Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIED FOODS  (Read 25152 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:FRIED FOODS
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2004, 07:44:44 AM »

On the subject of fried foods, I have three words:

DR Joy, I have four, that I can't believe I forgot to mention before:

Arthur Treacher's Hush Puppies!

Or (also four words):

Hush Puppies in general!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2004, 07:48:32 AM »

Ah!  A Page Two Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]MAZURKA![/move][/color]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 07:54:17 AM by Stuart »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2004, 07:49:29 AM »

Ditto. If it's fried, it's GOT to be good. I ate WAY too much fried food, but one of the hazards of living in the South is that it's a part of most menus and ingrained into the brains of most of our best cooks here.

Fried chicken and I have always had a very close, personal relationship. I have a deep fat fryer here and that's the only way I prepare the chicken for myself. I can eat any style of fried chicken, but I'll only cook it one way.

Fried shrimp is probably my second favorite fried food, but I don't cook it for myself.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in the South, we have what they lovingly call "fish camps." Here you can get fried fish and seafood of all types along with fried chicken, and of course potatoes, onion rings, and hush puppies all fried to golden perfection. It probably lessens your life span by a year or two to go to a fish camp and eat one of their totally fried meals (well, they do serve cole slaw on the side, not fried), but you will die with a smile on your face.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2004, 07:53:22 AM »

For the last year or two, frying turkeys at Thanksgiving has been a BIG fad. I've never had deep fat fried turkey, but I'd be curious as to what it tasted like.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2004, 07:55:48 AM »

A casualty of the Broadway season. Caroline, or Change is closing August 29th according to Playbill On-Line

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/87738.html
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 07:56:22 AM by Ben »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2004, 07:57:41 AM »

I hope today's topic encourages DR Jason to make an appearance. And speaking of AWOLs, where is DR Robin?

DR MattH, what's your "one way" of preparing fried chicken?

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2004, 08:04:04 AM »

Well, deep fried after soaking in a batter with secret ingredients. Sometimes I'll flour it, sometimes not, depending on how much crust I want. But it MUST be deep fried.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2004, 08:07:12 AM »

Did y'all know that, in addition to the already playing Broadway: The Golden Years documentary, that there is a similar work being broadcast on PBS this fall called Broadway: The American Musical.  I remember when we were talking about The Golden Years that I had thought that there was an extended documentary also in the works and this one appears to be it.  It's a six part series that's due to run in October.  Here's the link .
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2004, 08:16:15 AM »

For the last year or two, frying turkeys at Thanksgiving has been a BIG fad. I've never had deep fat fried turkey, but I'd be curious as to what it tasted like.

Dr Matt, deep fried turkey is so moist and tender that turkey prepared any other way will taste dry to you.  Of the three times that I've been invited to dinner where it was served, there was nothing left but bones and cartlidge.  By all means try it when you can.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2004, 08:20:06 AM »

I forgot about corn dogs.  I haven't had one in over fifteen years but I do love them and may now have to reintroduce myself.

I said quite loudly that if they moved Caroline to Broadway it would close in three or four months.  Producers get talked into the most amazing things when it's clear to anyone with an unbiased eye that they will lose their entire investment.  I don't know when it all changed but it seems producers ENJOY losing money now.  They keep shows open because their ego precludes them from closing things right away - they just would rather lose a million more than lose face.  In the old days, had Caroline made it to Broadway (it wouldn't have) it would have closed in a day or a week.  Of course, today's Internet chat room rebuttal is, "They should keep it open because it's work for the actors and crew."  That, of course, is the most ridiculous rationale of all - nothing would or should ever close according to these wags.  So, if they had their way we could all book tickets to Kelly.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2004, 08:30:09 AM »

Funny - I didn't think of desserts in terms of fried foods. I love apple fritters.
Tempura didn't occur to me either. Yummy.
And my mother's Hungarian fried chicken was the best.
Recipe: first you steal a chicken... (an OLD joke)
However, it's still too early for me to think about fried foods. Except apple fritters. Apple fritters and coffee - an excellent breakfast.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2004, 08:31:17 AM »

Donuts are fried, aren't they.  I love me my donuts.  And beignets.  I love me my beignets.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2004, 08:43:04 AM »

Hmmmmm.....Virginia Grey was also in the movie that made MR BK lose his flip flop at (I think) the Wiltern Theatre.....TARGET:EARTH!!!

I liked her especially in BACK STREET as Susan Hayward's sister and in MADAME X as Lana Turner's friend Mimsy: "You have to come to my party, Holly, you'll throw my seating off!"

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2004, 08:43:58 AM »

Speaking of missing DRs, where is Lulu?

Regarding CAROLINE... despite its flaws, there is much to admire in this show.  The big problem is that it is "through sung" and the connecting recatative is not as interesting as the main music (especially on CD).  I would not have seen this if it had not moved to Broadway, and I am glad I did get to see it. It's just a show with little commercial appeal.   And it is no KELLY.  Mufti made the mistake of doing KELLY a few years ago,and it is obvious why that show closed on opening night.  Bad book and bad score.  At least Tonya Pinkins still has her day job on the soap so she won't have to go back on welfare.  She is a very talented lady, and I'm sure it won'tbe long before she is back on Broadway, hopefully in a more commercial vehicle.  Actually, she would make a good replacement for Donna Murphy when Donna leaves WONDERFUL TOWN.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2004, 08:45:01 AM »

Donuts can be fried, but there are other ways of making them as well (though they aren't as good).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2004, 08:47:25 AM »

My mother's fried chicken is, of course, the "best" I've ever eaten.  I fry chicken the same way she does, but it's not the same.

I soak the chicken pieces (sans skin) in buttermilk overnight.  When I'm ready to start frying, I remove the pieces and let them drain on paper towels.  I salt and pepper the chicken.  I take a plastic bag (an empty bread bag does the trick), put in Bisquick, add a few pieces of chicken, gather the bag at the top, and shake the bag for all I'm worth.  I fry in a chicken fryer (a deep frying pan) starting with medium heat, browning on both sides.  I turn heat down to medium-low and let cook thoroughly -- about 10 minutes each side.  It's done when you get a clear discharge from the chicken piece when inserting fork tines.

Sometimes I add corn meal to the Bisquick...adds an interesting flavor to the crust.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 08:49:13 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2004, 08:51:19 AM »

I liked her especially in BACK STREET as Susan Hayward's sister and in MADAME X as Lana Turner's friend Mimsy: "You have to come to my party, Holly, you'll throw my seating off!"

Two of my favorite movies!

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2004, 08:53:28 AM »

I remember reading last November that a woman burned down her house because she tried to deep fry her turkey inside on her stove top. There was a BIG article in the newspaper about how it should only be fried outdoors.

I look forward to having it one day.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2004, 08:55:33 AM »

I've mentioned this before here, but in CHarlotte there is a carry out restaurant called Price's Chicken Coop that makes the best fried chicken I've ever eaten, and that includes my mother's version and mine. It's scrumptuous. They also have fried fish (trout and catfish, I think), but a chicken dinner comes with fried potatoes (round dots, not long and thin), a couple of hush puppies, cole slaw, and a yeast roll. It's to die for.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2004, 08:58:03 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 08:58:32 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2004, 08:58:15 AM »

DRSTUART - both of these Ross Hunter specials have pleasures that movie-goers nowadays are completely denied!

Isn't it wonderful in BACK STREET when Susan (as rae smith) has an outfit that matches her draperies?  Does she change her curtains when she changes her clothes?  Does she only wear that outfit in that room?  So many questions!!!  And boy is Vera Miles mean to her....whew!   But the ending ALWAYS makes me cry because Susan Hayward is so good!!!

And MADAME X is another one that always makes me cry.  What a combination of story and music and design...oh and acting.   Anyway who accuses Lana Turner of being old fashioned ought to take a look at the Gladys George version....  "If I were her son...I would want to know," says Keir Dullea to Lana Turner....not knowing...that he is...her own...son!  

I have to watch those movies again this weekend!

What are some of the DR's other favorite tear-jerkers...that you can watch while eating fried foods?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2004, 08:59:24 AM »

And this:

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2004, 09:01:34 AM »

DRLAURA....those of us stuck indoors today send you thanks!  Hmmmm...is there such a thing as fried pelican.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2004, 09:15:30 AM »

Tearjerkers? Two that appear on my list are I WANT TO LIVE & A STAR IS BORN.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2004, 09:36:32 AM »

DRSTUART - both of these Ross Hunter specials have pleasures that movie-goers nowadays are completely denied!
And boy is Vera Miles mean to her....whew!   But the ending ALWAYS makes me cry because Susan Hayward is so good!!!

I don't claim to be any great student of film, but I know what I like, and I like Douglas Sirk (or Douglas Sirk-ish) overblown Universal sudsers.

That being said, two of my favorite bits of cinematography are:
1)  Vera Miles' French-heeled pump putting the "pedal to the metal" in BACK STREET, and

2) Dottie Malone doing the Dance to beat all Dances (while her father is dying below) in WRITTEN ON THE WIND.  (Yes, Dannnnsssssssse, Dottie, dannnnssssse!)

In a bit of updated synchronicity, one of my favorite recent shots like that was the empty Miami pool in FAR FROM HEAVEN, the homage to those Universal pics.

As for tearjerkers, that's a long list, coming from one who cries at commercials.  But:

NOW, VOYAGER
STELLA (yes, the Midler one)
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT

would top the list.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2004, 09:38:57 AM »

Personally, my favorite color is fried.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2004, 09:47:05 AM »

Ah, I forgot about fried trout...had that a lot when I was a kid out camping with my family! Yumm!!

Favorite tearjerkers:

the Bollywood movie Anand. I don't think I have ever cried as much at a movie in my life!

All that Heaven Allows (the scene when Gloria Talbott tells her mom she is getting married to David Janssen)

A Child is Born (the ending)

Imitation of LIfe (the Lana Turner version; the funeral)

That fairly recent Maureen O'Hara TV movie that I think is called THE LAST DANCE (and which I would give both arms for a 1st generation copy of since my sister accidently taped over it when I loaned it to her!!!!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2004, 09:47:07 AM »

I'm back with my new do.  I look rather boyish in a non-boyish way.

Best fried chicken I've ever had: The Golden Lamb in Lebanon, Ohio.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2004, 09:59:23 AM »

I, too, love Ross Hunter's "Imitation of Life" -- when the funeral scene comes on I blubber hopelessly knowing that lady got the funeral of her dreams, including the horse-drawn hearse...and when Susan Kohner runs to the hearse and declares the dead woman to be her mother, my heart breaks over and over and over.

I saw this in a theater when I was a kid.  My mother and a friend of hers blubbered while I only sniffled a bit.  But now.............look out!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 10:00:59 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2004, 10:29:17 AM »

Glad you liked the pelican photos. They were a wonderful sight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up