Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THOUGHT PROVOKING  (Read 23844 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THOUGHT PROVOKING
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2004, 04:01:48 PM »

I loved the stage version of CAMELOT when I was a teenager. Saw it in NY - Goulet was still Lance, but Burton and Andrews were gone. His voice ringing out in a theatre was beyond thrilling. "If Ever I Would Leave You" - WOW!!!
I was incredibly moved by the whole thing. Couldn't stop crying when the houselights came up at the end. Very embarrassing. Particularly for my mother. She took mne to the Latin Quarter to cheer me up with the nude dancers. My mother had a bit of Hungarian Auntie Mame in her.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2004, 04:17:10 PM »

You were never a teenager.

Panni

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2004, 04:20:23 PM »

You were never a teenager.
True.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2004, 04:30:50 PM »

Josh Logan RUINED "Camelot"...just as he ruined "South Pacific."

Harris might have been a great Arthur...but the blue eye shadow?  And being too cutesy in "I Wonder What the King is Doing Tonight?"  He worked way too many affectations into his performance.  A strong "film" director would have steered him away from that!

Redgrave was luminous most of the way through her Guinevere.  So radiant and exquisitely beautiful.  Too bad she couldn't sing.

Ken Darby has written that he had to do take after take after take just to get enough "bits" to splice together something usable.  

The film had so much potential.  It really makes me crazy to consider why in hell Jack Warner -- who was so priggish about "My Fair Lady" -- would have turned "Camelot" over to Logan.  Cukor would have been perfect for it.  So would Minnelli.  Neither was doing much of anything at the time, either.

The sets and costumes are magnificent, and Alfred Newman's scoring is phenomenal.

Favorite moments:  The first look at Guinevere; the last verse/chorus of "Take Me to the Fair" as a tipsy Guinevere cavorts on tabletops with three knights as Lancelot watches; the scene where Lancelot brings the dead knight back to life; Guinevere in her bedchamber pondering the smoking/glowing tip of a stick that had been used to light a candle; Lancelot's meltdown as he confesses to Dap that he cannot get Guinevere out of his mind; the Flemish tapestry quality of the scene in "If Ever I Would Leave You" as Guinevere appears at Lancelot's door in a diaphanous gown; the entire "Investiture" sequence; and the "Take Me To the Fair" number, especially the wild dance that ends in looks of betrayal and treachery as both Arthur and Guinevere realize their love is dead; and the plaintive sweetness of Guinevere singing "I Loved You Once in Silence."

Not surprisingly, these are among the best-scored sequences in the movie, too.

The overall film is a totally mixed bag.  I can't really disagree with anything anyone has said (except that Merlino's voice is only "mediocre" -- sorry, Matty).

« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 04:42:52 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2004, 04:38:13 PM »

Soon I will be supping at Chan Dara.  Can anyone suggest Atikins or South Beach friendly thai food?  I know I can have the chicken on skewers appetizer with the peanut sauce, but what else Thai doesn't have rice or noodles?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2004, 04:44:13 PM »

Why not go for one of the Satays...pork, beef or chicken...with spinach...but ask the waiter to forego the rice.

They may have a nice fresh spring roll to tantalize your tastebuds, as well.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 04:44:52 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2004, 04:51:59 PM »

...Der Brucer (who has ordered a copy of “Leaving Home” direct from the publisher so SWW can be the first kid on the block to own one)
Don't be so sure, considering the population of our block, and of Rehoboth Beach in general.   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2004, 04:59:24 PM »

They used to do a nice B-B-Q chicken...or was that the now-non-existent Chao Praya? Which Chan Dara are you supping at? Cahuenga or Larchmont (right next to vet)?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2004, 05:04:34 PM »

Greetings to
DR Charles Pogue, who has
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]
ASCENDED!
[/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2004, 05:12:10 PM »

If you're concerned about sugar - ask. I think they use quite a bit in some of their sauces

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2004, 05:15:10 PM »

The casting of Lancelot is all wrong.  According to T. H. White's book, The Once and Future King, upon which the musical was based, Lancelot was a physically ugly man.  Part of the progression in the story is how Guenivere is initially repelled by his appearance, which leads her to ridiculing the man, but then discovers that she loves the man for who his is.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2004, 05:20:13 PM »

Which brings us back to the TOD:

BOOKS:
The Harry Potter series.
The Once and Future King and The Book of Merlin, by T. H. White.

TELEVISION:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The Prisoner.

FILM:
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Yellow Submarine
Shreck
Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
What Dreams May Come
The Birds
Little Shop of Horrors
(musical version)

STAGE:
Sunday in the Park with George

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2004, 06:01:39 PM »

I have not yet listened to the interview with our Great God Pogue--that will have to wait until tomorrow morning where I have broad-band at work.  But since his recent apotheosis (one of my favorite words), I thought it fitting to post the accompanying Graven Image.  All I can say is, lucky lovely wife Julianne.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 06:02:56 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2004, 06:01:45 PM »

IF we end up at Chan Dara it will be Larchmont.  They're now talking about maybe going somewhere in the nabe because of the heat, so we may end up at Louise's.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2004, 06:05:57 PM »

It's 9:00 EST, and TNT is showing the LAW & ORDER episode where Judy Blazer plays the angry wife who runs over her husband several times.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2004, 06:13:18 PM »

And I am off to the movies to see THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS (winner for Best Foreign Film - let's hear it for Canada!). Haven't been to a movie in an actual  theatre in a while, so I'm looking forward to it.
I just read the Steve Martin Passion piece in the New Yorker. Like FS Pogue, I've worked with some of those execs. (eg MISS ROSE WHITE - "Couldn't the Shabbat prayers be in English? Most of the audience won't be able to follow otherwise.")
In the same issue (last week's) there is also a very favorable review by John Lahr of the new FIDDLER with a wonderful photo of Harnick, Stein and Bock by Richard Avedon.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2004, 06:23:22 PM »

I am watching the beginning of Judas, and the most striking thing about it so far is all these brunette disciples walking about with a very Nordic-looking Jesus.  Beautiful smile, deep blue eyes, and I keep worrying that that very fair skin is going to sunburn badly in the Gallilean sun.  It brings me to mind of the television series The Adventures of Sinbad, starring the world's only Icelandic Arab.
--Wayland Flowers

Danise

« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2004, 06:24:19 PM »

Evening all!  Just checking in.  II'm having a hard time with my e-mail account downloading.  It is slowing down my whole system.  

Jane--I discovered an e-mail from you that I didn't know you sent as well as the new one.  I will answer tomorrow when everything is back to normal.  I have to shut down the net and let the rest of the messages download before it will clear.  

Good night all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2004, 06:33:47 PM »

All I can say is, lucky lovely wife Julianne.

Geez, Bill....drool much?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2004, 06:36:31 PM »

Oh, my mistake.  Jesus doesn't have blue eyes.  They are emerald green.
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2004, 06:38:10 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I had planned to take a nap, and nap I did!  And I have a feeling I'll actually be going to bed in a little bit.  -I still have a slight headache which could still be a result of the turbulent flights and/or the lack of sleep the past 36 hours.  Ah, well...

I meant to mention that while I was waiting in the Chattanooga airport, I had a very nice chat with Mr. Christopher Durang.  He was one of the Keynote Speakers at the convention (along with Mimi Kennedy), and he, too, was waiting for the airport to re-open.  Unfortunately, I was kind of reticent while chatting with him, and kept it more or less to small talk - I really wanted to gush and gush, but I held back.  However, he's very nice, and we did talk about some mutual friends and acquaintances we have.  I guess I was a little star-struck.  -Has anyone else caught his "act": "Christopher Durang and Dawn"?  VERY funny.  He hasn't done it in a while, but he did say he'd like to bring it back again sometime.

BK - There is a lot of Thai food that is very Atkins and/or South Beach friendly - if you stick to the appetizers and soups you should be safe.  Otherwise, as others have mentioned, just keep the rice on the side.  *I'm very partial to the dried beef and green papaya salads (which also have Vietnamese variations).
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2004, 07:22:08 PM »

Soon I will be supping at Chan Dara.  Can anyone suggest Atikins or South Beach friendly thai food?  I know I can have the chicken on skewers appetizer with the peanut sauce, but what else Thai doesn't have rice or noodles?

The peanut sauce is surprisingly high in carbohydrates.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jed

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2004, 07:36:53 PM »

Mmmm... now I want various and sundried veggies, meat, and rice or noodles in peanut sauce!!!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Kerry

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2004, 07:38:41 PM »

One of my favorite moments in the movie version of CAMELOT is in the close-up of Richard Harris lying on the forest floor singing "How to Handle A Woman" with a Band-Aid on his neck.  It'e VERY obvious on the  big screen ----not as much on the small screen.  It's on his left side for anyone interested.  How many milllions did they spend to make that, and they couldn't cover up a Band-Aid?!!?!??!?!  Merlin must have been some magician!!!!!!!

I like all the cod pieces tooo! :o
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2004, 08:10:39 PM »

DR RLP wrote:  "Since we do have Mr. Nero's filmed Lancelot, the notion that the singing voice that perfectly matches his speaking voice is nothing more than "mediocre" strikes me as being harsh."

I'd hardly call it harsh. My honest opinion is actually what it was. I think his (Merlino's)  singing is as pedestrian as can be, and combined with Miss Redgrave's ill-equipped-to-handle-the-songs vocals, CAMELOT was a tremendous disappointment for me.

Notice I said, for me. If the movie hadn't cost so much, it would have made a profit, for it did reasonably well at the box-office. (And I did like Richard Harris' Arthur, for me the best thing about the movie.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2004, 08:11:22 PM »

I like all the cod pieces tooo! :o

Those are pieces? ! ? !  What are they, fish ? ! ? !?

I thought they were are BUILT that way, anatomically speaking, of course.

DR Orr - - you do realize that JUDAS (the tv movie, not the person) sat on ABC'S shelf for two years or more? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2004, 08:12:36 PM »

Where do they sell used camels?

CAMELOT!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2004, 08:13:56 PM »

Just got back from seeing Mary Cleere Haran. My review

The beautifully attired Mary Cleere Haran swept onto the stage of the elegant Crest Theater in Delray Beach, Florida in April as part of its Broadway Cabaret series produced by Mark Keller. Haran’s evening of songs taken mainly from her cd. “This Heart of Mine: The Classic Movie Songs of the Forties”. Watching Mary Cleere Haran in concert convincingly proves that she is one the perhaps the preeminent performer of classic American songbooks of the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s. The beautiful arrangements and her immaculate diction make it sound as if you are hearing the lyrics of Johnny Mercer and Johnny Burke for the first time. The excellent musicality of Musical Director Donald Rebic on piano and Chip Jackson on bass have their moments as Ms Haran allows them to shine in solo spots. Highlights of her set include a tribute to Betty Hutton with "Poppa, Don't Preach to Me" and several songs from the Crosby-Hope Road pictures were a delight.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2004, 08:14:27 PM »

Where do they sell used camels?

CAMELOT!

And used Lances?

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2004, 08:15:18 PM »

I forgot to post my review of Backstage Bosom Buddies that I saw two weekends ago.

The bubbly bright “Backstage Broadway Buddies” of Liz Callaway and Jason Graae recently performed at the Kravitz Center backed by Alex Rybeck on piano. The opening material specially created for this engagement amusingly took songs with “Buddy” in them like “Bosom Buddies”, “In Buddy’s Eyes” and managed to cram humorously in the lyrics “Backstage Broadway Buddies”. After the opening song, Jason Graae commanded the stage for over an hour with a mixture of his “An Evening of Self Indulgence” and new material. After a brief intermission Liz Callaway took the stage among the highlights are many of her signature songs, “Meadowlark”, “Memory” and “The Story Goes On” Even after twenty years no one has every matched Callaway emotional telling of Maltby’s lyrics. Graae returns to the stage and performs the rest of show with Callaway. They have excellent chemistry and they really seem to enjoy working together. Someone should write a show for these two excellent and underused musical performers.

Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up