Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: OLD MAN RIVER  (Read 18046 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:OLD MAN RIVER
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2005, 08:43:56 PM »

MBarnum he played Dr. Grant Linowitz.  Unfortunately IMDB doesn’t include a photo of Beau.

I also liked the show and don’t remember him without a picture.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2005, 08:45:29 PM »

I remember Doctor, Doctor. Loved that show. But I don't recall Beau.

Beau played Grant, the doctor who thought he was a hot stud and was therefore the butt of a lot of jokes.  I just saw him recently on LAW AND ORDER SVU, something about a lady who thought Beau's daughter was her child.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »

MBarnum he played Dr. Grant Linowitz.  Unfortunately IMDB doesn’t include a photo of Beau.

I also liked the show and don’t remember him without a picture.

Well, I found this from a production of LADY IN THE DARK he did.  I don't think he played the title role.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2005, 08:54:07 PM »

Cute photo but I think it has been too long since I've seen the show.

Now the guy has to change some wires under our house.  I'm sure he wants to go home even more than we want him to leave.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2005, 08:54:51 PM »

The photo is from the Philadelphia production of LADY IN THE DARK with Andrea Marcovicci.  Beau played Charley Johnson.

Jane

« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2005, 08:55:45 PM »

I think I will go read for awhile and hope I don't fall asleep.

Jane

« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2005, 08:56:44 PM »

Bye elmore.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2005, 08:57:27 PM »

Bye, Nurse Jane!

Jane

« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2005, 09:05:21 PM »

:D

François de Paris

« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2005, 09:36:55 PM »

From an Australian site:

Two of my favourite people: on from Oz and one from UK!

Anthony Warlow and Lesley Garrett

Reviewer John Slavin
April 25, 2005.

Hamer Hall
April 22

In one of his more recent excursions, as the Lord High Executioner in The Mikado for Opera Australia, Anthony Warlow injected into the role a cocktail comprising every British comedian from Frankie Howerd to Ronnie Barker. Something of that versatility is at work in this delightful musical soiree.

Warlow's program is dotted with some cunningly knowing pastiches. Singing Just in Time, not only does his elegant phrasing remind one of Sinatra but his rhythms make the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra - conducted by Philip Ellis - sound like the backing of Nelson Riddle. Nobody's Baby is as smooth and as sexy as Perry Como's crooning.

If there is a tendency to indulge in what I call the Broadway bellow (miked) in numbers such as Gethsemane from Jesus Christ Superstar or This is the Moment from Bricusse's Jekyll and Hyde, Warlow is capable of vocal subtleties, which he demonstrates in La Ci Darem la Mano from Don Giovanni. His co-star Lesley Garrett has a nice turn here in bug-eyed, not-quite-innocent innocence.

Each time she joins him on stage she gives Warlow sexual charisma and lightens his intensity the way Rogers did Astaire. Their lyrical treatment of Phantom of the Opera's Music of the Night is a showstopper. Garrett is a generous performer. She announces at the beginning of the recital that she's the warm-up whereas Warlow is the national treasure.

Her reach of style, however, is impressive. She makes HenryMancini's Moon River sound like an unfamiliar opera, then sings O Mio Babbino Caro from Puccini's Gianni Schicchi and miraculously transforms it into an intimate confession. She has faultless legato and a beautiful, broad-ranging tessitura that might be the envy of many a prima donna. Witty and playful, she possesses the sweetness of Julie Andrews and the vocal reach of Kiri Te Kanawa.

The audience loved it all and at the end gave the pair a standing ovation. Who says good singing can't fill a hall?

This was one enchanted evening of atmospheric music-making.

François de Paris

« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »

More?

Ok! Since everyone's asking for it:

Warlow steals the show
Matthew Westwood, The Australian,April 15, 2005

Lesley Garrett and Anthony Warlow
Concert Hall, Sydney Opera House, April 13

A LITTLE bit of glamour and flirtation goes a long way on stage, and Lesley Garrett and Anthony Warlow look great together. The Yorkshire lass and Wollongong boy have a terrific rapport with each other and their audience.

Their duet from Don Giovanni, La ci darem la mano, was a hot little number, with Warlow the suave Don and Garrett his slightly-too-eager Zerlina. In a program that encompassed two centuries of musical theatre, this Mozart was closer to Broadway than Vienna. The Concert Hall was in entertainment mode for the evening: the singers as well as the Sydney Symphony were amplified.

Garrett, a celebrity in Britain with her own radio and television shows, has an appealing soprano with the versatility for opera and music theatre. Her voice has warmth, personality and, when required, great power -- as she showed in her encore, the spiritual On Holy Ground. There was an unevenness of tone at the extremes of her voice, in the upper register and in her pianissimo effects.

Warlow stole the show with his first number, This is the Moment, from the Frank Wildhorn and Leslie Bricusse musical Jekyll and Hyde. Such is Warlow's dramatic and musical range that each of his solo numbers was delivered as a kind of mini-musical, complete and satisfying in itself.

His Soliloquy from Carousel and Gethsemane from Jesus Christ Superstar were compelling from beginning to end. Even with music as bereft of ideas as Music of the Night from The Phantom of the Opera, Warlow conjured character and spookiness. He confirmed again why he is regarded as one of the world's leading exponents of the Phantom.

Ben

« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2005, 09:45:43 PM »

I have returned from a wonderful birthday celebration for a dear friend. I'm rarely up this late but they just left. We ate at a place called Philipe Marie in the Village. A most excellent find. The service was excellent, the wait staff and greeter were kind and friendly without being too much. The food was wonderful. I had a grilled salmon, one friend had Oak Plank salmon, which was served on an oak plank. Both the salmons came with grilled vegetables. Another friend had lamb shank and the Birthday Boy had medallions of boar, yes, boar. We also had 4 appetizers, coconut breaded shrimp w/pinapple and cabbage, steamed artichoke with dipping sauce, fried green tomatoes with mildly spicy mayonaisse (sp) and a walnut, lettuce and berry salad in a mild vinegarette. We didn't have dessert there, since we were planning on a trip to Magnolia, just a block away, though Philip Marie does have nice looking desserts. The next I go I will leave room for dessert. Magnolia was far too busy. The line was out the door and around the block with about a 20 minute wait. Too late for 10pm so we sauntered up Hudson to a rather new place called Mary's Off Jane. Great late 50s/early 60s decor and wonderful desserts. I had a berry crumble/crisp, two had Ice Box Cake and the Birthday Boy had a lime cake with cream frosting. We took it all to go and walked back here to the apartment where we had tea and dessert. Umm, umm, umm. I will return to Mary's Off Jane. Don't know how the food tour will work out in October, but it's a place to keep in mind.

And now, since it's 12:48 EST, I shall mosey from the desk chair to the bed. I will speak to Anthony tomorrow and find out how the opening night of the show went. I'm sure it was fine since the two previews went over very well.

And that, my friends, is that.

François de Paris

« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2005, 09:58:41 PM »

"vine garette" like Lesley?

Cute!

François de Paris

« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2005, 10:01:18 PM »

"I will speak to Anthony tomorrow"

Warlow? Wow!

Jane

« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2005, 10:05:44 PM »

Ben is Mary's Off Jane near Tavern on Jane?  Your evening sounds delightful.

I'm still waiting for the Direcway guy to leave and for our TV connection to be restored.  I hope we didn't haven TiVo set to program anything tonight.

I want to go to bed!  It must be worse for the guy who is kind enough to continue working.

Jane

« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2005, 11:01:36 PM »

No one here for me to complain to.  I really want to go to sleep-getting closer to my goal.  One TV receiving, one to go.  

My mistake.  I thought we are going through this hassle for a better internet connection.  Nope, we are doing it for high definition on the TV’s.  LOL at the moment I don’t give a …. about high definition, only sleep.

How did I discover my error you ask, our internet connection was out again.  

Jane

« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2005, 11:05:23 PM »

He left!

Still waiting for the second TV to work.  To add to our fun, our new phone keeps flashing an extension is in use and it isn't.  We often have this problem but this time I think TiVo is using it.

Off to get ready for bed. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2005, 11:23:14 PM »

Good Evening!

Wow! Jane - You were up later than usual tonight.  Hope you get some rest this weekend.  And the painting done too.  -If that's the plan.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2005, 11:32:15 PM »

I'm back from my evening of debauchery.... NOT!

At no time during the evening did a drop of alcohol cross my lips.  However, some ice cream did, so...

:)

I picked my friend, Andy, up at work, and we headed over to Tysons Corner so that he could exchange his new cell phone that he had bought earlier in the week.  And he also wanted to get his hair cut.  Well, he wasn't able to exchange his cell phone since he didn't have the proper credit card on him - the one he bought it with, but he was able to get his hair cut.  Whilst getting his hair cut, I headed over to Williams-Sonoma to do some browsing.  They were introducing some of there summer product lines - grill tools, etc. - and they also had a new batch of gourmet olive oils too.  So, of course, I sampled some of those.  Some truly wonderful varieties - each very distinctive and flavorful.  Then when I headed back to the Hair Cuttery, Andy was still getting his hair cut, so I headed next door to the small Italian place that happens to have and outside ice cream counter.  So, I got a small cup of spumoni - and they make it in-house there too!  Very good.  And by the time I was finished with my ice cream, Andy was done getting his hairs cut.  -And he happened to get a very good cut this time round too from a very nice stylist.

Then we proceeded to wander around the mall for a while.  I bought some t-shirts and polos at Foot Locker - basically "disposable" clothing - 3 for $20, 5 for $20.  Andy ended up over at the New Balance store where he gave the clerk a pretty workout going back and forth from the stock room.  We even talked about just walking out of there without him buying anything.  -I lost track after pair number 6 came out. ;)  But he did end up buying a pair - some really nice cross-trainers - and then we headed on down to DC to get dinner.

-Exciting, huh?

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2005, 11:50:21 PM »

I suggested we go to Matchbox.  He had never been there, and I haven't been there since they introduced the new menu.  When we got there, the hostess said there was about a 45 minute.  We put our name on the list, then walked around Chinatown for a bit, before heading back to the restaurant about 15 minutes later.  We were then seated about 5 minutes after that.  :)

*Apparently, there were a lot of people headed to the 8:00 movies around the corner, so the tables were turning over faster than usual.  -I'll have to keep that in mind for next time.

We were seated up on the third level - a place I've never been.  It used to be the smoking section - which is why I never sat up there - but, apparently, the whole restaurant has gone non-smoking except for at the bar.  -However, now that I think of it, I don't even recall cigarette smoke at the bar.  Hmm....  *I have nothing against cigarette smokers, but I do find it annoying to eat a meal with a hint of cigarette smoke interfering with the tastes the chefs and cooks have concocted in the kitchen.  -And I've also noticed that chefs and cooks who smoke themselves have a tendency to over season - especially over salt - their dishes.  -But that's something for egullet.com...

For dinner, Andy and I split an order of Mozzi Carrozzi - which is basically their rendition of spiedini - bread, cheese, basil and tomatoes fried up real good!  And then we split a pizza - literally.  We got a large - 1/2 Chicken Pesto, 1/2 Pepperoni.  A very good dinner.

And we ended up having some unintentional entertainment courtesy of the people sitting on either side of us.  The young man and young woman to my right, Andy's left, were discussing almost everything under the sun - religion, politics, education systems, politics, finance, politics.  It truly was interesting in a "what kind of dinner conversation is this?" way.  It never got heated, but each of them seemed to have very specific views.  Andy really seemed to get a kick out of the young gentleman's platitudes.  "Congress??  That's not politics.  They're totally different things." was one of the memorable quote of the evening.

On the either side of us was a couple of "bears".  Two big, brawny bearded men.  They were discussing their upcoming trip to Europe, and whether or not they should take a cruise on the Danube, or opt for an all-inclusive deal in Italy.  However, the big point of discussion of the evening was the selection of the appetizer.  "Do you really want to get the mini-burgers again?"  So... after ordering the Meatball and Pepperoni Roll for their appetizer...  "Ohhh... They got the mini-burgers.  -Look, they got an order of six of them.  -Wow, that's a big plate of mini-burgers...."  -Needless to say, Andy and I were glad we did not order the mini-burgers - we almost did - for we surely would have had an admirer sitting at the table next to us.

However, in the one gentleman's defense, they would have got their appetizer faster if they had ordered the mini-burgers, since they don't have to be queued up for the wood-burning oven below with the pizza orders.  But their Meatball and Pepperoni Roll was coming up the stairs as we were leaving.  "They're waiting for it!"
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up