Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: DROP THAT NAME  (Read 12190 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: DROP THAT NAME
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »

I'm not sure if somebody has already posted this, but just in case:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117943960.html?categoryId=31&cs=1

Congrats Edisaurus!

DR Druxy - Is there any possible way you could cut and paste part of the review for those of us who are not registered users of Variety.com?

Jews and Baseball: An American Love Story
 (Docu)
By JOHN ANDERSON
Related Reviews:
Yeardley
Eichmann
Saw 3D
Due Date
Winston Churchill: Walking With Destiny
Neon Flesh
Go Fandango!    

Read other reviews about this film
Powered By MRQE Review
A 7th Releasing release of a Clear Lake Historical Prods. presentation. Produced by Will Hechter, Peter Miller. Executive producer, Hechter. Co-executive producers, Linda Selig, Lynda Walker. Directed by Peter Miller. Written by Ira Berkow.

With: Al Rosen, Sandy Koufax, Larry King, Maury Allen, Michael Paley, Peter Levine, Roger Kahn. Narrator: Dustin Hoffman.

Confronted with nine Jews, most people would probably guess "Supreme Court" rather than "ball club," but that's precisely the kind of bias that "Jews and Baseball: An American Love Story" successfully sends to the showers. Charting the presence of prominent Jewish major leaguers in every decade, their relationship to the world of big-time ball and the careers of such greats as Hank Greenberg and Sandy Koufax, helmer Peter Miller's historical docu strikes out a stadium-load of assumptions and, after a modest theatrical season, should enjoy a hearty afterlife in the educational and DVD divisions.

Although he covers much of the same ground (unavoidably) as does Aviva Kempner's 1998 "The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg," and includes info covered in TV docus about some of this film's other most famous subjects, Miller takes a much broader view of the relationship of Jews to the major leagues, stressing how important an embrace of baseball was to an embrace of America: Immigrant Jews at the turn of the 19th century knew it was through baseball that one became American. Eventually, baseball realized how important Jews could be to the sport: As Miller tells us, it wasn't benevolence but business that led the New York Giants' John McGraw to sign Andy Cohen, the first real Jewish star, a player who got Jews flocking to the Polo Grounds (and buying ballpark food like "ice cream Cohens").

It was Greenberg, though, who was the pivotal figure in Jewish baseball, and possibly "the most important American Jew" in history, according to one of Miller's commentators, Rabbi Michael Paley. This was not just because of his playing (Greenberg hit 58 home runs in 1938, was a five-time All-Star and two-time American League MVP). When the 6-foot-4-inch first-baseman refused to play on Yom Kippur -- just as the Detroit Tigers were closing in on the 1934 pennant -- it was "transformational," Paley says; baseball was important, but not that important.

With terrific narration by Dustin Hoffman, "Jews and Baseball" makes effective use of archival footage and interviews, the most spectacular of which is a lengthy sequence featuring the usually reclusive Koufax, who reminisces about his career and its relationship to his religion. It's debatable who is the most important Jew in the history of the major leagues; Koufax was a three-time Cy Young Award winner and the first pitcher to throw four no-hitters. He, too, declined to pitch on Yom Kippur, but in Koufax's case, the game in question was the first of the 1965 World Series.

Greenberg may have had a tougher time of it -- his era, the '30s, was a period of fierce bigotry and anti-Semitism, the weekly broadcasts of the scurrilous Father Coughlin and conflicted American opinion over the situation in Europe. But almost every player featured in "Jews and Baseball" had his difficulties (even Elliott Maddox, who was African-American and converted). Most also have good, if oft-told, stories: Moe Berg, who caught for several American League teams and became a lawyer in the off-season, supposedly spoke seven languages ("and couldn't hit in any of them," as the saying went) and became a spy for the OSS during World War II. Al Rosen was hard-slugging star for the Indians who retired rather than be traded (by Hank Greenberg, ironically, who had become Cleveland's general manager). Marv Rotblatt may have been the shortest pitcher (at just 5-foot-6) in Major League history.

Production values are very good, with clever music cues ("Short People" for Rotblatt), and a warm, intelligent text by the first-rate sportswriter Ira Berkow.

Camera (color/B&W), Antonio Rossi, Stephen McCarthy, Allen Moore; editor, Amy Linton; music, Michael Roth; sound, Miller; associate producers, Caroline Berler, Linton, Anne-Marie Smith. Reviewed on DVD, New York, Oct. 27, 2010. (In Jerusalem, San Francisco Jewish film festivals.) Running time: 90 MIN.

Read more: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117943960.html?categoryId=31&cs=1#ixzz14ArOL8M2
Visit Variety.com to become a Variety subscriber.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls." --  Dan Quayle

LOL< well he's right

;D

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »

Don't know why I can read  Variety without registering, but I can...at least this much

Jews and Baseball: An American Love Story
 (Docu)
By JOHN ANDERSON
Related Reviews:
Yeardley
Eichmann
Saw 3D
Due Date
Winston Churchill: Walking With Destiny
Neon Flesh

Read other reviews about this film

Powered By 

A 7th Releasing release of a Clear Lake Historical Prods. presentation. Produced by Will Hechter, Peter Miller. Executive producer, Hechter. Co-executive producers, Linda Selig, Lynda Walker. Directed by Peter Miller. Written by Ira Berkow.

With: Al Rosen, Sandy Koufax, Larry King, Maury Allen, Michael Paley, Peter Levine, Roger Kahn. Narrator: Dustin Hoffman.

Confronted with nine Jews, most people would probably guess "Supreme Court" rather than "ball club," but that's precisely the kind of bias that "Jews and Baseball: An American Love Story" successfully sends to the showers. Charting the presence of prominent Jewish major leaguers in every decade, their relationship to the world of big-time ball and the careers of such greats as Hank Greenberg and Sandy Koufax, helmer Peter Miller's historical docu strikes out a stadium-load of assumptions and, after a modest theatrical season, should enjoy a hearty afterlife in the educational and DVD divisions.
Although he covers much of the same ground (unavoidably) as does Aviva Kempner's 1998 "The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg," and includes info covered in TV docus about some of this film's other most famous subjects, Miller takes a much broader view of the relationship of Jews to the major leagues, stressing how important an embrace of baseball was to an embrace of America: Immigrant Jews at the turn of the 19th century knew it was through baseball that one became American. Eventually, baseball realized how important Jews could be to the sport: As Miller tells us, it wasn't benevolence but business that led the New York Giants' John McGraw to sign Andy Cohen, the first real Jewish star, a player who got Jews flocking to the Polo Grounds (and buying ballpark food like "ice cream Cohens").

It was Greenberg, though, who was the pivotal figure in Jewish baseball, and possibly "the most important American Jew" in history, according to one of Miller's commentators, Rabbi Michael Paley. This was not just because of his playing (Greenberg hit 58 home runs in 1938, was a five-time All-Star and two-time American League MVP). When the 6-foot-4-inch first-baseman refused to play on Yom Kippur -- just as the Detroit Tigers were closing in on the 1934 pennant -- it was "transformational," Paley says; baseball was important, but not that important.

With terrific narration by Dustin Hoffman, "Jews and Baseball" makes effective use of archival footage and interviews, the most spectacular of which is a lengthy sequence featuring the usually reclusive Koufax, who reminisces about his career and its relationship to his religion. It's debatable who is the most important Jew in the history of the major leagues; Koufax was a three-time Cy Young Award winner and the first pitcher to throw four no-hitters. He, too, declined to pitch on Yom Kippur, but in Koufax's case, the game in question was the first of the 1965 World Series.

Greenberg may have had a tougher time of it -- his era, the '30s, was a period of fierce bigotry and anti-Semitism, the weekly broadcasts of the scurrilous Father Coughlin and conflicted American opinion over the situation in Europe. But almost every player featured in "Jews and Baseball" had his difficulties (even Elliott Maddox, who was African-American and converted). Most also have good, if oft-told, stories: Moe Berg, who caught for several American League teams and became a lawyer in the off-season, supposedly spoke seven languages ("and couldn't hit in any of them," as the saying went) and became a spy for the OSS during World War II. Al Rosen was hard-slugging star for the Indians who retired rather than be traded (by Hank Greenberg, ironically, who had become Cleveland's general manager). Marv Rotblatt may have been the shortest pitcher (at just 5-foot-6) in Major League history.

Production values are very good, with clever music cues ("Short People" for Rotblatt), and a warm, intelligent text by the first-rate sportswriter Ira Berkow.

Camera (color/B&W), Antonio Rossi, Stephen McCarthy, Allen Moore; editor, Amy Linton; music, Michael Roth; sound, Miller; associate producers, Caroline Berler, Linton, Anne-Marie Smith. Reviewed on DVD, New York, Oct. 27, 2010. (In Jerusalem, San Francisco Jewish film festivals.) Running time: 90 MIN.

Read more: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117943960.html?categoryId=31&cs=1#ixzz14AkfNX4g
Visit Variety.com to become a Variety subscriber.

You beat me to the punch!
You can dream…or you can do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2010, 05:33:26 PM »

HEALTH VIBES FOR ALL OF OUR

FOUR-LEGGED CHILDREN!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Laura

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2010, 05:33:46 PM »

Cilla, I remember when you introduced Boo to Callie that the cat sitter said they were okay together. They just hissed at each other when you were around. (Am I remembering that correctly?)
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »

I wish I could be in NYC to see Jews and Baseball!

Me too!!!!!  This is a subject I'm very interested in.

I was able to read most of the interview without registering.  CONGRATS TO DR EDI AND TEAM!!!

Jane

« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2010, 05:41:30 PM »

I just took Joshie to the vet for an eye infection. He yowled from 3:30 to 5 p.m. nonstop.

Oh, poor Joshie!!  EYE HEALING VIBES FOR HIM!!!

Laura

« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »

I am trying to give him some Fancy Feast, but I cannot get near him.

Ginny

« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »

Great review, DR Edi - add me to the list of people who wish they could be in NYC for this!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2010, 05:53:27 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2010, 06:00:20 PM »

I am taking Friday off from work and coming in to see Jews & Baseball!  What timeshould I be there tomake sure I see the 6:30 show and am present for the Q & A?

Please count me in for the after dinner celebration
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »

VIBES for poor Joshie

vixmom

« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »

I voted this miorning -  I wnt our old voting booths back I do not like the paper ballots

Jane

« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2010, 06:08:38 PM »

I am taking Friday off from work and coming in to see Jews & Baseball!  What timeshould I be there tomake sure I see the 6:30 show and am present for the Q & A?

You should enjoy your much needed day off!!!

vixmom

« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2010, 06:10:07 PM »

TOD

Play to movie

King & I

West Side Story

Cabaret

Sound of Music

Original

Singing in the Rain

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

movies that became stage musicals

La Cage Aux Folles

The Last Starfighter

Beauty & The Beast

vixmom

« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »

You should enjoy your much needed day off!!!

I am very excited!

vixmom

« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2010, 06:11:15 PM »

elmore I hope that your leg feels better and you cam come and play!  Should I pick you up in my automobile?

vixmom

« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2010, 06:14:28 PM »

Wells polls have just closed in NY -  it will be soon time for my annual tradition of watching the returns and loudly complaining about the lack of intelligence of my neighboring voters

Laura

« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2010, 06:18:27 PM »

Sounds like a great tradition, Vixmom!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2010, 06:19:33 PM »

WOW!

They ran out of ballots in Bridgeport, CT! -And they're still waiting on official word if they can keep the polls open longer.  -Like there should be any question about that - ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »

Cilla, I remember when you introduced Boo to Callie that the cat sitter said they were okay together. They just hissed at each other when you were around. (Am I remembering that correctly?)

Naw, I wish.  They were trying to kill each other when I first introduced them.  Neither would back down. It was ugly.  It took 6 weeks.  This is nothing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »

Oh... Just checked... The polls in Bridgeport will now be open until 10:00pm.

*Apparently, the Connecticut election officials only ordered 21,000 ballots despite having over 63,000(!!!) registered voters.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2010, 06:23:03 PM »

I am trying to give him some Fancy Feast, but I cannot get near him.

Did the vet give him drops or something to help him?

Jane

« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »

WOW!

They ran out of ballots in Bridgeport, CT! -And they're still waiting on official word if they can keep the polls open longer.  -Like there should be any question about that - ???

:o

Laura

« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »

Some ointment I am supposed to put on four times a day. Ha!

I remember it was tough with the girls, but I thought they accepted each other after some time and just kept up in front of you.

Cillaliz

« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »

That's possible, I don't remember.  I just remember it was a long process.  Boo is jealous right now and she storms off now and then or chases Ricky away from whatever he is doing, but they are doing great.

vixmom

« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »

This is very sad

QUOTE:

Shannon Tavarez was a Broadway star at 11, playing the Young Nala in the musical "The Lion King," but her greatest legacy may be the 10,000 people she inspired to become potential bone marrow donors.

Tavarez, a Queens native, was forced to quit the show in April after being diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. Her doctors were unable to find a bone marrow transplant match for the young actress, who was black and Hispanic. Only about 3 percent of registered bone marrow donors are multiple race, according to the nonprofit National Bone Marrow Program.

Tavarez died Monday at the Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York in New Hyde Park.

"What a loss. There are no words to describe it," said her oncologist at Cohen Children's, Dr. Lawrence Wolfe. "All children are precious, but she was a performer and she performed all the time, and gave much more than she ever took."

Shannon's search for a donor touched fellow cast members, who held bone marrow donor registration drives for her in Manhattan. Another was held in Port Jefferson for her and another leukemia sufferer. Singers Alicia Keys and Rihanna joined in the donor search, praising the young actress for her courage.

Randy Donaldson, a producer and former cast member in "The Lion King" touring company, was among about 400 people who last July got their cheeks swabbed at St. Malachy's The Actors' Chapel in Manhattan to see if they were possible donors.

Cillaliz

« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2010, 06:35:09 PM »

Polls are open until 9:00 PM here, so no results until after DWS....results there were a surprise

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »

And it's still the final two....don't know who has been voted off the island

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »

Hello, everyone.

George, I'm got your packge arrived on time. I hope nothing got mangled and that you enjoy them. Do you have either of them already?

I got the package and everything was perfect.  Thanks!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up