Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MY DAY OFF  (Read 12707 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MY DAY OFF
« on: August 08, 2004, 12:00:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have read you, you and the notes are one, one and the notes are you and now it is time to be one with the posts or, at the very least, be two with the posts.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 12:00:01 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MY DAY OFF
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 12:02:06 AM »

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but in about 900 posts from now we will be hitting a brand spanking new major landmark, posting-wise - that would be 60,000 posts.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 02:02:59 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DER BRUCER!!![/move] [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DER BRUCER!!![/move] [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DER BRUCER!!![/move]

Panni

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 02:04:37 AM »

Only 898 posts to go!

Jennifer

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 05:47:46 AM »

Wow DR Ann I thought that they had found the car.  That is terrible.   But I am so happy that the people who got caught could see that it was not your sister.

I hope they find the car soon.  Your sis must be very upset.   More good vibes to her ~~~~~~~~~~.

Jennifer

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 05:52:39 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Der Brucer!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 05:59:05 AM »

Re: the Anthony Hopkins/Nicole Kidman movie THE HUMAN STAIN.

Well it wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't great.  It was sort of interesting though, and did keep my attention throughout (which is obviously a good thing).

Speaking of nudity, there was a fair amount of naked Nicole Kidman.

As I watched it, I couldn't help remembering DR Panni's "miscast" comments from last night.

It was weird, but Nicole was playing this slightly unattractive woman, who was lower class and wore little make-up.  She smoked a lot and was rather unappealing.

Put that with Anthony Hopkins, who looked to be 80 and they were a slightly odd couple.

And they had zero chemistry.  So getting to watch them have sex all the time, was not really that appealing (although obviously Nicole Kidman is beautiful, even when playing ugly).

There was one element that was very fascinating.  And a few things at the end that were interesting.  But I was unhappy with one development, that left me feeling very unsatisfied.

I barely remember hearing anything about this when it came out in the theatres.  But I can sort of understand why the video clerk was saying that "it was good, and interesting, just not great".
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 06:02:17 AM by Jennifer »

Michael

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 06:45:54 AM »

Just a quick hello from Kinko's as I print out my boarding pass. Saw Sly Fox and The Boy From Oz.

Also met up with DR Larry, Ben and Janet. Wonderful time. Pictures. More tommorrow.
Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 07:43:15 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DER BRUCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 07:57:12 AM »

Happy Birthday, der Brucer!

I have been meaning to comment on DEAD RINGERS ever since BK first mentioned it days and days ago. I, too, have always thought it was a weak melodrama, badly acted and totally forgettable even with Bette Davis playing twins. However, I do think the split screen work featuring the two Davises was pretty wonderful.

In MOTHER GODDAM, Bette Davis wrote about loving Paul Henreid as a director, but I suspect that had more to do with Davis being able to order him around without fear of impunity and less about his skill as a director. I remember he also appeared on THIS IS YOUR LIFE when Davis was honored, and they seemed to be dear friends.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 08:00:01 AM »

I'll be gone for a large portion of the day today, just in case someone asks where in tarnation people are. I'm having a Chinese lunch following my computer shopping with a friend, and then an afternoon at the pool enjoying this almost spring-like downturn in our temperatures. Sadly, the cool nights and non-humid days will be a thing of the past by Tuesday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 08:11:22 AM »

I know it's a Sunday morning, but where in tarnation is everybody?

Does the tar baby in Disney's "Song of the South" come from tarnation?

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 08:18:31 AM »

I'm off to the Triad, to rehearse and tech from 12-6 (at least I hope we stop at 6); then the show starts at 7.  I play 26 numbers and we have to clear out because there's a show coming in at 9

My question is: does Jose get worked like this, from 12-8:30 with just a dinner break at 6?  Just wondering.  I wouldn't blame anybody if he did.

Happy birthday, der Brucer.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 08:23:21 AM »

Thank you all for your well-wishes.

I'm sure after you read the culinary post I have prepared for today, you will most likely retract same.

der aging Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 08:23:26 AM »

Happy birthday Der Brucer!

Car vibes to Ann and her sister! ~~~~~~~~~~

Happy day off to BK and Jose!

My brother played that drum for two hours straight last night. I thought about impaling it with my foil, but I know I would need that foil once he caught up with me.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

DERBRUCER

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2004, 08:42:29 AM »

Reflections on a Yesterday:

Posted by Jose "I've never met a diet I could keep" S.

BK took me over to Amoeba for my first Amoeba experience.

Comment:
Is that where you sexually satisfy yourself and then develop multiple personalities?

It really always amazes me that so many people still pay list price for CDs and DVDs at certain stores, when places like Best Buy, Circuit City, Amazon.com, etc.  - even Tower - are out there.

Comment: Out here the best buys on newly released DVD's is WalMart - even cheaper than Sam's Club

-I'm also just a few blocks from Griffith Park, and I have yet to check it out, so..

Comment:

Be careful! Griffith Park has Sondheimesque qualities: "A Little Might Music", a little "Into The Woods", and often "Follies" followed by "Passion" or, sad to say, an occasional  "Sweeny Todd" .

Lions, and Tigers, and bears and often quite a lot of Oh My!

der Brucer (who has never practiced what he preaches)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2004, 08:47:41 AM »

Well, it seems my calling the jackass from San Franciso who posted his beheading on the net a "jerk" caught on.

Last night Geraldo called him a "jerk-off" on national TV!

der Brucer (always glad to set new standards of decency)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2004, 09:05:44 AM »

An now for the Pièce de Résistance:

WARNING: DRs of gentle sensibilities should Resist reading on.

WARNING: graphic descriptions of arguably unappetizing cuisine follow.

WARNING: Food Posting Ambush Ahead

The other day, Panni became upset when I mentioned horse fat as a frying medium for "fries". Well, I got the idea from reading " The Man Who Ate Everything" by
Jeffrey Steingarten. Seems he picked up the trick from the home of Panni's beloved Wiener Schnitzel, Austria.

To put a more local face on the issue let me quote form an Oregon Publication called "The Backwoods Home Magazine"" :

With a delicate flavor similar to beef, though many describe its taste as slightly sweeter than other meats, horse meat can be used to replace beef, pork, mutton, and any other meat in virtually any recipe, though most aficionados prefer it in marinated or spicy dishes. Nutritionally, horse meat has around 40 percent fewer calories than the leanest beef, while supplying 50 percent more protein and as much as 30 percent more iron; and horse fat is considered an excellent health-conscious deep-frying alternative, especially for delicately-flavored foods that are easily overpowered by heavier oils.

To diners in Canada, Germany, Mexico, Belgium, Italy, so on around the world, horse meat is not a rare and expensive delicacy nibbled at by only a few societal oddballs with bizarre tastes, as has often been claimed by its detractors. It’s practically everyday fare for significant portions of the population. As much as a third of the French eat horse meat regularly, according to some industry estimates, even though a suspicious trichinosis scare in the 1970s curtailed consumption nationally. Sure, not everyone who eats food in those countries has tasted horse meat, but enough do eat it, and eat it often enough, to keep the production of horse meat in commercial quantities firmly established in agriculture’s “big business” category. In fact, so many Japanese restaurants offer horse meat, sliced thin and either grilled lightly or served completely raw, that a large sub-segment of that nation’s dining industry depends on its continued importation.

So we’ll eat Bambi, but we won’t eat Trigger?
The point here is that: even though the overwhelming attitude in the United States is that Misty of Chincoteague or Black Beauty should not be used as food on its “cringe factor” alone, millions of other people in other places have absolutely no moral problems with horse meat. In fact, the various cultures worldwide that oppose the eating of beef and pork far outnumber those with objections to human consumption of horse meat.

And that’s a shame in a world as hungry as this one.

So far, the only state that has absolutely outlawed the use of horse meat on the family table is (surprise!) California, though Californians have no problem feeding it to their high-dollar dogs and cats. But even in the handful of states where horse meat is regulated, including California, giving and receiving horse meat as a gift is perfectly legal, and bartering for it will probably always remain a legal gray area.

But remember: it’s a good idea, if you’re thinking of barbecuing up a horse quarter, or even a Quarter Horse, to make sure everyone knows exactly what kind of meat you’ve got roasting on the cooker well before the blessing is said. Even the best of friends can come to blows where food ambushes are concerned.

der Brucer (admittedly haven't tried it, don't want to)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2004, 09:08:50 AM »

Sunday Sweet Sunday.

Happy Birthday, DRderBrucer!  

DEAD RINGER -  I bought this Previn score on LP for 49 cents many years before I saw the movie.  When I finally did (on TV) I could almost predict what was going to happen because I knew what music was coming next.  And the movie was NEVER as exciting as the music.

As MATTH says, the double photography is good.  Jean Hagen has a thankless part and Peter Lawford is greasy....  It is a bit disconcerting to watch him paw and kiss a MUCH OLDER Bette.

I am watching THE RESTLESS YEARS with Sandra Dee and John Saxon and Virginia Grey....strange movie....

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2004, 09:30:16 AM »

They sell horsemeat in most supermarkets here.

I've never eaten it though...

Question for all Kosher-Keeping DRs: is horse kosher?
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Panni

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2004, 09:54:56 AM »

I think many DRs are taking "My Day Off" to mean them.
Mit udder words, "Where in tarnation is everyone?"  ???

I skipped my walk this morning to write right away. My body is confused.  :P

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2004, 09:58:37 AM »

Hello, all!  I had a lovely time with DRs Ben, td, and Michael, and I had to hurry back to my apartment to take my medication.  I watched a bit of tv, and I was in bed by 9:30.  This morning, trying to maneuver myself in the bathtub, I managed to jerk that blasted back muscle again, so I'm back to Square One!  My day will be spent primarily in bed watching tv and reading:  I just got the new Jerome Robbins bio and I'm enjoying it.  Tomorrow I see the surgeon about this abscess, and I hope the diagnosis is to my advantage!  Please keep the god vibes coming.

Happy Birthday, der Brucer.  I hope your day is filled with good company and good times.

Dear Friend BK, vibes and xylophones to you always!  I wish I could be there for your revue.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2004, 10:15:14 AM »

Mit udder words, "Where in tarnation is everyone?"  ???

Haven't you had enough, already? ::)

Here some special news for lovers of Haute Cinema:

As extracted from the LA Times "On DVD":

Chills and shudders on tap

Some classic examples of the horror genre make their DVD debut. Aug 8 2004

Warner Home Video Horror Collection
$20 each

Some classic examples of the horror genre — "Freaks," "The Bad Seed," "Dead Ringer," "Village of the Damned" and "Children of the Damned" — make their DVD debut.

'Freaks'
MGM lured Browning back to the studio but was shocked by his 1932 effort, "Freaks," which lighted a firestorm of controversy, was severely edited and even removed from distribution. Over the years "Freaks" has grown in reputation and now is considered one of the most remarkable films of the 1930s.
"Freaks" freaked out audiences and critics because Browning cast performers with real physical deformities, including "living torso" Prince Radian, conjoined twins Daisy and Violet Hilton and "pinheads" Elvira and Jenny Lee Snow.

Extras: Three alternate endings, a special prologue message that was shown during the theatrical release, a fascinating documentary ("Freaks: Sideshow Cinema") and informative commentary from film historian and writer David J. Skal.

'The Bad Seed'
Extras: The "making of" documentary, "Enfant Terrible: A Conversation With Patty McCormack" and breezy commentary with actor-playwright Charles Busch ("Die Mommie Die!," "Psycho Beach Party") and McCormack.

'Dead Ringer'

A terrific campy wallow from 1964 starring Bette Davis as twins. And double the Davis means double the fun. The poor twin hates her wealthy sister because she stole the man she loved. Twenty years later, holding a grudge as heavy as an anvil, destitute Edie kills off her sister Margaret and takes on her identity.
Extras: A vintage featurette, a fun new documentary, "Double Take: Bette vs. Bette," and delicious commentary from author Boze Hadleigh and, as with "Bad Seed," Charles Busch.

The Extras should be worth the price of admission:
 - Charles Busch commenting on Bette Davis - will he be costumed for the event?

- Alternate endings for "Freaks" - boggles one's mind. Does Sir Lancelot re-appear and heal them all? Do they go through the Stargate? Do they run for public office?

der "waiting with bated breath" Brucer

::contemplates possible "alternate endings for "Tiger Cruise" - Bermuda Triangle comes to mind, a giant Ice Berg?, Krakatoa let's loose again?, the kids mutiny and we get an update of "Lord of the Flies"? - so many possibilities (A Sunday In the Park reference)::

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2004, 10:16:19 AM »

Geez, where have I been that I have not tried horse meat?

I was going to say that I had never seen it in Montreal.  But after DR Emily mentioned seeing it at grocery stores, I think I may have as well.

Although I don't know anybody who eats it.

That article is a bit misleading, since it's not like restaurants here serve it.

Although I suppose if grocery stores have it, then somebody must be buying it.  

I wonder if it tastes like regular beef.  I mean it's funny how we all feel ill when someone mentions eating a horse.  Yet most of us eat cows.

Anyhow DR Emily, I think that you should try it for us and let us know how it is. :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2004, 10:19:15 AM »

My day will be spent primarily in bed watching tv and reading:  I just got the new Jerome Robbins bio and I'm enjoying it.

Happy Birthday, der Brucer.  I hope your day is filled with good company and good times.

Thank you - I envy you your day in bed with Jerome Robbins ::)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2004, 10:22:24 AM »

I mean it's funny how we all feel ill when someone mentions eating a horse.  Yet most of us eat cows.

And rarely does anybody say "I'm so hungry I could eat a cow".

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2004, 10:25:01 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was a Sunday or something.

Re Dead Ringers idiotic press release - double the Bette only occurs for the first fifteen minutes.  There is a LONG LONG 100 minutes that follows.  The film is NEVER campy, that is the problem.  And it was totally mis-sold as a Baby Jane thing, which is why it flopped miserably.  

I woke up at seven so nauseous it was blecchy.  I don't succumb to nausea if I can help it, so I just stayed in bed, zoned out, and fell back asleep.  I just got up twenty minutes ago and feel a bit better now.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2004, 10:36:50 AM »

I've just noticed another landmark of sorts - we've just had our two hundredth officially registered user on the site - welcome canterburytales.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2004, 10:37:22 AM »

DerBrucer have a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  And thank you for the stories-the ship ones, not the horse meat. :)  I won't even buy the stuff for my dogs which is the only way I have seen it sold.

Panni

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2004, 10:43:09 AM »

Better Back vibes, DR Elmore!
Last night in her show Bea Arthur had some choice words (none of them good) about Jerome Robbins. She told a hilarious story about the dancer Swen Swenson and how he trained one of his small Yorkie dogs to do the following trick... Whenever Swen would throw a party, he would always leave the door of his apartment slightly ajar for unexpected or late guests. At some point in every party, he would go to the door, look into the hallway and say, "Oh no! It's Jerry Robbins!" ...At which pioint the little dog would throw himself against the door with all his might and slam it shut.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up