Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LONG NIGHTS  (Read 24879 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE LONG NIGHTS
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »

Since our favorite movie just happens to be a war movie, this is an easy pick.

CASABLANCA

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »

DR Elmore, I'm very excited to hear about your closing!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »

You know, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA is my favorite film of all time, and I never thought of it as a war movie. . .

A couple of others have struck my fancy:
HEAVEN KNOWS, MISTER ALLISON
FATHER GOOSE
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2008, 10:01:40 AM »

It is my turn to watch Sherlock & make sure he doesn't scratch his face.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2008, 10:02:21 AM »

I wrote a very difficult e-mail earlier, to my father.

He had written, in reply to an e-mail I sent him yesterday, and told me that he was thinking very seriously about voting for Proposition 8.  I had to write back, and explain to him why voting against the proposition was better.

It's so easy to get in the mindset where these things are self-evident.  They aren't.  We tend to forget that fact.  Sometimes they really do need to be explained.

We also tend to forget that we are a nation divided, often split down the middle.  And we forget to show those we disagree with respect, instead falling into the pit of callous name-calling.  And all sides are guilty of these things.

So I wrote him, very seriously, why I believe he should vote against Proposition 8.  And I hope he will listen and take what I've told him with him to the poll, before he pulls that lever.

And I could kick myself in the pants for not having written what I wrote earlier.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2008, 10:10:42 AM »

I will allow those who need to get to work to vote before I head to my voting venue.

Ditto.  I have all day to vote, so I will wait until the masses are working before I take Toby down to the polls.  I will teach him about voting from a young age. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2008, 10:14:34 AM »

My first election involved voting for either Quisp or Quake.  I chose Quisp, who won.  Things really didn't change except Quake got thinner, which was alright for him I suppose.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2008, 10:29:10 AM »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2008, 10:31:28 AM »

-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2008, 10:36:42 AM »

Back from the long jog and various other things.  There are, at least in the City of Studio and environs, no lines at all at any polling place.

td

• td
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2008, 10:54:49 AM »

Has bk swept the election yet?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »

BK would never sweep an election.

He'd use a Bissell.

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2008, 10:59:09 AM »

He'd use a Bissell.

;D

Or a Hoover (but he's never been to England so that might go over his head)  ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »

We're STILL on page four?  I'm thinking about my restaurant craving - it's a bit of a slog to get there, but I'm thinking about it.

Ben

« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2008, 11:00:46 AM »

I'm snacking on Hershey's version of Candy Corn. It's OK but I'm not impressed enough to get it again.

I did have a Butterfinger Crisp this morning. Someone keeps a pumpkin full of Halloween candy on her desk and since I had to go upstairs for a meeting I stopped at her desk and partook. It was good (better than the Hershey Candy Corn)

Ben

« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2008, 11:01:21 AM »

I'm about to being listening to Desmond Carrington on BBC 2 (The Music Goes Round).

td

• td
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2008, 11:08:19 AM »

He'd use a Bissell.

;D

Suck-up.  ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!

So, I wondered if there was period of time today the cable guy was going to show and I called Time Warner; I was told my appointment was tomorrow at noon, which is not what the young lady told me on Saturday: today at 2 pm.

The next time to deal with this? Saturday 12-4. Goddam it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2008, 11:30:03 AM »

Just another reason I loathe and despise Time-Warner. They are a scum-sucking unregulated monoply that provides service at a level below the most muck-filled sewer and if they went out of business tomorrow I, for one, would stand on a rooftop and cheer to the skies.

Just my two cents  ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2008, 11:31:42 AM »

How many times on AS THE WORLD TURNS in the past twelve months has some demented woman cried rape after being turned down in her attempts to seduce someone? Is this storyline overused? Ridiculous!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »

I shoulda stayed on CNN.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2008, 11:46:49 AM »

I just voted... for Robert Carlyle.

The vote is being taken at The Doctor Who Forum, and the question is who should play the Doctor next, since current Doctor David Tennant will be stepping down from the role after the 2009 specials.

Hey, this stuff is serious!  A lot hangs on the casting of the role!

Steven Moffat, who will be taking over as exec producer of the show, has stated previously that he'd like to see someone older in the role.  Carlyle is 47, ten years older than Tennant.

He's goofy-looking, which works better in the role than suave and sharp.  (Even Jon Pertwee was kinda goofy.  Peter Davison was too clean in his lines, and never really worked for me.)

He's English.  OK, Scottish, still counts, he's from Great Britain.

And (and this is a rule I don't think many people realize exists) his first name is different from that of any other actor who has played the Doctor.  Last names can double (there have been two Bakers), but the first name is always different.

If I could have voted twice, I was thinking, maybe, Rhys Ifans, but he might be a little too strange.

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2008, 11:52:38 AM »

Good news.

I just got a brief e-mail from Dad.  He said I got to him in time, and sent his thanks.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »

Der B is up from his nap.  It's time for us to head to the polling site, in our case the fire station right across the highway.

Hasta.

Michael

« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2008, 11:59:04 AM »

I just voted... for Robert Carlyle.

The vote is being taken at The Doctor Who Forum, and the question is who should play the Doctor next, since current Doctor David Tennant will be stepping down from the role after the 2009 specials.

Hey, this stuff is serious!  A lot hangs on the casting of the role!

Steven Moffat, who will be taking over as exec producer of the show, has stated previously that he'd like to see someone older in the role.  Carlyle is 47, ten years older than Tennant.

He's goofy-looking, which works better in the role than suave and sharp.  (Even Jon Pertwee was kinda goofy.  Peter Davison was too clean in his lines, and never really worked for me.)

He's English.  OK, Scottish, still counts, he's from Great Britain.

And (and this is a rule I don't think many people realize exists) his first name is different from that of any other actor who has played the Doctor.  Last names can double (there have been two Bakers), but the first name is always different.

If I could have voted twice, I was thinking, maybe, Rhys Ifans, but he might be a little too strange.

;D

I hope that they pay David Tennant big bucks to stay on. I think he is the best Doctor of all. The writing for his term season 2 & 3 have been top notch and he has been able to shine especially in the two part story from season  3 where he played the school teacher who didn't remember he was the doctor. Emmy level performance, but he would never have been nominated because of the type of show it is.
Never stop dreaming.

singdaw

« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »

I just got a brief e-mail from Dad.  He said I got to him in time, and sent his thanks.

Good job, DR SWW!     :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2008, 12:00:03 PM »

I filled out my ballot last night and dropped it off this morning.  I got an "I Voted" sticker! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of war movies either and I'm assuming when we're talking war we're talking like WWI or II, modern warfare...not necessarily historical films about wars...like the Civil War or Revolutionary or some ancient European war.  Nor films that depict civilians on the homefront or soldiers on leave.  I assume we're talking about soldiers in engaged in battles and modern warfare.

Of that ilk, however, I do have some that I'll watch over and over again:

PATHS OF GLORY
THE GREAT ESCAPE
THE DIRTY DOZEN
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
GRAND ILLUSION

I forgot Grand Illusion. One of the great films of all time and is my father's all time favorite film. Brilliant on all levels.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2008, 12:01:27 PM »

It is a lot nicer today in Montreal.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up