to replace an indisposed singer?  It's been such a privilege to see him grow as an artist.  I can't speak of Mr Haines' feelings about being called in on such notice, but I do remember how prepared he was, how pleasant the session was after the ordeal with the indisposed singer, and what a joy it was to be in on the emergence of a new talent.

I haven't seen Andre since the meeting.  He was off to Chicago for the TAN MANHATTAN rehearsals, but I hope to ask him about it at some point.  Thanks for reminding me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2004, 02:25:49 PM »

OH... And while waiting for my luggage, I received a call from the contractor for Hallelujah, Baby!  It seems that Mr. Laurents is requesting the orchestra be there for all the tech run-thrus - four extra rehearsals.  "Extra Christmas money!"  ;)  We shall see...  I guess this means they'll be doing some more work on the show after it closes(ed) up at George Street.

From what I've heard about the workshop in New York, I'd call that optimism!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2004, 02:26:10 PM »

Ciao, bambini! I'm back from Roma! What a swell time I had. Met people from all over the world. Saw some incredible places.
Got to speak lots of languages. (My new aim is to learn Itlian. I found I understood quite a bit - now I just have to learn to speak it.) Did a presentation which was well received, listened to lots of stuff. have been invited back (perhaps to Florence next time!)Last night I did not sleep at all -- all these images and ideas were keeping me awake. Right now i'm in Budapest. The shuttle got lost, so i had a nice tour of the city. Just had dinner. (Oh - it's 11:25 - that's a surprise!)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 02:27:43 PM by Panni »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2004, 02:31:26 PM »

Ciao, bambini! I'm back from Roma! What a swell time I had. Met people from all over the world. Saw some incredible places.

Buon giorno, cara Panni!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2004, 02:32:46 PM »

My new aim is to learn Itlian.

Do you know the great Ruth Draper monologue "The Italian Lesson"?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2004, 02:45:44 PM »

What to say of soup?  I'll avoid speaking of Soupy Sales.

I'll cheerfully admit New England clam chowder is better than Manhattan clam chowder.  However, if someone's looking for a soup without milk, then you have to go with Manhattan (it's in a sort of tomato-y broth).

In high school, when we were doing Carousel, I threw a huge cast party that lasted until dawn.  And what did we serve?  Why, New England clam chowder of course.  Many cans of Campbell's' many gallons of milk.  Just how many cups galloped down our gullets, we couldn't say oursel's.

I like bisques and fish soups, and always think of the hysterical Chris Durang/Sigourney Weaver waltz, The Bouilliabaisse Machine, whenever I'm eating Bouilliabaisse.  The quickest and cheapest warm food near work is hot and sour soup from some hole-in-the-wall on Eighth, corner of 49th.  I have that more often than anything.

Now that the weather's turned cold, it's impossible to find gazpacho, which is one of my favorites.  I've seen several recipes... Did you know shreaded bits of bread is a primary ingredient?

Sometimes I'll drop a bouillion cube in a cup and pour on boiling water and stir.  Oh, the gourmet that is me!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2004, 02:46:40 PM »

Do you know the great Ruth Draper monologue "The Italian Lesson"?

No, i don't. Right now I'm not sure of my name.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2004, 02:53:04 PM »

Perhaps some kind soul will send it to you on CD when you return from Hungary, Europe.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2004, 02:53:53 PM »

LOL DRPANNI.

Thanks DRELMORE - the good vibes are appreciated.

And speaking of monologues, or well....songs of the type....I will always treasure I Brought My Harp to the Party, but Nobody Asked Me to Play!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2004, 02:59:25 PM »

He touched me.
I simply have to face the fact : he touched me.
Control myself and try to act as if I remember my name.

But he touched me.
He touched me and suddenly nothing is the same.

And to think, the lyricist once dated my mother!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2004, 03:15:28 PM »

And then the TSA agent who was in charge of putting the items onto the moving belt into the x-ray machine did not want to touch the plastic bin with the collar and leash in it!  "I don't do dogs!"

Jose, your such a gentleman! Had I been with you,  the airport would be echoing with 'THAT'S ALL RIGHT, HONEY - NO SELF-RESPECTING DOG WOULD DO YOU!"

der ungentlemanly Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2004, 03:19:01 PM »

LOL

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2004, 03:22:46 PM »

Panni was the toast of Italy.  Since we haven't heard otherwise, I'll assume she was whole wheat.  

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2004, 03:31:26 PM »

Exept College Inn Chicken Broth, and Bookbinder's New England Clam Chowder.

Better yet:

der Brucer (with apologies to Panni's yard-mate)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up