Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TELLER OF TALES  (Read 28954 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE TELLER OF TALES
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2004, 04:04:16 PM »

Nothing to do with the show, of course, just bothersome personal crap.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2004, 04:11:54 PM »

Had a spot of bad news this afternoon - will have to deal with it after we open, but, of course, could use all the excellent vibes and xylophones we can get in this neck of the woods.

Sending a whole #&%@ing percussion section your way!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2004, 04:13:57 PM »

My musical director for AND THE WORLD GOES 'ROUND told me that at the end of a performance, his fingers and forearms were severely aching from so many notes to play, especially since the bass and drums were the only other instruments on-stage. He carried the show, and it was daunting.

My hat's off to you, DR Jose.

Lucky for Jose - he gets paid by the note 8)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2004, 04:16:47 PM »

A BIT OF ELITIST LEVITY
[/b]

Leroy ...

A woman walks into the downtown welfare office, trailed by 15 kids.

"WOW," the social worker exclaims, "Are they ALL YOURS???"

"Yep they are all mine," the flustered mother sighs, having heard that question a thousand times before.  She says, "Sit down Leroy." All the children rush to find seats.

"Well," says the social worker, "then you must be here to sign up. I'll need all your children's names."

"This one's my oldest--he is Leroy."

"OK, and who's next?"

"Well, this one he is Leroy, also."

The social worker raises an eyebrow but continues. One by one, through the oldest four, all boys, all named Leroy. Then she is introduced to the eldest girl, named Leighroy!  "All right," says the caseworker, "I'm seeing a pattern here...Are they ALL named Leroy?"

Their mother replied, "Well, yes--it makes it easier. When it is time to get them out of bed and ready for school, I yell, 'Leroy!' And when it's time for dinner, I just yell 'Leroy!' and they all come running.' And if I need to stop the kid who's running into the street, I just yell 'Leroy' and all of them stop. It's the smartest idea I ever had, naming them all Leroy."

The social worker thinks this over for a bit, then wrinkles her forehead and says tentatively, "But what if you just want ONE kid to come, and not the whole bunch?"

"I call them by their last names."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2004, 04:17:48 PM »

Oh great.  So now tonight I'll dream of hard drives and docking stations.

That reminds of something screenwriter Ernest Lehman confides in the documentary feature on the DVD of "North By Northwest" -- it has to do with the final scene, which he wrote as a train going into the distance.

Hitch used symbolism and showed the train rushing into a tunnel....Lehman said he wishes he'd thought of it, but it was pure Hitchcock.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2004, 04:19:09 PM »

A HOUSEKEEPER'S CREED

1. I don't do windows because... I love birds and don't want one to run into a clean window and get hurt.
(I am compassionate.)

2. I don't wax floors because... I am terrified a guest will slip, hurt themselves, I'll feel terrible and they may sue me.
(I am careful and poor.)

3. I don't mind the dust bunnies because... they are very good company.  I have named some of them, and they agree with everything I say.
(I am imaginative.)

4. I don't disturb cobwebs because... I want every creature to have a home of their own and my family loves spiders.
(This is actually not true, my family HATES spiders!!! but... I am kind.)

5. I don't Spring Clean because... I love all the seasons and don't want the others to get jealous.
(I am fair-minded.)

6. I don't plant a garden because... I don't want to get in God's way,  He is an excellent designer.
(I am courteous.)

7. I don't put things away because... my family will never be able to find them again.
(I am considerate.)

8. I don't do gourmet meals when I entertain because... I don't want my guests to stress out over what to make when they invite me over to dinner.
(I am thoughtful.)

9. I don't iron because... I choose to believe them when they say "permanent press".
(I am trusting.)

10. I don't stress much on anything because... "A-Type Personalities" die young and I want to stick around and become a wrinkled-up, crusty, old woman!!!  
(I am ornery.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2004, 04:19:22 PM »

Nothing to do with the show, of course, just bothersome personal crap.

Good feelings are moving down the coast from Oakland and seeking you out.  Positive thoughts abound.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »

Lucky for Jose - he gets paid by the note 8)

You laugh.

We're being fiddled, say violinists
AP, Berlin
Wednesday March 24, 2004
The Guardian

Violinists at a German orchestra are suing for a pay rise on the grounds that they play many more notes per concert than their musical colleagues - a litigation that the orchestra's director yesterday called "absurd".

The 16 violinists at the Beethoven Orchestra, in the former West German capital Bonn argue that they work more than their colleagues who play instruments including the flute, oboe and trombone.

The violinists also say that a collective bargaining agreement that gives bonuses to performers who play solos is unjust.

But the orchestra's director Laurentius Bonitz said it was unreasonable to compare playing a musical instrument with other jobs.

"The suit is ridiculous," Bonitz said in a telephone interview. "It's absurd."

He also argued that soloists and musicians in other leading roles - such as the orchestra's two oboe players - should perhaps make more money.

"Maybe it's an interesting legal question but musically, it's very clear to everyone," Bonitz said.

The case is scheduled to go before a labour judge later this year.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2004

Danise

« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2004, 04:21:22 PM »

Good vibes to you, Bruce, for whatever it is.  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

I remembered what I wanted to say!  I turned my T-shirt designs in today.  I will let you know which (if any) of them they pick.  I think I know which one they will go for but I don't want to say and jinx it.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2004, 04:22:23 PM »

Sort of like having sex with your laptop. (Feel free to run with this.)

DR Panni, taking this advice makes running, not to mention walking, nearly out of the question.

Jay

« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2004, 04:23:46 PM »

That reminds of something screenwriter Ernest Lehman confides in the documentary feature on the DVD of "North By Northwest" -- it has to do with the final scene, which he wrote as a train going into the distance.

Hitch used symbolism and showed the train rushing into a tunnel....Lehman said he wishes he'd thought of it, but it was pure Hitchcock.

Shall we discuss the sequence of repetitive opening of doors in Spellbound?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2004, 04:27:07 PM »

On my way to rehearsal.  I'll have a full report for you after tonight's show.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2004, 04:39:10 PM »

excellent vibes and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxylophones galore to BK

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2004, 04:40:46 PM »

THE UGLY DUCKLING
THE FROG KING
THE TWELVE DANCING PRINESSES
SNOW-WHITE AND ROSE RED
THE SHOEMAKER AND THE ELVES
SEVEN IN ONE BLOW
SIX SWANS  

The THREE LITTLE PIGS made me feel safe as I lived in a brick house. ;D

Convinced I would feel the pea under the mattresses the PRINCESS AND THE PEA was a favorite until I realized I would rather not be so delicate.

CINDERELLA was the fairy tale I loved and identified with the most. :)

Jane

« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2004, 04:44:32 PM »

DtM nice new avatar. :)

Michael Shayne great, wonderful and fun photos from the NY trip. :D

Danise good luck with the t-shirt design and good vibes one will be chosen.

Bruce sorry about your bad news- sending excellent vibes and xylophones your way.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2004, 04:53:16 PM »

Favorite children’s books:
BABAR
MADELINE
GRIMMS FAIRY TALES
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSON STORIES
AESOP’S FABLES

I also loved all the horse stories, THE BLACK STALLION, FLAME THE ISLAD STALLION, etc.

Most of the children’s books I read were later on.  In high school I discovered THE SECRECT GARDEN.

Matt H I agree with A WRINKLE IN TIME, a book my son gave me to read.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2004, 05:00:15 PM »

TOD

Favorite Children's Book:

der Brucer

(And thanks to you, BK, I now have an order in to a book-seller for this book for $98 so my grandkids can enjoy)

Ben

« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2004, 05:02:35 PM »

Vibes galore to the West Coast for BK

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Ben

« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2004, 05:04:25 PM »

Harold and the Purple Crayon

Babar

Curious George

I remember one line from a children's book that I loved but I can't find it anywhere. I've tried googling the line but to no avail. Ah, well some things are not meant to be repeated. Jonathan Wanathan Higgins McGee was the name of the character in the book.

Emily

« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2004, 05:11:14 PM »

Saw a bumper sticker for Emily:

GUN CONTROL
MEANS
USING BOTH HANDS

LOL Der Brucer.

I will give you gun-nutz well-deserved praise when it comes to crafting slogans (but of course - I will also disagree! :D)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2004, 05:11:22 PM »

CONTINUED GOOD HEALTH VIBES FOR ELMORE!

Danise

« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2004, 05:17:54 PM »

I was always an avid reader when I was a kid.  I owe that to my Mom because I can remember all of the little Golden books she used to sit and read to me until I learned to read on my own.

I loved the Red, Blue, Green, Etc storybooks and still have them.  I also remember that my parents never put any kind of restriction on what I chose to read.  I’ll never forget that I was in my very early teens or possibly twelve when I read, “My Wicked, Wicked Ways” by Errol Flynn.  It was, shall we say, an education.  

My Mom blames my nearsightedness on my “always having my nose in a book.”  I’m not sure how true that is but I don’t read nearly as much as I used to.  I have a book for my lunch at work but more often than not I get caught up in some conversation and the book takes me weeks to finish.  I could read on the bus as well but again, I have friends that I chat with.  

One is going to teach me how to knit.   I did know how but can’t quite figure it out again.  What a tangled thread…hummm that’s not quite right, is it?  Well, I am very good at making tangles.  You’ll have to give me that.

I have discovered something very, very bad.  We had them at a party at work the other day. They are called Mario Fancy Cocktail Onions.   They are a salt- aholic ‘s dream and worst night mare.  I can’t get enough of them!  Vinegar and salt.  Yum! I bought 3 bottles of them, ate a whole bottle in one sitting the other night and drank all the juice.  I’m eating bottle #2 as I type this.  If I don’t stop, I’m going to bloat big time from all of the salt but I can’t seem to stop myself. I keep telling myself, “Just one more.  Just one more!”
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2004, 05:22:58 PM »

Now I know why my eyesight is so bad-that nose in the book thing.  :D  All this time I thought I had damaged my body from walking into walls and off steps while having the book in my nose. ;D

Danise stop eating those onions!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2004, 05:24:20 PM »

Another childhood favorite was "Dickon Among the Indians" - the tale of a ship-wrecked English boy raised by the Lenape indians. The book is loaded with details of how the Indians lived on the East Coast (PA-NJ-DE) in the 18th Century. Filled with lots of line drawings and diagrams.

der Brucer (at least I can get this on Amazon)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2004, 05:27:44 PM »

I have discovered something very, very bad.  We had them at a party at work the other day. They are called Mario Fancy Cocktail Onions.   They are a salt- aholic ‘s dream and worst night mare.  I can’t get enough of them!  Vinegar and salt.  Yum! I bought 3 bottles of them, ate a whole bottle in one sitting the other night and drank all the juice.  I’m eating bottle #2 as I type this.  If I don’t stop, I’m going to bloat big time from all of the salt but I can’t seem to stop myself. I keep telling myself, “Just one more.  Just one more!”

They are best soaked over-night in Vermouth before adding them to your Martini ::)

der always-a-big-help Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2004, 05:30:39 PM »

My Mom blames my nearsightedness on my “always having my nose in a book.”  

That's what Moms say to girls. For boys the "You'll go blind" is reserved for other occasions.

der font-of-knowledge Bruce

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2004, 05:31:32 PM »

~Good vibes and xylophones to bk~

I can't even think of which fairy tale was my favorite. I think I enjoyed them all. One thing that caught me as I was reading bk's column was he kept using the word tale over and over again. I was trying to resist but I have bit of fun news. I am "slightly" obssessed with a musical trying to get to Broadway (A Tale of Two Cities) Playbill has covered it twice in two recent articles. I really wanted to go to one of the upcoming presentations but I have a prior commitment. (and there is the little matter of finding a way to New York.)  ;D Anyway there is a presentation August 19 and 20th at the Little Shubert in New York. The Playbill article today said they might release some tickets to the public. (It was to be an industry only presentation.) I am very happy because now some people I know who were interested in going may get to go. Ok I know it is sort of not that big but it excited me and makes me happy so I thought I'd share.  :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 05:37:55 PM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Jane

« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2004, 05:41:31 PM »

Joey that is a nice story and we now know a little more about you. :)

Danise

« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2004, 05:41:57 PM »

MMMMMM--what did you say, Jane?  Remember I don't hear so well these days!

I think I like my onions straight out of the bottle.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2004, 05:44:07 PM »

And my nose is stuck in a book!   :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up