Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUNGARIAN IN THE CLOSET  (Read 16187 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE HUNGARIAN IN THE CLOSET
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2004, 08:56:34 PM »

Good Evening!

Whew!  Tonight's show was a bit of a trial to get through for me.  I just started getting tired physically and mentally about an hour into it, and it got to the point where I kept thinking I was nodding off while I was playing.  -Whatever that means...  So... I think I'm just gonna stay here in my hotel room, and veg out in front of TV instead of joining the festivities downstairs... But, who knows...

*We're doing an informal promo for A Chorus Line tomorrow night a local piano bar, so I know I'll be going out tomorrow night, but tonight...

-Alas, it's also supposed to rain tomorrow, and I was planning on walking around downtown Houston as well as checking out Memorial Park and the Arboretum.  Hmm, maybe I'll finally check out Chocolate Bar, or maybe the Dessert Gallery!  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2004, 09:03:46 PM »

I've never had trick-or-treaters while living in Richmond, but I've seen them.  The part of town I live in, The Fan, is populated by families, singles and college kids, and somehow, those groups seem to live near each other.  So, there are some blocks that have sort of a Halloween block party.  All the families on one block will arrange some organized fun as well as keep tons of candy on hand - some of the decorating gets quite elaborate.  Some kids from the suburbs have been known to drive in to the Fan to "attend" the parties in the blocks.  And vice versa.   Most of the college kids are either out at the bars on Halloween, or they're having some kegger at their apartment - meaning no kiddies.  Thankfully, everyone and everything seems to go on side by side with no hassles.

In Fairfax and Arlington while I was growing up, we would get trick-or-treaters as late at 10:00pm sometimes!  Just depended on the weather, and sometimes on the TV programming for that night.  -And the day of the week.  School night Halloweens were/are always early evenings.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2004, 09:07:17 PM »

I heard on a news item right before turning off the TV that Hallowe'en was a $4 billion business this year. Is Christmas this big any more?

Christmas is still bigger, but Halloween is in the Number 2 spot in regards to money spent on decorations and other accountrements.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2004, 09:20:15 PM »

I was away from the computer this weekend, and then tonight a friend treated us to an evening with Joan Rivers. It was a fundraiser for 519 Church Street, Toronto's gay community center, and our friend's company had sponsored a table.

The mostly young people at our table were fun and some of the costumes (optional) were amusing. But I wasn't prepared for how obnoxious Joan Rivers would be. Her timing was off and she flubbed her lines a few too many times. And self-deprecating humor is no longer part of her shtick, now that she's had so much cosmetic surgery (she looked airbrushed). Of course, she wouldn't be Joan Rivers without being offensive. But she more than crossed the line with really cruel cracks about Janet Leigh's death and Julie Andrews' surgery (and she thought Julie Andrews was Canadian). And did we really need an extended Amy Carter joke? Or, especially, a tired routine about old people fleeing a fire - now adapted to the World Trade Center? I hope the event raised lots of money. The dinner (steak, very tender) was good, but the evening left me with an unpleasant taste.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 10:30:15 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

François de Paris

« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2004, 09:53:52 PM »

(and she thought Julie Andrews was Canadian).

Her step-father, Ted Andrews, was, but Dame Julie is an English beauty rose, born in Walton-on-Thames, Surrey!....

We'll let Joan Rivers go down the grand rapids! Splash! ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2004, 10:24:22 PM »

I think that when one gets to the age that one is able to obtain hickeys, then one is likely too old to trick or treat!
Sounds to me like he was tricking and treating quite well, holiday or not.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2004, 10:42:49 PM »

Rather than deal with the precious young children from the neighborhood in their precious little costumes and the not so precious older kids from outside the neighborhood in their not so precious costumes (or no costume at all), I decided to skip the whole trick-or-treater legalized extortion thing tonight and do something a little different.  I went to the Walt Disney Concert Hall for a screening of the 1925 The Phantom of the Opera featuring Mr. Lon Chaney.  Live musical accompaniment was provided on the spanking (Oh.  A fetish reference.) new concert pipe organ.  The event was real swell.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 10:52:08 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2004, 11:18:53 PM »

Good Evening!

WOW!  It's not yet 6:00AM and I'm actually tired and thinking of heading to bed?!?!  What a concept. ;)

So... I'm off to the Burger of Wuss.  ???

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up