Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOME STRETCH  (Read 56665 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: THE HOME STRETCH
« Reply #270 on: February 03, 2010, 08:58:11 PM »

lol, no thanks.  i'm still baffled by the gift & that you have no idea which friend would find it funny.  maybe they won it and put it in your name instead, hard to imagine paying for it and not taking credit for the gag. ;D

Now I'm not personally condoning (or admitting  ;D ) this, but let's just say someone bid on some weight loss videos on eBay and then never responded to numerous emails requesting payment.  Let's say the seller then sent one of the official eBay final fee value credit requests in, which triggers an automatic suspension of a buyer's account (or did in those days).  Let's say the "buyer" then sent a vitriolic email claiming they had a) never bid on nor won the item (despite the clear proof they had); and b) had never received an invoice or any followup emails (which in fact they had, and since they seller and buyer at that point were both on AOL, a "read receipt" was included with several of the followups).  Let's just say all of that happened.  And the seller waited.  And then about a year later ordered the buyer a nice gift subscription to Gourmet as well as the Cookbook's Book Club (with several high fat books ordered as the first shipment).  Let's just say that all happened and let's just say it makes me laugh.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:01:15 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #271 on: February 03, 2010, 09:02:42 PM »

So TCB the obvious moral of the story is, if you had just paid for the damned wedding dress you won on eBay, you wouldn't be in this fix now.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #272 on: February 03, 2010, 09:08:15 PM »

Thank you Julie, Kevin, TCB and td for the birthday greetings! My best friend took us out for a lovely birthday dinner and one of the nicest restaurants in Athens: The National. The owners are opening a place in Atlanta next month that will be their take on a "meat and three" so you know I will take DR Jose there whenever he returns to Atlanta!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #273 on: February 03, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »

I think the Encores! production of FANNY is quite beautiful, and the two leading men, George Hearn as Cesar and Fred Applegate as Panisse, really really fantastic. I started crying when Hearn sang "Welcome Home" and didn't stop till the final tableau when the song was sadly reprised. I hope it's a huge success for everyone.

BK, I am so looking forward to this book.

My friend Chris, whom some of you know, needs some vibes. He's been having some health issues and I am a bit concerned about him. Please send him a few. Thanks!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #274 on: February 03, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

The chicken pot pie actually turned out really good. It was from the Kraft magazine.

You put 1 can of cream of something soup, 3 cups frozen veggies, 2 cups shredded cheese, and 2-3 cups cooked chicken cubbed.

You mix that together and then break apart those pilsbury crescents and bake it on top for like 25 minutes on 375F (brush a beaten egg on it to get it brown).

It was surprisingly delicious.

Yum!  Nothing better than cream of something soup!

Nothing says "I love you" or "I'm sorry" like Cream of Something soup!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #275 on: February 03, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »

I used to love chicken pot pie.  I think it was Broadway (which is long gone) Dept. Store in Century City that had a fountain style food counter & served a suburb chicken pot pie.  they also made a great orange float type drink.  i used to make them at home too, orange sherbet & milk topped with soda water.  the last time i could get one of these was at a deli in michigan, about 20 years ago.

Kind of like an orange egg cream!

Edisaurus

« Reply #276 on: February 03, 2010, 09:16:53 PM »

Thanks, Cillaliz and FJL!  (I admit I first thought Cilla had a statue of liberty head on her door!)

Edisaurus

« Reply #277 on: February 03, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »

Congratulations, bk, on crossing the finish line!

Edisaurus

« Reply #278 on: February 03, 2010, 09:34:21 PM »

For Jose: here's where we had dinner:

http://www.thenationalrestaurant.com/

Edisaurus

« Reply #279 on: February 03, 2010, 09:35:35 PM »

TIme to curl up with some kitties. Thanks for making this numerically significant birthday (55!) so much fun!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #280 on: February 03, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »

Just read through what I'd written earlier, smoothing it out and doing a few deletions and additions.  I talked to muse Margaret and ran two things that I hadn't used by her, and we agreed that I should add one but not the other.  So, I wrote an additional page.  I also added a couple of Wechter details that really helped things.  So, the book is now two pages longer.  Pages are printing.

Cillaliz

« Reply #281 on: February 03, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »

I can't sleep so I thought I'd post a couple photos.  The camera was on the wrong setting so they are a bit blurry. There were two others taking photos so I'm sure I can get some better ones

Cillaliz

« Reply #282 on: February 03, 2010, 10:54:44 PM »

The table

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #283 on: February 03, 2010, 10:55:41 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, since I have to leave for the airport in four hours...
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #284 on: February 03, 2010, 10:56:33 PM »

Edith and I with the plant from Mom and Dad.  They wanted to be sure there was a card with their names on it, so that's what I'm holding

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #285 on: February 03, 2010, 10:57:07 PM »

For Jose: here's where we had dinner:

http://www.thenationalrestaurant.com/

Thanks for the link and info, DR edisaurus.

Btw, the one Atlanta landmark I've never been to is The Varsity.  Can we go there too? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #286 on: February 03, 2010, 11:04:09 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Did you keep any part of the ribbon? If not all of it.  -And the scissors? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #287 on: February 03, 2010, 11:06:23 PM »

This is the second time in the past four months someone on ONE LIFE TO LIVE has been kidnapped from the hospital. What is the problem with soap opera security and staff? Cutbacks?

Soap opera hospital security is probably handled by the same people who are supposed to change the batteries in the home smoke detectors.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #288 on: February 03, 2010, 11:09:26 PM »

In the February issue of MEN'S JOURNAL, NBC's Chairman of Sports Dick Ebersol was quoted:

What broadcasting innovation are you most proud of?

"It isn't a piece of machinery or anything technical, but the "Megaseg", which I came up with to address the biggest hump to get over in our Olympic broadcast, which happens around 11 o'clock when everyone goes to bed.  What I did was stagger the commercials so that beginning at 5 to 11 we can go without a commercial break for 25 or even up to 50 minutes - that way the viewers never stop watching. It really ends up being a gift for the people who've stayed with us up to that point, because you get to see the ultimate events without interruption."

NOW - where do those commercials go?  Did the FCC give him permission to put EXTRA commercials in the 8 p.m. - 11 p.m. time period (at higher rates than late night) - I can't think it's a gift - someone is seeing extra commercials....he isn't giving that time away....they couldn't sell it at any price?  So they sell high priced EXTRA commercials during the prime time broadcast.

It's a strange thing to be the most proud of, Mr Ebersol.

Actually, I believe a good chunk of those commercials go after the megaseg.  -It's a long enough chunk of time for someone to go to the bathroom and/or get a bite to eat or something to drink after sitting there for all that time.

*And what he fails to mention - at least in that snippet - is that it also helps the ratings in both the prime time and late night slots.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #289 on: February 03, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »

Finished with my viewing.  Let us just say that I am emotionally spent.  What a day.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #290 on: February 03, 2010, 11:12:26 PM »

Page Seven lip tickler dance.

Hmmm....

I really wasn't trying to grow a mustache.  I think I was just being lazy that morning.

That pic was actually two years ago in Steinway Hall.  -Fun with the self-timer. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #291 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Did you keep any part of the ribbon? If not all of it.  -And the scissors? ;)

Yes I have the ribbon, both pieces.  We made it into a sash for a couple photos, lol. The scissors I didn't get to keep.   

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #292 on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:12 PM »

bk - Congrats on finishing your tome!  -Somewhere down the line, do you plan to take any time away from it - even for a day - before taking a real good look at it?
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #293 on: February 03, 2010, 11:15:55 PM »

this is a little about the lady on my office door. Themis - Goddess of Justice. And a link to a page that has a photo of the Themis statue we used for inspiration. 

About Themis - Goddess of justice    In Greek religion, Themis was the personification of justice, the goddess of wisdom and good counsel, and the interpreter of the gods’ will.

According to some sources, she was the daughter of Uranus (Heaven) and Gaea (Earth). She was Zeus’s second consort and by him, the mother of the Horae.

On Olympus, Themis maintained order and supervised ceremonies. She was a giver of oracles, and one legend relates that she once owned the oracle at Delphi but later gave it to Apollo.

The cult of Themis was widespread in Greece. She was - and still is - represented as a woman of sober appearance carrying the scales of justice and a sword as a symbol of justice enforcement. 

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/14.htm

Cillaliz

« Reply #294 on: February 03, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »

I think I'll try to sleep again. I tried a while ago but was still really mad about something that happened at work today and couldn't get my mind to stop spinning about what to do about it.  I think I figured that out, so I'm going to try to get some sleep

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #295 on: February 03, 2010, 11:20:41 PM »

Not confirmed yet except from tweets from Allison Sweeney and Nadia Bjorlin

Still looking for confirmation...

Frances Reid has passed away... She was on days and a number of movies and shows.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #296 on: February 03, 2010, 11:22:44 PM »

*I just used Character Viewer (Mac). ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #297 on: February 03, 2010, 11:24:56 PM »

Is it safe to come back...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #298 on: February 03, 2010, 11:28:22 PM »

Well, I must be going.  I'm on the Theater Artists Olympia's play-reading committee and we're having a meetting...NOW!  We're reading plays/musicals to decide what to do next season.

Be back later!

Sounds like fun George

It was...we read a few plays over the past week and each made suggestions or gave opinions on plays that we've all read.  I can't say which plays that we're considering...yet...but there are some good suggestions.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #299 on: February 03, 2010, 11:28:50 PM »

Is it safe to come back...

It's always safe to come back, DR DakotaCelt.

:)

Hello!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up