Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES  (Read 21076 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »

I shall now be on my way to the theater, after which I shall return.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2006, 06:46:55 PM »

Wow Penny you have been busy.  Best of vibes!  

So many changes happening here you will think you went to the wrong house. :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2006, 06:48:44 PM »

OH!... And speaking of Jason Robert Brown... I just received this via e-mail:....

Sounds like something that DRs SWW and DerB may want to consider taping for their grandlads.....
The grandlads already get Nick on their television satellite antenna.

With our luck, Mommy will find it objectionable, and ban the kids from watching it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 06:49:26 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2006, 06:49:37 PM »

Page Five Dalmatian Dance!!!

That was the first movie I took Bryan to see.  Not too long after Craig was born Keith watched Craig so Bryan could have some alone time with me.  

I can't tell you what Craig's first movie was.  I'm sure he was very young and slept through part of it.

MBarnum

« Reply #154 on: March 03, 2006, 06:56:28 PM »

But why does anyone think Travolta can do drag successfully?

Maybe he has had a lot of practice  8)

MBarnum

« Reply #155 on: March 03, 2006, 07:00:41 PM »

I got Russ Meyer's VIXEN DVD in the mail today, now I can see what all the hub-bub...or would that be hubba hubba...is about!

Jane

« Reply #156 on: March 03, 2006, 07:08:09 PM »

Vixmom I'm waiting to hear if Craig wants any cookes before I order.

I'm tired-'night.

MBarnum

« Reply #157 on: March 03, 2006, 07:08:48 PM »

Seems we were just talking about this not long ago, and now Shirley Temple's Storybook Theater is coming to DVD April 25 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQ5UIM/102-1109951-8158567?camp=2025&dev-t=D2JUTWY2CB9NCH&link%5Fcode=xm2&n=130

Danise

« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2006, 07:10:48 PM »

My bad.  I got a phone call and forgot I left the computer on.  

I was just going around making sure everything was off before hitting the old sack.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2006, 07:12:15 PM »

Have a good evening all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2006, 07:28:33 PM »

Maybe he has had a lot of practice  8)

I didn't think you had it in you!  I'm so proud.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2006, 07:30:04 PM »

Seems we were just talking about this not long ago, and now Shirley Temple's Storybook Theater is coming to DVD April 25 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQ5UIM/102-1109951-8158567?camp=2025&dev-t=D2JUTWY2CB9NCH&link%5Fcode=xm2&n=130

There's not much info here, and some of them are already for sale on a Shirley Temple site.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2006, 07:35:24 PM »

I read in SECOND ACT TROUBLE that Liza also started the Chicago Fire.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2006, 07:37:32 PM »

I just had a major breakthrough on the three different BABES IN TOYLAND libretti.  It's not quite like discovering radium, but it was a huge relief today to decipher what was going on between Jan 1903 and Sept 1904.  

Eat your heart out, Maestro McGlinn!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2006, 07:37:59 PM »

I read in SECOND ACT TROUBLE that Liza also started the Chicago Fire.

She kicked over the bucket?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2006, 07:38:19 PM »

Liza started the Chicago Fire?

DR ELMORE thanks for the link.  That Mr Reidel's column is just scandy-luss!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2006, 07:38:54 PM »

Posts certainly come and go quickly here, don't they?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2006, 07:39:55 PM »

I had a long day at work today, and didn't get to leave on time....too many customers, not that that is a bad thing.  Was also working on a couple of natal charts which are difficult to do....I sometimes use the Kepler software, but would rather do them myself.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2006, 07:40:14 PM »

No wait, it wasn't Liza, it was Mame!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2006, 07:40:56 PM »

I'm just bored with the whole "drag" thing.  I've never found it funny.  Dame Edna bores me to tears.  I always hated the Monty Python drag sketches. I was glad when Bosom Buddies got rid of the whole drag conceit. I never liked it much in reverse when Shakespeare had women masquerading as men.  The only time drag ever worked for me was in Charley's Aunt and seeing Charles Pierce, but with Charley's Aunt there was a point.  And with Charles Pierce, it was his wicked "star" impersonations that were the draw.  Good God, there are few enough good roles in the theatre and on film for women of a certain age, do we really need men co-opting them?
But the role of Edna wasn't written for a woman in the first place, it was written for a man.  This was true of the original film, it is true of the stage musical, and it should be true of the filmed musical.

Given the story of Hairspray (basically, how a social outcast becomes the motivator for the liberation of another group of social outcasts, overweight and black respectively), and that the creators of the film (John Waters) and musical (Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman) are themselves social outcasts (gay), it doesn't surprise me that Waters, Shaiman, and Wittman used a key element of gay theatricality (drag) as a way of underlining their message.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2006, 07:41:45 PM »

Der Brucer wants his din-din.  Bye.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2006, 07:42:44 PM »

Another LONG day at work tomorrow.

And now, I have to say, that I am overwhelmed....and I know it is 20 years too late.

But my 99 cent video of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE arrived today, and I watched it from beginning to end for the first time ever.

I am overwhelmed....  I thought everybody was outstanding, yes, DR RLP, EVERYBODY.  

Sometimes a show comes along that just proves everyone else is just playing around with the musical....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2006, 07:43:31 PM »

Der Brucer wants his din-din.  Bye.

He can't have his breakfast unless he eats it!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2006, 07:44:11 PM »

Time for to go to bed.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2006, 08:02:58 PM »

Another LONG day at work tomorrow.

And now, I have to say, that I am overwhelmed....and I know it is 20 years too late.

But my 99 cent video of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE arrived today, and I watched it from beginning to end for the first time ever.

I am overwhelmed....  I thought everybody was outstanding, yes, DR RLP, EVERYBODY.  

Sometimes a show comes along that just proves everyone else is just playing around with the musical....

And that's why I nominated it for the Pulitzer Prize!  When I first saw it, there was only the first act, which was one of the most profound times I ever spent in a theatre.  The second time was in previews at the Plymouth Theatre and I thought the second act was a mess.  The third time was about two months later, and the second act had added "Children and Art" and "Lesson No. 7(?)" before the official opening.  It was quite wonderful, but the initial one-act verson at Playwrights Horizons, with "Yoohoo" by the singing bathers in the painting and something else I've forgotten, and sitting through the pain and truth of "Finishing the Hat" which I believe had just gone into the piece, are things I'll take to the grave.  The original old lady was Carmen Matthews of DEAR WORLD, and her replacement Barbara Bryne never had quite the fragilty and gentility of Miss Matthews in her duet with George: "Beautiful" was the title and beautiful was the moment.

And so to bed.  Night, all!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 08:11:50 PM by elmore3003 »

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2006, 08:12:58 PM »

Just catching up on the last couple of days...

Matt:  LOVED the pink elephants page dance.  That's one of my favorite Disney movie numbers ever, and a coupla years ago a woman performed the song "Pink Elephants" in a class I was taking, and it was the funniest live performance I have ever seen in my life, ever.  Her name is Adrienne Doucette, and she is brilliant.  I actually almost peed my pants in this class.

Jose:  Yes, I am back at Clemmons, only this time I'm an actual assistant and not an intern!  Yay!  I will mention your name to Rachel for the upcoming Producers audition, but only if I can play Petra.  ;)

Jane:  Thank you SO much for posting that adorable wedding picture.  So stylish, so pretty!  You looked so innocent and "blushing bride"-ish.  And Penny looks so glam, I pegged her right away.  *sigh*  Just lovely.

Jose again:  I HEART Chipotle.  I find it so hard to believe that anything can be that good.  It actually changed my life the first time I tried a Chipotle burrito.  Unfortunately, one Chipotle burrito is about 20 points on Weight Watchers (990 Calories, 31 grams of fat - see http://www.dwlz.com/Restaurants/chitpotle.html), and I get 24 a day, so I have to be careful not to get carried away.  I'll have them once in awhile.  There is lots of hidden fat and calories in there.  Of course it's much less if you get the salad, but geez... somehow they manage to sock it away in places you wouldn't think to look!  Bastards.  Delicious, sweet, spicy bastards.  ;)
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2006, 08:13:41 PM »

Yes, DR JRand55, it's only one of two decent performances I've seen the overrated Miss Peters give, and the other is in the film IMPROMPTU.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »

I read the Travolta/HAIRSPRAY all over the net today including VARIETY, E!, TV GUIDE, Playbill, and Zap2It.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2006, 08:21:39 PM »

I read the Travolta/HAIRSPRAY all over the net today including VARIETY, E!, TV GUIDE, Playbill, and Zap2It.

Here's a link for the Broadway.com story. Queen Latifah will also star

http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=525780

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2006, 08:24:52 PM »

Just catching up on the last couple of days...

Matt:  LOVED the pink elephants page dance.  That's one of my favorite Disney movie numbers ever, and a coupla years ago a woman performed the song "Pink Elephants" in a class I was taking, and it was the funniest live performance I have ever seen in my life, ever.  Her name is Adrienne Doucette, and she is brilliant.  I actually almost peed my pants in this class.

After spending a lovely afternoon with LADY AND THE TRAMP and seeing on the DVD that Disney is repackaging DUMBO for a new release this year, I put in my DVD of DUMBO tonight and wept and laughed my way through this masterful feature. What a triumph the entire show is, but that "Pink Elephants on Parade" number, which gave rise to the outrageously imaginative art in THE THREE CABALLEROS and ALICE IN WONDERLAND, is something to behold.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up