Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DAYS OF WANE AND ROSES  (Read 18713 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DAYS OF WANE AND ROSES
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2005, 05:53:55 PM »

Just had a lovely conversation with my pal Dick Lochte, who recently blurbed Rewind.  This is the first time I've spoken with him since he sent me the blurb, and I must say he was really taken with the book and had lots of compliments, which were wonderful to hear.  He really understood the style of the book and really responded to it, and he found the plot really fascinating.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2005, 05:54:11 PM »

You're all looking at my this, aren't you?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2005, 06:00:39 PM »

and that

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2005, 06:25:24 PM »

Bought yourself a fancy pair??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2005, 06:48:28 PM »

I shall now be on my way to the surprise partay - more when I return.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2005, 06:50:13 PM »

DR HISAKA thank you so much for the terrific GODZILLA photos!  I am sure DR MBARNUM will appreciate them as well - when he returns from the Entertainment Capital of the World!

Thank you.
Look forward to having DR MBarnum’s report on the collectors’ show and photos from a small gathering with dear BK and DR POGUE as well. :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2005, 06:53:49 PM »

I just read on Playbill.com that Moby Dick! The Musical Surfaces in First Major U.S. Production July 28 in Florida!  Does Jason know about this??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2005, 06:59:11 PM »

Good evening, fellow Dear Readers.

That's about all I have to say. Anything more would just be a rant.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2005, 07:30:41 PM »

I'm here all alone! That doesn't happen often.  

BB6 - I too and disappointed to see Maggie get HOH.  They need to throw in something new so it won't just be back and forth getting even. It was fun at first, but is already gettin old

François de Paris

« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2005, 07:36:59 PM »

Good evening, fellow Dear Readers.

That's about all I have to say. Anything more would just be a rant.

Don't tell me DR Laura, but I'd bet you like "haïkus"!! ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2005, 07:41:50 PM »

Btw, does anyone know why Japanese animation uses a French term, Animé, to qualify that art?

That would translate into "Agitated" here!! LOL!

LOL, DR François!  THat pretty much sums up my feelings about Anna May.

Welcome back, sir!  :D
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

François de Paris

« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2005, 07:59:19 PM »

LOL, DR François!  THat pretty much sums up my feelings about Anna May.

Welcome back, sir!  :D

Thanks for the greetings!

Give the Ghibli productions another try; they have nothing to do with the cheap Japanese Tv fair.

Howl's Moving Castle is a visual gem, even though I didn't care too much for most of the story!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2005, 08:04:52 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed VERONICA MARS. I don't usually have a lot of patience for teen-oriented shows since I lived through that angst-laden era once and don't usually enjoy it in fictionalized form, but the character is such an atypical teen that I really liked it, and I can see why the critics have been so high on the show. I will certainly continue watching the CBS shows, but doubt I will watch it on its regular network since I would have missed so much of the investigation into her ex- boy friend's sister's murder.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2005, 08:05:35 PM »

"Howl's Moving Castle" has a cinema release here in September. It was shown at the Melbourne film Festival recently. I think this will be the first of such films to reach the public here in mainstream cinemas.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2005, 08:06:26 PM »

I watched the HOH competition on last night's BB6, and cannot stand Maggie and the folks that support her. The other players are much more to my liking, the little bit of them that I've seen.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2005, 08:08:52 PM »

MONK also had a wonderful episode tonight that was certainly bittersweet, an emotion this show almost always handles to perfection. It was great seeing him fit into his little group and sad when he let them down and they deserted them. Sorry that Natalie messed up her chance at a hunky boy friend, too.

At least they still have each other.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2005, 08:12:03 PM »

I'm also in the middle of Sue Grafton's last mystery novel R IS FOR RICHOCHET. Well, it's really a crime drama since no mystery is happening yet, and I'm more than halfway through the book.

Even without the whodunit aspect, I'm enjoying this one the most of any of hers since M IS FOR MALICE.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2005, 08:13:45 PM »

I just read on Playbill.com that Moby Dick! The Musical Surfaces in First Major U.S. Production July 28 in Florida!  Does Jason know about this??

Well... If I may sort of answer this...  Yes, Jason does know about this production...

:-\

...And it also turns out that my friend, Kevin Wallace, is the musical director.  I guess that means he took the gig.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2005, 08:14:10 PM »

Will have to get to THE WOMAN IN RED and BLACK NARCISSUS tomorrow. I finished up the rest of the MTM episodes on Disc 2.

Michael

« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2005, 08:15:43 PM »

Thank you for all the wonderful animee films
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2005, 08:16:13 PM »

One of the high definition movie channels showed the mediocrely reviewed remake of FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX this afternoon, and I recorded it since I didn't see this one in the theater. It's definitely shorter in length than the James Stewart original (this one stars Dennis Quaid), so I will get around to watching it at some point this weekend, too.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2005, 08:16:31 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from another evening of social butterflying...

In fact, I joined the aforementioned DR Jason to celebrate the birthday of one his roommates.  We met at some place off of Union Square.  It was OK.  -The waiter seemed "mad" from the moment we sat down.  Ah, well...

We had a good time, but due to the mix of people and the physical layout of the tables, it was hard to converse with everyone.  However, DR Jason and I did end up with some unexpected entertainment, so to speak.  -I'll just say two words: Life Coach - and leave it at that.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2005, 08:17:08 PM »

And DR Matt and Jane thank you for your guesses on my new avitar. But actually it was a lot more simpilar than that. I found a stock photo from photo program and added my name to it.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2005, 08:18:15 PM »

TOmorrow on (I think) HBO-HD will be the badly reviewed disaster movie THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW. I plan to record it too for later viewing. Since we were just talking about disaster movies the other day, it should be interesting to watch even if it did get awful reviews. If it's THAT bad, I can also turn it off and delete it from the DVR.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2005, 08:19:14 PM »

The simpliest solutions are often the best! Good job on it, BTW, Michael Shayne.

Michael

« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2005, 08:20:25 PM »

I went shopping at Costco tonight and saw Volume 1 & 2 of the Twilight Zone series. They were $50 cheaper than Best Buy. So I got them. Also Season 1 of 3rd Rock From the Sun. Now I know what my DVD will be playing this weekend. Watch the first three episodes of the series. They look wonderful as if they are being broadcast for the first time. There are so many I have heard about but never seen. Looking forward to them all
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2005, 08:20:27 PM »

I didn't get to THE GREEN HORNET episode today, and another one gets recorded tomorrow, too.

Too much to see, too little time.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: July 29, 2005, 08:22:51 PM »

After dinner - and settling the check(!?!?!?!?) - DR Jason and I decided not to join the gang at The Coffee Shop Bar on the corner.  Instead, we took a nice stroll over to the Village where we eventually ended up at Magnolia Bakery.

:)

-And, surprise or surprises, I actually found the place on the first try!  I usually have to backtrack a few times on Bleecker in order to get there.  -That whole "West 4th St." is ever so confusing.  But we found it.  And we found the line.  Which was out the door, out onto the sidewalk and around the corner.

It was my first time going there at night.  I usually go during the day.  It's busy during the day, but not crazy busy - at least the last few times I went there.  However, the staff really keep the line moving, and there's even someone handing out plastic plates and pre-folded bakery boxes for your use.  I'd say we waited in line for 15 minutes tops.  Not bad at all.

I bought two cupcakes - one yellow cake/vanilla icing (yellow with sprinkles), one chocolate cake/vanilla icing (pink with sprinkles) - and a very generous slice of the Red Velvet Cake.

The cupcakes didn't even make it to Christopher Street.  Just sooooo good.  And lots of sugary icing too!  I just had a few bites of the Red Velvet Cake... Very good too!

-I'll let DR Jason describe his selection of treats when he gets home - which should be shortly.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2005, 08:23:16 PM »

I went shopping at Costco tonight and saw Volume 1 & 2 of the Twilight Zone series. They were $50 cheaper than Best Buy. So I got them. Also Season 1 of 3rd Rock From the Sun. Now I know what my DVD will be playing this weekend. Watch the first three episodes of the series. They look wonderful as if they are being broadcast for the first time. There are so many I have heard about but never seen. Looking forward to them all

Those are the two best seasons of TTZ. All the seasons had some memorable episodes, but Seasons 1 and 2 contain the greatest number of masterpiece episodes.

I'm not sure I ever saw a single episode of THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN during all its years on the air.

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: July 29, 2005, 08:24:25 PM »

Michael Shayne, let us know which episodes you like the best. Most people have seen some TZ, and I'm sure this will generate some lively discussion.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up