Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SPLIT LICKETY  (Read 37492 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE SPLIT LICKETY
« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2007, 09:13:02 AM »

Perhaps the sound engineer needs to boost the levels to counter the snoring from the audience?   ;)

Well, I don't think I detected any snoring.  Lots of tittering, but no snoring.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2007, 09:13:23 AM »

I, of course, blame Jose.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2007, 09:15:53 AM »

Jericho' fans assail CBS with 25 tons of peanuts

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Fans trumpeting the cause of CBS' canceled drama "Jericho" have caught the network's ear.

CBS, deluged with calls, messages and shipments of nuts signifying viewer displeasure, is reconsidering its decision, a source close to the production said Tuesday.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment publicly. A decision on whether to bring the show back, probably for a midseason run, is imminent, the source said.

"We are tired of the networks (not just CBS) tossing aside quality programming," was the message carried by jericholives.com, one of several Web sites protesting the cancellation. "Enough! We're going to fight for this one."

singdaw

« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2007, 09:16:28 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - thanks, very much, for the explanation.

Another mystery solved!

singdaw

« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2007, 09:18:25 AM »

Didn’t they get the memo?  It’s SPLIT LICKETY!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2007, 09:22:47 AM »

RE: Curtains OCR - I have yet to give it a listen, but I do have to say the booklet is a bit lacking.  Just 12 "pages" (3 "folds).  Cast list and credits, synopsis, a note from Rupert Holmes, and some pictures.  -And not everyone in the cast appears in the pictures.  And poor Karen Ziemba is obscured by the "hub" in the middle of the CD holder.

However, there is a notation on the back of the CD guiding you to two websites where you can find the complete lyrics.

And even though Rupert Holmes does mention Peter Stone and Fred Ebb in his notes, it would have been nice to see a separate dedication to them.

-I guess if I had not picked up the OCR to the 110 In the Shade at the same with the typically lavish PS Classics packaging...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2007, 09:31:58 AM »

Tomorrow is the Hartford Express for a colleague and me. I re-worked the presentation and the group to whom we are presenting seem happy with it.

Now comes the difficulty. I just assumed because we were going to Hartford, CT that we would take Metro North to the Hartford station. Nooooo! Metro North doesn't go to Hartford. Oh, well. We will take the MetroLiner Northeast Corridor train. Noooo! That train goes from Boston to DC but it doesn't make a stop in Hartford. There are two ways, besides driving, to get to Hartford. One Amtrak train leaves NY Penn Station at 6:55am. We have to change trains in New Haven and then, if all trains are on schedule we arrive in Hartford at 9:20 - for a 9:30 presentation. Ain't gonna happen. The other travel option is the Peter Pan bus from Port Authority at 42nd Street. One bus a day leaves at 6am and arrives in Hartford (if traffic is good) at 9am. Ye gods! Who knew getting to Hartford would be so difficult. Luckily my colleague lives in New Jersey and has a car. We will be driving from Manhattan, leaving at 6:15am. That should get us to Hartford in plenty of time for the presentation. We will then return to NY/NJ at a leisurely place since the meeting is over at 11:30. We will not have to worry about rush hour traffic. At least my boss said I don't have to come back to the office no matter what time I get back to the city. She said "you've already put in the equivalent of a full day so just go home when you get back." Thank you!!!

DR Ben - I was about to say the same thing as DR Singdaw, be careful of the traffic in the Hartford area.  And even before the Hartford area.  In any case...

Can't you get the presentation time moved?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2007, 09:32:55 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - thanks, very much, for the explanation.

Another mystery solved!

I probably should have looked for and linked you to THIS in the first post.  It gives you a far better idea of the usage!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2007, 09:34:56 AM »

Golly but I hate it when Deep Discount has a supersale!

I've placed three (count 'em 3) orders over the past few days....and I keep having to stop myself from doing one last order.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #159 on: June 06, 2007, 09:35:15 AM »

Oh, I guess I should get ready to head in for the matinee of A Chorus Line.  -I need to grab some lunch beforehand too.  I'm only observing the other keyboard book today, and I'll probably hang out between shows to practice a little bit since the equipment will be on.  And I may just stay for the evening show too.  And then we'll see when I get to go on for the first time.  We shall see.  Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #160 on: June 06, 2007, 09:36:01 AM »

Ginny - Are you seeing Witches of Eastwick at the Signature in Arlington?  Did I miss a discussion of your theatre plans in the D.C. area?

DR FJL - the DC segment of this trip is business for me (Saturday and Sunday are full conference days - oy).  Much of the socializing will be visits with librarian friends from Illinois, Iowa, and California who I only get to see at these national conferences.  One of our evenings, we'll be having dinner with our friends Doug & Jon, who live in NYC, but will be at the conference with Jon's work.  They'll be on vacation by the time DH Richard and I get to New York.

Thanks for the tip about the Signature production, though.  I'll keep it in my notes, in case a window opens up.  We're staying in Arlington (Crystal City), but I have no idea how close we'll be to that theatre.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #161 on: June 06, 2007, 09:38:39 AM »

DR Jose - I had some of those same reactions to the Curtains packaging, especially Karen's photo.

Thanks, too, for the heads-up about WM adding Tuesday performances.  I'll watch for it...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #162 on: June 06, 2007, 09:40:26 AM »

From Cilla
I just watched it again. It's very short, and I did fine, but I just don't like the idea of having anything on You Tube....that's pretty funny really, I went to a meeting to save a building tonight and was just planning on being there to show support, well of course I ended up talking about how beautiful the building is and how it breaks my heart that the bank wants to tear it down to build a parking lot.....and of course there were cameras there from 3 local TV stations, so I'll probably be on tonight.

I think I would be hesitant to put myself on You Tube.  Any other way I can watch the clip?

I keep thinking of the words from BIG YELLOW TAXI, "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot".

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2007, 09:47:09 AM »

For Ask BK Day: Maybe I missed your answer when I've asked before, but is Guy Haines making an appearance at the November benefit?

I don't think Guy will be making an appearance, no.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2007, 09:49:20 AM »

I'm all alone in the jernt, at least right now. I may have company by the time I finish.

I saw Xanadu last night. It brings up a whole host of questions, like Xana Why??? and other exclamation like Xana Don't!!!

Wow, what a misfire. There are one or two very funny lines but the movie was such an unrelenting dog (IMHO) that I just don't understand why they thought that gentle mocking or spoofing would work in turning this into a musical. It still needs HUGE, HUGE amounts of work and I don't think previews will fix the problems. I usually love Douglas Carter Beane's work but this book is awful, with the exception of a few funny lines (as I mentioned earlier). The show isn't even deliciously bad. That would be fun but it's just bad. Tony Roberts and Mary Testa (two old pros) work mightily coming off well with very weak material but the more I see Kerry Butler, the less I like her. She was good in Hairspray and Bat Boy when she was playing kind of smarmy characters but when I saw her in Little Shop and now this I just think she's missing something. There has to be a likeability about Clio/Kyra (and Audrey in Little Shop) but that was missing from Miss Butler's performance. There are also audio problems. Even with a mike I had trobule hearing/understanding her. James Carpinello who was in Saturday Night Fever, plays the Michael Beck role. He's a little better than Butler, but not by much. He's not sexy or hot and he's a decent singer but nothing special.

The audience last night LOVED the show but unless they tap into that cult group the show will not last long, IMHO. I don't think Brantley or Isherwood will like the show (the two main critics for the NY Times).

SPOILER

The funniest line in the show (I don't think I'm giving anything away) is

This is like Children's Theatre for 40 year old gay men.

It was downhill after that.

While the above line may indeed be funny on some level, it's everything that's wrong with musical theater - self-referential and making it okay that the show is bad.  That line alone would keep me away.  But you should read the posts about the show - from 40 year old gay men who say that it's the best thing ever and is great because it's so bad.  If that's where we've come, count me out.

Jane

« Reply #165 on: June 06, 2007, 09:51:48 AM »

Cilla it was fun to see you on video, the reason is so sad.  I enjoyed the close ups of the building detail.  I’m sure it is even prettier in person.

DtM-In Portland they might turn the Sears building into a loft.

Ginny-The Arcade is beautiful!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #166 on: June 06, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »

Drama drama drama.

Our first ad of the season appeared yesterday in the local Greencastle paper, and the price for tickets was WRONG.

I got ten emails from "concerned" board members wondering what was going on.  I talked to the editor (go right to the top, I always say) - and then the advertising manager who assured me that the change would be made.

Were the prices listed as higher or lower than actual?  If higher, patrons will be happy when they learn that they won't have to spend as much.  On the other hand, it might deter them from calling at all.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: June 06, 2007, 09:59:33 AM »

I guess I'm up.  Very groggy, but alive, but alive, but alive.

I'm stuffed up, and I have no idea if my voice is with me or not, but it usually comes back after the jog and such.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: June 06, 2007, 10:00:57 AM »

For anyone who hates Huckabees (I haven't seen it, but cannot stand its director/writer, a typical today filmmaker), just go to youtube and type in Lily Tomlin and Huckabees and be sure to watch both videos - the one in the car and especially the one in the office.  I side with Lily all the way.

MBarnum

« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2007, 10:04:02 AM »

OK...  So I got DRs Ginny and MusicGuy NYC dates...

DR MBarnum - when exactly are you coming in again?  I seem to recall June 28-July 1.

Jose, I arrive in NYC the morning of the 28th and leave the evening of the 2nd.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2007, 10:05:18 AM »

Well.....it can't be so bad it's good....if it's bad ON PURPOSE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2007, 10:09:28 AM »

I am staying home from work today because I didn't feel very good yesterday...I think that is called a delayed reaction!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2007, 10:10:23 AM »

I think I will use my time today wisely...and watch some DVDs!!!

singdaw

« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2007, 10:15:19 AM »

DR MBarnum - sorry you weren't feeling well yesterday!
***[delayed] recovery vibes!!!***

FJL

« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2007, 10:19:06 AM »

I don't think the stage XANADU intends to be "so bad it's good" - it intends to be good at being entertaining, and it's saying the original MOVIE is "so bad that riffing on it is a hoot," as least from the way I saw it.  I thought it was a very entertaining extended variety sketch.  The only thing wrong with it, IMHO,  is that it should have let itself be discovered off-Broadway.    And the sound at times.  :)

Ben

« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2007, 10:21:04 AM »

XANADU again...

And, yes, I liked the joke about children's theatre.  However, I don't think it was in reference to NAMBLA.

No, the joke had nothing to do with NAMBLA. I don't know if Woody was being serious or not but it's just a funny line, that's all.

I'm glad you guys liked it. I just wish I liked it more. I'm so not a fan of the movie and perhaps that's one of the reasons I'm so negative about it. I do know that I went in hoping it would either be a big delicious mess that I could laugh about or that I would actually have fun and like it. Neither happened.

Jane

« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2007, 10:21:45 AM »

The DeFazio Brothers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpksbTsmiWA

I have never enjoyed watching the Tango, nearly as much as watching the brothers.  Wonderful!  Thank you.

Michael

« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2007, 10:27:34 AM »

Question #2 For Ask BK Day

Do you have any "Lost In Boston" Songs? (Other than Where is A Man from 1st Nudie Musical)
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2007, 10:33:30 AM »

Golly but I hate it when Deep Discount has a supersale!

I've placed three (count 'em 3) orders over the past few days....and I keep having to stop myself from doing one last order.

I have just cancelled from Amazon my still unshipped orders of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC, BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES;  THE PLAYS and 110 IN THE SHADE, telling them that I am extremely displeased with my delayed shipments and that I was now ordering the items at DeepDiscount.com.  That will show'em!  That will show'em!

Of course, DeepDiscount.com doesn't have the BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES dvd or the 110 IN THE SHADE cd in stock, but still...that will show'em!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2007, 10:36:24 AM »

I hear ya, DR DtM!

YW - DRJANE....it is a fun video.

I will be selling tickets and watching a rehearsal of CINDERELLA tonight so I will miss SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up