Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TECH THAT WASN'T REALLY A TECH  (Read 2530 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE TECH THAT WASN'T REALLY A TECH
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »

Six!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »

Liz Smith has died at the age of 94.

That's sad news.  She was always friendly. 

I read her faithfully for quite a while, but her opinions on the theater often left me angry. She was definitely not a Hal Prince-Sondheim fan.

Funny you mention that.  She would publish comments from reader letters every now and then, and she'd mentioned a letter I wrote her about her column on "Merrily We Roll Along."  My friend Peter called me when it appeared, and said "what the f#@! are you doing in Liz Smith's column?"  (She actually sent me a copy of the clipping from the paper, which arrived in the mail a few days later.)

A remnant of that mention from 1982 actually still shows up on the google squib if you google
"reader fred landau" "liz smith"

It did, but it was an Elyria, Ohio, paper that wanted $8 to read it.

I had the same results
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »

I made it through the end of my movie. Yawn.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2017, 08:43:05 PM »

Good night, all.
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2017, 08:58:45 PM »

https://www.thepandoricarestaurant.com   I found it!  It's in Beacon Ny

vixmom

« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2017, 08:59:40 PM »

DR Sandra and I just returned from a whirlwind trip to Disneyland.

How wonderful!!

vixmom

« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2017, 09:00:39 PM »

I had an encouraging call from Carol of The Animal Project.  She thinks I'm being impatient and should relax a bit.  I'd agree with that. She also made the very smart observation that if I didn't want him back under the shelves to block the openings with towels and things.  She liked the pet carrier socializing today, eve if it did not end with their being bosom buddies.

She suggested they bring me a large cage used for fostering animals where Thatch could be safe to observe the comings and goings of the apartment and Annabelle could not reach him.  I think this may all work out after all.  She thinks everything will be fine, and I feel much much better at the moment.

Excellent!!

vixmom

« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2017, 09:03:21 PM »

Well the alarm goes off in 6 1/2 hours do. Goodnight

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »

Good night, Vixmom.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »

I'm home, and have been for a couple of hours.  I have a load of laundry in the dryer, I'm watching some TV, and have ketchupped all over today's posts.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2017, 09:42:25 PM »

DR Amy, thanks for your thoughts.  I had read everything on bringing in a new cat and with all good intentions managed to botch everything.  I feel so sorry for that poor kitten because everything awful happening to him lies at my feet.  The notion of using the pet carrier had never occurred to me until my friend's suggestion last night.

If I can resolve this so that Thatch can happily live with us, I will be in heaven.

~~~All Kinds of Vibes for Elmore, Annabelle and Thatch!!~~~

George

« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2017, 09:43:15 PM »

Vixmom, that is a great picture, and if you don't mind -- not that you really have a choice in the matter :) -- I really must share it with housemate Nathan who is quite the DR. WHO aficionado.

Which reminds me:  are you aware of a DR. WHO-themed restaurant up here, I think it's in or near Newburgh, NY?

I have a couple of co-workers who are also Doctor Who fans.  I'll have to show it to them, too!

George

« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »

One thing I "need" to do, maybe today or tomorrow, is get my arse to a Barnes and Noble and scarf up some Criterion product.  This is an historical first, me not getting there within a day or two of the start of the sale.  Fortunately, when this kind of thing runs all month, one has a little leeway.  And I do need me my leeway.

The Olympia B&N doesn't sell DVDs or Blu-rays. :P They do sell vinyl albums, though. 

George

« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »

And today, I bought one of their vinyl albums.  I got a 15% discount e-mailed coupon from B&N and bought their exclusive vinyl edition of the new Broadway cast recording to SpongeBob SquarePants: The New Musical [With Poster] [B&N Exclusive].

George

« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »

George

« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2017, 09:53:16 PM »

Hey, kids!  It's time for ..... Photographic Evidence.

During a break I was about to ask DR Elmore and his adopted son to look up and smile for a quick one, but I felt these would look nice and natural (always my preference), so here they are:

Great pictures, ChasSmith!

George

« Reply #166 on: November 12, 2017, 09:54:20 PM »

Lovely photos DR CHAS SMITH!

DR WHO NORTH AMERICA the store is one mile from my house....

I'm jealous! 

George

« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2017, 09:55:51 PM »

And I'll have to ask my co-workers if they know about this!

George

« Reply #168 on: November 12, 2017, 09:57:58 PM »

I forgot to mention earlier but the cat chronicles are now running my life.  I am really enjoying the LEVI news.  This morning, I was thinking how much fun and what seemed endless work to get THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X open 11 years (really??) ago.

I really look forward to eventually finding the opportunity to do BRAIN, whether it be a production up here that I could even MD, or one to play in somewhere.

I hope you do, ChasSmith!  I was in a production eight or nine years ago and had a blast!

George

« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »

Two of the helpers are packing up the house - and inadvertently packed the Indiegogo stuff, which I'd separated out - there are five boxes of stuff from that room and I'm sure that will be in one of them.

:o I hope it's all found quickly!

George

« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »

And I am back on the Big Mac!  AppleCare, I love you.

Whew!

George

« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2017, 10:03:03 PM »

Liz Smith has died at the age of 94.

Oh, no.  But 94...that's definitely a life lived.

George

« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2017, 10:03:37 PM »

I had an encouraging call from Carol of The Animal Project.  She thinks I'm being impatient and should relax a bit.  I'd agree with that. She also made the very smart observation that if I didn't want him back under the shelves to block the openings with towels and things.  She liked the pet carrier socializing today, eve if it did not end with their being bosom buddies.

She suggested they bring me a large cage used for fostering animals where Thatch could be safe to observe the comings and goings of the apartment and Annabelle could not reach him.  I think this may all work out after all.  She thinks everything will be fine, and I feel much much better at the moment.

That's great, Larry!

George

« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »

What a day.  The helpers and the helper's helpers got everything moved save for the bed, end tables, and dresser in my room.  Hard as it is to believe, there are still MORE CDs in one of those end table things.  Unbelievable.  It took three trips in all but I am sitting here like so much fish in a basically empty house - dining table, dining room thing that I still have to empty - we'll call Goodwill to come and get those because we've had no takers.  Grant was at the new house at one, and we placed all the sofas and tables - the TV/audio guy worked through the afternoon and got all that stuff set up except for the rear speakers, which he'll do as soon as he finds two little stands for them, as I don't want them mounted on the wall.  The garage is a disaster at the new house.  I'd asked for them to leave a space for the washer and dryer so she of the Evil Eye could get in there and use them, but alas they did not - it's literally wall to wall boxes and the shelving units, which have to be attached to the walls - then we can at least unbox about twenty boxes and free up that room.  Also, the big CD shelves couldn't go over - they were cheaply made long ago and were literally falling apart.  I'm still unpacking books for the book room but am almost finished with that.

Ahh...the joys and hassles of moving.  Glad I don't plan on doing it ever again!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #174 on: November 12, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »

Good evening.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #175 on: November 12, 2017, 10:20:10 PM »

Hi, Tom.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #176 on: November 12, 2017, 10:22:44 PM »

DR elmore  am pleased with the response you received.  It was what I was hoping for.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:24:50 PM by Jane »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #177 on: November 12, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »

Two of the helpers are packing up the house - and inadvertently packed the Indiegogo stuff, which I'd separated out - there are five boxes of stuff from that room and I'm sure that will be in one of them.

:o I hope it's all found quickly!

I will 2nd that.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: November 12, 2017, 10:25:03 PM »

Continued vibes to Elmore and the kids!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!