Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RAINS CAME  (Read 29132 times)

FJL

Re:THE RAINS CAME
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2008, 04:08:35 PM »

Or maybe not - are we on page 8?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2008, 04:12:46 PM »

Si.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2008, 04:46:35 PM »

Comedies since 1988:
MOULIN ROUGE!
THE HOURS
THE INVASION
EYES WIDE SHUT
FUR
BIRTH
DOGGVILLE
BEWTICHED
THE INTERPRETER
THE OTHERS

I dunno, there's just something that makes me laugh out loud anytime I see a credit for Nicole Kidman, whether I see the movie or not, she's always good for a laugh.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »

Time to get dinner cooking

A simple Stroganoff
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2008, 04:51:35 PM »

PAGE EIGHT DANCE:

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2008, 04:52:58 PM »

No, Tomovoz, I am not the least bit surprised that you also don't care for "While You Were Sleeping."

It's up there with "Dreamgirls" and "Steel Magnolias" as huge puzzlements to me as to why their charms elude you.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

td

• td
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2008, 04:53:08 PM »

Thanks to a Christmas package which, deliberately, arrived this afternoon, I was able to watch Ann-Margret in DAMES AT SEA.   ;)

td

• td
« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »

I can relate to DR tomovoz' reaction to STEEL MAGNOLIAS; I don't know what he has against DREAMGIRLS, however.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »

Ron P - Maybe I need to look at "While You were Sleeping" again.  I recall cringing a bit at the leading character's behavior - but apparently many others disagree.

Well,no...not Tomovoz.

It's the oddities and peculiarities that make this group interesting.

Although I suspect there are some "other external factors" at work in some cases...!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2008, 04:58:25 PM »

I can relate to DR tomovoz' reaction to STEEL MAGNOLIAS; I don't know what he has against DREAMGIRLS, however.

It's what he's told us about Australian audience reactions to "Dreamgirls" that has me stumped.  He once wrote that they pretty much laughed at the film and the performers in it.

What was funny?  It's slick, beautifully made and extraordinarily performed (with exception of Jamie Fox).  Jennifer Hudson is amazing.  It gets better each time I see it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2008, 04:58:40 PM »

Ron P - Maybe I need to look at "While You were Sleeping" again.  I recall cringing a bit at the leading character's behavior - but apparently many others disagree.

DR FJL, I thought it was clear that the character is looking for the "we of me" (a Carson McCullers reference) and being a part of his family was what she really wanted more than the object of her affection.  When I had serious surgery in 1999, a dear friend told the hospital she was my sister to get into recovery to check on me so I can understand her deception to get into the hospital by telling them she was his fiancee.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »

PROJECT RUNWAY MINI-SPOILER NOTICED ON THE RERUN

Michael Kors was saying one designer's effort was "sophisticated," and almost on the word "sophisticated," they cut to the back where that designer was  ungracefully shoving food into his mouth.  It was garish yet adorable.  :)

FJL

« Reply #222 on: January 05, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »

Larry and Ron - Maybe it's the difference between what i imagine a dear friend would do as opposed to someone who just carried a silent infatuation with someone (as in the movie).  It was only a slight case of the creeps that the movie gave me, and maybe I'll try that movie again since so many people love it.

Ginny

« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2008, 05:22:12 PM »

DH Richard and I are back from a glamorous Saturday evening outing - dinner at a local family restaurant and grocery shopping.  While we were eating we received a phone call from DS Rob, reporting from the road.  They've left the ski resort and are on their way back to Mary Linda's family's home.  No broken bones - whew!

TOD - What Women Want
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2008, 05:33:11 PM »

I have nothing to say except that I have seen While You Were Sleeping and have nothing to say about it.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

singdaw

« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2008, 05:35:25 PM »

Whew!  I am tired.

Church all morning tomorrow and then a rehearsal at a synagogue in the afternoon.

Popping in to say "Good Night" to all!

:)

MBarnum

« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2008, 05:40:39 PM »

I am hungry but don't feel like fixing anything...perhaps some Chinese takeout would be good?!

MBarnum

« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »

After I eat some foodstuffs it will be time to watch another Bollywood film...this evening it will be SHREE 420 (1955) starring Raj Kapoor, Nargis, Nadira, Nemo, Iftekar, and Lalita Pawar.

This is one of the great classics of Hindi cinema and I am expecting it to be quite good.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 05:45:03 PM by MBarnum »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2008, 05:50:11 PM »

I've done five pages so far, which is more than I'd planned, but I may go ahead and do another one or two and get to the end of the chapter I'm currently on.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2008, 05:53:08 PM »

Saturday night and the DEBATE is on.  I watch it now and then, but mostly I watch COPS.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2008, 05:53:21 PM »

I just keep thinking - these are our BEST choices?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »

Time for dinner.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from a bit of wandering and knoshing.  -Yeah, so what else is new?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2008, 06:34:49 PM »

I ended up dining with currently errant and truant DR Jason.  He's back at the Q, but he'll be transferring a few doors down next week to start being the merch manager over at A Chorus Line.  He survived his tour - which included having to perform the last three stops/shows with a severe case of laryngitis.  And then once he was back in the City, it was right back into the merch biz - along with a trip home to Kentucky to see his family.  *He also got a laptop for Christmas, and once he transfers over to the Schoenfeld and only has to worry about "walk in" and "walk out", he hopes to be popping back in here to post.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2008, 06:37:20 PM »

Sitting here working on genealogy and listening to the debates... The Dems are on now
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Tomovoz

« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2008, 06:38:35 PM »

BTW - I wanted to like "DreamGirls".  I'm not yet brave enough to try and watch 'Hairspray" (I thought the old movie was cute).

The audience laughter at the preview screening was at yet another over emotive song and then another one and then another one. I don't care for that type of vocalising.  I guess a bit like FW's musicals - all big ballad heavy.
It was way too late to introduce a character song rather than a performance song for the musical to "work" for me.  The spotlighting the theatre in those end scenes was total clichéed corn.
I thought Jennifer's performance was great. Beyoncée was way out of her depth!
The movie had some appeal to a younger audience here (the ones who watch Idol).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2008, 06:40:05 PM »

DR td. Thank you for the list of movies to avoid! LOL
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #237 on: January 05, 2008, 06:41:53 PM »

Then after a stop at Amy's Bread - Omigod! The Monkey Cake was sooooo fresh - the icing was actually still on the warm side, and the cake layers still had a hint of "crust" to them - I headed on up to meet Michael - yes, that Michael - to catch a movie.  It was between "Juno" and "Atonement", and we were just going to walk up to Lincoln Square and buy tickets to whatever was screening first.  Well...

We stood in line at one of the self-service kiosks, and  ended up behind this young woman who was on her phone trying to convince her friend to come see "I Am Legend" (in the IMAX screen).  Of course, she starts panicking when the manager comes over the PA system and starts announcing that various showings are Sold Out of very close to selling out.  She's already punched in her quantity, "2", but she's still jabbering away with her friend on the phone.  "Oh... Are you sure you don't want to see it? Come on, it should be fun.  I mean, I really should buy the ticket now since it may sell out in the next few minutes... Well, maybe I'll just buy the tickets now even if I don't end up going to see the movie..."

-Excuse me? Are you going to talk or buy your tickets?

(Pause of acknowledgement)...  "Well... I mean the movie should be really cool on the IMAX screen... I know it's raining, but it's not too bad right now, come on over, I'm nearby...."

She finally buys her tickets.

Of course, in the interim, we had realized that all the showings for ALL the movies were sold out at that hour.  Nothing was available until 10:00.  Ah, welll...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2008, 06:45:51 PM »

It's great we all have such different tastes in entertainment.

I think it was DR who mentioned "Boy On a Dolphin" today. I loved the movie when I saw it back whenever. I've not been able to find the title song in my years of collecting so decided to check for it again. (Julie London). The prices of the 45 rpm single and the soundtrack vinyl are beyond belief.  (I eventually found a CD that has the track)
Thanks Ron.  At last my "wanted list" is complete! (A Johnny Depp reference perhaps)
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #239 on: January 05, 2008, 06:49:31 PM »

Since we were on the UWS, we wandered here and there.  We walked by Levain - they had closed an hour earlier anyway.  We walked by Crumbs... Not really in the mood for cupcakes.  We did want to sit down for a bit and catch up, but we didn't feel like squatting in a Starbucks.  So... We ended up in Grom.  It was Michael's first time at the gelateria, and my umpteenth time there.  Oh, they added Green Tea gelato to the seasonal menu... and Cinnamon... Hmm..  Well, I decided to have a cup of their Cioccolata Calda di Latte - hot chocolate - (with whipped cream!) and Michael had a small cup of their Nougat gelato, then we settled into the seating area in the back of the store for a bit of chit-chatting and gossip-ing.

While we were there, a family came in.  A mother, a father, and five girls - all in their pre-teens and teens!  They sat at the table next to us, and started talking about their flavor choices for the evening.  It was quite the lively discussion.  Then they moved on to the BEST chocolate and hot chocolate in the city.  Well... I just had to speak up when they I realized they were leaving out the new Jacques Torres location just a few blocks away.  -They even thanked me for my recommendations when we were leaving.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 06:51:01 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up