Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLURRING OF THE DAYS  (Read 4562 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE BLURRING OF THE DAYS
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »

Many years ago when I was doing work at Cape Canaveral, just before the first shuttle launch, what amazed me the most was the amount of TEAMWORK that it took to get it all done. Really? People cooperated? To me, the biggest achievement was the teamwork. We can do the technology. We still have trouble with the teamwork.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2020, 05:43:56 PM »

It was a lovely day. It's always so clear after the rain. I wish I could have taken more time for a walk. I need to make a point of doing so. This is one area where we are receiving conflicting guidance, but as long as I distance myself I see no problem.

Walks are too important not to do them as long as you can practice social distancing.  The cooler weather today did reduce the number of people on our walking path back to the regular walkers.

Jane

« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »

The shelter-at-home alert goes into effect at midnight. I don't know if my restaurant friends will be bale to stay open, even on a to-go-only basis.

:(

Jane

« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2020, 05:45:21 PM »

Many years ago when I was doing work at Cape Canaveral, just before the first shuttle launch, what amazed me the most was the amount of TEAMWORK that it took to get it all done. Really? People cooperated? To me, the biggest achievement was the teamwork. We can do the technology. We still have trouble with the teamwork.

Interesting and nice to know.

Jane

« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2020, 05:45:54 PM »

Vibes for DR Jeanne!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2020, 05:48:54 PM »

TOD 4:

A few foreign films I loved back then:

Cat and Mouse
The Marquise of O...
Amarcord
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
That Obscure Object of Desire
Nosferatu the Vampire
Dersu Uzala
Claire's Knee
The Tin Drum
A Special Day
La Cage aux folles
The Emigrants/A New Land
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
Fata Morgana
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2020, 05:53:55 PM »

I've spent the last several hours battling with a health care system that is beyond incompetent. The call that I KNEW was coming came: Cedars-Sinai cancelled my much-needed appointment with my osteopath for this Thursday. I understand that they want to minimize in-person visits as much as possible, but how do you do a blood draw over the phone? Or osteopathic manipulation? They are simply not thinking. No one knows anything. The nurse who called is the one I so dislike. I gave her a real earful. She was unable to answer any of my questions, such as when will the doctor return to his patients. I am in the high-risk group to start with, but without treatment and monitoring I am even more vulnerable. They are doing nothing to support us. 

I am so sorry and understand your frustration.  Is there anyway to communicate with your osteopath without going through the nurse?

Yes, we exchanged personal email addresses several years ago. We share many of the same frustrations with how medicine is practiced. What particularly irks me is that the nurse intercepts my emails to the doctor--galling!--and then cannot provide an intelligent medical answer (maybe because she's not a doctor?). I don't use his personal email if I think I can get an answer through the Cedars system. But she called this morning so that's where the conversation started. I also let the doctor know if I see a major problem, just because I think he should be aware.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2020, 05:55:25 PM »

John G.

« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2020, 05:55:25 PM »

Just discovered that one of my favorite unknown Robert Altman films, HealtH, is on youtube. I'm going to have to watch this. Loved the cast: Carol Burnett, James Garner, Glenda Jackson, Lauren Bacall, Dick Cavett, Paul Dooley and many more.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2020, 05:59:44 PM »

Reading the new Woody Allen book, which, thankfully, came out today via another publisher.  No one has the hardcover in stock, at least that I could find, so I got the Kindle version and am reading it on the computer.  If that becomes tiring, I'll continue on the iPad.  He writes long paragraphs, just as I tend too.  I also got an e-mail reminder that I have some writing that's due by April 1, so I'll get to work on that tomorrow - contributing to a book on musicals that were game changers.  I was offered a list - my first choice was taken already - Promises, Promises - would have loved to have done that one because I have a little history with it - so I chose Cabaret and got that.  Just 1500 words on its history, why it was a game changer, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »

I gotta tell you.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2020, 06:00:03 PM »

TTFN.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2020, 06:00:27 PM »

Okay, I think I'll mosey on over to Gelson's and see what's what.  IF I get tuna then I'll make some tuna pasta salad and that will last two days.

John G.

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2020, 06:06:00 PM »

Reading the new Woody Allen book, which, thankfully, came out today via another publisher.  No one has the hardcover in stock, at least that I could find, so I got the Kindle version and am reading it on the computer.  If that becomes tiring, I'll continue on the iPad.  He writes long paragraphs, just as I tend too.  I also got an e-mail reminder that I have some writing that's due by April 1, so I'll get to work on that tomorrow - contributing to a book on musicals that were game changers.  I was offered a list - my first choice was taken already - Promises, Promises - would have loved to have done that one because I have a little history with it - so I chose Cabaret and got that.  Just 1500 words on its history, why it was a game changer, etc.

Sounds like an interesting book.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »

Back from Gelson's.  Parking lot half empty, parking space right next to the entrance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2020, 06:42:09 PM »

VERY few people inside.  Full stock of meat and chicken, although I didn't like the way the chicken looked so didn't get any.  Fascinating what they're out of beside the obvious paper products and stuff like 409, which is rather an idiotic thing to hoard: Cottage Cheese, sour cream.  Why?  Plenty of milk products, cream cheese, various cheeses, some lunch meats.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2020, 06:46:27 PM »

Got two cans of my favorite tuna - limit of two per customer, which is good.  Got some paper plates, Wesson oil, two boxes of pasta, two packets of microwavable white rice, two Lean Cuisine frozen pizza breads, two onions, one more red onion, and one regular cream cheese (had a little whipped left, but don't really care for it).  No waiting or line at the checkout counter - they were waiting for a customer.  In and out in ten minutes.  Perhaps the madness is over now - one can only hope that the hoarders now have so much food that they have no more room to keep it, which only leaves the mom and pop jernts to hoard and they can't with a limit of two per customer, which they should have been doing the minute they saw the panic.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2020, 06:48:09 PM »

I also think that people are starting to at least understand that these war cries of "it could last up to six or eight months" are outrageous and based on nothing at all, since they cannot possibly know that and COULD does not help anything except fuel panic and hysteria. 

Jane

« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2020, 06:59:41 PM »

I've spent the last several hours battling with a health care system that is beyond incompetent. The call that I KNEW was coming came: Cedars-Sinai cancelled my much-needed appointment with my osteopath for this Thursday. I understand that they want to minimize in-person visits as much as possible, but how do you do a blood draw over the phone? Or osteopathic manipulation? They are simply not thinking. No one knows anything. The nurse who called is the one I so dislike. I gave her a real earful. She was unable to answer any of my questions, such as when will the doctor return to his patients. I am in the high-risk group to start with, but without treatment and monitoring I am even more vulnerable. They are doing nothing to support us. 

I am so sorry and understand your frustration.  Is there anyway to communicate with your osteopath without going through the nurse?

Yes, we exchanged personal email addresses several years ago. We share many of the same frustrations with how medicine is practiced. What particularly irks me is that the nurse intercepts my emails to the doctor--galling!--and then cannot provide an intelligent medical answer (maybe because she's not a doctor?). I don't use his personal email if I think I can get an answer through the Cedars system. But she called this morning so that's where the conversation started. I also let the doctor know if I see a major problem, just because I think he should be aware.

Yes, it should be aware.  I hope you get the answers you need from him.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2020, 07:03:07 PM »

I think I have only read one book about the making of a film, and that was about Casablanca.  I can't tell you the name of the book.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2020, 07:19:52 PM »

There are things in Woody Allen's book that are really eerily similar to things in the first Kritzer book, but I suspect all Jewish boys of a young age born in a certain time would have similar stories.  But a couple of things are almost word for word.  So far it's light and breezy and occasionally classic Woody in terms of turns of phrases.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2020, 07:23:44 PM »

The Cheesecake Factory can't possibly be busy five days ahead.  You simply cannot book a time for this restaurant via Door Dash.

Perhaps the Cheesecake Factory closed down for the duration ?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2020, 07:25:05 PM »

Wow, was Miracle at St. Anna a tearjerker.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2020, 07:25:45 PM »

Had to lighten things up with another W.C. Fields flick, You Can't Cheat an Honest Man.
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2020, 07:35:50 PM »

I ended up taking a nap for several hours this afternoon

vixmom

« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2020, 07:36:09 PM »

Not sure it even can be classified as a nap

vixmom

« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2020, 07:36:40 PM »

How many hours can you sleep before a nap becomes a sleep?

vixmom

Re: THE BLURRING OF THE DAYSfinished
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2020, 07:37:17 PM »

So we just finished dinner now
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:39:33 PM by vixmom »

vixmom