Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAZE  (Read 12849 times)

Jennifer

Re: YESTERDAZE
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »

For DR TCB,

If you have a kindle keyboard:

This is what i do.

Turn wireless on.

Hit menu and choose "experimental".

Hit "launch browser".

I bookmarked my gmail and my goodreads. So by clicking on bookmarks i can go to any of those sites Twitter too. I can't do facebook. For some reason it doesn't want to load properly.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 07:29:10 AM »

For anyone who has a kindle:

This pre-order of Bleed for Me which is regular $25.99 is free right now. Looks interesting.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QX07B4?ie=UTF8&tag=httpcheapereb-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B004QX07B4

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 07:38:44 AM »

Looks like Best Supporting Actor is going to be the biggest contest (IMHO, anyway).  I know current sentiment is probably for Christopher Plummer, but I have a hunch Nick Nolte is going to win.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 07:39:25 AM »

No Oscar nomination for Albert Brooks.

That's a bit of a surprise.
It is.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 07:39:33 AM »

TOD:  I've always thought I like to take one of those riverboat cruises up or down the Mississippi in autumn.  Lazing on a boat and watching the world go by as the leaves turn, preferably with good friends, a few good books, quality food, and libations, sounds ideal.

John G.

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 07:40:58 AM »

Looks like Best Supporting Actor is going to be the biggest contest (IMHO, anyway).  I know current sentiment is probably for Christopher Plummer, but I have a hunch Nick Nolte is going to win.
And my sentimental choice would be Max von Sydow for giving a silent performance (in a year of praising silents) and for career achievement. True, he didn't sing over the Alps with small children ... But maybe that's in his favor.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 07:49:01 AM »

TOD:

(Doable things):
I've never been across the Golden Gate Bridge.

I've never gotten a passport (despite having been around the world a couple of times and having lived in Europe for 9-plus years).

(Not doable things):

Pondering this one....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 07:49:29 AM »

My hunch for Supporting Actor is Christopher Plummer.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »

And my sentimental choice would be Max von Sydow for giving a silent performance (in a year of praising silents) and for career achievement. True, he didn't sing over the Alps with small children ... But maybe that's in his favor.

He also didn't marry Holly, Hannah's sister, when she wanted him to, and lost her to some professor.  Thank goodness Elliott stayed with Hannah!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:16:24 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »

DR Pogue, I am assuming your lack of response to my PM means "No".  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 07:56:02 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Richard and I went out last night and bought anniversary presents for each other - he bought me a washer and I bought him a dryer  ;)  Isn't that romantic?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 07:56:37 AM »

But of course we all know what assuming does.  :)

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 07:56:49 AM »

Today is the second of my 3 beginner knitting classes.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 07:56:57 AM »

Michael S, thanks for the notes on Mark Kudish. I've always liked his voice, but stories on him seem to leave a few too many questions. Too much ego? Too little him outside his roles? I guess I'd rather see him in a role like "The Glorious Ones" instead of an evening of him performing.  
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Richard and I went out last night and bought anniversary presents for each other - he bought me a washer and I bought him a dryer  ;)  Isn't that romantic?
Clean clothes can certainly assist romance.
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 07:58:35 AM »

It's really interesting to see those left off the Oscar noms after having waded through the slew of "For Your Consideration" ads littering Variety for the past few months (yes, months).

JMK

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2012, 07:59:47 AM »

I just yesterday posted a review for one of the Best Doc noms, HELL AND BACK AGAIN.  Interesting companion piece to RESTREPO.

JMK

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 08:01:20 AM »

In other news, I have become quite fond of the little trance tune "To Ulrike M" by the wonderfully named Swedish band The Doris Days.

John G.

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »

I just yesterday posted a review for one of the Best Doc noms, HELL AND BACK AGAIN.  Interesting companion piece to RESTREPO.
I find the best doc category ridiculous. Again, Werner Herzog made two of the best documentaries of the year and both were left off the list of those considered.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 08:06:15 AM »

Clean clothes can certainly assist romance.

LOL!

Richard has been going to the laundromat about once a week since our washer conked out on Dec. 12.  We decided to wait until the January sales to deal with it.  And, to be honest, we've often made a household purchase for our anniversary since it comes on the heels of both birthdays and Christmas.

JMK

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2012, 08:10:31 AM »

I wonder if we'll get the little homages delivered to each of the Best Actor and Actress nominees this year.  I can hear it now:

"Jean Dujardin, just who the f*** are you, anyway?"  ;)

Laura

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2012, 08:21:03 AM »

DR Ginny, we once bought a block fence along the alley for our Christmas present. It's still there, too.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »

DR Laura - sounds good!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up.... And... I guess I needed a bit more sleep last night.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »

DR Michael S - Thanks for the Marc Kudisch report. I was born in 1968, and had a lot of 45s, so... However, I'm guessing he was listening to his parents' 78s.

On a related note, I just read the review for Michael Cerveris' "American Songbook" evening at Lincoln Center. He apparently sang Barber's "Knoxville: Summer of 1915". Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2012, 09:12:22 AM »

Oscar Nominations:

http://www.moviemuser.co.uk/News/8260/2012-Oscar-Nominations-Announced.aspx

I was going to link the Academy Award official site - but there are too many commercials and some terrible MUSIC that plays all the time you are on the page.

Only 2 songs nominated for best original song? Why didn't they just eliminate the category this year?
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2012, 09:14:46 AM »

DR Michael S - Thanks for the Marc Kudisch report. I was born in 1968, and had a lot of 45s, so... However, I'm guessing he was listening to his parents 78s.

78s were quite possible/probable in the late 60s-early 70s.  "Hi-Fi" units, both mono and stereo, were routinely outfitted with three speeds...45, 33 1/3 and 78 rpm.   The trouble with playing 78s is that the grooves were generally larger than diamond-tipped styli could handle (and with the end of monaural recordings in the late 60s, most LPs being manufactured required the diamond-tipped stylus).   Fortunately, hi-fis were also fitted with switchable stylus levers and you could buy a stylus with diamond tip on one side and "whatever" (steel, nickel?) on the other for 78s.   I also had 78s in my collection of music...stuff I couldnt' find on 33 1/3, for instance.   I was a teenager when Kudisch and Simbulan were born, so I know it was "likely".  You could get some great deals on 78s (which were no longer being manufactured) in drug stores, five-and-ten stores, book shops, etc.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:21:51 AM by Ron Pulliam »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2012, 09:15:23 AM »

And...

Good Afternoon!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - If you were to obtain a passport, which of your former duty stations would you like to re-visit?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »

And...

I really should get a (late) jump-start on my day.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up