Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LONG, LONG WEEKEND  (Read 18173 times)

Jennifer

Re: THE LONG, LONG WEEKEND
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2010, 06:16:13 PM »

I don't think i've ever had a cold tuna pasta salad. I've had tuna casserole. But not a cold pasta with tuna.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »

I am sorry to read about your friend's husband, elmore.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2010, 06:24:05 PM »

Just to be clear, recipe-wise - one can of tuna (I use Bumble Bee in water).  I chop about half a red onion, very thin, very small pieces - I think they call that dicing?  I make 160z of macaroni noodles, drain in COLD water.  Then I put in the tuna, which I mince as I do so it's not chunky.  Then I dump in the onions, add generous salt and pepper, and then mix all that together.  Then I put in two large tablespoons of mayo (ONLY Best Foods for me).  I mix that all up, then refrigerate (I put it in the freezer for thirty minutes, just to chill it quickly, then move it the the regular part of the refrigerator).  There it sits for at least one hour beyond the thirty minutes, or until you actually want to serve it.  When you're ready to serve, add one more LARGE tablespoon of mayo and mix that in with everything.  And voila - tuna pasta salad.  Salt further to taste.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »

Just to be clear, recipe-wise - one can of tuna (I use Bumble Bee in water).  I chop about half a red onion, very thin, very small pieces - I think they call that dicing?  I make 160z of macaroni noodles, drain in COLD water.  Then I put in the tuna, which I mince as I do so it's not chunky.  Then I dump in the onions, add generous salt and pepper, and then mix all that together.  Then I put in two large tablespoons of mayo (ONLY Best Foods for me).  I mix that all up, then refrigerate (I put it in the freezer for thirty minutes, just to chill it quickly, then move it the the regular part of the refrigerator).  There it sits for at least one hour beyond the thirty minutes, or until you actually want to serve it.  When you're ready to serve, add one more LARGE tablespoon of mayo and mix that in with everything.  And voila - tuna pasta salad.  Salt further to taste.

LOL!  I thought you wrote, "mix that in with everything.  And Vodka!"
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2010, 06:32:08 PM »

Bruce would not use Vodka ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2010, 06:39:59 PM »

Bruce would not use Vodka ;D

Nor would I.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2010, 06:43:30 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »

Nor would I, however there are plenty of other alcoholic beverages I enjoy while Bruce enjoys none at all. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »

My sister lands in Hawaii in less than one hour.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2010, 06:56:51 PM »

Rock Hudson is playing John Wesley Hardin - the outlaw - on one of the cable services.....it looks like a very nice Technicolor print....

Juli(e)a Adams and her pointy nose and other pointy parts will show up in this movie in a few minutes.

Jane

« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2010, 06:57:02 PM »

Safe landing!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2010, 06:57:53 PM »

Just seven weeks ago this very night, MR BK and DR CP were in Indiana enjoying THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X with EVIL KURT and myself.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »

Safe landing!!

So far so good.

I just finished watching AMELIA on DVD and I must say I was quite taken with Hillary Swank's impersonation....I liked the movie very much.

Oh....wait....there's the phone.....

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2010, 06:59:23 PM »

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY WISHES

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2010, 07:05:20 PM »

Well this is the day for bad news, I guess.

Jesse - the adopted daughter of my cousin Marcie - was driving to Florida with her husband and their five month old baby...and her in laws.  They were involved in a car crash earlier today.

The in-laws are both in critical condition.....Jesse is fair....her husband has some broken bones.....my aunt just called to say that there is no hope for baby....and they are taking him off the life support machine.

Life is fragile.

Laura

« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2010, 07:05:33 PM »

The kittens have had their child therapy for the day.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2010, 07:12:31 PM »

DR JRand, words can't express how sorry I am to hear your news.

Jane

« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2010, 07:12:50 PM »

Laura, did therapy involve the neighbor girls? :)

Laura

« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2010, 07:14:18 PM »

Yes.

Laura

« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »

By the way, Jeanne and her kittens do not purr.

Ginny

« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2010, 07:16:37 PM »

DR JRand - I am so sorry about the tragic news from your family.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »

Watching movie number 3, but am taking a brief break.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2010, 07:25:05 PM »

Jesse - the adopted daughter of my cousin Marcie - was driving to Florida with her husband and their five month old baby...and her in laws.  They were involved in a car crash earlier today.

The in-laws are both in critical condition.....Jesse is fair....her husband has some broken bones.....my aunt just called to say that there is no hope for baby....and they are taking him off the life support machine.

Life is fragile.

DR JRand59, I am so sorry to hear this.

Thank you for your condolences. Jeanne is a dear lady and, when I first got to New York, one of the finest soprano ingenues around. I first worked with her on a production of Victor Herbert's EILEEN, which is where John McGlinn met her and began using her in his concerts. Thirty years later, she's no longer an ingenue, but  she has played some very comic parts, like Eve Arden's role of the mother in VERY WARM FOR MAY, the SOUND OF MUSIC's Mother Abbess, and she still has a beautiful voice. Her husband, Larry French, has been married to her longer than I've known her, and he was a very quiet, gentle man everyone liked. They've been teaching musical theatre classes in Kores, so they are in and out of the country. We're recording Jeanne's numbers for this new Herbert recording in Jauary because they expected to be in Korea in September. I haven't spoken to her, but I hope she is all right.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2010, 07:26:53 PM »

By the way, Jeanne and her kittens do not purr.

???

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2010, 07:29:41 PM »

I just watched a peculiar performance of Purcell's DIDO AND AENEAS from the Opera comique, conducted by William Christie. Some of it was wonderful, like the leads, and some of it was awful, like the schoolgirls in 20th Century uniforms who kept burstign onstage for some of the dances and exited screaming. sometiems they entered screaming. The Dido was a Scandinavian singer, Malena Ernman, who was wonderful, and the Aeneas was the handsome Christopher Maltman. Why Mr Christie, who's a major authority on baroque opera, let this screaming and cavorting go on is beyond me.

I found these funny photos of Mr Maltman, a baritone who would fit DR MBarnum's criteria for a performer, since he's often stripped in productions, and Miss Ernman, who seems to have a huge crossover European audience. They're both excellent actors.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:42:33 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2010, 07:31:46 PM »

Thanks John G.  I was looking at that one.  I tried to find soba noodles, but didn't see them at the store.  I'll try the Asian store tomorrow. Is there a good substitute for soba noodles?

You can use whole wheat noodles of any type, but the flavor will be slightly different. Not bad. Just different.

I remember reviewing a Japanese restaurant once -- now closed, thank goodness -- that served up spaghetti and called them soba noodles. I called them on it, and the waitress, who didn't know any different, said, "Oh, that's what we always serve."

Just bear in mind there might be a difference in cooking times between the noodle you use and soba noodles and adjust accordingly.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2010, 07:34:38 PM »

DR JRand, that is horrifying news. More prayers, best wishes and healing vibes for all concerned. And my sincerest condolences.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »

I'm so sorry, JRand. I didn't see your post above mine. It must have posted while I was writing. I didn't see it until someone else quoted it.

I am so sorry to hear this sad news. My prayers go to the families.

John G.

« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »

Just back from discovering a great little home cooking restaurant. Had country-style pork ribs with cabbage and collard greens plus macaroni and cheese and a cup of spicy, rich gumbo on the side. The hostess told my friend Judy she could make her own ombo plate of the great meatloaf and a smothered pork chop with coleslaw and yams. Sweet potato pie with plenty of nutmeg and allspice, homemade peanut brittle and banana=nut bread for dessert. We were happy indeed.

The chef came out and I asked him if he were from Louisiana because the gumbo was so good. Turns out he is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America who attended classes with Cat Cora when she was there. This is just the food he loves and he does it very well.
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »

Life is fragile.

DR JRand59, I am so sorry to hear this.

Thank you for your condolences. Jeanne is a dear lady and, when I first got to New York, one of the finest soprano ingenues around. I first worked with her on a production of Victor Herbert's EILEEN, which is where John McGlinn met her and began using her in his concerts. Thirty years later, she's no longer an ingenue, but  she has played some very comic parts, like Eve Arden's role of the mother in VERY WARM FOR MAY, the SOUND OF MUSIC's Mother Abbess, and she still has a beautiful voice. Her husband, Larry French, has been married to her longer than I've known her, and he was a very quiet, gentle man everyone liked. They've been teaching musical theatre classes in Kores, so they are in and out of the country. We're recording Jeanne's numbers for this new Herbert recording in Jauary because they expected to be in Korea in September. I haven't spoken to her, but I hope she is all right.

OMG, Larry, what terrible news. We knew Larry French. Anthony worked with him at a now defunct theatre (Mill Mountain) in Roanoke, VA in 2005. They did Forum together. We met Jeanne a couple of times and she would volunteer for the annual Christmas Gift Bag project.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up