Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: ARTHUR MURRAY TAUGHT ME DANCING IN A HURRY  (Read 28298 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ARTHUR MURRAY TAUGHT ME DANCING IN A HURRY
« on: August 18, 2005, 12:10:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've danced in a hurry (thanks to Arthur Murray), and now it is time for you to post until the dancing cows come home.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 12:20:16 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ARTHUR MURRAY TAUGHT ME DANCING IN A HURRY
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 12:11:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: DENTIFRICE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 01:56:31 AM »

I just watched the new Babs promo video. You know it's Barry Gibb from the first few seconds!! Babs still wants to be a pop star.  If you like "Guilty" you'll like this one too. At least it's not David Foster!!
Of course I've pre-ordered it!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 03:37:21 AM »

DR RON; Very sorry to hear about Miss Vickie. I know how much you will miss Miss Vickie. Hope your memories of Miss Vickie will comfort you. What a lovely photo of Vickie and Dickens! Thank you for sharing.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 03:42:53 AM »

Der Brucer; Your chopsticks look like my hairpins.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 04:03:22 AM »

Good morning DR Ben.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 04:05:31 AM »

I watched Swimming Pool last night and I realized I’m still a fan of Charlotte Rampling. She was elegant as usual and good at performing  a role who lives stoically and rationally and obsessively in the film.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 04:08:53 AM »

Good morning, DR BEN and Good evening, DR TOMOVOZ!

I'm off to dinner.  Soooooo hungry.

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 04:09:48 AM »

Good night  DR Hisaka
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 04:10:30 AM »

Hello Gents.  Have a great day.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 04:11:54 AM »

Good Morning to my A.M. friends, although it's not A.M. where some of you reside (what a convoluted sentence).

Jose said:

...And I'm due back in at Penn Station at 2:25 Sunday afternoon.  I at least want to see balloons when I get up to the Concourse Level.  ;D

Sorry, no can do, even though we close to your arrival point. We will be on a plane coming back from the Detroit Airport as you arrive in Penn Station. Next time!

So much to think about regarding dances. I will have to answer later.

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 04:16:54 AM »

We've just been watching the PBS "Broadway - the American Musical".  I did not know of the 1999 film "The Cradle will Rock". Any comments out there? Should I check it out?
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 04:29:04 AM »

I'm trying to imagine an episode of The Muppet Show with both Valerie Harper and Ethyl Merman guesting, together.

If any group could pull off such a pairing, the Muppets could, but my mind is still boggleing.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 04:31:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: DENTIFRICE!

We're macho, manly men around here, and that's how we like our frices.  We like our frices macho and manly.  We don't need no denti frices!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 04:48:13 AM »

We've just been watching the PBS "Broadway - the American Musical".  I did not know of the 1999 film "The Cradle will Rock". Any comments out there? Should I check it out?

Good morning, all!  DRTomovoz, the story of the musical's getting seen by the public is a great story, which John Houseman told everyone and everywhere, and it's worth seeing if only for the politics alone.  That said, I have to admit that THE CRADLE WILL ROCK has always sounded to me like second-rate THREEPENNY OPERA, and I much prefer Blitzstein as a translator than as the composer of REGINA and THE CRADLE WILL ROCK.  However, I love his score to JUNO.

I'm still nursing my wounds over the DARLING OF THE DAY affair, but I did spend  a lovely "personal" day yesterday puttering about the apartment.  I proofread a couple of scores for the Jeff Harnar-Shauna Hicks "Mickey-Judy" show, which is being done in concert in September, talked to DRs Jose and MBarnum, and generally kept to myself.  Today I'm back to 14th Street, and tonight goddaughter Charlotte and I are seeing THE DUKES OF HAZZARD.

TOD:
   Gower Champion:  "Put on a Happy Face" (BYE BYE BIRDIE)
                            "Dancing" (HELLO, DOLLY!)
   Bob Fosse:  "Rich Man's Frug" (SWEET CHARITY)
                   "Steam Heat" (PAJAMA GAME)
                   "Who's Got the Pain?" (DAMN YANKEES)
                   All of PIPPIN
   Onna White:  Dance in the Library (THE MUSIC MAN)
                     "Open a New Window" (MAME)
                     "Shipoopi" (THE MUSIC MAN)
   Jerome Robbins:  "Mack Sennett Ballet" (HIGH BUTTON SHOES)
                          "America" (WEST SIDE STORY)
                          "The Small House of Uncle Thomas" (KING & I)
                          All of GYPSY and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
   Michael Bennett:  "Turkey Lurkey Time" (PROMISES, PROMISES)

My favorite Robbins dance?  DANCES AT A GATHERING for New York City Ballet:  I don't know what happens in it, but the beauty and sense of humor throughout suddenly lead to a quiet ending of great emotional depth and pain.  Amazing!

Two omitted masters:  
   Agnes deMille:  "Come to Me, Bend to Me" (BRIGADOON)
                        "Hornpipe" (CAROUSEL)
                        "Many A New Day" (OKLAHOMA!)

George Balanchine:  "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" (ON YOUR TOES)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 04:50:29 AM »

I have heard mixed things about the film version of Cradle. I have never gotten around to seeing the film but I am a fan of the stage show. I should check it out. I know it's pedantic and hits you over the head, as I've been told, with the political message but it moves me and there are some wonderful songs like Nickel Under the Foot and Joe Worker.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 05:28:59 AM »

I've mixed feelings about the TOD.  My parents were never ones to go to the theater, and since we were LA based, rather than NYC, seeing much of the work of these masters becomes problematic at best.  I did get to see A Chorus Line way back when it played at the now demolished Shubert Theater, and loved it.

And, of course, there are the attempts to recreate the work, such as Fosse.

So, for much of the time my knowledge of Fosse, Champion, White, Robbins, and Bennett is reduced to what has been preserved on film.  At least we have that, and it's a good thing film was invented in time for some of their work to be frozen for everyone to enjoy.

I'm glad Fosse's "Hernando's Hideaway" was preserved on The Pajama Game, for example.  Shirley MacLaine prancing through the streets of NYC with the "Brass Band" from Sweet Charity is wonderful (and can be compared with Gwen Verdon doing the same number on The Best of Broadway Musicals, culled from Ed Sullivan's broadcasts).  Almost everything from All That Jazz thrills me, but particularly the pas de deux between Roy Scheider and Erzsebet Foldi.  I can't think of a more intimate portrait in dance of a father and daughter.

For Onna White, yes indeed to the library dance from Music Man and to "Sincere" from Bye Bye Birdie.  I'm not sure; didn't both films use the same set for the downtown area?

Robbins was part of my growing up, of course, because of the annual broadcast of Peter Pan.  And West Side Story gives us "Cool," along with a lot of other numbers.

But Champion's work wasn't really preserved on film (although Gene Kelly copied it for Hello Dolly).  And Bennett wasn't part of the film musical era, came along too late.

Drat.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 05:33:14 AM »

Today is National Ice Cream Pie Day.

It is also Bad Poetry Day.

(I will spare you all from a haiku about ice cream pies.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 05:50:35 AM »

One last group of words on the dinner der B and I had at Abstractions last night: this was probably not what purists would consider true sushi.  Too bad, we loved it.

The various maki were:

Tsunami: Crab meat, cucumber, with scallion on the outside.

Dragon: Eel, avocado, eel sauce, with sesame seeds on the outside.

Scorpion: Shrimp, avocado, cucumber, mayonnaise, with scallion outside.

Spicy Yellowtail: Yellowtail, avocado and cucumber (again), spicy mayo, with tobiko outside.

Dynamite: Tuna and salmon, which was broiled and topped with spicy mayo and lump crab meat.

Mexican: Tuna, jalapeno peppers, spicy mayo and tempura bits.

And, ordered special, Spider: Soft shell crab, avocado and cucumber, with tobiko and sesame seeds outside.  (Love the crunch of the soft shell crab!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 06:05:22 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I don't know why, but I'm up.

Gene Kelly didn't choreograph the film of Hello, Dolly!, Michael Kidd did.  And while there may be a shadow or echo of Gower's work, Kidd's is crass and bombastic, whereas Gower's work in Dolly is elegant and unforgettable (especially in I Put My Hand In, Dancing, The Waiter's Gallop, the title song - but also his direction, which is all choreography, too).  

Love the other choices I'm seeing.  I wish I'd seen Bennett's Ballroom which, despite its faults as a show, I hear had breathtaking dance sequences.  And I'd add to Fosse the brilliant Everything Old Is New Again, with Reinking and Foldi, which is so perfect that it makes me tear up every time I watch it.  In fact, I'm going to watch it today.  In fact, I may just watch all my favorite dances today - sad that all that we have of Dolly is what's been on the Ed Sullivan show (well, I have a "reviewer's reel" of the eighties Channing tour that has most of the Dolly number on it).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 06:06:23 AM »

DENTIFRICE, baby, DENTIFRICE.

Who will be the first to mention that word's use in a song?  In fact, the song is in a show that's been mentioned today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 06:18:42 AM »

Has anyone noticed the number of "Topics" on the home page (this represents only the number of daily "Topics" since the board began):  Pray for Rosemary's Baby indeed.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 06:29:04 AM »

It is also Bad Poetry Day.

I am inspired to compose me some poetry:

Oh, dark gunk under my fingernails,
Whence forth did you come?
Potato peeling?
Nose picking?
Dorito snacking?
Neither task have I done in a day.

Oh, dark gunk under my fingernails,
Not easily removed
With the tip of the pen--
In fact, made worse!
Dark gunk with inky overtones.

Now resembling a freighter
On the ocean horizon at night
Smuggling tanker car loads
Of expired Rice-Krispie Bars
To be sold to in some far off land.

Please excuse the scratch-outs.  But this is a work in progress and I like to emulate the "at work" style of my favorite motion picture poetess, Diane Keaton in Interiors.  Every time I scratch out a word, I get to emit a soul stirring sigh.

Sigh!

Let me know if y'all would like to read more of my poetry!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 06:38:32 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 06:49:07 AM »

For all AMAZING RACE fans.  They have announced the teams for TAR8:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3667
http://www.tvrules.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8581

Interesting to see the ages.  I thought 12 was the youngest????

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 06:52:44 AM »

Just caught up on last nights posts....thanks for the links to those jeans artivcles Jjose... It boggles this little mind... I was raised by a Scottish mother to never spend $1.00 when you could spend 25 cents... I grew up wearing Wrangler jeans when all around me wore Levi's. My mother never met a generic brand  she didn't like "its the same as Rice Krsipies only half the price".  I think I am genetically incapable of spending $100 - $670 for a pair of jeans  even if I felt I had the financial means to do so.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 06:55:32 AM »

I am inspired to compose me some poetry:

Let me know if y'all would like to read more of my poetry!

Yes please!! The poetic imagery is captivating  :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 06:59:17 AM »

DENTIFRICE, baby, DENTIFRICE.  No one knows what song that word was used in?  It's actually not quite used in an actual song, but it's used when someone is trying to come up with a lyric of a song.

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 07:00:55 AM »

Last nights dinner menu

Japanese onion soup

hibachi shrimp

hibachi filet mignon and scallops

hibachi fried rice

bean sprouts, onions, water chestnuts

green tea

Ah yummy!!!!!!

And I used my chopsticks and didn't drop anything  I am so proud

td

• td
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 07:02:31 AM »

DENTIFRICE, baby, DENTIFRICE.  No one knows what song that word was used in?  It's actually not quite used in an actual song, but it's used when someone is trying to come up with a lyric of a song.

It's also used in "The Big Beat" from OVER HERE!, which was discussed here yesterday. . .as well as in BYE, BYE BIRDIE when Albert is composing "One Last Kiss."
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 07:03:55 AM »

Aside from the Fosse numbers already mentioned, I have to say that "A Snake in the Grass" in THE LITTLE PRINCE is top-notch Fosse, and he does it all by himself!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up