Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TRY TO REMEMBER  (Read 15519 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TRY TO REMEMBER
« on: September 30, 2004, 12:00:41 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've remembered September and are looking forward to October and now it is time to post until the Oktoberfest Cows Come Home.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 12:01:49 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:TRY TO REMEMBER
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 01:04:17 AM »

I would have liked to see the Ziegfeld Follies back when Will Rogers was part of the line-up.  His using the headlines of the newspaper as the basis for his comedy sounds a lot like what the late-nite hosts do these days on television...but he did it first!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 01:05:01 AM »

First Reply!

(The esteemed BK gets first post, always!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 05:33:31 AM »

DR CP mentioned Randall Duk Kim yesterday. He started
the American Players Theatre in Spring Green, Wisconsin in 1979. They do Shakeseare (mostly) and other "classic" works using a rotating rep company. He worked at the Guthrie for a few years in the mid-late 70s and then moved on to Wisconsin. I don't know if he's still involved in APT. Here's a Web site for the theatre.

http://www.americanplayers.org/

Ben

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 05:35:35 AM »

And here is a picture for you cat lovers. We were visiting my sister and her cat knew an easy touch, jumping onto Anthony's lap for a long sit.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 05:35:49 AM »

I'd like to go back and see JUMBO, a 1935 Billy Rose extravaganza featuring circus acts, Jimmy Durante, and songs by Rodgers and Hart, including my favorite, My Romance.  The movie isn't remotely similar, which is a disappointment to me.  You had to have been there.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 05:44:39 AM »

Good morning, all!  I just finished reading last night's posts, and now I hope channels 13 and 21 for their pledge drives, which seem to come once a month, will program Danzaque Live from the Parthenon, Poet Laureate of the Zamfir, with special guests Charlotte Church, Sarah Brightman, and John Tesch.

DR JRand, I have a wonderful memory of ON BORROWED TIME,  as a Hallmark or some other special in the late 50s or early 60s, with Ed Wynn and Beulah bondi, I recall.  Yes, it's a wonderful play, and I saw the last revival with Nathan Lane as Mr Brink.  I'd read the book many years ago, and I'm happy to own it now.

Born to Late, Born Too Late, and I thought you meant Born to Latte, a Starbucks tragedy!

Time Machine day:
  I, too, would have loved to see Jack Benny in Vaudeville, along with Burns and Allen.
  Not a concert, but Marian Anderson's debut as the first black singer at the Metropolitan Opera in UN BALLO IN MASCHERA.
  Jacques Brel at Carnegie Hall.
  Judy Collins at Carnegie Hall.
  Tchaikovsky conducting at Carnegie Hall.
  Florence Foster Jenkins at Carnegie Hall.

This morning the big toe on my left (lousy) foot won't stop throbbing.  I woke up around 7 am with constant, sharp jabs in it, and I don't know what will stop it.  I think it's arthritis, but it hurts like hell.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Emily

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 05:45:42 AM »

Good lord that is one fat cat :)

I don't know much about historical nightclub acts.  Judy Garland at the Palace would definitely not be turned down though!

Today I have a conference which forces me to walk up to the McGill Education building.  The building is basically located on the edge of a cliff and is gruelling to get to from anywhere on lower campus.  It requires mountain climbing gear in the winter.  If I don't make it - the hainsies and kimlets can divide my belongings amongst themselves.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 05:46:00 AM »

There are so many performers I'd like to go back and see in their heyday.  But honestly, the first performer who popped into my head when I read the TOD was Janis Joplin.  I get goosebumps when I just see film clips of her concerts.  I would have loved to have seen her in her early days with Big Brother and the Holding Company, before she hit it big time and went hogwild with the drug use which led to the deterioration of her ability to perform in front of an audience.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 05:59:07 AM »

Good morning, all!  I just finished reading last night's posts, and now I hope channels 13 and 21 for their pledge drives, which seem to come once a month, will program Danzaque Live from the Parthenon, Poet Laureate of the Zamfir, with special guests Charlotte Church, Sarah Brightman, and John Tesch.

John Tesch, Feh!  Danzaque does not share the stage with such American rabble.  Danzaque will perform with true artists.  Artists such as Yanni, Helmut Lotti and The Cheeky Girls.

Florence Foster Jenkins at Carnegie Hall.

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  And hopefully, to be invited to the reception afterwards.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 06:02:05 AM »

I would take the wayback machine (but without Sherman and Peabody) to see Al Jolson at the Wintergarden.  I keep hearing what a wonderful performer he was but his recordings and films don't seem to capture that and I would love to see him in person to see what all the fuss was.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 06:11:28 AM »

Seeing Judy at Carnegie Hall and/or the Palace would have been great but I also would also LOVE to have seen the historic Pete Seeger concert at Carnegie Hall in June of 1963 (I was a mere 10 years old). I have the two CD set and it's amazing (IMHO).

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 06:33:08 AM »

Judy at Carnegie
Noel at the Sands, or wherever in Vegas he was.  (Not that I am a great fan of Mr. Coward, but I would love to have seen the reaction of his audiences to what must have seemed -- to them -- an alien life form.
Barbra at the Bon Soir.
Totie Fields at the Concord.
Steve and Eydie...ANYWHERE.  (I never have gotten to see them live.)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 06:34:16 AM »

ClayStuart is pleased that he no longer has to refer to himself in the thrid person.  Or as ClayStuart.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 06:35:13 AM »

Ditto for RBT

Ben

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004, 06:37:46 AM »

A different Judy, this one Holliday, performing as part of The Revuers with Comden & Green.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2004, 07:16:27 AM »

A different Judy, this one Holliday, performing as part of The Revuers with Comden & Green.

Pick up a ticket for me also, Ben.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2004, 07:24:09 AM »

I've been reading DAZZLER, Steven Bach's superb biography of Moss Hart. There's a fascinating anecdote about MY FAIR LADY and a very astute Judy Holliday:

"After Mary Martin's dismissal of the project ["Those dear boys have lost their talent"], they ... approached Judy Holliday.

"Alan J. Lerner had a song for Eliza where she confesses she's falling in love with Higgins ... and Judy said, 'She can't sing that; she doesn't know she's falling in love with him."

(Judy Holliday committed instead to Bells Are Ringing. And Julie Andrews lost the Tony to her.)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2004, 07:41:29 AM »

TOD: I would use the time machine to go back to the early 70s and see the Osmond Brothers in concert here in Phoenix. My mother wouldn't let me go at the time because she heard there were drugs at rock concerts.

DR Stuart: DR Kerry took me to see Steve and Eydie last year. He bought the tickets to take his aunt, but she didn't feel well that night so I got to go. They were swell! We sat third row center.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2004, 07:42:49 AM »

Today I have receipts, papers, statements, etc. all over the table as I sit and muddle through probabe paperwork. Ugh. I don't want to do this.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2004, 08:18:20 AM »

I feel quite punk this morning, so my only contribution for now will be the following factoid. Someone mentioned Steve and Eydie... Steve Lawrence's real name is Sidney Leibowitz; Eydie Gorme's real name is Edith Gormezano.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2004, 08:20:22 AM »

Judy Garland appeared twice in Charlotte - in 1961 and in 1965. Unfortunately, I saw the latter show. After the debacle of her television series, her voice went into serious decline (easily documented in recordings and guest appearances on TV), and she was not in good voice the night I saw her here. Didn't matter; I loved her anyway, but to have seen her at the Palace or Carnegie Hall would have been nirvana.

Yep, Jack Benny for me too as far as comedians are concerned. Just adored him.

I think Noel Coward played the Desert Inn.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2004, 08:22:32 AM »

I enjoyed DAZZLER quite a bit, but I feel there is still much to Moss Hart's life we'll never know, at least not until his diaries are released once his widow departs from this life.

I haven't begun the William Inge biography but once the shows are behind me and I have free time again, it jumps to the top of the list.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2004, 08:23:58 AM »

I feel quite punk this morning, so my only contribution for now will be the following factoid. Someone mentioned Steve and Eydie... Steve Lawrence's real name is Sidney Leibowitz; Eydie Gorme's real name is Edith Gormezano.

Since the TONIGHT SHOW is in the news, what with its 50th Anniversary and the announcement of Jay Leno's successor, I suppose it would be fitting to mention that they met on Steve Allen's TONIGHT SHOW (and that he penned their big hit "This Could Be the Start of Something Big"), but my question is:  Did they get married on the Tonight Show, or was that honor only reserved for Tiny Tim and Miss Vicki?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2004, 08:34:06 AM »

I enjoyed DAZZLER quite a bit, but I feel there is still much to Moss Hart's life we'll never know, at least not until his diaries are released once his widow departs from this life.

I'm sure you're right. Happily, I don't think that'll be for awhile. Kitty Carlisle is a going concern. She's also portrayed in the book as a remarkable person - gifted and kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2004, 08:37:12 AM »

DAZZLER is subtitled: The Life and Times of Moss Hart. The author presents an excellent picture of the times, and I think the book is must reading for anyone interested in the theatre.

(Bach also gives full credit to his sources, yet doesn't clutter the text with footnotes.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2004, 08:39:39 AM »

Who is Jay Leno's successor?

Ben

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2004, 08:40:33 AM »

Kitty Carlisle Hart and Brooke Astor are amazing. KCH just turned 94 (!) and Brooke Astor is over 100 and they both look and sound like youngsters. I don't know how KCH's singing voice has held up but they are both wonderful examples of living a full life in old age.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2004, 08:41:38 AM »

Leno's successor is Conan O'Brien. Someone I have not "gotten" But I don't watch late night television anyway so it's of little concern to me.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2004, 08:44:25 AM »

Here I am, still shlogging through yesterday's notes, but I had to answer this QUOTE FROM GEORGE:

I'd read that Isaac Asimov (I think) came up with orange...door hinge.  Works for me!

Yes, I did indeed also come up with that one in Chapter 13:  Rhyming Orange of my novel Any Other Season, soon to be available in its entirity on line, if'n I get off my butt cheeks and do it.

Now, back to yesterday...

Rip F. Orr
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up