Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RAINS CAME  (Read 29217 times)

FJL

Re:THE RAINS CAME
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »

Der B - LOL!  And that could build up to the great line:  "Or too much to eat/Or maybe it's fleas"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2008, 08:24:11 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm washing dishes!

*Well, I just started the dishwasher, that is.  Hmm... and I'm smelling incense right now, or at least a touch of patchouli.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »

Is patchouli anything like shipoopi?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2008, 08:32:39 AM »

As for AOL's Top 11(?) List... Well... After reading the wrap-up in the NY Times of the dining scene in NYC this past year, I'd probably have to agree.  Yes, there were some great new "rooms" that opened in 2007, but I think everyone is still living in the proverbial shadow of Thomas Keller's Per Se - which opened back in 2004.  And most of the notable new restaurants that opened in 2007 were more homey, rustic affairs.  *And some of the hopefuls of this past year, ended up not living up to all their hype and pedigree (a.k.a. Gordon Ramsay at The London).  However, 2008 holds lot of promise.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 08:32:55 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2008, 08:33:16 AM »

Is patchouli anything like shipoopi?

God, I hope not.
Make Your Own Luck.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2008, 08:43:16 AM »

Dear FJL, 'being reminded' x 2 simply means you have a good memory, which will be useful when you're as old as I (Is anyone as old as I?)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »

Oy! Such a morning it's been.  I'm having the most frustrating time ofver these "Lady of the Slipper" notes; I hate everything I've written andit's driving me mad.  The major issue is that the NYPL has a plethora of info on the original "Babes In Toyland" production because it's publcist/bsiness manager kept 4 voluminous scrapbooks of the show's run from March 1903 press releases throughthe show's first-class tour returning to Chicago in Sept 1904. There's also a huge file of programs, posters and other ephemera.  "The Lady Of the Slipper," a huge all-star succes in Oct 1912, has next to nothing beyond a few comments in the bios of Elsie Janis and Fred Stone: no NYPL scrapbooks for producer Charles Dillingham, no show scrapbook, and only occasional clippings in the scrapbooks of Doglas Stevenson (the Prince) and Helen Falconer (Ms Janis' understudy who finished up the 1914 tour).  Piecing together a history of this show from only a few comments is an ordeal.  I want my epitaph to be"Toyland spoiled him."

So, I've been up this morning trying to piece together a series of paragraphs I like, and I don't like any of them.

More to follow.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »

And speaking of Food Writing...

I highly recommend the latest issue of Gourmet Magazine.  The focus of this issue: Southern Food!

They've published a wonderful essay "What Is Southern?" by one of the Grand Dames of Southern Cuisine, Edna May Lewis.  The essay was just recently discovered, and the editors at Gourmet have more or less built the entire issue around it, which includes a good sampling of Edna May Lewis' recipes.

There's also an extensive(!!!) Southern Brunch menu by Atlanta chef, Scott Peacock, as well as more basic Southern Fried Chicken Dinner menu by one of their editors.

However, the articles in this issue ended up keeping me up last night for a few hours.  I read almost the whole issue before heading to bed.  DR edisaurus - Besides the feature on Scott Peacock, there's also an assessment of the Southern dining scene in Atlanta by John T. Edge.  I'd be interested in your "comparisons".

OH!  And the recipe for a Mile High Chocolate Layer Cake that calls for six sticks of butter for the frosting!   :)

*It was also sort of "shocking" to see some very simple recipes in this issue, with some very basic ingredient lists.  Even Scott Peacock's "fancy" brunch is more or less doable after a good trip to the grocery store, and some advance planning.

Serves 8

Champagne Punch
Pimento Cheese Toasts
Ambrosia
Braised-Pork Hash
Creamy Stone-Ground Grits
Lowcountry Breakfast Shrimp
Eggs with Cream, Spinach, and Country Ham
Slow-Roasted Tomatoes
Crisp Winter Lettuces with Warm Sweet-and-Sharp Dressing
Crusty Buttermilk Biscuits
Spoon-Bread Muffins
Warm Sweet-Potato Pudding with Apples and Chestnuts
Bourbon Pecan Tarts
Boiled Coffee

*Now that's a brunch!
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »

Yesterday at 1:40 PM I received an urgent Email from the West Coast asking me to do some data base work. The Email contained a link to a City computer from which I could down-load the required voter data files.

Now, this was 9 files adding up to a bit more than 200 MegaBytes of data - and me on Dial-up! And, oh how lucky, the password would expire at 7:30 Pm! Inasmuch as the download took over three hours, It's a good thing I read the EMail promptly!

While HHW was busy having too many connections, I was able to clobber together one of the three desired databases and sent it back to CA as a Zipped file. I included an invoice for the bargain price of $250. The other two data bases will garner me an additional $600 and I can expect about $200 or more in added consulting fees :D

(Fortunately all those years I spent doing campaign consulting got campaign managers used to using my proprietary software - no one seems to like the stuff my competitors sell; when I was hospitalized during one campaign, a candidate called in a software consulting company to do some work on my system and after a few days of wheel spinning they left with the words "This stuff is too complex for us to figure out!")

So now one CA campaign manager has a handy-dandy data-base for a School Board race that will allow for targeted mailings, precinct walking, phone polling, and robo-calls to annoy the hell out of everybody.

der Brucer

And now you know a little more about how this most annoying business of political campaigning comes about.

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2008, 08:53:23 AM »

brian - Thanks for looking at the bright side.  There are times (not that often, thankfully) when I need to be reminded of the glass-half-full theory.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2008, 08:54:04 AM »

And if you'd like to get a sneak peak at the issue, you can do so online.  Just click below:

Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »

(Is anyone as old as I?)

You were in diapers when I was in Junior High!

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »

TOD:

BABY'S DAY OUT

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2008, 09:03:36 AM »

And for a bit more information on Edna May Lewis and Scott Peacock - and Southern Cooking(!), I highly recommend:

The Gift of Southern Cooking: Recipes and Revelations from Two Great American Cooks

Not only is the book filled with some wonderful recipes, but the recollections and advice from Miss Lewis and Mr. Peacock are invaluable.

*And the whole story about how the book came about, and how Lewis and Peacock became not only mentor and protege, but dear, dear friends, is quite wonderful in itself.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:04:37 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2008, 09:13:36 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Ditto ;)

But I'd also add:

"South Park - Bigger, Longer & Uncut"
"Drop Dead Gorgeous" - So wrong in so many ways.  ;D

*And if I could back thirty years, I would have to include:

"Airplane"
"Tootsie"

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2008, 09:18:51 AM »

Yesterday at 1:40 PM I received an urgent Email from the West Coast asking me to do some data base work. The Email contained a link to a City computer from which I could down-load the required voter data files.

Now, this was 9 files adding up to a bit more than 200 MegaBytes of data - and me on Dial-up! And, oh how lucky, the password would expire at 7:30 Pm! Inasmuch as the download took over three hours, It's a good thing I read the EMail promptly!

While HHW was busy having too many connections....

But HHW was not down until around midnight last night.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »

But HHW was not down until around midnight last night.  ???

I did the downloads earlier and used the later HHW downtime to process and package the data which I sent after 3 AM

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2008, 09:39:16 AM »

REAL CLEAR POLITICS

Rasmussen: Obama +10, McCain +5 in N.H.

There are new Rasmussen numbers for New Hampshire taken after the Iowa Caucuses:

Democrats
Obama 37 (+9 vs. 12/18 poll)
Clinton 27 (-4)
Edwards 19 (+1)
Richardson 8 (nc)

In the latest RCP Average for New Hampshire, Clinton leads Obama by 1.2 points (32.5% to 31.6%).

Rasmussen also found that 40% of the voters will be independents and of those Obama holds a 16-point lead.

Republicans
McCain 31 (+4 vs. 12/18)
Romney 26 (-5)
Paul 14 (+7)
Huckabee 11 (nc)
Giuliani 8 (-5)
Thompson 5 (+2)

In the latest RCP Average, McCain holds a 3.2-point lead over Romney (31% to 27.8%). Also, don't look now, but Ron Paul has jumped 7 points.

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »

Survived the online bored board meeting and am very glad NOT to be driving back from Columbus on this cold, rainy afternoon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2008, 09:48:29 AM »

Well, as Matt might say to his carpet;

It's nap time!

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2008, 10:08:30 AM »

Oh, cool!

Just catching up on more stuff on the DVR... Currently the latest edition of "Theatre Talk".  Today's guests: John Simon, Barry Day and Elaine Stritch(!). -Recollections of Noel Coward.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2008, 10:10:08 AM »

Good day one and all!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2008, 10:14:59 AM »

So, I've been up this morning trying to piece together a series of paragraphs I like, and I don't like any of them.

I hate that when it happens....  A person takes to writing and you pray and hope it goes swimmingly and then the paper and pen do not want to cooperate with the mind.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »

Writing vibes to Elmore!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »

I suppose I'm up.  Still gray out but no rain this fine morning.  I slept fitfully, with more odd dreams.  I must now de-groggify.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2008, 10:16:03 AM »

A dog is having a bowel movement in front of the house.  A man with a blue bag has cleaned it up.  

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2008, 10:16:06 AM »

Feel better vibes to FJL...

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »

Because I needed to do something tactile and non-cerebral after sitting at my computer for 3 hours this morning, I've started getting ready to put away Christmas decorations.  I'm not allowed to remove anything until after tomorrow (Epiphany, you know), but some of the boxes needed to be reorganized after several weeks of rummaging for things as needed for holiday festivities.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »

Yes, of course, the comedy film lists should be from 1988 to now.  I'll fix the notes.

singdaw

« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2008, 10:20:42 AM »

A man with a blue bag has cleaned it up.

Well there's a good neighbor!  It drives me crazy when dog owners aren't responsible citizens.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up