Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUTH OF THE BORDER  (Read 13845 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: SOUTH OF THE BORDER
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2012, 11:39:09 AM »

Happy Belated Birthday Wishes to Ms. Streisand!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »

Welcome new poster, DR ChasSmith!
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »

Thanks for the birthday wishes DR Cillaliz!  Btw do you and your mom have your favorites yet on DWTS?  I think mine is Mark and Katherine. Although I really like many of the ones that are left.

Do you like the dance off? I think the idea of it isn't bad. But in most cases  it pretty much seals the deal for the worse dancer.

DR Jennifer,
I'm not as into it this time, but am watching because....well because Mom is still into it.  We both like Katherine the best. But there are lots of good dancers.  Mom really doesn't like Maks, so she cheers against him no matter who his partner is, lol.

I think the dance off is good at this point in the season.  It does seal the fate of the worst dancer, but part of this is a dancing contest, so that's not a bad thing

I like Maks. But I"m not that fond of his partner's dancing this time around.

I do think it's a dancing contest. But it basically is saying that Katherine (since she is the best dancer) cannot go home for the 4 weeks of the dance -off. And i don't think that's fair. Yes it is about dancing. But it's never really been about dancing. I wouldn't mind if 2 equals were in a dance off (like jaleel vs the kid). THat would be fair. But the past 2 dance offs have not been fair. I didn't really mind either dancer who went home. But i just don't think that an unknown like Katherine (even though she's my favorite) should be given a pass for so many weeks.  Thankfully she has not been in the bottom though.

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »

Happy Belated Birthday Wishes to DR Jennifer!

Thanks!

Cillaliz

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »

Thanks for the birthday wishes DR Cillaliz!  Btw do you and your mom have your favorites yet on DWTS?  I think mine is Mark and Katherine. Although I really like many of the ones that are left.

Do you like the dance off? I think the idea of it isn't bad. But in most cases  it pretty much seals the deal for the worse dancer.

DR Jennifer,
I'm not as into it this time, but am watching because....well because Mom is still into it.  We both like Katherine the best. But there are lots of good dancers.  Mom really doesn't like Maks, so she cheers against him no matter who his partner is, lol.

I think the dance off is good at this point in the season.  It does seal the fate of the worst dancer, but part of this is a dancing contest, so that's not a bad thing

I do think it's a dancing contest. But it basically is saying that Katherine (since she is the best dancer) cannot go home for the 4 weeks of the dance -off. And i don't think that's fair. Yes it is about dancing. But it's never really been about dancing. I wouldn't mind if 2 equals were in a dance off (like jaleel vs the kid). THat would be fair. But the past 2 dance offs have not been fair. I didn't really mind either dancer who went home. But i just don't think that an unknown like Katherine (even though she's my favorite) should be given a pass for so many weeks.  Thankfully she has not been in the bottom though.

LOL, so since she hasnt' been in the bottom, she hasn't gotten a pass, right?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2012, 11:53:49 AM »

DR JohnG, I meant to extend my sympathies to you over Peggy's death and I didn't. I am so sorry.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Doug R

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »

TOD:

DVD:
"La Cienne" French film remade as "Scarlet Street"
"The Woman in the Window" same stars and director as "Scarlet Street"
"I Hired a Contract Killer" I love Aki Kaurismaki's films.

CD:
Rozsa Conducts Rozsa - Concert works reissue on Classic Haus label.

Blu:
Nothing. I've cut down on Blu because I'm tired of upgrading my DVDs for what is (to me) a more than marginal but less than dramatic improvement - especially when I may not even watch the disc again. Also I don't like seeing all this grain on Blu discs. Yes, I'm a heretic  ;D  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »

I love it when Doctor Phil gets worked up into a self-righteous frenzy: his voice gets so high only dogs and bats can hear it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2012, 12:21:07 PM »

I love it when Doctor Phil gets worked up into a self-righteous frenzy: his voice gets so high only dogs and bats can hear it.

So are you a dog or a bat???  ;D

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »

TOD:

DVD:
"La Cienne" French film remade as "Scarlet Street"
"The Woman in the Window" same stars and director as "Scarlet Street"
"I Hired a Contract Killer" I love Aki Kaurismaki's films.

CD:
Rozsa Conducts Rozsa - Concert works reissue on Classic Haus label.

Blu:
Nothing. I've cut down on Blu because I'm tired of upgrading my DVDs for what is (to me) a more than marginal but less than dramatic improvement - especially when I may not even watch the disc again. Also I don't like seeing all this grain on Blu discs. Yes, I'm a heretic  ;D  

I love Joan Bennett (I came to know her through "Dark Shadows") and both of those are wonderful movies.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »

Good to see you back, TCB. We want a progress report. Hope all is going well.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »

DR JohnG, I meant to extend my sympathies to you over Peggy's death and I didn't. I am so sorry.
Thanks, Elmore.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »

By the way, Elmore, I sent off my check earlier this week for my McGlinnventory artifacts. Can't wait to get them in the mail.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »

Okay, so, the Mahler 6th.

With George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra – the very mention of which acts as a sort of trigger, making me … post things.

When I was a wee one and had just been trundled off to the Cleveland Institute of Music in the fall of 1967 (wait -- don't get excited, I took great care not to make anything of myself), I'd just been introduced that summer to Bernstein's recording of the Second, my first Mahler ever.  Like all impressionable youth at that moment in history, I was swept away in the Lenny-inspired Mahler explosion.  When we saw that Szell was conducting the Sixth, a group of us walked from the CWRU dorms down to Severance Hall on a beautiful October evening, having no idea what lay in store at our first Cleveland Orchestra concert.

It was, to be precise, one of my three or four musical epiphanies to date.  There was nothing like the Sixth.  Not in Mahler, not anywhere else.  I was blinded by it – the intensity, the darkness, the tinkling cowbells over magical chord progressions played on the celesta, the hammer strokes, yadda yadda, sorry, I’ll stop.  But I liken that concert to my first viewing of "West Side Story" a few years prior -- a musical life altering event, no more and no less.  To this day, I live and breathe these two pieces like no other.

I returned to the Sunday afternoon concert to find it was not a dream, that I was really hearing and seeing this magnificent piece performed in this perfect place.  I was likewise glued when the concert was broadcast on the local classical FM station, but sadly, had no (reel-to-reel) recorder with which to capture it.

The celesta (keyboard) part was of particular interest, because I was a piano major who was already finding I loved orchestral and theatrical music far more than piano literature.  I had yet to meet him, but I watched it being played in those concerts by then-assistant conductor James Levine, and I resolved at that moment to play keyboard parts in his school orchestra if at all possible.  Long story short, it was, and a couple of years later, he scheduled the Mahler 6th, and yrs truly was handed the celesta part.

(It is of course folly to maintain this after all of these years, but I believe that this here private pressing LP of Levine’s live performance still represents the epitome of how this piece should be played, and its impact in a live concert acoustic.)

Szell died, having never recorded the Sixth.  But wait!  Though I was buying tons of records in those days, the fact that Columbia had subsequently issued that 1967 concert on LP somehow escaped my notice for a few years.  But then, what a gift – to be able to re-hear that actual performance.  The 1970s of course were no golden age when it came to mainstream vinyl pressings, and I’m sure BK’s import CD blows it properly away.

There.  There now.  The End.  We can all breathe a sigh of relief.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:45:22 PM by ChasSmith »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:34 PM »

John G-So Sorry About Your Friend
Thank you, and thank you, all. I am having trouble concentrating this afternoon, as you can guess.

Yes. :(

John G.

« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »

"Moose Murders" and "Henry, Sweet Henry" being revived in the same season?!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/165402-Famous-Flop-Moose-Murders-Will-Be-Revived-in-NYC
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2012, 12:51:45 PM »

Loved the notes on the Sixth, ChasSmith.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »

DR TCB I received a booklet from Seabourn today.  Are you familiar with this cruise line?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2012, 01:09:19 PM »

So are you a dog or a bat???  ;D

I can't hear a word he's shrieking. :-*

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »

Sad news to report. My friend Peggy died last night. She was not in pain, from what I understand, and she knew that her family was with her.

I remember BK's rant a while back about cancer and just have to second that anger and that complete incomprehension at the randomness and illogical and ugliness of it all.

Prayers and vibes to Peggy and her friends and family!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2012, 01:20:20 PM »

DR TCB I received a booklet from Seabourn today.  Are you familiar with this cruise line?

They are a bit out of my league.  I would sail with Oceania again.  And some day Cunard.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »

Back from a tumultuous morning.  The person with whom I was going to the estate sale got here thirty minutes late, therefore we didn't get to the estate sale until twenty minutes after it had begun.  Apparently, the vultures and scavengers, all dealers, had been lined up since eight-thirty.  Someone got in right away and had already taken every theatre poster off the walls.  When we arrived the rooms were jammed and it was, frankly, nauseating, these dealer vultures picking through this wonderful man's stuff and being completely rude about it.  I would NEVER allow this to happen with my stuff.  I have explicit instructions about what is to be done with everything that I own.  The prices were certainly VERY reasonable on everything, hence the vultures who will now mark a lot of this stuff up 1000 percent.  He had some beautiful china with birds on it - some famous and desirable brand that starts with an "H" - henning or hernsomething - each piece was $55 so that must be a VERY desirable brand.  But antique tables and doodads were very inexpensive.  I bought some Playbills ( he had a lot of LA stuff), would have bought some theatre posters had one single one been left, and the books, which were not much to my taste, had already been vultured.  Thus far, no one had bought for three dollars (the price of most of the books) his personally and lovingly inscribed copy of There's Mel.  I also got a beautiful sculpture or whatever you call it - not sure what it's made out of - a Japanese warrior on horseback - a beautiful piece for ninety bucks.  I really like that kind of Japanese thing.

It took thirty minutes to pay - very disorganized and I actually got really annoyed and vocal with one VERY rude woman - my friend had been told she had to pay for her thing, then come back and get it and not wait in line again in that particular room.  She did so, but this entitled bitch was getting a receipt and refused to let the lady give my friend her item, saying loudly, "They have a system - you have to wait."  I stood there for a minute, then said, "Let me tell you what you can do with your system - she was told she could pay and get her item and if you want me to step over there and make sure she does, say the word."  Another lady who was working the sale saw what was going on, came over and got my friend her item and apologized.  I really wanted to deck the bitch who was already being loud and obnoxious about the items she was buying - clearly a dealer.

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »

DR Jennifer,

LOL, so since she hasnt' been in the bottom, she hasn't gotten a pass, right?

It's interesting with her because she was not well known in the US before doing the show. But she does have a sparkling personality. However, no matter how nice you might be, if you are not well known you don't usually have a chance.  She is lucky she is with Mark, who is fairly popular.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »

Then we went to nearby Fred's 62 diner and had lunch.  There I found out that we were going to have to cancel the recording of the show - someone had stupidly mentioned it to the contractor for the musicians, and that was that.  Obviously they've been recording without issue prior to this and had we just done it it would have been fine - but it suddenly became a deal and I was already annoyed on so many levels about how much work it was to get everything to the theatre, that I was actually glad it happened.  The only thing that had been paid for was the insurance - a couple of hundred bucks - and I've told them were canceling and asked if they'd please refund since we're not renting anything, and I'm hoping they will.  If not, I'm out that dough.

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »

Wow that sounds like a crazy estate sale! I don't like people all on top of each other. So i probably would have hated it. But sounds like there was some neat stuff.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2012, 01:28:12 PM »

They are a bit out of my league.  I would sail with Oceania again.  And some day Cunard.

Is Seabourn out of your league because of expense alone?  If you had all the money in the world would you go on Seabourn?  I'm just curious because I'm not familiar with them.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2012, 01:30:01 PM »

Is Seabourn out of your league because of expense alone?  If you had all the money in the world would you go on Seabourn?  I'm just curious because I'm not familiar with them.

They wouldn't be my first choice, no matter how much money I had.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2012, 01:32:35 PM »

Wow that sounds like a crazy estate sale! I don't like people all on top of each other. So i probably would have hated it. But sounds like there was some neat stuff.

My friend & I used to go to estate sales in Michigan.  Many were packed like that with a long line before they opened, however, they were well organized.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »

They wouldn't be my first choice, no matter how much money I had.

Thanks. 

John G.

« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2012, 02:03:29 PM »

The estate sale sounds horrendous.  Like the scene in "Zorba."
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up