Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TELLER OF TALES  (Read 28947 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TELLER OF TALES
« on: August 09, 2004, 11:59:37 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've told the tales, the tales have told you and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home.  To it, you tellers of tales.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 12:00:15 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE TELLER OF TALES
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 12:14:18 AM »

Congrats on a good Dress, bk! (size 4 taffeta)

Fairy tales: I heard them all first in Hungarian. Fairy tales are actually pretty scary. Hansel and Gretel , Rumplestilskin, Snow White... Most of them have to do with people getting lost, orphaned, eaten or stranded. Shudder. But fun.
Children's Books: The Freddy the Pig series. I still belong to the Friends of Freddy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 12:14:52 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 12:18:23 AM »

I forgot to mention the one elderly gent who came up to me and shook my hand and said, "How wonderful to have a revue like they used to do them - one good song after another."  That's a wonderful complement because that's exactly what I wanted the show to be.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 12:31:59 AM »

I grew up in a wold of Enid Blyton books which I loved.
I did have the usual fairy tales - but probably the "softened" versions. I didn't read them as they were writ until much much later.
My favourte "fairy" story is the far more recent "The Thief Of Always" by the wonderful Clive Barker. Very much the Bros Grimm take on story telling.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 12:33:12 AM »

I so hope that everyone breaks the appropriate legs for the "What Ifs" BK. Would love to be there.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 12:34:53 AM »

And to conclude my mini fenzy - I spent a delightful 40+ minutes with the charming Ben today.  The time went so fast.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 12:36:30 AM »

I'm tired but wired.  Or am I wired but tired?  I should go to bed right this very minute but can't - not quite yet.  I do have a phoner interview at nine-thirty for the show, which I must be alert for, but when one is both tired and wired sometimes wired wins.  

Michael

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 03:34:23 AM »

Favorite stories

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Noddie books were also available in Canada, but I don't think they are PC today. But never saw the Golliwog as anything more than just another character.

The first two books I also had on LP unedited. Alice was read by Cyril Ritchard. The cover's were the original illustrations. Don;t remember anything about the Wizard other than the original Sam Goody helped my parents with the selection
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 03:36:06 AM »

Ok folks here are the photos

First of all here is the outside of Joe Allens. Perhaps the only real NY restaurant ever to be featured in a Broadway musical.

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 03:37:33 AM »

Here is a solo picture of DR Elmoore (Larry Moore) who you wouldn't know wasn't feeling a 100%
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 03:38:30 AM »

Here is a picture of DR Ben who forgot to tell DR TD and I that it was his anniversary!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 03:39:35 AM »

Here is a picture of Tony Evita
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 03:40:40 AM »

here is a picture of Larry, Curly and Moe
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 03:41:49 AM »

Now a group shot taken by a dear fellow Joe Allener
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 03:50:35 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 03:43:45 AM »

Morning all!  One thing about those meds--I slept like a stone and am well rested this morning.  By this afternoon I shall be back to the "stone age"  (or should that be "stoned age")  but right now I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed.   :)

I'm so happy for the cast/crew of What If!  Good job all!  I just wish I could be there to see it.  

Favorite Fairy Tale.  I have many but one of the ones that made an impact on me when I was growing up was the one about "Salt".  The king with 3 daughters and he wanted to leave his kingdom to one of them.  He asked each what they thought of him.  The first said he was the apple of her eye, the second said he was the sun in her sky, the third said he was the salt in her food!  He didn't like that and threw her out of his kingdom.  

To make a long story short,  the two who were left caused a civil war that tore the entire kingdom apart and the king was tossed out on his butt.

The daughter who he had thrown out had done well for herself and married a prince (of course).  The king was a begger at her door when she let him in.  

She ordered that he be fed but no salt was to be put in his food.  When he complained that the food didn't taste good, the lesson was learned.

That's the quick version but I always remembered that story.

Now that my tale is told, I have to go to work!  

Have a wonderful day all and good vibes to those who need them!   :)

You must have just posted those pictures, Michael.  I didn't see them when I started this post.  Who are all those handsome guys in front of Joe Allen?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 03:45:57 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 03:43:58 AM »

Larry and David Rogers. David is a trumpeter extraordinary. He has played on several BK recordings including Liz Callaway's Anywhere I Wonder.  He is currently on the pit for The Producers and on Sunday was playing with Tito Puente Jr's band
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 03:45:15 AM »

Tony and DR Janet at the backstage door of The Richard Rodgers theater. Returning to their bygones days of Side Show
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2004, 03:46:09 AM »

And now Tony with Mr. Hugh Jackman in his finale costume from The Boy from Oz
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 03:47:47 AM »

Another celebrity sighting. One of the stars of the Men in Black films.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 03:48:36 AM »

Here is the What If? Poster
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2004, 03:51:25 AM »

Lovely photos!  Thanks MS!  

And yes thanks for correcting me DR RLP....it was David AMRAM who wrote the score for The Manchurian Candidate.....original!

Hmmmmmmmmm....sounds like the show went well...and I am sure it will get better and better!  You don't want to peak too early!  That's what our director Vickie always tells us!  Anyway....

I was always afraid of the Three Billy Goats Gruff....because I was afraid of trolls under bridges!  I always liked Cinderella and Snow White because they had happy endings, and Sleeping Beauty because I liked the movie.

My very favorite fairy tale was the Princess and the Pea!  Imagine discovering that you are royalty after all!!

Not sure, again, if I will have computer access until after rehearsal....so if not have a great day!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2004, 03:52:49 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week.

Ms Hayes with Mr Richard Garland (ex of Beverly) in Roger Corman's THE UNDEAD filmed in an old supermarket on Sunset and at the Witch's House in Beverly Hills.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2004, 04:41:36 AM »

Thanks for the great photos, Michael.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 06:00:39 AM »

Ditto, Michael. I'm glad TD was able to join Hugh in the finale. Mr. Jackman is so nice to pick people out of the audience to join him on stage :-)

Larry, your solo picture looks great.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2004, 06:14:58 AM »

I enjoyed the Uncle Wiggly books and later the Bobsey Twins.  And of course all the Dick and Jane books.

Last week we were discussing the suitability of Tracy Ullman as Winifred for the television version of ONCE UPON A MATTRESS.  I think a much better casting is an upcoming production in San Francisco with Lea daLaria.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

td

• td
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2004, 06:28:16 AM »

Ditto, Michael. I'm glad TD was able to join Hugh in the finale. Mr. Jackman is so nice to pick people out of the audience to join him on stage :-)

Larry, your solo picture looks great.

Not to mention the fact that Hugh "played" with another Anthony all through the evening. . .Anthony from Eastern Australia was sitting in a box all by himself, shoeless and having a blast!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2004, 06:52:33 AM »

BK, DR Jose, and others CONGRATS on a great dress!

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2004, 06:53:34 AM »

Re: What IF

Is there a program or song order we can see?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2004, 07:16:08 AM »

TOD:  My favorite story as a child was Hansel and Gretle.  For some reason, their plight of being lost inthe woods and their encounter with the witch fascinated me to no end.  I had several different storybook versions--my particular favorite was done with a modern (for the early 60s) setting.

Another book I liked was Dr. Suess's One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish--complete silly nonsense that made me laugh out loud.  I also often read a book called 365 Bedtime Stories, which was actually a daily look at the lives of a group of children who lived on a dead-end street.  It had a sort of soap opera-ish feel to it that appealed to me even then.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2004, 07:17:50 AM »

BK, I am very happy that things are going so well with WHAT IF?  :D

I see that it closes Sept. 18th! I will just miss it as I am planning on travelling down to L.A. October 2 and 3rd (if the budget allows) to attend the Ray Courts Show in Burbank! Perhaps it will be held over a few more weeks!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up