Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SCARY NOTES  (Read 12712 times)

Ginny

Re: SCARY NOTES
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR FJL!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2010, 12:42:12 PM »

Oh, look, I brought page 4 from Lima!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2010, 12:43:43 PM »

Thanks to all who provided health vibes.  My leg felt much better when I woke up this morning, but I'm still going to call the doctor's office tomorrow to confirm the dosage adjustment that Rob wrote down and to get more details on my test results - he didn't know to ask my INR number.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »

Thanks Tom.  With luck, I shall be there. 

Will you be bringing my son with you?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2010, 01:02:10 PM »

I reviewed OUT OF AFRICA for Blu-ray.com, Vixmom.  Matt--the BD is a flipper, so the DVD version is on the "B-side."  I am interested to hear if anyone else experiences the "grinding" noise when the BD side loads.  It was really quite loud on the two PS3's I tried it on.

I will say, as I mentioned in my review, I have found *all* home video transfers of OUT OF AFRICA to be pretty ugly looking.  The BD just ups the ante.  ;)

I will be playing it on my Samsung BD-1500, and I'll be sure to give a full report tonight after I have watched it and come back upstairs for my evening surf. I certainly do plan to look at the SD side as well to compare how they look, and I'll likely take the SD Collector's Edition off the shelf to see what that looks like, too. This is going to be an OUT OF AFRICA evening. I suspect I won't get but maybe one of those shows off the DVR watched tonight after I finish with OUT OF AFRICA.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:08:49 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »

When I went down, I began my viewing with last Thursday's episode of CSI which I watched from HD Showcase On Demand. I couldn't record it because I already had two shows recording that I like more than CSI now (SUPERNATURAL and THE OFFICE), but thank goodness for this free On Demand service since many of CBS' shows turn up there a day or two after they air on the network.

I wanted to watch because Gerald McCullough and Larry Sullivan were going to make appearances, and since I like both actors very much, I wanted to check the show out. They each had one scene, sad to say. They're both deserving of more screen time. The show has REALLY slid into a banal gutter in the two years since William Petersen left. There is NO sense of fun or wit with the show any more. They go through their motions and it's all pretty dull. The show had two mysteries this week, and one was VERy easy to solve. The other didn't provide enough clues to enable the audience to play along. Tim Conway was the head guest star.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2010, 01:08:16 PM »

I arrived home all sweaty from carrying a huge shoping bag of orchestra scores back from the office, so I took another bath. I talked to Chris earlier, and we are not seeing a movie; I'm going to meet him at 6:30 for dinner on Tenth Avenue and I'll be home early. Tomorrow morning I've got to be up early for a haircut, then a doctor's appointment for my test results, and a trip to Toyland to wait for a UPS package to be delivered. Tomorrow night's the 50th anniversary performance of THE FANTASTICKS, so I have a long day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2010, 01:10:42 PM »

While I ate lunch, I watched the rerun of THE MENTALIST that was shown last night. Very entertaining, and I had actually forgotten who the murderer was and was fooled by it. The flashbacks to Patrick's unhappy childhood as a carnival mentalist were heartbreaking and the best part of the show, but it was all good - one of this season's best so far.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2010, 01:14:11 PM »

Then I watched the last of the Oshima films in my Criterion review set: THREE RESURRECTED DRUNKARDS. I'm not quite sure why they're called "drunkards" since they're not drunk, they're just nitwits. An interesting surreal comedy if only it were funnier! After forty minutes, the movie starts over again and for a while seems the same, but then the characters begin doing things slightly differently remarking that they're changing from what they did before, making them self-aware they're in a movie, kind of like Hope and Crosby used to do in the ROAD movies. It all ends up kind of pointless and a waste of time, but it did inspire a few chuckles and was distinctly better than the last two movies in the set I watched before this one.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2010, 01:15:28 PM »

Then I spent the rest of the afternoon finishing the two BONES episodes left in the season four set. In the first, Booth keeps seeing the animated Stewie character from THE FAMILY GUY who's giving him advice. The mystery is OK, but the ending sequences are VERy, very moving and show that deep well of love and tenderness that exists between Tempe and Booth.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »

And then we get the season finale dream episode which, while not the greatest mystery, does feature all of the regular characters who had appeared this season including returns for Eric Millegen and Brendan Fehr as well as almost all of the interns who had appeared last season (and continue to appear this season).

Jennifer

« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2010, 01:26:41 PM »

Good morning!

Even warmer this morning, and my walk was not all that pleasant because of it. I'm wondering how I'm going to deal with the heat and humidity of Southern summers in terms of my walking. I may have to take to the treadmill more this summer as I don't like feeling drained at the end of a walk. I like the feeling of exhilaration but not sweaty exhaustion.

What time do you walk at?  Is there some point during the day (there usually is) when the weather is not as hot?

I can't wait for it to get warmer. I am tired of biking with layers on. Although today was warm and really nice to bike.

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »

Yeah new TAR tonight!

DISCUSSION OF THE REMAINING TEAMS ON THE AMAZING RACE.

I'm curious who people here are rooting for.

I have a feeling that the time i am finding myself cheering for will not be a favorite here.

We have the 1)detectives, 2) dating couple/pageant girl, 3)brothers 4)cowboys.

I find the detectives amusing. I sort of like them but i don't find them to be particularly strong.  I think the brothers are funny but not particularly good at the race. I think the cowboys are funny and the most athletic. And they are sweet. But not that bright (although they were impressive last week). But the team i find myself cheering for includes the sometimes obnoxious former miss america (or whatever pageant she was on). I have disliked them in the past. And when they fight they get on my last nerve. But the past few weeks they have worked together well. And i find them to be the most well-rounded team!

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »

Good morning!

Even warmer this morning, and my walk was not all that pleasant because of it. I'm wondering how I'm going to deal with the heat and humidity of Southern summers in terms of my walking. I may have to take to the treadmill more this summer as I don't like feeling drained at the end of a walk. I like the feeling of exhilaration but not sweaty exhaustion.

What time do you walk at?  Is there some point during the day (there usually is) when the weather is not as hot?

I can't wait for it to get warmer. I am tired of biking with layers on. Although today was warm and really nice to bike.

7 a.m. It was 60 here this morning at 7 a.m. Once summer gets here full time, it'll be in the mid 70s at 7 a.m. That may not sound all that warm to you, but believe me, add in the Southern humidity that comes with heat, and it's unbearable, at least for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »

Now I'm going to hop off-line and get some writing done so I can be done and done with this Oshima box. Glad to be leaving it behind and going on to something else tomorrow and this week.

WBBL.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2010, 01:36:48 PM »

The news about the bomb scare is really alarming. The only good things is that the perpetrators of yesterday's event were so inept it was discovered in time. I can only hope that all further terrorist activities, and I fear there will be, are performed by people of the same ineptitude.

I just heard on CBS News  that police in New York have decided that it wasn't a bomb.  As it turns out, friends were trying to light the candles on a friend's birthday cake; and the heat from the candles set off all of the sensors in and around Times Square.

;D

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS TO DEAR FRED!!!! MaY THE MEMORIES OF THIS BITHDAY KEEP YOU SMILING FOR THE NEXT 50 YEARS!!!!!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2010, 01:40:26 PM »

I am busy doing yard work - gotta weed while teh sun shine shines!! LATERS
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2010, 01:51:05 PM »

Putting postage on packages now - had some lunch at Casa Vega - hadn't been there in a year, I think.  It was most excellently excellent.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »

Almost through.  Where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was a Sunday or something.

Laura

« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »

I am still recovering from Youth Sunday.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »

We're through, packages are addressed, postage is on them.  On Tuesday we still have to put the books into the padded envelopes, which then go into the priority envelope, so that will take a little time - I'll be signing all of them tomorrow.

Ginny

« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »

Whew!  I've just done a little rearranging project here in my "haven."  It's cool here in SW Ohio today, but moving furniture makes you realize just how humid it is!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »

Ginny, I'm pleased you are feeling better.

Do you know what the cable was your son connected from the laptop to the tv?  Did you watch in Hi Def?

Jane

« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2010, 03:45:49 PM »

DR Ginny I have a very important question for you ;)  I need to begin reading a new book.  Of the three very large books I have which shall I read first, "Father Melancholy's Daughter", Nemesis, or "A Mother and Two Daughters"?

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2010, 03:51:58 PM »

DR Jane - read Nemesis.  That will give me some time to finish up a couple of things and then read the first 50 pages of M&2D!

Jane

« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »

OK Thanks.  After Nemesis I will have to squeeze in a short book for my group discussion on the 11th, The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday.  I'm not really looking forward to this one as I'm not a fan of McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective series.  I expect it will be a quick read & I might be pleasantly surprised since the subject is of interest to me.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »

DR Vixter I very much enjoyed the video of your choir singing at Carnegie Hall. :D :D

td

• td
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2010, 04:12:54 PM »

I'm not a fan of McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective series. 

I am shocked!  Shocked I say!  What it that doesn't make you a fan?  This is another series of books which I recommend constantly!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »

I'm not a fan of McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective series. 

I am shocked!  Shocked I say!  What it that doesn't make you a fan?  This is another series of books which I recommend constantly!

LOL!  The #1... series is one of the things that's occupying my reading time right now.  The 2010 featured country for Middfest is Botswana and they have a reading challenge for which I'm supposed to moderate the discussions on the Facebook page.  So far not much activity, but I'm hoping it will pick up.  I've committed to reading the whole series and I'm only halfway through the second book.  My strategy is to have one of those going along with something else.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »

Unfortunately no usable recording of today's ChoirFest due to a couple of tenors who evidently decided the notated music was only a suggestion.  :(
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up