Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A STRANGE UNDERCURRENT OF WEIRDNESS  (Read 19407 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:A STRANGE UNDERCURRENT OF WEIRDNESS
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2006, 02:01:12 PM »

DR George, the CD arrived today, and many heartfelt thanks for it. The CD cover is beautifully done, too. You're the best!

You're welcome!  Glad you like it! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2006, 02:03:18 PM »

Oh, Vixmom - so sorry. One good thing: that was the only way you were ever going to get rid of the National Geographic Mag's...
PennyO

FJL

« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2006, 02:07:30 PM »

Penny -   Skip and I are working together on two projects, one a computer-based musical thriller currently titled TANGLED WEBS (sort of a Swimfan meets musical theater meets the computer world, and a wonderful lyricist named Ellen Schwartz is writing the lyrics for that one), and the other is a concept musical where we're still fleshing out the concept, but we think it's gonna be fun with a little depth to it, but mostly fun.  

And I'm still working on a project I started at BMI called THE OCTAGON CIRCLE SHOW, about a feminist insurrection against a fictitious university's traditionally all-male Hasty Pudding-like Show when that all-male show gets picked up by commercial producers.  I had stopped working on it for a while, but now it seems that self-referential musicals are very much "in" - so I started working on it in earnest again.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2006, 02:14:48 PM »

I see the Outer Critics Circle nominations are out, and LESTAT didn't fare as well as we would have hoped (Hugh did get nominated). I was surprised Sutton Foster didn't get nominated for THE DROSWEY CHAPARONE though the show did well in the nominations as did THE COLOR PURPLE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2006, 02:15:01 PM »

Sorry to hear about your basement Vixmom...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2006, 02:15:41 PM »

Guess I'll go tend to some house chores and then settle in for a night of TV. Most shows have new episodes now as sweeps month gets closer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2006, 02:16:46 PM »

I hope everyone will stop, once in a while, and smell the flowers:

Lovely picture Ron....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2006, 02:17:20 PM »

Oddly, this morning I received this evidence from a friend in Florida that bird flu has already struck in some parts:

LOL!!  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2006, 02:18:45 PM »

...Don't call me Elmo.
Hmmm...

Elmo Pulliam.

Nah, doesn't sound right, somehow.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2006, 02:21:28 PM »

Interesting title and fitting for tonight so far at the library... Strange goings on....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2006, 02:27:16 PM »

It was strange today at work.  Strange with lots of cranky customers.

The strangest was a woman who had a large cartfull of groceries, but first shoved a container from the "hot bar" (pre-cooked deli items) and insisted "Ring this up first - I'm hungry!"  She then proceeded to shovel her mac and cheese into her mouth right there at the register while her husband unloaded the cart and I rang up her bill.  I've never had a customer do that before!   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2006, 02:27:43 PM »

Time for a nap...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2006, 02:28:19 PM »

It was strange today at work.  Strange with lots of cranky customers.
She then proceeded to shovel her mac and cheese into her mouth right there at the register while her husband unloaded the cart and I rang up her bill.  I've never had a customer do that before!   :P

She might have had a low blood sugar attack....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2006, 02:29:16 PM »

Hmmm...

Elmo Pulliam.

Nah, doesn't sound right, somehow.

I know...."Lincoln" is probably the best last name for anyone named "Elmo".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »

I've spent the last four hours trying to save my Dell - doesn't look good.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2006, 03:06:11 PM »

I know...."Lincoln" is probably the best last name for anyone named "Elmo".

Didn't our DR MBarnum interview or date him?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2006, 03:06:44 PM »

I've spent the last four hours trying to save my Dell - doesn't look good.

Dude, I thought you were getting a Mac!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2006, 03:12:13 PM »

Just saw that Alida Valli died.

When a zither starts to play
You'll remember yesterday
In its haunting strains, Vienna lives again
Free and bright and gay

In your mind a sudden gleam
Of a half-forgotten dream
Starts to flicker when you hear the Third Man Theme...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2006, 03:26:34 PM »

Just saw that Alida Valli died.

When a zither starts to play
You'll remember yesterday
In its haunting strains, Vienna lives again
Free and bright and gay

In your mind a sudden gleam
Of a half-forgotten dream
Starts to flicker when you hear the Third Man Theme...

Q: Whither zither?

A: Whither?  Thither!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2006, 03:54:49 PM »

Bruce:

Do you smell any Friedhofer and Waxman on the immediate horizon?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 03:55:05 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2006, 04:32:47 PM »

Yes, to the Friedhofer - can't remember what, though.

elmore: I've had a mac for over a year.  The Dell was jus a backup and it had some stuff on it that I hadn't brought over to the mac - I used it occasionally while lying in bed.  It's no big deal.

Danise

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2006, 04:38:30 PM »

Evening all!  

My heart goes out to you, Vixmom as I know the pain of losing one’s treasures to the dreaded water.  I lost tons of old photos when I stupidly put them into a basket that I always meant to scan onto the computer.  

The water heater burst and had the whole room in a flood which included my precious memories.  Sigh.  

DR Tomovoz, Please give my best to dear OzDerick’s sister.  

I  think that you are safe from that huge storm but I still send vibes your way to remain so.  

I didn’t know about TCB’s pending surgery. Be well and come through yours as good as I came thorough mine!

Congrats to BK, Skip and FJL!   Keep up the great work!

I may have done something silly as I know there is a very small chance I can make it to NY this fall but I couldn’t help myself.  I was playing around on some of the travel sites and saw that some hotels are already completely booked up for the time when Jane, Ginny and Cillaliz are going to be in town.  Sooooo I went to the Comfort Inn web site and made a reservation.  I just thought that if things do work out I will have a room.  If not, I’ll cancel the week before and no harm done.

I bought one of my favorite British comedy series called “Chef!” from DeepDiscountDVD.  When I get time, I’m going to really enjoy watching it.

How are the gas prices your way?  The most expensive I’ve seen so far is $3.15 for premium.  Thank goodness I have the bus and that we live so close to the grocery store, bank, post office and drug store.  

I’ve heard that some people are hocking their jewelry and other valuables just to make ends meet to be able to drive to work!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2006, 04:41:30 PM »

Surgery Report, Part 1

Queasy Alert:  If not a CSI / NCIS viewer (or an ambulance chaser) the following may contain too much information!

Last Thursday, I saw the orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Wyman.  After taking x-rays and doing and exam on my hip we sat down together and discussed the situation.  The hip definitely needs to be replaced and the sooner the better.  Rather than replacing the entire artificial hip, the doctor believes that it is possible to replace the lower ball joint portion, and maintain the current cup, and just replace the worn-out plastic liner.  If that proves not to be true, and the cup needs to be removed, it will require them to "chisel out" the cup from the attached bone.

Either way they end up going, Dr. Wyman feels the surgery is more serious and involves more complications than an initial hip replacement.  Since the plastic liner in the cup has, over time, been worn away by movement; small pieces of debris have filtered down around the artificial hip causing the loss of some muscle around it, as well as loss of bone density.  In addition, the turning movement of the lower ball joint has worn away a great deal of the side of the bone, and will, if left unattended, shatter the femur.  Also, the bone has grown a new piece of bone across the center of the femur, which will need to be drilled through in order to replace the ball joint.  If not done correctly, this could also cause the femur to shatter.

Because of these additional risks and complications, Dr. Wyman believes I should see a different orthopedic surgeon, a Dr. Arthur Ozolin, who is considered the best of his kind around.  Dr. Ozolin has a great deal more experience with these "hip revisions" and knows all of the complications involved.  Although Dr. Wyman said he would be willing to do the surgery if that is what I decide; but he felt that Dr. Ozolin might be a better way to go.

Dr. Wyman did tell me that with this surgery, I can expect a four to six day hospital stay, possibly a week in rehab, and then six to eight weeks of recovery.  Dr. Wyman also said that although Dr. Ozolin might have a different time table, the surgery would probably be scheduled to be done in four to six weeks.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2006, 04:45:48 PM »

Dear TCB.  Yikes!   Your surgery is much more complicated then mine was.  

I don't know what to say except that I send you every good wish that all will go well.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2006, 04:46:09 PM »

Congrats to FJL, Skip and BK on the review

Cillaliz

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2006, 04:46:47 PM »

TCB - sounds like you're being referred to the best. Hope that is the case and all goes well

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2006, 04:47:16 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  it's bad enough that I wasted four hours of my day dealing with stupid stuff, but then to come here and see almost no postings, well, I do believe I will be getting out the bitch-slap machine.

Cillaliz

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2006, 04:47:27 PM »

Vixmom - Dry basement vibes....been there...(my basement not yours) it stinks to have all that water

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2006, 04:49:02 PM »

DR Danise, glad you made the reservation.  It's a good way to keep your options open....you never know....and so far I haven't seen anything cheaper for that time period.

I'm toying with going to NYC for my birthday this year. Sort of a happy birthday to me.   I'll be half way to 90 which seems to be a good reason for a trip.  I'm not sure yet....

Cillaliz

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2006, 04:50:15 PM »

There are cheaper hotel rates for my birthday week (July 12th-ish) and I can get a pretty good airfare so maybe...just for a couple nights....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up