Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES  (Read 24179 times)

Cillaliz

Re:WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2005, 09:19:23 PM »

I saw NORTH COUNTRY tonight.  I enjoyed it. I went to the 6:40 pm showing. For about the first 10 minutes I was the only person in the theater, then one couple came in late and sat a long way away from me.  It was great! I really do love it when it's almost a private showing.  Just me and the big screen.   Great way to get lost in a movie and I have no qualms about getting weepy

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2005, 09:19:38 PM »

Page 7 YEAH!!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2005, 09:28:38 PM »

YEAH!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2005, 09:30:00 PM »

Good Evening!

Someone pinch me... I think I'm still dreaming...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2005, 09:31:04 PM »

I see Jose is logged on. And he's in the guest room of our apartment. So that's kinda odd.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2005, 09:31:49 PM »

I won't actually go pinch the guy though.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2005, 09:32:53 PM »

As for primal fears... I, for some unknown reason, will visualize myself getting in an accident of some sort where I ended up breaking my arm, losing a finger, fracturing my wrist.  It truly freaks me out sometimes.  I guess with my hands being not only my livelihood, but also my "life".  Consequently, when I hear stories about people breaking a bone, I get so totally oogied out by it.

YUCK!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2005, 09:36:09 PM »

DR Joy - Welcome back!

...And please tell Jeff, Sara and Rachel that I will be available on Mondays to play auditions after next week.  I'm only with Lestat this week, and then I head back down to DC for Arena Stage.  -But I do plan to head back up here on Mondays when I can.  *And once Lestat gets up and running here in the spring, I'll be available most days - except Wednesdays.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: November 01, 2005, 09:37:31 PM »

Plaid would be nice.  Faded plaid from the Goodwill looks better than faded plain.  And try for a pair that's not ripped at the crotch.

...But, Oh! the stories you could tell!!!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: November 01, 2005, 09:38:37 PM »

DR elmore - Carolee Carmello sends her love to you.

-Oh, and I ran into Jonathan Tunick tonight too, and he sends his best too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: November 01, 2005, 09:41:10 PM »

DR td - The smile that came across Jim Stanek's face when I passed on your greetings to him was a great way to start the day.  Happiness.  He sends his best right back to ya'!  And he hopes to see you again sooner rather than later.  -And I do have his contact info with me if you need it, so...

*The "fun" part came when trying to explain how I knew you - "So are you a CMU person?"  -No.  "Are you a Pittsburgh person?" -No.  "Well how do you know Tony?"  -Well, I'm a Bruce Kimmel person...

;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:41:49 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #191 on: November 01, 2005, 09:44:57 PM »

Well, well, well...what a day this has been.

First off - Welcome Back, DR Joy! And thank you (and everyone else) for your sentiments re. my previous post. I'm still feeling a little 'off' about the whole thing, but I think it's just something I'm going to have to let go.

Secondly: I'm afraid of spiders, snakes, heights, success, failure and intimacy. How's that for honesty? How's that for screwed up?!? :)

Thirdly: Thank you, again, Jose, for getting me into today's event. It was very exciting and most educational. And the door prizes are faboo, too. Do you realize that today was the first time I've seen Carolee perform live?

After the little presentation of LESTAT this afternoon, DR Jose and I managed to snag house seats (third row center) for the first preview performance of THE COLOR PURPLE. All I'll say at this point is that the show is in VERY good condition for a first preview. There's a little fleshing out of certain things that need to be tended to, but in general, it was a very well-done piece of theatre. The Act II opening was wonderfully done and I smell a Tony nomination for at least three - possibly five - of the actors in the show.

Jason

« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2005, 09:48:29 PM »

DR Rodzinski: I'm SO glad you liked SWEENEY TODD. I overheard someone at THE COLOR PURPLE who jokingly said he liked SWEENEY better than PURPLE. His friend shunned him immediately and said he should take it back or lose a friend. I thought SWEENEY was fantastic - I'm glad you thought so, too.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:49:23 PM by Jason »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: November 01, 2005, 09:48:48 PM »

kkdfkdjfkdjfkjfkjfkkjkj.

See what happens when you have idle fingers with no focus?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: November 01, 2005, 09:48:58 PM »

Is it really only Tuesday?

What another great, verging on surreal, day it was at the 42nd Street Studios, and eventually the Winter Garden Theatre.  We started off the day by singing through the material that was going to be sung at the Group Sales Presentation later in the afternoon.  The number of chills that went up and down my spine as the soloists went through their number soon became innumerable.  Some truly thrilling moments.  -And to think that most of them had just started learning their songs last Saturday!  Since our MD was going to be accompanying them on the piano, I was just able to sit back and listen and enjoy.

Then came a reading of the second act, and then it was time for lunch.  After lunch we reconvened at the Winter Garden for sound check and a brief run-through.  I did get to meet, albeit very briefly, Sir Elton John, but just being in the same room with him for a couple of hours was "enough".  Anne Rice eventually joined the group closer to the "curtain" time too.  -She was in town today doing promo for her new book, "Christ, the Lord" - various TV appearances this morning and then a book-signing.

The presentation went very well, and I even managed to snag a couple of "goody bags"/souvenirs.  -Oh, as did DR Jason.

Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2005, 09:59:16 PM »

Re LESTAT - did they really announce, as rumored, that there won't be ANY discounts besides the group sales discount?  That sounds really confident if true.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2005, 10:01:36 PM »

Well, as DR Jason just "explained", we managed to get house seats for The Color Purple.  It was their first preview tonight.  Before heading out this morning, I made  sure to print out a copy of the discount offer from Playbill.com. When we stepped up to the box office and asked for two tickets, I noticed that the gentleman behind the glass was pulling up a list of names on his computer screen.   Hmm.. Would magic strike again like it did a few weeks ago when DR Jason got his house seat for Sweeney Todd?  Well, yes it did.  Center Orchestra, Row D.

Once we got into the theatre, I almost thought we were going to be too close since the passarelle came out into the house and covered Row A.   But it was cool being that close - I love seeing actor's faces.  And from what I could tell, we could still see the "big" stage pictures.

The show really is in good shape.  There are some inspired moments/sequences of story-telling, and there are other that are still waiting to be discovered.  And there's one running "joke" that pays itself off many times over as the evening progresses.  -And, yes, I'm being cryptic and secretive about it.

Casting-wise, not really a weak link in the bunch.  I did have one "issue", but it's sort of a minor quibble, and I'll save that comment until after the show gets a few more performances under it's belt.

It was during the intermission that I said, "Hi," to Mr. Tunick and his lovely wife, Lee.  On the way out, I also managed to compliment and congratulate Paul Tazewell, the costume designer.  -The creative staff was gathered at the back of the house as creative staffs are wont to do during previews.  Paul has done a ton of work down at Arena Stage - and many, many other theatres around the country and the world.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2005, 10:01:38 PM »

That's what they said at the close of the presentation - no discounts. And the third balcony will be closed so as to guarantee a good seat to all patrons.

td

• td
« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2005, 10:03:16 PM »

I don't know if I can speak for the rest of the H & Ks, but, I certainly am looking forward to Jose's Lestat postings.
Thanks for being the messenger, Jose.  When Jim Stanek smiles, he can light up an entire city block.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2005, 10:06:23 PM »

Re LESTAT - did they really announce, as rumored, that there won't be ANY discounts besides the group sales discount?  That sounds really confident if true.

Again, as DR Jason stated, Yes, there will be no discounts.

As for the non-selling of the third - or was it second - balcony... That applies to the group sales sales.  I believe - just like in past shows at The Palace - they will still sell those seats at the window at a major discount due to sight-line issues.  -Heck, even The Color Purple is selling the last three rows of the Broadway Theatre for $26.25.

*And a little birdie has mentioned that the AmEx Gold Card and Green Card Exclusive sales have been very good so far.

Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #200 on: November 01, 2005, 10:06:47 PM »

We got row B dead center for Lestat.  I figured that if we're too close to see the stage pictures, we can spend the show watching Jose. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2005, 10:14:35 PM »

I don't know if I can speak for the rest of the H & Ks, but, I certainly am looking forward to Jose's Lestat postings.
Thanks for being the messenger, Jose.  When Jim Stanek smiles, he can light up an entire city block.

Thanks again, td!  -And thanks again to the other DRs for their continued well-wishes.

There is sooo much that has happened in just the past two days alone... It's truly has been overwhelming, but in a good sense.  There are things I wish I could share with you, but can't...  I know I would just end up blabbering on and on...  I want to be sure to preserve the "sanctity" of the rehearsal room and the rehearsal process... And there just a lot of things I just want to keep to and for myself right now...  And there are bound to things I've just plain "forgotten"...

I have four more days with this amazing group of artists... And then I head back to down to DC to be with another amazing group of artists...  And after 12 weeks, I will be rejoining this fine bunch of folks...

Life really is good.

*And, yes, Jim Stanek's smile can light up many rooms.  -And I remember his legs during the Forum revival having a similiar effect.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2005, 10:14:38 PM »

Did anyone read on B'way.com that last week THE WOMAN IN WHITE brought in nearly $400,000 in just three preview performances? Not bad for a very British show...

I also read that Ms. Maria Friedman will take a leave of absence from the show starting Thursday to have breast surgery due to stage one cancer. The producers expect she'll be back in the show by opening on the 17th. Now THAT's a trouper. ~~Good vibes to Ms. Friedman and her family~~

Jason

« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2005, 10:17:19 PM »

*Second balcony. My bad...

The presentation this afternoon was quite exciting and was just enough to whet my appetite for more. No vampire pun intended. I plan to start reading "The Vampire Lestat" as soon as I'm able.

FJL

« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2005, 10:21:57 PM »

With thoughts of vampires that look like Hugh Panaro, I wish you a good night.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2005, 10:27:19 PM »

We got row B dead center for Lestat.  I figured that if we're too close to see the stage pictures, we can spend the show watching Jose. :)

Hey... If you wanted house seats...  ;)

However, alas, into each life a little rain must fall...

I found out two things today which sort of "dampered" me for a few moments...

1)  They will be recording the cast album in San Francisco right after they close at the Curran.  With the San Francisco pit musicians.  In other words, I will not be getting on the OCR.  -However, neither will any of the other Broadway musicians, so there's some consolation in that regards.  I also understand the logic and "ecomomics" behind the decision.  This will allow them to record the show with a group of musicians that will have played with the cast for almost two full months. Additionally, it will allow the OCR to be available in time for the first Broadway preview.  However, since I will be in the Broadway pit, I will get a chance at the various TV appearances ("The Today Show", "Letterman", "The Tony Awards", etc.) as well as all the other promotional events.  *But the MD has assured me - well, I "assured" him as well - that I would get a Thank You in some small font in the liner notes.  -And on another "bright side", the San Fran musicians will only get eight weeks with the show, eight weeks of employment. I, on the other hand, will have years and years of employment.

2) Due to the size of the pit at The Palace, my keyboard and a few other musicians will most likely be placed in the "auxiliary" pit - in another room outside of the pit.  However, the Associate Conductor said I was more than welcome to hang out in the actual pit during intermission so that I could say HI to people.  ;)  -And it will still be nice being part of a 20-piece Broadway pit orchestra - even if I am in another room.  And I won't always have to wear black too!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 10:29:01 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2005, 10:34:57 PM »

Aren't you trying to get "buff" ;D.  Stay away from the candy.

Well, actually, that bit of "news" was for any Hainsies and Kimlets who may have forgotten about the post-Halloween sales.  I've actually done very well the past few days.  Yes, a few indulgences - just a few - but those have been preceded by some very balanced and very healthy meals.

*Actually, I sort of got a head start last week when I home... If the numbers on the scale aren't deceiving me, five pounds already!

Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #207 on: November 01, 2005, 10:38:21 PM »

I just caught up with all of today's posts.  I wasn't able to read anything today at work.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #208 on: November 01, 2005, 10:38:45 PM »

Welcome back DR Joy!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #209 on: November 01, 2005, 10:39:23 PM »

Jose, maybe you could write a Journal here on HHW like Juliana did when she was in Thoroughly Modern Millie.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up