Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION  (Read 51719 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2007, 01:08:11 PM »

It was a short day of cart-wrangling today.  Very pleasant weather, if a little breezy and polloney.

We currently have a sale going on, five cases of Coke (any variety) for $11.  The catch, that the customer has to buy five cases, no more and no less, is not stopping our little old ladies from obtaining the quencher of their choice en masse.  While not as heavy as the Snapple cases, the cases of Coke aren't exactly lightweight.  The smiles on the little old ladies faces when I offer to help them move the cases from their carts into their cars is another of my job perks.

Happy sigh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2007, 01:09:09 PM »

Sorry, I can't think of a single dance for page seven that involves shopping carts.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2007, 01:12:37 PM »

I am surprised they are having the Tony Awards again...didn't they just do the same thing last year?

Funny how that works out . . . .
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2007, 01:13:56 PM »

How about a shopping cartwheel?  Or have we done that already?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2007, 01:15:18 PM »

The only nom I care to comment on is Miss D'Amboise.  I've always enjoyed her work, but she is NOT a good Cassie, and it's NOT a good performance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2007, 01:15:36 PM »

Will we never get to page eight?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2007, 01:16:03 PM »

No mail at the mail place, but then again they get it so late now it might not have been put out yet.

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2007, 01:17:03 PM »

Had some fun viewing experiences this afternoon.

I began by finishing THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA which I had begun last night. I never tire of this film. The performances are terrific, the sophisticated air of the piece is just intoxicating to me. And even though the surprises in the script aren't surprises any more, I still get emotional at the reactions to the various revelations.

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »

Will we never get to page eight?

Sooner rather than later, I suspect.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »

It has come to my attention that today is "don't buy gas day."  I had no idea, but I support it completely.  Are people listening?  No, they're at the gas station topping off their tanks.  Do you know how much money the oil companies would lose if everyone actually DID boycott today?  And tomorrow?  Let me tell you how fast prices would begin to drop.  There is strength in numbers, but people are just hopeless.  They can't go a day without topping off their stupid tanks.  They couldn't get gas yesterday?  Or tomorrow?  It has to be today?

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2007, 01:19:41 PM »

Next, I watched LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT from last evening.

Great guest star cast last night: Rita Moreno, Roy Sheider, Mark-Linn Baker, Tony Goldwyn, J. Smith Cameron, just to name a few. And some shocking revelations, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moreno's performance doesn't net her an Emmy nomination.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2007, 01:19:42 PM »

The only nom I care to comment on is Miss D'Amboise.  I've always enjoyed her work, but she is NOT a good Cassie, and it's NOT a good performance.

This is probably her SWEET CHARITY nomimation.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »

Next up was the new Criterion release of SANSHO THE BAILIFF. This is a Mizoguchi film that I've managed to miss somehow for decades, but like his other work that I've seen, it's haunting, poetic, and heartbreaking.

A nice Criterion transfer (though I think the contrast might have been a little more vivid.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »

Oh... there was that one too..
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2007, 01:22:51 PM »

This is probably her SWEET CHARITY nomimation.

Bingo!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2007, 01:24:01 PM »

I had time to watch the shortest of the three special video features on the disc, an interview with actress Kyoko Kagawa who played the tragic daughter of the piece. Still a lovely woman now, and I enjoyed her remarks on making the film.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2007, 01:24:17 PM »

Waiting to attach a name to DR JOSE's surprise nomination.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2007, 01:25:26 PM »

Sorry to announce this but CBS has canceled JERICHO, CLOSE TO HOME, and THE CLASS.

I just read this in VARIETY.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2007, 01:27:46 PM »

It has come to my attention that today is "don't buy gas day."  I had no idea, but I support it completely.  Are people listening?  No, they're at the gas station topping off their tanks.  Do you know how much money the oil companies would lose if everyone actually DID boycott today?  And tomorrow?  Let me tell you how fast prices would begin to drop.  There is strength in numbers, but people are just hopeless.  They can't go a day without topping off their stupid tanks.  They couldn't get gas yesterday?  Or tomorrow?  It has to be today?

A Shell station in the City of San Francisco was featured on yesterday's news for having the highest prices in the state....$4.63 for a gallon of regular (IIRC).  Across the street, another station was selling for $3.69/gal. of regular.

The manager of the station was interviewed and it was revealed that Shell Oil raised his rent so much that his only recourse was to increase the price-per-gallon or he would not be making any profit at all.  Of course he's not getting more than a few customers a day...and those folks who were asked if they hadn't noticed the cheaper prices across the street professed they hadn't checked, but were in a hurry and there was a line across the street.

The manager indicated he's selling the station back to Shell and will seek another line of work.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2007, 01:28:34 PM »

UPS man has come and gone:  He left me "wonderful" things.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #200 on: May 15, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »

I just heard a cute joke:

Because of a mix up in the booking of her flight, a little old lady gets bumped up to first class.  After she seats herself, she is joined next to her by a wealthy matron.  The little old lady excitedly introduces herself and attempts to start up a conversation with her seatmate.

"Where are you from?", the little old lady asks.

"I'm from a place where people do not end a sentence with a preposition," the matron icily replies.

"Oh...", says the little old lady.  "And where are you travelling to, bitch?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2007, 01:29:48 PM »

Never having seen Donna do this, BK, I have to tell you she was spectacular in the performance I saw.  Possibly many of the voters who nominate haven't seen the original, either.

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2007, 01:30:24 PM »

On the good TV news front:

CW has renewed SMALLVILLE and SUPERNATURAL (and ONE TREE HILL for those who watch it). No word yet on VERONICA MARS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2007, 01:30:48 PM »

Sorry to announce this but CBS has canceled JERICHO, CLOSE TO HOME, and THE CLASS.

I have no idea what those shows are.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2007, 01:30:51 PM »

I just heard a cute joke:

Because of a mix up in the booking of her flight, a little old lady gets bumped up to first class.  After she seats herself, she is joined next to her by a wealthy matron.  The little old lady excitedly introduces herself and attempts to start up a conversation with her seatmate.

"Where are you from?", the little old lady asks.

"I'm from a place where people do not end a sentence with a preposition," the matron icily replies.

"Oh...", says the little old lady.  "And where are you travelling to, bitch?

PURR-fect!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »

Sorry about "Jericho", I am.  But...not totally surprised.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2007, 01:32:53 PM »

And today is also New Flavor Day at Häagen-Dazs Shops from 4:00pm-8:00pm.

You can try Cinnamon Dulce de Leche or Sticky Toffee Pudding.  FOR FREE!

FREE ICE CREAM
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 01:36:51 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2007, 01:34:14 PM »

I think only two of the girls in the movie threw coins into the fountain.  Jean Peters wanted to go home....although her story had a rather different outcome.

There WAS a third coin thrown, though.  I'll have to pull this DVD out and watch it again on my plasma.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »

Never having seen Donna do this, BK, I have to tell you she was spectacular in the performance I saw.  Possibly many of the voters who nominate haven't seen the original, either.

From what I recall, most of the members of the nominating committee were probably at the premier of THE BLACK CROOK.
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2007, 01:34:52 PM »

I have no idea what those shows are.

Me neither. Never seen any of them.

The only series I follow is THE CLOSER, and, well...I kind of have to do that.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up