Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PACKED TO THE GILLS  (Read 23082 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PACKED TO THE GILLS
« on: October 28, 2004, 11:58:52 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've gleaned their informative information, and now you are ready to post until the packed-to-the-gills cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 12:00:15 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PACKED TO THE GILLS
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 12:22:37 AM »

And a very happy birthday to ludlow29 (Michael Colby) who, in days of old, has been known to drop in and say hey.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 01:54:51 AM »

Good Morning!

-And a very early morning at that...  -Yes, I'm still up...

???

BK -  As I've discovered with Restoration Hardware and other stores/catalogs, it is usually worth the travel time and effort to go to the store in person, catalog in hand, and ask them if they have the item in stock.  Of course, they will say, "Sir, that item is available only through the catalog only."  Then you feign ignorance, and say, "Oh, I didn't realize that."  But then continue by asking, "Would it be possible to place the order here at the store?"  And, hopefully - and usually - they will say, "Yes, you may do so if you'd like."  And, then hopefullly - and usually - they will say, "It should be here with our next shipment from the main warehouse."  -Instead of eight weeks, the wait time is usually 2 weeks.  And, best of all, since it's being shipped to the store, most of the time the S&H fees are waived.  -Of course, this assumes that you will pick up the item yourself once it comes in to the store...

Eddie Bauer's various divisions, clothing and home, offer this "service", and I've even been able to order some specialty stuff from Williams-Sonoma this way too.  It's worth a try if there's a Restoration Hardware store near your abode.  -Or near your adobe if you happen to live in such a structure.

Now, if you happen to have a Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel or the very newish Williams-Sonoma Home near you, you can probably find very similar items at those stores.   Of course, there's also Macy's and the like too.

*As I've also found out, a bunch of those "catalog only" items are not "store exclusives", and can usually be found elsewhere, so...  They're just made by some third party company, and they happen to fit the product profile of the particular store(s).  The company/store puts them in their catalog, but doesn't necessarily keep them on stock, in hand.  When a customer orders said item(s), they contact the third party company.. and eight weeks later you have your area rug.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 02:06:44 AM »

Good Morning!

-Again, and, Yes, it's still a very early morning...

Houston Food Report...

Tonight, after the show, I met up with some folks at a local place called Katz's Delicatessen.  It's not related to any other Katz's, it's a Houston institution.  It's a deli with a very wide-ranging menu.  It's open 24 hours.  It has various posters and prints on the walls - and each poster and print has a tag with the title of the poster/print and a price should a patron wish to buy said poster/print.  The sandwiches come in either "Regular" or "New York" size.  -And they have fried pickles too!  And part of their "catch" is that whenever there's a "kuh" sound in a word that is spelled with a "c", they spell the word with a "k".  Konsequently, their motto is "Katz's - We Never Klose."  Etc., etc., etc...

This was my first time at Katz's - and probably not my last.  Tonight, I just had a post-show dessert, something called a "Chocolate Eruption".  Basically, just one of those throw-anything-and-everything-that-has-chocolate-in-it-into-a-pie-pan concoctions.  Pretty good.  This particular dessert even had small chunks of white chocolate cheesecake dotting it's landscape.  However...

One item on the menu that particularly caught my eye - and which someone at the table ordered - was the Cheesecake Milkshake.

And just what is a Cheesecake Milkshake, you may ask?  Well, I'll tell you.  You can get a Cheesecake Milkshake in either Vanilla, Chocolate or Strawberry flavors.  What they do is that they start with a classic Vanilla, Chocolate or Strawberry Milkshake (ice cream and milk), and then they proceed to blend a slice(!) of cheesecake(!!!) into it!!!!

I was actually afraid of it.  Intrigued, but afraid.  I had a small spoonful of the Chocolate one that was ordered... WOW!!!  It was like lickings the beaters after making a cheesecake batter.  -And it even comes topped with a chunk of graham cracker crust!

-Only in Texas...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 02:07:10 AM »

So sad to be all alone in the world...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 02:10:22 AM »

Tonight's/last night's show went very well.  However, it was cell-phone city in the audience.  And, of course, they went off during the two quietest scenes in the show: Sheila's intro into "At the Ballet", and Paul's monologue.  UGH!  The first cell-phone just kept ringing and ringing.  And it was one of those rings that gets louder as rings, so...  I hope that person got lots of very dirty looks.

*I found out from a local that if someone's cell phone goes off while attending a production at the Houston Grand Opera, the management kindly but firmly asks the patron to leave the theatre.  GOOD POLICY!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 02:20:53 AM »

OH!  And I had no keyboard trauma tonight.  AND I also found the source of said keyboard trauma - which happened to be a sometimes sticking, sometime non-functioning low-A (the A3 to be exact on this particular Kurzweil model).  -And if any of you know the opening section of the Opening of A Chorus Line, you know that low-A's are prominently featured therein.

As for the source of the problem... While we were setting up before the show, one of the stage hands was talking with the percussionist about something that happened during the previous production of Hair.  On the last night of the show, the stage crew decided to dump the rest of the "show snow" onto to the bandstand area - and, consequently, onto the band members and their instruments.  It was a blizzard from all accounts.  Well...

I had been finding bits of stuff every now and then in between the keys.  I just figured it was debris from the set being built, stage dust, etc.  But after hearing this story, I realized it was "stage snow".  This type of stage snow is made up of shredded plastic - not paper, not cornflakes, etc. - but plastic, little bits of plastic.  So, I started digging in and around the keys and found some more "snow".  Ding-Ding!  Problem found.  Problem solved - well... not really.  At least we know what the cause was/is.  I pulled out a few good shreds here and there before the show.  I'm guessing that if they get the keyboards in the shop for a cleaning, they should be in perfect working order again.  *And after my discovery, I went key by key, and I could tell that there is definitely something stuck under some of the keys.

But, again, I had no keyboard trauma tonight, and had a pretty decent show.  Still a workout, but a good show.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 02:23:31 AM »

DR SwishySarah - So, does this mean the two staff dramaturgs at Arena will be using your information/presentation for their Show Guides?  ;)

-Maybe you could go ahead and contact the offices at Arena, and see if you could get access to their research materials - which are usually compiled months in advance. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 02:25:41 AM »

Oohh.... And an extra hour this weekend!!! YIPPEEE!!!

-Of course, whether it will turn out to be an extra hour to sleep, or an extra hour to stay awake remains to be seen.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 02:28:53 AM »

...And I noticed the other night in the "Marquee Hallway" in the theatre, that Juliana Hansen's signature is right across the Millie's dress.  :D -I guess she went on as Millie when the show played Houston.

-Did that make sense?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 02:29:26 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 02:38:10 AM »

-Oh, and to catch up from yesterday...

Halloween comes and goes with me.  It all depends what I'm doing at the time, and who I am surrounded by.  A few years ago, I was on the road, and the company had a very nice Halloween party at the hotel we happened to be staying at at the time.  They even made sure to secure a large suite so that everyone could fit into one place.  I had a blast.  The bar downstairs had karaoke, and almost everyone dressed up in costume.  -I went as "Imelda in Exile".  -Hmm.. maybe I'll finally make one or two of those pics public this weekend. ::)

And during the weeks proceeding Halloween, we had a "Secret Satan" gift exchange.  That was a lot of fun!  And the ways that people - including myself - found to plant and hide gifts on a tour bus full of people were astounding and cunningly clever!  Sometimes I - or someone else - would turn around to talk to someone, and then once we turned back around again, there would be a surprise for us on our seat.  :)

Other times, Halloween is just another day, but I do get a kick out of handing out candy to the kiddies.  Also, my brother Mike was born on October 31st, so it's also a family day for me (and my family).  Needless to say, he always had great birthday parties when we were growing up.  Who wouldn't with the sugar quotient practically doubled from all the Halloween candy in addition to the cake and ice cream?  (usually a Carvel Ice Cream Cake!)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 02:41:53 AM »

And just to make it a nice round 10 in a row...

Media Check - Nothing... As usual...

I did bring a couple of CDs with me to Houston to listen to, but just haven't gotten around to them.  Additionally, the public radio/classical music station here has some great programming, so...  Someday...

-Well, I think that's enough for now... Must still be the residual full moon/lunar eclipse effects... Or maybe it was the "Chocolate Eruption" I had earlier... I really should try to get to bed, get some sleep...  Goodnight.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 02:49:10 AM »

Welcome to the Jose site.
Now that is more than a frenzy.
Thanks for the reading material DR Jose.

You may get an extra hour but remember you are gaining if from us. Now I need to calculate all that time difference stuff again.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 02:49:56 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 02:58:44 AM »

Hello from Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam! I'm waiting for my flight to Budapest. Had a too, too marvelous First Class flight upstairs in a 747. How did that happen, you may ask. Well, I had the seatmates from hell in my economy seat. And the drunker they got, the more hellish it got (drinks are free on KLM). Finally, when the "gentleman" beside me dropped his knapsack on my head and called me a bitch - I called it a day. I told the stewardess (who was mortified) that I was moving immediately and that I needed an aisle seat as I was claustrophobic (true). The only aisle seats left were upstairs in heavenly First/Business class. And boy it was nice! Reclining seats, movies on my private screen - whatever I wanted for breakfast - huge space - even a little porcelain dutch house as a going away present. So far, so good. Next stop Budapest. BTW - KLM is a wonderful airline - drunken American idiots not withstanding.

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 03:02:34 AM »

Good to know you are OK DR Panni. CD watching has begun here.  Your praises are being sung.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2004, 03:04:10 AM »

Vaison La Romaine - Provence
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 03:59:52 AM »

A belated thank you to DRs Danise and Laura. Thank you for the appreciative comments.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 04:21:51 AM »

Hello DR Michael S.  Hope your health is improving.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 04:26:00 AM »

Hello DR Michael S.  Hope your health is improving.

Thanks. It is slowly. Good days and bad.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 05:18:33 AM »

DR Tomovoz,

Each new photo is even more exquisite than the previous one. Thank you - and please keep them coming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 05:59:26 AM »

Good morning, al!  Today's a busy day:  down to the recording project office to finish up TAN MANHATTAN and see where BABES IN TOYLAND is standing, then I've got the conductor for the PSClassics JUBILEE coming by to look at the orchestrations.  At some point during all of this, I need to do laundry.

DRSWW, I have seen Kurt Weill's LOVE LIFE; it was done by the University of Michigan's musical theatre program around 10 years ago; there was also an aborted recording attempt, of which I can say no more.

DRTomovoz, beautiful photos!  Are you going to post one of you, Colin, or Francois?

Nurse Jane, I went right to bed after my last Oscar Wilde post!  I slept great, and I'm sure it was all that good food.

TOD:
DVD:  I've got 3 Netflix movies here as well as some Edna Mae Olivers from DRMBarnum, so I've a plethora of riches here.
CD:  I've had IL TROVATORE wth Price and Milnes staring at me for days
       HAINES HIS WAY is always in my player
       BABES IN TOYLAND and Kern's HAVE A HEART
       a couple of compilation discs
VCR: I have to tape the first three Bravo MANHUNT tomorrow to send to a friend; I've never seen so many moronic and vain young men in one program before.  It's like a casting session for the WB!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 06:01:39 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2004, 06:00:58 AM »

Good mornng all... up early fretting over the fact I don't have a clarinet player for the sitz-probe for "The Secret Garden" this eve.  It's my own fault, the musician had a conflict this eve, I thought it would be ok, but now I'm thinking it won't be.  So, I've left some email's with stand-by people, we'll see if that helps, if not, oh well.  

Thanks for the good reading this morning, Jose

Media Check - everything on the iPod, from musicals to Hanson, to Minnelli, to Keane.  A plethora of music at one's fingertips.

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2004, 06:08:20 AM »

All you lucky enough to travel is making me less wanting to go to work today.  I could travel; I could stay in my cozy library and read.  I finally have some bookcases (after having my boods in storage for 7 years), so it has been like Christmas rediscovering everything.
I have all the Kritzer books together in one shelf-- handy at eye0level and have saved room for many more books from the same author.
AND Bruce, if you  really like the rug better than all the others you've seen, then it's worth the wait.

Jose---I'm trying to figure out your personal quote-- the source and the meaning--- most intiriguing.
I'd be afraid of a cheesecake milkshake too.   I like either one of them alone-- but not together.

CD's:  I'm listening to some I made for a friend.  I forgot what I had put on them, but apparently I liked the Davis/Shawn/Patrick Cassidy version of "You Could Drive A person Crazy," Liz Callaway doing "Where Do I Go From Here?," and Lindsay Hamilton doing "In the Still of the Night" since they seem to be included on three of the CD's.  I need to think about this.   Some meaning, perhaps?  Or is a cigar sometimes just  a cigar?
I like boat races.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 06:10:46 AM »

CD player: JERRY HERMAN'S BROADWAY. (Don Pippin conducting the RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra.) I'm doing some work that doesn't require concentration - and this disc provides the right kind of background music.

VCR: Tonight I hope to watch THE CATERED AFFAIR. My well-meaning sister always gets carried away with plans - turning the simple into the complicated - reminding me of this movie, which I had seen ages ago. So my brother brought me the video when he visited last week.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 06:23:40 AM »

DVD - The Tom and Jerry collection - 40 cartoons plus extras; they are fun and hold up, but are starting to be a little similar.  They really weren't meant to be watched in a marathon,

CD - Selections from LA TRAVIATA which I see Saturday night at City Opera; the OBC of SHE LOVES me which I see Sunday at Papermill (with the perfectly ast Nancy Anderson as Amelia)

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2004, 06:48:12 AM »

I liked the Davis/Shawn/Patrick Cassidy version of "You Could Drive A person Crazy," Liz Callaway doing "Where Do I Go From Here?," and Lindsay Hamilton doing "In the Still of the Night" since they seem to be included on three of the CD's.  I need to think about this.   Some meaning, perhaps?  Or is a cigar sometimes just  a cigar?

Sounds like you've been reading my diary
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2004, 07:51:56 AM »

I don't use this word often, but it is so cool to sign on to HHW and see DR Panni's name up in lights. The next time I fly, btw, I'm going to ask the Dear Partner (or anyone else) to drop a knapsack on my head and insult me. I want to go first class, too!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 07:52:55 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Panni

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2004, 07:52:01 AM »

I'm in Budapest!

Panni

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2004, 07:59:08 AM »

Here's DD on her balcony...

Panni

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2004, 08:01:37 AM »

Me on same balcony. Note former Communist police headquarters (Russian writing is a clue!) in background...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 08:02:37 AM by Panni »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up