Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NAME GAME  (Read 19491 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE NAME GAME
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2004, 10:06:59 AM »

And one for Rock Mahler.

Emily

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2004, 10:20:31 AM »

Am I the only person who when reading BK's "rock mahler" thought of "rock lobster"?

Ahhh phonemes :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 10:21:59 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2004, 10:29:06 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Whew!  I made it to the Afternoon... And I got a few hours of sleep.

I'm feeling a bit more level-headed about the whole mouse/mice situation.  At least it wasn't rats.  Yuck!

I do have one of those electronic, ultrasonic sound repellers and it actually does seem to help - at least in regards to bugs (spiders, roaches, crickets, etc.).  I almost bought another one to put in my room to help with the mice, but now that I've removed a "food source" I think that will do the most good.

The amount of "mess" I came across this morning most likely built up over the past couple of weeks, during the whole time I was gone in L.A.  This kind of stuff happens.  It was just a truly unpleasant thing to deal with at 4:00AM.  And at least it didn't smell - if that's a bright side to the whole situation.  And mouse droppings are small too.

DR elmoore - As for a possible move to NYC, it is still on the radar.  I currently have worked lined up through the end of February.  After Hallelujah, Baby closes...?? We shall see.  Some sort of move is in the works - I just feel it - and it will most likely be up to NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2004, 10:31:50 AM »

As for comic strips - I still try to read "Peanuts" - or "Classic Peanuts" as it's called now when I get a hold of a comics section.  When I was younger, I used to go through the comic sections - two inserts! - in the Washington Post, and I would read almost everything including "The Hints from Heloise" and do the "Jr. Jumble".
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2004, 10:36:56 AM »

Thanks to  Tab Tuesday Panni, RBT now has Do You Know the Way to Sal Jose running through his head!

SalJose, RBT wants to know if SalJose will be seeing James Earl Jones (AKA Rock - he seems like a Rock) and Leslie Uggams (hmmm, a Tuesday perhaps) in On Golden Pond? It's not one of RBT's favorite plays, but he does enjoy both of the actors and wonders how they will be in this play.

RBT is also trying to decide if he should spend $85 to see the new Sondheim review in limited performance at Carnegie Hall this week and next. All they have are $85 tickets. Perhaps the $35 tickets have sold out but RBT resents paying $85 for rear mezzanine seating.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2004, 10:41:19 AM »

And SS (Sal Simbulan) would like to thank all the DRs for the various posted excerpts and links to the other reviews for the 10Cs.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2004, 10:46:52 AM »

Now that Skippy Jay has determined his new moniker, he will embark upon his new career as a major rap artist.  (That is, if "rap artist" is conclusively determined to not be an oxymoron.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ben

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2004, 10:49:40 AM »

RBT now "gets" SS's new moniker and for the rest of the day will refer to him thusly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2004, 10:51:49 AM »

Skippy Jay?  Is he related to Skip E. Lowe?

Ben

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2004, 10:57:56 AM »

Or Skip E. Pea Nut?

Jay

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2004, 11:01:46 AM »

Skippy Jay was fascinated by last week's discussion of how "more Inge" rhymes with the supposedly unrhymable "orange."

At Dame Kiri Te Kanawa's recitial on Sunday, she sang a song by Hector Berlioz called "L'Ile inconnue," or "The Unknown island," which contains these lyrics:

J'ai poir lest une orange
Pour voile une aile d'ange...

which translates as

I have for ballast an orange,
for a sail, the wing of an angel...

So, his mind reeling with rhyming conundrums (conundra? conundri?), Skippy Jay's question for Ask BK Day is this:

When writing lyrics in this day and age, does the word "again" rhyme with "a pen" or "a pain?"

And when singing a song that rhymes "again" with "a pain," does one sing it as "a gain" (long A) to complete the rhyme, or as "a gen" (short E) to make it recognizable as it is spoken in common parlance?

Jay

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2004, 11:03:07 AM »

Skippy Jay is, without argument, completely and totally sui generis.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2004, 11:23:34 AM »

Question for BK and all--what are you favorite currently running comic strips?  What are your favorites from the past.  And which ones do you just stare at and go "Huh?"

I loved "Peanuts," "Garfield" and any Berkeley Breathed strips.  Now, I only read "Get Fuzzy."  I love this comic strip!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2004, 11:25:33 AM »

Good Not-So-Good Morning again...

UGH!

****POSSIBLE SKEEVE OUT, GROSS OUT ALERT WARNING****

I get out the vacuum cleaner, and start cleaning...  I open my closet and vacuum in there too... I move the small bookcase and vacuum...  I was just cleaning up anything that possibly might be there...  Unfortunately, I started looking behind other things in my room, and I think I saw "evidence" in a few other places...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2004, 11:28:22 AM »

When I was in Washington a couple of weeks ago to visit Julia Child's kitchen (and other Smithsonian exhibts) I noticed what a great comic section the Washington Post had (both weekday and Sunday).  There were strips I didn't even know were still being published any more as well as many of the more popular recent strips.  I was very impressed with the whole paper actually... it has the seriousness of the New York Times with the more fun features the Times doesn't bother with and it had none of the gossip or other tabloid garbage that the other NY papers have.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2004, 11:32:56 AM »

ALIAS SPOILER ALERT

ALIAS spoiler ALERT

It was an obvious cliffhanger to keep people guessing and wondering what she read.  I'm sure it will be good for a few episodes (the explanation) and then they'll just drop it and go on with what they were doing, which I hope doesn't get as silly as a few of these episodes were.  The reason I predicted the Sloane/dad plot twist was because of a look that Irina gave him.  And I think that may have been their original intention, but I think it would have probably painted them into a corner so they created the sister.  My feeling is the sister was a late addition - that originally they were thinking it was Sydney who was being the conduit.

It was sort of funny to me that you stopped on the episode where Sloane told the psychiatrist that he was Syd's father.  Then next episode he says he thinks he is her father.  Then after that it turns out he fathers her sister.

On the ABC website they say this about the ending:

"In Wittenberg, Syd opens the safe deposit box and finds a top secret document. She cries as she learns that Jack wasn't in prison after Irina betrayed him, that Vaughn's father William worked for him, and that he has documented her entire life, as well as Nadia's. Jack appears and says she was never supposed to have found these documents. "

Not sure if we were supposed to know any of this.  I guess I was wondering what you saw on those documents Syd was looking at when Jack came in and said she wasn't supposed to know.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2004, 11:40:07 AM »

I'm going to be Stone today, since Clay's been taken, I believe.

This morning, Page Six (of the NY Post?) had a blurb about how awful the 10 C's  was as a musical and how unintentionally funny it was.  I saw CARRIE, and that was very unintentionally funny as well.  Dear Friend BK, what do you think is the reason behind these moronic ideas for a musical?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2004, 11:42:03 AM »

Skippy Jay was fascinated by last week's discussion of how "more Inge" rhymes with the supposedly unrhymable "orange."

At Dame Kiri Te Kanawa's recitial on Sunday, she sang a song by Hector Berlioz called "L'Ile inconnue," or "The Unknown island," which contains these lyrics:

DR Jay, I worked on Kiri's Gershwin album.  Did she forget any melodies or words?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 11:43:54 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2004, 11:49:58 AM »

Hmmm, I have an interesting story.  I was almost hauled away by store security.

This is actually quite bizarre.

There is a store I frequent often (probably twice a week).  This is a huge chain store, and they have a section with jewelry.  I go to this one discount area, which has new jewelry discounted every week.  And they add to their discount (for instance one day it will be an extra 30% off or 40% off).

Anyhow when I went it was an extra 50% off. It is almost never an extra 50%.  So I decided to get something.  I am addicted to Guess jewelry.  But at $28-42 a pop, I try to wait for the discounts.

So I choose one item (it was 20$).  It had a tag that said $13.20. So it was supposed to be 50% off ($6.75).

Anyhow the guy scans it, and it scans at $5.50.  So he's happy and he gives me my total.

I ask him why he didn't take off the 50%. ANd he says that it is in the system.

Now I shop there a lot, and the discounts are not in the system.

I ask if he is sure. And he says yes.

So I ask him if he'd mind scanning a couple of other items from the rack. And they both scan at the price written on the tag.

So I ask him why those items weren't "in the system". And he says some items are and some aren't.

Okay this is total bs.

I told him I shopped there a lot and the discounts aren't in the system and I want my 50% off like the sale says.

He then tells me that I'm getting a great deal, since it was $5.50 and I should be paying $6.75.

I told him that wasn't the point.  And it wasn't my fault what the item scanned at.  Plus I've bought stuff there before that scanned at a lower price and I've always gotten the extra discount.

I mean otherwise why would I buy it today? If there is no additional discount, I could buy that item any day for the same price.

Now I am very persistent and really hate crap. I nicely asked if I could talk to a manager.

And the guy got mad and started to call security.

He kept saying, "i'm calling security on you".

This made no sense to me.  All I wanted was for someone higher up to tell him what the rules were.

And then he had the nerve to tell me that if an item scans at a lower price then he can change it back to the tagged price if he wants to.

Now I have never heard of this.  Usually if an item scans higher, you get the item for free or some discount. And if it scans lower, well they ALWAYS give it to you at that price.  Since maybe the last tag fell off.

Anyhow then he says, "okay you want me to give it to you for 50% off, i will". I say "fine" and then he starts talking about calling security again.

I really should have just demanded to talk to his manager then, since he was being ridiculous threatening me.

But I nicely said, "you said you'd give me the discount, fine". So he did it.

Then after I also nicely said, "i shop here a lot, and it's really not very good customer service to threaten to call security".  Then I also said, "i realize that you think I'm trying to scam you, but I'm really not. I buy things here a lot. And I've always gotten the extra discount for whatever it scans at."

Then comes the best. The guy totally changes his attitude and says that if i'm happy then he's happy, and he doesn't feel i was trying to scam him.

You know it was only $5.50, but that wasn't even the point.  The people at this counter never know their job.  Half of them don't even bother to give the discount unless you tell them.  And it just bugged me that he decided that the price was good enough and that i should be happy with it.

Okay rant over.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 11:54:08 AM by Jennifer »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2004, 12:00:33 PM »

Question for BK for the "Ask BK Day"... I recently finished listening to the new JAY recording of "Lucky Stiff" and while I found the reasoning for this recording necessary (recording the show as it was concieved... with just a piano) I found the performances rather bland and the whole thing lacked spunk.  So my question is what kind of stories do you have from your recording of the show?  Was it a positive experience, negative experince, how were the composers to work with... etc, blah blah blah.  Thanks!!!  

George

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2004, 12:07:58 PM »

I'd read that Isaac Asimov (I think) came up with orange...door hinge.  Works for me!

Jay

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2004, 12:08:04 PM »

DR Jay, I worked on Kiri's Gershwin album.  Did she forget any melodies or words?

If she did, it was not apparent.  

I was surprised Dame Kiri stopped at two encores, given the ovations she received.  She did a Maori folk song and "O Mio Babbino Caro."  I was expecting at least one more encore, something from the Great American Songbook.  I can't quibble, though.  It was a lovely recital.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »

Comic strips:  L'il Abner and Peanuts were probably my two favorites in high school
(early 1960s) although I followed Peanuts until I moved to New York in 1979.
I also loved Maggie and Jeeves and Beetle Bailey.

As a grade school student, I was an ardent comic book collector:   Little Lulu and Turok Son of Stone were my faves, along with the Carl Barks Donald Duck and Scrooge McDuck comics from Dell, and I later, probably junior high,  really liked Archie, Superman, and the Flash.  I still laugh over Little Lulu and Wich Hazel.

Good news today:  my first day since the first week of August without a pair of crutches.

Jay

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2004, 12:12:34 PM »

Good news today:  my first day since the first week of August without a pair of crutches.

That's wonderful, Dear Reader elmore3003!  

And, if I might add, quite reminiscent of the last scene in Interrupted Melody.  Did you sing the Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde as you took your first steps?

George

« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »

So, his mind reeling with rhyming conundrums (conundra? conundri?), Skippy Jay's question for Ask BK Day is this:

When writing lyrics in this day and age, does the word "again" rhyme with "a pen" or "a pain?"

And when singing a song that rhymes "again" with "a pain," does one sing it as "a gain" (long A) to complete the rhyme, or as "a gen" (short E) to make it recognizable as it is spoken in common parlance?

RE:  "again/pain" vs. "again/pen" ... depends how pretentious you want to sound. ;) It still surprises me when I hear "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain"  "A-gen" (rhyming with pen).  I always just assumed that Alan Jay Lerner wrote it so that Higgins' one word would continue the rhyme scheme with "a-gain," but very few recordings are done that way.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2004, 12:19:23 PM »

Off to take Archie - sorry, Butch - for walk.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2004, 12:27:45 PM »

That's wonderful, Dear Reader elmore3003!  

And, if I might add, quite reminiscent of the last scene in Interrupted Melody.  Did you sing the Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde as you took your first steps?

I'd forgotten about Marjorie Lawrence!  No, I sang AMAHL AND THE NIGHT VISITORS!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2004, 12:35:26 PM »

Tab Tuesday Panni feels that "Skippy Jay" it a totally perfect nom de HHW.
Abie, BTW, has decided on the nom de hound of Van (after TTP talked him out of Divine)
He seems to have fallen in love with a dog at the dog park. The dog's name is Eddie. Need I say more?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2004, 12:36:23 PM »

Sorry - that should have been - "Need Tab Tuesday Panni say more?"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2004, 12:39:37 PM »

Such lovely names today.

DRSAL S  those electronic zappers are great.  Usually in the fall we get a few mice in the house....but since using them NADA.  The only time I saw one in the last couple of years, was when the surge protector with the zapper on it got turned over and the zapper was pointed at the ceiling!

DR BEN - was the the Allison Hayes-Attack of the 50 Foot Woman exhibit you were at?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up