Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES  (Read 20593 times)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
Re:WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2006, 08:26:29 PM »

So yes, thank you all for the vibes; apparently it worked, because I did get that dream job I wanted.  I have to say, though, it is REALLY tough right now.  Today was my last day of "training"; in other words, the last day that I had the previous assistant to show me stuff.  And there is SOOOO much going on, it's really overwhelming trying to make sure I'm doing everything right and making sure all the bases are covered and the CDs have what they need to run their auditions next week.  The timing is just nuts because there are multiple projects going on at once and I have GOT to stay organized and keep on top of things.

I know it will be fine, but right now I'm basically getting thrown to the lions.  I'm armed with the right food, but there's just enough for each beast and I have to know who prefers which dish and how they like it prepared, and if I don't cook and serve each lion the correct dish cooked the way they like it, they'll just eat me alive instead.  :o
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2006, 08:26:46 PM »

I think Bernadette is wonderful in PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, too.

Was she not good in MACK & MABEL? I would think she was tailor made for that part.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2006, 08:29:01 PM »

Enjoyed MY NAME IS EARL. I still maintain that Randy is my favorite character on the show. Joy had a couple of great lines about "twenty acres and a mule."

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2006, 08:30:01 PM »

I liked THE OFFICE. Poor Michael was worse than ever, but I'm so taken with so many of these characters. Can't wait to get more and more information about that.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2006, 08:30:48 PM »

IN JUSTICE was an involving case tonight. I like that there was dissention in the office.

Matt H.

« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2006, 08:33:36 PM »

CONVICTION seemed overly busy to me for the first half hour. None of the characters much interested me. I got the feeling it was modeled after GREY'S ANATOMY except set in the DA's office rather than a hospital.

My favorite actor in the show got bumped off midway through the proceedings. That was a REAL bummer.

I'll tune in for more episodes, of course, but so far, I wasn't bowled over. Not like with EYES or THE BOOK OF DANIEL, both of which I miss desperately.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2006, 08:50:25 PM »

Ooohhh...

And when I went upstairs, I noticed that my Dad had come home from work, and he had left a nice collection of leftovers from work on the counter.  (He's the cook for the Secretary's Mess at HHS.)  Well...

Baked Cod
Baked Salmon
Sauteed Spinach
Mac 'n' Cheese (!!!!!)
Fresh Fruit - Strawberries, Oranges, Mango, Grapefruit, Watermelon

Nothing like a nice mid-afternoon "snack".  :)

Oh, and chocolate chip cookies too!

what a lovely collection of treats....

That was nice of him... Love Salmon
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2006, 08:54:21 PM »

Not anymore. :)

Sadly not...

I had the opportunity to meet her many years ago when I was kid. She had made a visit to Grand Forks and I was with my cousin at the Chester Fritz auditorium and I started talking with this woman who was sitting nearby.

I asked her name and she said Peggy... adn we chatted for a few minutes. I was about 10 years old
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2006, 09:00:45 PM »

I love the movie and have also read the book.  I actually have to rewatch the movie sometime soon and then write a midterm paper on what family therapy approach and treatment plan I would use.  I think my treatment plan will in some way incorporate the cooking that is so much a part of the family's culture and history of expression emotion toward one another.

I read that book for an anthropology class on folklore and culture and I still have my notes on it. I could type them up for you ifyou would like?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2006, 09:11:38 PM »

Here's a link for the Broadway.com story. Queen Latifah will also star

http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=525780

Interesting... I am slowly beginning to see Queen Latifah in a different light.

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2006, 09:20:28 PM »

Heading for bed now.

Good night, everybody!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2006, 09:20:37 PM »

So yes, thank you all for the vibes; apparently it worked, because I did get that dream job I wanted.  I have to say, though, it is REALLY tough right now.  Today was my last day of "training"; in other words, the last day that I had the previous assistant to show me stuff.  And there is SOOOO much going on, it's really overwhelming trying to make sure I'm doing everything right and making sure all the bases are covered and the CDs have what they need to run their auditions next week.  The timing is just nuts because there are multiple projects going on at once and I have GOT to stay organized and keep on top of things.

I know it will be fine, but right now I'm basically getting thrown to the lions.  I'm armed with the right food, but there's just enough for each beast and I have to know who prefers which dish and how they like it prepared, and if I don't cook and serve each lion the correct dish cooked the way they like it, they'll just eat me alive instead.  :o

IT sounds liked a fun and challenging job  I send many good vibes your way!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2006, 09:23:45 PM »

Social outcasts or not,  I don't care whether the role was written for a man or not,  it's Drag that bores me.  The whole conceit and concept of it...and God knows, it been around before Gays clasp the notion to their bosom.  It's hardly like they invented it or anything to enlighten the world about "social outcasts".

It just ain't funny to me!

Even when Uncle Miltie did it, it bored me.  Some Like It Hot may be my least favourite Billy Wilder picture.  I've seen two or three instances where it was used effectively in a theatrical situation, beyond that I have just never understood its appeal.  

And I've certainly never understood the British's devotion to it.  It must have something to do with all  those boarding schools, the playing fields of Eton and the old school tie and all that.  Beats me. It just don't tickle my funny bone.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2006, 09:29:10 PM »

Tonight a tribute to Lenny Dee, organist extraordinaire who passed away last week. Among pop organists, only Ken Griffin tops Dee, in my opinion. Dee could rock out a bit though, where Griffin wouldn't dare.

This is a particularly bizarre and fun cover...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2006, 09:40:31 PM »

Now that it seems official that John Travolta has been signed to play Edna Turnblad in the film of HAIRSPRAY, can someone explain to me why everyone involved thinks this is such good casting? Divine and Harvey Fierstein made significent inroads in their careers doing drag, so it was natural for them to play this part.

But why does anyone think Travolta can do drag successfully? Yes, he's a big name (but not one that means much at the box-office any more). Why is this supposed to be such a good thing?

Well, I guess because Tom Cruise was already tied up.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2006, 09:51:11 PM »

Good Evening!

My friend, Andy, called me up as he was leaving work and wondered if I wanted to head to dinner and movie... His treat... So...

:)

Dinner was at Gordon Biersch.  We both got burgers.  And we both had their very yummy, and very "lethal" garlic fries on the side.  However, it seemed my plate had a bit more of the garlic topping.  I loved it!  -However, I'm still trying to get that garlic taste out of my mouth over six hours later.  -And I'm sure my pillowcases will smell like garlic in the morning.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2006, 09:57:31 PM »

OH!

On the way out of the restaurant, I stopped at the Hostess Stand in order to bring something to her attention.  "I had a wonderful me, but I just wanted to point out something to you.  I come from a food-service family, and just happen to notice such things - You need to make sure the "window sills" inside are clean.  We were at Table 14, and there is quite a bit of dust and other dirt on them."

The hostess smiled and acknowledged my "concern".  However, her assistant gave me quite the dirty look.

-Guess who's calling the manager tomorrow.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2006, 10:10:26 PM »

And then it was off to the movies...

We ended up seeing two.

First up was "Good Night, And Good Luck".  What an amazing film.  I had no idea what to expect, and I was thoroughly entertained, informed and educated.  And with everything that is going on in the government - and the world - today, it definitely provided a lot of food for thought.

Then after a brief walk through Border's...

Next up was, was "Mrs. Henderson Presents".  Another wonderful movie.  Again, I had no idea what to expect, and I found the movie very entertaining, and unexpectedly touching in places.  Dame Judi Dench plays her part to the hilt, and she has some wonderfully salty one-liners.  -The whole discussion of "the midlands" had me and Andy laughing out loud.

...And now I'm a little more caught up on the Oscar contenders for this year.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2006, 10:11:43 PM »

DR Joy - Are you replacing Jeff at Clemmons?  And they're holding auditions for The Producers?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2006, 10:13:48 PM »

DR Joy - Part Deux - Remember, you don't have to eat the whole burrito.  Half now.  Half for later.  -And if you leave off the cheese and sour cream...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: March 03, 2006, 10:17:13 PM »

She kicked over the bucket?

Which reminds me of one of my favorite overheard comments...

"Oh, look, it says in her bio that she was in a "bus and truck" tour of South Pacific"

-"What did she do?  Drive the bus?

:D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:17:54 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2006, 10:25:17 PM »

Hmm...

Currently watching "Log-In For Love" on TLC... Very interesting.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2006, 10:28:33 PM »

Back from another excellent show with a fantastically appreciative audience - lots of laughs from start to finish, and for the second time, the problem actor gave a winning performance - not perfect, mind you, but yards better than he's ever been.  Maybe someone told him I was about to replace him.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #203 on: March 03, 2006, 10:29:01 PM »

I have a question...

When they buy out a show so to speak, does the theater do it or the production company that wants the theater buy it out?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2006, 10:30:43 PM »

Fighting the flu/cold that has been going around. Good thing about it, is that I lost more weight 46 pounds and counting.

Well, hopefully, you did not lose those 46 pounds as a result of the cold/flu.

;)

Better Health Vibes To You!~~~~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #205 on: March 03, 2006, 10:31:04 PM »

Tonight a tribute to Lenny Dee, organist extraordinaire who passed away last week. Among pop organists, only Ken Griffin tops Dee, in my opinion. Dee could rock out a bit though, where Griffin wouldn't dare.

This is a particularly bizarre and fun cover...

I bet that was a riot to photograph

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2006, 10:31:51 PM »

BTW bk, my cousin who is in LA on business saw the play last night and she enjoyed it... She is not even a Matt fan but she is now!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2006, 10:49:48 PM »

Back from another excellent show with a fantastically appreciative audience - lots of laughs from start to finish, and for the second time, the problem actor gave a winning performance - not perfect, mind you, but yards better than he's ever been.  Maybe someone told him I was about to replace him.

If that's what it takes... :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2006, 10:55:03 PM »

Yep... that is true George...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2006, 11:01:13 PM »

I just (about 45 minutes ago) got back from the high school production of Sweet Charity that the daughter of a co-worker is in.  The daughter (Mandy) played Helene and was quite good.  The Nickie was very good, too, and obviously a trained dancer.  The Charity was not bad.  She was spunky and optimistic and a good actress, but not a great dancer (although she could move) and not a very loud singer (they only had floor mics).  The guy playing Oscar was very good...nice voice, appropriately neurotic, and cute (and much too young for me, so don't get any ideas ;)).

Overall, the show was very enjoyable.  There was a lot of energy on the stage.  Sadly, there was a little too much energy in the audience. :P A little into the second act, a girl behind me on my left started talking to her friend and then a guy behind me on my right started talking to a friend of his and I could hear two different conversations!  I turned around to each of them and the guy got quite right away.  The girl, however, kept talking sporatically throughout the early part of the act and I had to actually look sternly at her.  That helped until the very end when SPOILER!!!....Charity gets dumped by Oscar and the girl behind me yells, "I KNEW IT!" very loudly.  A couple of people on stage almost broke character.  Damned high school audiences. ::)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 11:02:37 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up