Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ZONKED NOTES  (Read 16964 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE ZONKED NOTES
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2004, 09:20:57 PM »

...PAGE SIX!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2004, 09:21:24 PM »

I saw one of the three worst Broadway musicals I've ever seen tonight, pure tedium from start to finish.  I appreciated the brief nudity, and that's about it.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2004, 09:22:38 PM »

I rhink I've invented a new word.
...What was the musical and who was nude?

Jed

« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2004, 09:32:24 PM »

Media check...

DVD - So I Married An Axe Murderer
VHS - tape to record The Manchurian Candidate off PBS tonight
CD - Natalie Cole Stardust
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2004, 09:34:58 PM »

I saw one of the three worst Broadway musicals I've ever seen tonight, pure tedium from start to finish.  I appreciated the brief nudity, and that's about it.
Talk about wanting to have it both ways!  If it's nudity, it really should be nudity.  If they're wearing briefs, then they ain't nude.  Producers will try to get away with anything these days.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2004, 10:09:01 PM »

For Mary Poppins and disney music fans!

Infos posted by HOPEMAX at www.magicmusic.net

"Hi, I normally just lurk, but I did attend the NFFC convention.  I'm not sure there is as much info about the DISNEYLAND set as you would like.  Randy Thornton spent a lot of time talking and playing snippets from Mary Poppins.  Here are what I have from my notes, I hope I haven't messed anything up too badly.  I wrote this for another Disney board, so some of the stuff I explain for them.

First, Randy started talking about the Wonderland Music Project.  If you visit the 20th century music shop, at Disneyland you will find some kiosks where you can order music.  Randy's goal is to get everything that was ever released on vinyl on those kiosks so you can get them on CD.  The covers on the CD's will look like the original album covers, the labels on the CD will look like the labels on the original albums, the original product numbers, etc.

Eventually, these kiosks will also be made available at WDW and hopefully the World of Disney stores.  The plan is to add approximately 5 titles per quarter, the kiosks opened with 50 titles.  The next two quarters will be light on park stuff because they focused on the Storytelling Albums, since they are are easier to produce, so Randy could focus on...

The Mary Poppins 40th Anniversary 2-Disc set. 

They've been trying to get this project off the ground for 15 years.  And one day at work, when Randy was working in the tape room he came across a reel called "Mary Poppins pre-demo."  Mary Poppins, was Randy's high school band teacher's favorite movie, and he was the one who taught Randy how to edit and clean up tapes.  And if he could get a great MP soundtrack made, that would be kinda a way to say, "Thanks."  So when his bosses came by and asked what they should do, Randy said Mary Poppins.  The boss wasn't too sure, they had done a soundtrack before, hadn't done too well, (Randy said, of course not it was a bad vinyl pressing and the cover art made Julie Andrews look like a dancing girl) they would need to do something to make it special to get it approved by management.  Randy pulled out the pre-demo and said, "Does anyone know that this is here?"  No one did, including the Sherman Brothers.  So that became the impetus for the new project.

So they still had this stuff to work with.  And then one day, Randy was with Dick Sherman and Dick brought out 6 reels, 7 hours of tapes of the early story meetings with Walt, P.L. Travers, Dick & Bob Sherman and a few other top people. 

On the second CD will have 41 minutes of these meetings.  All the songs that didn't make the film, like the compass sequence.  There is a 12 minute interview with Dick Van Dyke, Julie Andrews, Sherman Bros and Irwin Kostal (arranger and conductor) done by the Hollywood Spotlight Microphone, the radio spots, the Sherman Brothers interview that did make it on the restored soundtrack, snippets from the orchestra sessions.  The first CD will have 26 new minutes of score added to the soundtrack.  The soundtrack now comes in at a total of 79 min 48 sec which gives them 12 sec to spare on the CD.  Definetely a jam-packed album.

A few tidbits:  Cherry Tree Lane is based on Mrs. Travers house, 90% of the whistling in the movie was done by Julie Andrews, Dick Sherman played the Kazuu in the Jolly Holiday sequence and Irwin Kostal did the softshoe sounds for the penguins.

Randy spent so much time playing tidbits from the album and chatting about Mary Poppins, that he ran quickly through the rest of his stuff.

Walt Disney Records will be celebrating its 50th anniversary next year.  It started because it occured to Roy O. Disney that they didn't need to have to work with some other label, "they should just do this ourselves."  They are writing a book on the history of Disneyland / Walt Disney Records.  And next April an retrospective exhibit of the history of Walt Disney records will be opening at Paul Allen's Experience Music Project in Seattle. 

He talked only briefly about the CD set that will be coming out for DL's 50th birthday.  Bruce Gordon and Stacia Martin will be doing the booklet.  And that they did take some liberties with the material to "fluff it up."  Instead of just having the spiel for the Mark Twain, or an instrumental piece you might hear in the queue,  they layered the two together.  "So it didn't sound like school."
There's the six disc version and there will be a 2-disk version for the more casual listener.  It will be the same stuff as on the larger set, but snippets instead of full ride-thru.  Things I remember him mentioning:  the Barker Bird in Adventureland, a new HM ride-thru, Country Bears shows, CoP.  Silly me, I  thought I could remember everything and didn't take better notes."

Tomovoz

« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2004, 10:31:29 PM »

Fascinating reading DR François - I assume you have your pre-order in already. I am looking forward to those extra songs.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2004, 10:41:04 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  And yes, zonked, which you'll read about in tomorrow's notes which I will of course be writing tonight.  Eating Cheese-Its right now and reading your deliciously delicious postings.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2004, 10:43:23 PM »

Mmmm... Cheese-Its...  *hungry*

Tomovoz

« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2004, 10:45:16 PM »

My last media check for the day:  "Listen To My Heart" by the wonderful Nancy La Mott.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2004, 10:45:50 PM »

Ya know, I don't think I've posted at all today.  Not sure how that happened!

I just got back from synagogue.  We had a special service this evening marking our Rabbi's tenth anniversary with the congregation.  It was a very nice service and now I feel spiritually recharged.

As they say in the South, Shabbat Shalom, y'all.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2004, 11:03:37 PM »

Is it just me, or does John Edwards look like he could have been played by John Ritter?

I think it's the hair.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2004, 11:07:10 PM »

Just woke up a few minutes ago. I don't remember falling asleep. What a waste of an evening!
Would you believe I, too, was eating Cheeze-Its earlier tonight? DD left a box here and it was just staring at me and i was hungry and the rest is history. I've now O-D'd on Cheeze-Its. Okay, gotta phone the bank and go to bed. Or phone the bed and go to bank... One of the two.

Panni

« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2004, 11:24:01 PM »

Just saw on the news that Nick Cage has married a 20 year old former sushi waitress.

Panni

« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2004, 11:24:28 PM »

...Hope she doesn't get a raw deal.

Panni

« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2004, 11:24:57 PM »

...Sorry.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2004, 11:40:48 PM »

We'll forgive you, if you dance!   ;D 8)

Dance of the 7 figs perhaps.

If that's what it takes (I hope this works)!:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] [/move]

LOL - definitely no offence taken George :D
Thanks!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2004, 11:42:52 PM »

No, no, not figs - raisins.  Ah, liasons.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up