Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PITHY POSTS  (Read 24260 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:PITHY POSTS
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2006, 02:57:34 PM »

Thank you for the brilliant lyrics François.. Has anyone ever recorded them?

And do you wonder why?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2006, 03:13:09 PM »

The lyrics are more complex syllabically than anything the Brothers Gibb could  create.  LOL.

Usually I admire the intricate Hal David lyrics - matching all those Bacharach notes!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 03:53:22 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2006, 03:18:32 PM »

Good Afternoon!  Good Evening!

It truly was a perfect afternoon for a run.  The sun was out, the temp was in the low 60's - no chill in the air, and since it had rained in the morning, the air was "not dry".

I ended up running from one bridge to the other - the 14th to the Key Bridge and back again.  I'm guessing it was just a bit over six miles.  I wanted to run for an hour, and I ended up running for about an hour and ten minutes.  -And when I was back at my starting point, I felt like I could have run a little bit more.

The route took me by the Lincoln Memorial, the Kennedy Center, the Georgetown Waterfront... And on the way back, I made a loop around the Reflecting Pool, the WWII Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial.

And now...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2006, 03:20:09 PM »

I just received the official revised rehearsal schedule for Lestat...  As the Pointers Sisters would say... I'm so excited!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2006, 03:24:11 PM »

Do the "Neutron Dance" DR Jose.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2006, 03:24:11 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Thanks for the reminder of "Follies in Concert".  I remember buying the double-LP set the day it came out at Tower Records...  And I played it, and played it and played it...  And then when PBS showed the documentary... And then when it came out on CD...  Truly one of my favorite recordings.

"James Taylor Live" - I think he has two live compilations now, I like both of them.

And there are a couple of classical music recordings that I have that were recorded in concert.  What's cool about some of them is that they're engineered so well that you don't realize they were recorded live until you hear the applause at the conclusion of the album.  Mikhail Pletnev's latest Tschaikovsky CD is like that... Oh, and Kathleen Battle's Carnegie Hall recital CD also got quite a bit of play in my CD player.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2006, 03:25:01 PM »

And now... Time for to head in for the show...  Just four more to go...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2006, 03:27:18 PM »

I'm off to the Pointer Sisters!  I think I have enough time to get a hair or two cut...maybe several.  See ya Laters, Alligators! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2006, 03:30:27 PM »

Good Afternoon!  Good Evening!

It truly was a perfect afternoon for a run.  The sun was out, the temp was in the low 60's - no chill in the air, and since it had rained in the morning, the air was "not dry".

I ended up running from one bridge to the other - the 14th to the Key Bridge and back again.  I'm guessing it was just a bit over six miles.  I wanted to run for an hour, and I ended up running for about an hour and ten minutes.  -And when I was back at my starting point, I felt like I could have run a little bit more.

The route took me by the Lincoln Memorial, the Kennedy Center, the Georgetown Waterfront... And on the way back, I made a loop around the Reflecting Pool, the WWII Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial.

And now...

Just don't add the Iwo Jim Memorial to that run...you might get sidetracked.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2006, 03:30:53 PM »

"Jump" George.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2006, 03:31:33 PM »

I just received the official revised rehearsal schedule for Lestat...  As the Pointers Sisters would say... I'm so excited!

;D

{Putting on my TCB hat for a moment]

Are you able to hide it?

And are you about to lose control because you like it?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 03:32:11 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »

Major synchronicity alert department:

Wow, I step away for a few minutes, and here is what I find:

Baby Elephant Walk lyric by Hal David.  I am currently doing a choral arrangement of this very song (with the excellent ??? David lyric) for a performance in June!!  To my knowledge, it never received a commercial recording.

Isaura Garcia.  You must be kind to Brasilian legends, even if they are a bit bizarre looking.  Isaura is one of the great divas of the samba and early bossa nova, and she was married for a long time to one of the most successful Brasilian imports to the States, fabulous organist Walter Wanderley ("Summer Samba").

Swingin' Safari.  It is indeed the theme to the Match Game, written by Bert Kampfaert.  Betsy and I were at High Holy Day services a few years ago and there was this guy sitting in front of us who was a dead ringer for Gene Rayburn.  So I proposed a little test to see if it was truly him.  I started whistling Swingin' Safari to see if he would turn around.  He didn't, but some other people did.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 03:33:16 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2006, 03:39:08 PM »

Indeed major syncronicity (a Police reference) DR JMK. We ALL look forward to the recording!!!!
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2006, 03:42:36 PM »

Indeed major syncronicity (a Police reference) DR JMK. We ALL look forward to the recording!!!!

All????

I don't! :o :o ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2006, 03:43:53 PM »

Sitting here feeling very logey.  They brought in Bob's Big Boy for lunch and I had two hamburgers instead of one.  They weren't the BIG Big Boy - just a single patty on a single bun, but it was too much too soon, like the film of the same name.

My editor is filling out the spot with coverage now - we got all the voice-overs and sound bites in, and now he's basically illustrating it.  During the transfer time and while he's working now, I've been polishing the first forty pages of the musical I'm writing with Mr. David Wechter, and am now moving on with new pages.

François de Paris

« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2006, 03:47:29 PM »

Usually I admire the intracies of the Hal David lyrics -
It's always tricky to spell intricacies! ;) :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »

It's always tricky to spell intricacies! ;) :D
And to proof read! But not to modify!
James Thurber 1957

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2006, 03:55:32 PM »

All????

I don't! :o :o ;D

Be careful or I may be forced to whistle Swingin' Safari in your general direction.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

François de Paris

« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2006, 04:12:43 PM »

Be careful or I may be forced to whistle Swingin' Safari in your general direction.  ;)

You'd have to whistle HARD!

I might know that ditty but, right off the bat, it does not mean a thing to me! (if it ain't got that swing!!)

Has Percy Faith ever recorded it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2006, 04:20:04 PM »

I'm logey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginny

« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2006, 04:21:39 PM »

Has Percy Faith ever recorded it?

More "Match Game" theme trivia:

"Curiously, the version used on the air was not the Kaempfert original, but the one recorded by American Billy Vaughn and his Orchestra which had reached #13 in 1962 on the American Top-40 charts"

It appears to be on several of his recordings.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2006, 04:24:23 PM »

I'm logey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All you need now is a "Lacall"!

Jennifer

« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2006, 04:25:24 PM »

DR Jennifer, I know you and some others who watch the show will be interested in this press release I read just now on the net:

" Filming has begun on the second season of TNT's top-rated crime drama, The Closer, starring Kyra Sedgwick. Season two premieres summer, 2006. "

Thanks for the info, although since I don't get TNT I'm not sure exactly when they will show it here. Hopefully this summer as well.

I agree it is really good, and I don't even normally like procedural dramas or cop shows.  But Kyra Sedgwick is a brilliant actress.  And I just love watching her on this show.

DR MattH mentioned the relationship between her squad and it is quite interesting to see how it develops (not saying if it gets better or worse) in season 1.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2006, 04:38:12 PM »

And now for something completely different!

Something lurid...and distasteful (I WARNED YOU!)...and odd..and unusual...and, if you're of an open mind and are slightly jaded, just a little bit funny:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4676610.stm

« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 04:39:11 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2006, 04:49:32 PM »

Odd because the black frock should have been for late afternoon or early evening wear?
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2006, 04:54:31 PM »

Where's page seven already?  We're still illustrating here in the edit bay.  I'm not sure we'll finish, but if we don't, we'll be able to first thing Monday morning.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2006, 05:03:03 PM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
still
catching
up
[/move]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 05:04:53 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2006, 05:47:36 PM »

Home again....ahhhh...and a weekend looms!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2006, 05:47:50 PM »

GO, STEELERS!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2006, 05:47:59 PM »

Go, SEAHAWKS!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up