Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRY CHRISTMAS (AND NO STIRRING)  (Read 21589 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:MERRY CHRISTMAS (AND NO STIRRING)
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2007, 12:14:45 PM »

PAGE FIVE WHITE CHRISTMAS SNOW DANCE!!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 12:16:07 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2007, 12:17:15 PM »

Merry Christmas to all DRs (and lurkers)!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2007, 12:18:26 PM »

I slept uncharacteristically late, then had a lazy morning. I have plans with a friend soon.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »

I would love a bit of snow. But no such luck here.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »

A Christmasy feel-good movie ON DVD: JOYEUX NOEL.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2007, 12:22:22 PM »

I ate a big piece of Black Forest cake last night. It looked sumptuous, but actually wasn't very good. Did I put my fork down after just a few bites? Oh, nooooo... I ate it all. And now I don't even want to look at chocolate, which is actually a good thing.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2007, 12:22:22 PM »

A very Merry Christmas to All;from work at the hospital; I don't know what I recieved for xmas, other than a 100$ gift cert at Borders from my sis, which will go to Mordecai Richler essays and some Bway Cds; I'll unwrap the rest at home tonite. En rout to work this AM I listened to the wonderful Bobby Darin Christmas album, re-issued on CD last year. Where most pop albums of the era have 6 silver jingles and 6 carols, Darin has all traditional music, but half the songs  are backed by a rockin' gospel choir. Last night, having Christmas eve dinner with my friends the monks, I tried to explain to a sister from Belfast how "My Favorite Things" insinuated its way onto the list of pop Christmas standards. She's lucky she was Irish and a sister, 'cause even at this blessed time of the year I don't take kindly to any dissing of Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2007, 12:23:59 PM »

Feel Better Soon Vibes to DR JULIE!

Hope you can rejoin us soon!

George

« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2007, 12:27:38 PM »

~~~Feel Better Vibes for Julie!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2007, 12:34:50 PM »

Last night, we all went to my parents' house for dinner and gifts.  I got (in no particular order) a "Hairspray" movie poster, a package of four different flavored cashews from a local vendor who sells in Olympia's Farmer's Market (salted, garlic, cinnamon and coconut), a jar of organic cashew butter, cash from the folks, an under-the-cabinet CD player for my kitchen (also from the folks), a $20 gift card for Best Buy, a $100 cash card for Costco!, and some various chocolates. :D

George

« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2007, 12:36:41 PM »

Yesterday I also got a haircut, so all the hairs on the top of my head are very, very, very short.  They'll all grow back...well, most of them, I'm sure. ;)

George

« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2007, 12:38:20 PM »

And now, I must take a shower, get dressed and go to my sister's for the Christmas Day portion of the holiday.  I'm bringing Bette Midler's "Cool Yule" and Susan Egan's "Winter Tracks" CDs.

George

« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2007, 12:39:17 PM »

I was going to bring BK's "A Broadway Christmas" and "A Hollywood Christmas" CDs, but I left them at work. :-\ Dopey me.

Have a great day, all! ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »

And it is snowing in Salem.

I just finished up season 1 of RICK AND STEVE...the episode IT'S RAINING PUSSYS" had me rolling on the floor with laughter! The other episodes were fun too!

I look forward to season 2.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #134 on: December 25, 2007, 01:18:32 PM »

DR Elmore,

I'm so sorry you have the endure the rudeness and pomposity of such a person. I have one or two people on the peripheral of my life who also treat me coldly and with calculation which I despise. And I'm sure you, as I, manage to rise above while using every curse word in our brains to silently condemn said offender.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2007, 01:25:48 PM »

SWEENEY TODD is pretty close to magnificent, I found. I never would have dreamed the show would come to the screen in as effective a production as this. And that local reviewer was wrong about pitch problems for the principals. They were on pitch as far as I could tell.

I thought "By the Sea" was the best sequence in the production, beautifully conceptualized and realized. I don't remember others mentioning it, but I really loved it.

If I had any reservations at all, it was about Helena Bonham Carter. She does the part OK, but because the story is so very grim, her subdued interpretation loses the humor of the piece for me. And when she sings fast, the words do get garbled. Depp was much better than I ever thought he could be doing this part.

And, of course, as magnificent as the score is, I missed the deletions. "A Little Priest" is such a riotous number that losing half the verses again robs the story of some much needed humor, even if it's gallows humor. Still, with the theatrical videotape and this movie version once it appears on DVD, I'll be content with the SWEENEY representation I have in my home.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2007, 01:29:42 PM »

I am going to my friend's house for dinner, so I spent the afternoon having a CLOSER festival.
I decided to watch the two episodes that featured Ray Wise as the cagey attorney and the episode that featured the appearance of Estelle Pope herself.

These are all brilliant episodes with tight mysteries and superb ensemble playing.

We didn't mention it the other day, but it's no wonder THE CLOSER got a SAG nomination for Best TV Ensemble. It certainly deserves it.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #137 on: December 25, 2007, 01:46:46 PM »

I think my fav. part of mass is when the father says "This mass has ended." & everyone replies "Thanks be to God." :D
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #138 on: December 25, 2007, 01:47:33 PM »

A 200 mile round trip is ahead of me & my car has no stereo.
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: December 25, 2007, 02:03:49 PM »

I have some writing to finish, so I'll get to that now.

WBBL.

Jennifer

« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2007, 02:04:28 PM »

I also went to see SWEENEY today. But I didn't have the same reaction as DR MattH.  I just thought the movie was okay.

I love Sondheim. And SWEENEY is one of my favorites on stage. And i love the music.  But i just found the film so grim.  It was so dark.  And it wasn't the story. It was the way the film was made.

I thought the singing was good. But i wish they had cast someone else as Mrs. Lovett.

I really was hoping to love this movie.  But i don't think Tim Burton is for me.

Although i did see the trailer for MAMMA MIA and think that looks good!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #141 on: December 25, 2007, 02:16:34 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well.. One or possibly two naps later... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2007, 02:18:29 PM »

One brother and his family are currently here, and one more is still en route from Fairfax.  The other brother, Jay, is not due in from San Diego until Friday.  Now we're just waiting to serve the dinner...

Oh, nevermind.. It's being served.  :)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: December 25, 2007, 02:29:26 PM »

Sweeney is really divided, reaction-wise, I must say, but so were Hairspray and Dreamgirls.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: December 25, 2007, 02:45:02 PM »

I hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful day.

"Boxing Day" here in OZ.  
I shall be listening to the "Rothschilds"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: December 25, 2007, 02:47:16 PM »

We are lunching with Shirley Rothschild - her daugher and her grandson and assorted cousins  etc.  She is now Shirley Smith but it would no point at all saying today I am going to listen to The Smiths.  (unless you know of that particular pop group from a couple of decades ago)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2007, 02:51:53 PM »

I am so hoping that "Sweeney Todd" works as a movie. "Dreamgirls" (at least to me) was so bad bad bad. I've not been game enough to watch Hairspray. (I quite enjoyed the old film but have never warmed to the musical on CD - a bit like Thoroughly Modern Millie and Legally Blonde - entirely unnecessary).

(I'll keep in mind that any version of Sweeney Todd without Patti must have considerable merit).  We have to wait for another month here in OZ
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #147 on: December 25, 2007, 03:37:21 PM »

I'm almost in complete agreement with DR Matt H about SWEENEY TODD.
The audience I was in, and I, were indeed laughing at Mrs. Lovett's jokes - and it was a sparse audience, yet attentive.
I believe that one of the reasons the film is drawing such a diverse reaction is that it is a film which requires the audience to PAY ATTENTION.  To get the lyrics, to get the jokes, to get the subtlety, attention must be paid - and most of today's audiences don't want to pay attention, they want the instant gratification of a popcorn movie.  SWEENEY TODD is a lot of things, but, popcorn it isn't!

There are a few things I missed from the stage show, and I'm not so sure that "God That's God" works as well without a chorus.

Still, it's not a movie which takes place in the pupil of Toby's eye, nor is it a static filmed musical, the leads are the appropriate ages not a generation too old for their roles.

SWEENEY TODD is now my favorite Tim Burton film - it's his vision, but, it enhances the brilliance of Sondheim's music and lyrics without reverting to tricks to make a film musical sing.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: December 25, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »

I think HAIRSPRAY and DREAMGIRLS were much more for mainstream audiences.  I think that regular people who enjoy musicals could easily love those.

I actually like most things that i see.  And while i did enjoy SWEENEY TODD i left disappointed.  And I love this show.  I do think that something that DR JOSE (i believe) said is true. If you are a fan of Tim Burton's style of movies that will affect how you feel here.

I will say one thing that bothered me. The stark make-up.  I was completely distracted by the white make-up painted on Johnny Depp (and Helena's) faces. Did not like this at all.

One thing i did like though was Anthony. At first he struck me as not who i would have thought of to play this part. But he totally won me over (especially his singing).

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: December 25, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »

There were people at the theatre at 1pm today. But there were HUGE line-ups for most movies at 3:30pm. Wow i forgot Christmas was such a big day for movies here.

I'm guessing some of it was due to them honoring the regular Tuesday price (which is $5).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up