Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY THE TURKEYS ATE US  (Read 24707 times)

Kerry

Re:THE DAY THE TURKEYS ATE US
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2007, 09:03:05 AM »

Besides Susan Hayward  brilliantly being Susan Hayward in, "With a Song in My Heart," we have Thelma Ritter as Clancy who can steal a whole movie and the studio to go with it before anyone notices.   They managed to make a good movie out of something that could have been very sappy.  It is interesting that Max Showalter (who appears briefly as David Wayne's show biz partner) also wrote that that hideous hillbilly number of theirs.

I am now in the process of stuffing celery.  Unlike my grandmother who had these clean, even pieces, I have cream cheese all over everything.    Pretty soon, I'll undoubtedly blood on something too.  Luckily, the red and green together are quite festive.
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2007, 09:11:10 AM »

Congratulations to DN of DRKERRY - Everett, and his mom!

Of course for a few years, he will be known as Everwett.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2007, 09:12:59 AM »

I had nothing but COMPANY yesterday, and it never stopped...then I made a couple of last minute visits to retail establishments....

Tomorrow I am working, and I am getting together my CD's for the season..including a couple sent to me by DR ELMORE which were great favorites last year.

I loved the cartoon that DR GINNY posted a couple of days ago, with the BIG XMAN SEMI TRAILER TRUCK honking its horn at a small turkey in the road..... "Get out of the way!!!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2007, 09:14:55 AM »

Any photos on a website of the British production of THE BRAIN?  I will be interested to see Zubrick's costume.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2007, 09:26:59 AM »

And off I jaunt to work!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2007, 09:28:10 AM »

I loved the cartoon that DR GINNY posted a couple of days ago, with the BIG XMAN SEMI TRAILER TRUCK honking its horn at a small turkey in the road..... "Get out of the way!!!"

DH Richard had sent that to me at work, knowing that it expressed my sentiments exactly.

Yesterday, our favorite local editorial cartoonist, Jim Borgman of the Cincinnati Enquirer, depicted a busy airport gate at which the monitor reads:

Over River - Delayed
Thru Woods - Delayed
Grmothrs Hse - Cancelled

Hope no DRs experience anything like that if their weekend plans require air transport.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2007, 09:29:48 AM »

We're about to leave for Cincinnati - time to pack up the pies!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »

e?

Tur spelled backwards is rut...most unseemly.

And don't you wonder how boneless turkeys reproduce?

:o :o :o  I am shocked!   :o :o :o  
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2007, 09:39:23 AM »

So...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2007, 09:49:56 AM »

First of all, a very Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.  One of the things I'm thankful for this year are (is?) the many friends I've made right on this here site.  :)

Re:  The Girl Next Door.  I'm still somewhat slack-jawed that several thousand people have read my review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?___f=preview&ID=31443&___r=%2Freviews%2Flogin%2Freviews.php%3FrecordState%3DApproved

BK, you'll see I whole-heartedly agree with your Drew Casper comment, but I also include Miles Kreuger, who really ought to look in a mirror once in a while before agreeing to be filmed.  Meow.  BTW, Haver was dubbed in this film (and in most of hers, actually, though she sings herself in some of the earliest films).

Re:  schlep.  I got to call The Oregonian today because some goyische writer used "schlep" in an article on Charlie Brown, when he obviously meant "shlub."  I wished him a Happy Channukah.  Meow.  :)

Speaking of The Oregonian--I perused yesterday's posts re:  Enchanted.  Our reviewer was not very enthusiastic, but it seems he's in the minority.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2007, 09:52:10 AM »

June Haver was dubbed?  Whoever did it was great, and she did a great job convincing me it was her.  I can usually tell, but the match was perfect.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2007, 09:52:37 AM »

DR JMK says that his review of THE GIRL NEXT DOOR has had an extraordinary number of hits.....and the one review on Amazon.com says that June Haver fell during the shooting of one dance number and suffered a concussion, causing a delay of production from late 1951 to early 1952...the film wasn't released until 1953....during the few months that she was in the convent.

I had never read her IMDB entry, and it's interesting.  She decided to enter the convent soon after her fiance, a dentist, died during routine surgery.  She left the convent when she became ill, returned to California, planned to go back to the convent, but met Fred MacMurray.

And that is what is called changing your mind with a  vengeance.

Danise

« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2007, 09:53:51 AM »

Happy Turkey Day all!

Thank you, Jose, for your post.  I guess you all know that my Mom is very much on my mind today.

I guess my favorite memory of the day is when she and my Dad were alive and we were all together.  

I had several invites to Thanksgiving dinner today but I have chose to stay home.  I still get very tired and grumpy in the afternoon and when I want to lay down, I want to lay down.  Not that I wouldn’t have enjoyed the company but there’s also the thought that I would have to wait until someone else wanted to leave before I could come home.  

My turkey was cooked and is in the fridge thawing out from when I cooked it a couple of Sundays ago before I went on my trip.  I’ll just heat it up in the good old microwave when the time comes.

I did feel up to making chestnuts.  I put the X in them yesterday and soaked them in salt water all night long.  I baked them this morning and they are so yummy!  The holiday wouldn’t be the same without them.  And of course I also bought a pomegranate for later this evening.

I’m thankful for good friends and family and coming through yet another surgery.

I saw Dolly Parton on one of the floats this morning and I don’t know how she does it.  Her back must be a mess.   I know that mine felt the difference right away.  

It’s funny that I was called “four eyed Dolly Parton” when I went to high school.  I can’t begin to tell you how many times I went home crying because of how cruel the kids were about the two things there was no way I could do anything about.   Now there is no way I could be called either.  Funny how life has a way of working out.  :) ;) :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2007, 09:53:58 AM »

That link doesn't work - can you fix it?  It's not clickable here, and even when I cut and paste I get an error message.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »

Good morning, good day, how are you this beautiful day.  I'm up.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2007, 09:55:38 AM »

Beryl Davis sang for June Bug in the movie.

JMK

« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »

If you're talking about the link to my review, it's working for me.

JR--Haver and MacMurray already knew each other--they made a movie together in the 40s (can't recall what it is right now).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2007, 09:57:56 AM »

If you're talking about the link to my review, it's working for me.

JR--Haver and MacMurray already knew each other--they made a movie together in the 40s (can't recall what it is right now).

Where Do We Go From Here? would be it, I guess.

Maybe I should say....met AGAIN....LOL.   ;D

I just clicked the link, and it worked....even though it doesn't all show in BLUE.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:58:23 AM by JRand57 »

JMK

« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2007, 09:59:19 AM »

I just re-posted the link with the url tag and it's working fine.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »

Read the review and realized I hadn't talked about the transfer.  I'll slightly disagree with JMK - the colors are fine, but the matrices are clearly off, which is why you see a slightly green halo around so many things - the matrices being off creates a softer than necessary appearance - this happens a lot on Fox films for some reason, and also some Universal Technicolor transfers suffer from it majorly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2007, 10:02:17 AM »

Did Beryl Davis ever do anything?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2007, 10:05:03 AM »

She was an English girl married for years to Peter Potter, didn't he do JukeBox Jury.  She did some television work, but not a lot Stateside.

JMK

« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2007, 10:05:43 AM »

Read the review and realized I hadn't talked about the transfer.  I'll slightly disagree with JMK - the colors are fine, but the matrices are clearly off, which is why you see a slightly green halo around so many things - the matrices being off creates a softer than necessary appearance - this happens a lot on Fox films for some reason, and also some Universal Technicolor transfers suffer from it majorly.

I thought the green halo around June was just a pre-cursor to her impending Sisterhood.  ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2007, 10:07:25 AM »

I think Beryl and Connie Haines joined Jane Russell as part of the Hollywood Christian Trio who sang hymns on an LP in the 1950's.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »

Here is a recipe for the best creamed corn ever.  Who will be the first hainsie/kimlet to make it this very day?

2 pkg (10oz each) frozen kernal corn - cooked in water and drained
8oz (1/2 pint) whipping cream
8oz (1 cup) homogenized milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. Accent
6 tsp. sugar
pinch of white or cayenne pepper (I use cayenne)
3 tbs. melted butter
2 rounded tbs. flour

Combine all ingredients except the last two in pan and bring to a boil.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Blend butter with flour.  Add to corn.  Mix well to avoid lumps and remove from heat.  The End.

JMK

« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2007, 10:09:34 AM »

I think Beryl and Connie Haines joined Jane Russell as part of the Hollywood Christian Trio who sang hymns on an LP in the 1950's.

Sister Jane Russell--I'd get me to that nunnery.   :o

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2007, 10:10:10 AM »

The first TV show where they filmed with an audience that I ever went to was Juke Box Jury.  My father got us tickets and it filmed at NBC, then on Sunset and Vine.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2007, 10:17:16 AM »

That exterior of that building was featured in PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE courtesy of stock footage.

JMK

« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2007, 10:17:57 AM »

Girl Next Door punchline department:  just went into the "backstage" area of DVD Talk and saw that the Hefner series GirlS Next Door just released a DVD, so I'll bet the illiterati were accessing my review thinking it was that one. ;D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up