Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUNGARIAN IN THE CLOSET  (Read 16186 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE HUNGARIAN IN THE CLOSET
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2004, 02:15:29 PM »

I'm getting ready to go to a gay club for Hungarian Halloween. (DD and I have been invited by a gay friend of hers.) Will have a full report later.
You don't need any excuse to go to a gay club anywhere, darling Panni!  You would light up any venue!

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2004, 02:16:09 PM »

Still waiting to go out. DD's friend has just arrived. An extremely handsome young man. She's making him up while her boyfriend watches football. A quaint domestic scene.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2004, 02:16:53 PM »

I'm starting two pages in a row?

Slip any That's Entertainment disc into the DVD and pick a dance!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2004, 02:17:36 PM »

Thank you, SWW! I'm blushing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2004, 02:18:30 PM »

You're quite welcome!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2004, 02:19:50 PM »

DW Joy recently told me that, for several elections running, there's been a correlation between who wins the Washington Redskins' last game before an election, and which party wins the election.

When the Redskins win their last game before a presidential election, the party that's in the White House stays in the White House.  When they lose, the other party takes the White House.  They've never tied.

This correlation goes way back to those Roosevelt victories.

Today, the Redskins lost to the Packers.  Good news for Kerry.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Michael

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2004, 02:21:15 PM »

Catching up for the last few days.

Media: The Tony Award Show Volume 2. Really liked the 15 minute sequence from Coco!

Also watch My Fair Lady. I hadn't watched it in a while. I don't think it holds up and what is with all the time codes visable on some of the special material??

And finally up a little early because of the time change and got the ending of act one and the whole of act two of Jekyl & Hyde the musical. God awful. It supposed to take place in England and the all spoke with american accents.

The score sucked from what I heard of it except for In His Eyes which I think BK had orchestrated better for Skinner and Ripley.

What made this show soooooo popular?

Haven't done the halloween thing in a long time.

Just going to sit and watch a dvd pulled at random
Never stop dreaming.

François de Paris

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2004, 02:28:25 PM »

I have a glow in the dark frenchkenstein!

Me too!

But I only show it to special friends on special occasions! :o ;D

... and that's SPOOKY!  (I'm told! :D)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 02:29:03 PM by François de Paris »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2004, 02:29:14 PM »

DRMichael Shayne, it's great to see you!

DRFrancois, "Trick or Treat" is my favorite Donald Duck cartoon.

I've just seen my guests, DRBen and Anthony aka Baxter the Clown, to the door, and I hope they enjoyed the visit as much as I did.  They brought me a chocolate babka, which looks divoon, and I think I'll take it with me tomorrow down to the recording office.  Now I'm putzing around trying to decide if I should eat or go visit my goddaughter's haunted house.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François de Paris

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2004, 02:32:23 PM »

You would light up any venue!

:-*

Like a Anna-O-Lantern?? ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2004, 02:35:32 PM »

DW Joy recently told me that, for several elections running, there's been a correlation between who wins the Washington Redskins' last game before an election, and which party wins the election.

When the Redskins win their last game before a presidential election, the party that's in the White House stays in the White House.  When they lose, the other party takes the White House.  They've never tied.

Voting may be out then!
Just rely on sports' results!

A new take on politics???

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2004, 02:36:57 PM »

As long as I've got That's Entertainment: Treasures from the Vault playing in the background...

Something occurred to me while watching the documentary about "The Masters Behind the Musicals."  It's just a theory, but hear me out and see if it makes sense.  (If the hearing and seeing doesn't make too much of a mixed metaphor, that is.)

The studios, and MGM in particular, all had pretty good machinery and staff in place in order to produce their films, from directors and producers to arrangers and vocal coaches.  This came to a halt during the 1960s when independent filmmaking came to the fore.

Is it any wonder, then, that production of the Hollywood musical also came to a halt, as this particular genre of film was so highly dependent upon that support structure?

Yes, there have been musicals produced since the mid-60s, but they've ranged from the mega-productions such as My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music to more wildcat films like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The First Nudie Musical, and Moulin Rouge! (the version with the exclamation point, not the earlier film with Jose Ferrer).

What I consider to be the Hollywood Musical simply cannot be produced today, because the means of producing those films is gone.  It's not that popular music changed; Elvis had his share of films, remember, back when they were still being produced.  

It's comparable to painters trying to replicate DaVinci's work, without knowing how to mix the paints that he used.  It can be attempted (and I consider Chicago to be a very good attempt), but it's somehow not the same thing.

François de Paris

« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2004, 02:41:41 PM »

An extremely handsome young man.

Are you talking about ME.... again!?!? :D

(Oops! Had not noticed "young"! :()

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2004, 02:44:09 PM »

Jekyl & Hyde the musical. God awful. It supposed to take place in England and the all spoke with american accents.

The score sucked from what I heard of it except for In His Eyes which I think BK had orchestrated better for Skinner and Ripley.

What made this show soooooo popular?

DW Joy disagrees with me, but I don't believe Jekyl and Hyde is soooooo popular, at least not with that many o's.

The Broadway production did not make money, and the producers kept stunt casting, to bring in people who don't normally attend theatre (such as rock star Sebastian Bach).

The grammatical ambiguity in that last sentence is intentional.

Songs from Jekyl & Hyde got performed at star search-like competitions and beauty contests long before the show reached Broadway.  I'd have to admit that This Is the Moment is one of the better-known songs from recent musicals.  Someone Like You, In His Eyes and Bring On the Men have a certain amount of popularity, too, although the latter didn't make it to Broadway.

Once it got put on video with David Hasselhoff, however, I think people started viewing it for the camp value - a truly terrible performance of a truly terrible show.  Soooooo, in that sense it's "popular"

François de Paris

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2004, 02:45:31 PM »

They brought me a chocolate babka, which looks divoon, and I think I'll take it with me tomorrow down to the recording office.  

Oh, I'm sure it will enjoy the music and will give us a full rapport...hmm... report! ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2004, 02:52:41 PM »

There's a few other theories/coincidences, such as the ones noted in the Washington Post, but let's run with the Packers for a moment.

Since the Redskins LOST the game in 2000, does this mean all those people who insisted that George W. DIDN'T win the election have been wrong all this time?

Or are they going to blame the election on bad referees?

(Interesting article over at The Urban Legends Reference Pages, by the way, supporting the theory.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2004, 02:54:03 PM »

Are you talking about ME.... again!?!? :D

(Oops! Had not noticed "young"! :()
That's all right, Francois, I hadn't noticed you were young, either.

;D :o 8) :-*

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2004, 02:56:03 PM »

Songs from Jekyl & Hyde got performed at star search-like competitions and beauty contests long before the show reached Broadway.
"I give it a ten, Mr. Clark, because it's got a beat and is easy to ice skate to!"

François de Paris

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2004, 02:57:13 PM »

I'm prejudiced! Oh, yes, i'm prejudiced!

The BEST Jekyll & Hyde, by loathed Wildhorn, that is, is the 2 cd studio cast set, led by Anthony Warlow;
here's an Amazon.com review i do support!

"I almost bought this album after seeing Robert Cuccioli in Guys and Dolls. But after listening to samples of this recording AND the 1994 Concept cast, I have reached the conclusion that Cuccioli's voice just doesn't cut it. At all. He does a good job with the ballads, but he lacks the power to control the role of Hyde. Anthony Warlow - IMO Australia's best performer - not only blows listeners away on each and every song with his massive baritone (versus Cuccioli's smooth tenor), but he is truly scary in songs like "Confrontation" and "Alive". Colm Wilkinson, who did the original concept, may have the best voice, but that CD is restricted solely to ballads and does not make sense with the storyline. Linda Eder is great as Lucy in all CD's, but only in the 1994 concept do listeners get to hear the naughty cabaret number "Bring on the Men".
Having played the role in regional theatre, take my advice: Spend the extra few dollars and get the 1994 concept cast recording. If you don't know who Anthony Warlow is...you will."
S. NOOR  September 27, 2004.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2004, 02:57:21 PM »

Time to start getting ready for the Time Warp.  Wussburgering early, so toodles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2004, 03:00:14 PM »

So, dear reader Panni IS going as a Hungarian Fag, to a club where she will fit right in in that getup.  I'm more frightened by the daughters boyfriend watching football in Hungary.

It's getting pretty scary in here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2004, 03:00:39 PM »

"S. Noor"  If you sound that name out you get "snore".

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2004, 03:17:25 PM »

I'm prejudiced! Oh, yes, i'm prejudiced!

The BEST Jekyll & Hyde, by loathed Wildhorn, that is, is the 2 cd studio cast set, led by Anthony Warlow; ....

I totally agree.  I love the 2-CD set, especially the casting of Anthony Warlow (never heard of him before this, but have certainly heard his stuff after this) and Carolee Carmello (aka Maple LaMarsh!)  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2004, 03:20:13 PM »

Right now, I'm taping "Porgy and Bess" with Cleo Laine and the recently late Ray Charles.  I've gotten the first two (of four) sides recorded, but not yet broken up into individual tracks.  I'll finish the rest of it then break it up.  I also have the Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong "P&B" (on CD) and it's great to have both versions as well as the Simon Rattle (real) opera version.  Three quite diverse and wonderful recordings of this one show. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2004, 03:22:09 PM »

As for what I have to give out to the kiddies:  Hershey's Minatures:  Hershey's (plain) chocolate, Mr. Goodbar, Krackle and Special Dark.  I love them all and all of them love me (a Chicago reference!)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2004, 03:28:53 PM »

Good Afternoon!

-Just back between shows for some dinner...

Good matinee, but it definitely feels like the end of the work week - which it is.  There's a small gathering tonight after the show here at the hotel.. We shall see...

In the meantime....

-I better see some costume shots when I get back tonight!
 >:(

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2004, 03:32:33 PM »

Right now, I'm taping "Porgy and Bess" with Cleo Laine and the recently late Ray Charles.  I've gotten the first two (of four) sides recorded, but not yet broken up into individual tracks.  I'll finish the rest of it then break it up.  I also have the Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong "P&B" (on CD) and it's great to have both versions as well as the Simon Rattle (real) opera version.  Three quite diverse and wonderful recordings of this one show. ;D

DRGeorge,  my favorite of the "real" versions is the Houston Grand Opera with Clamma Dale on BMG, conducted by John DeMain, who knows that score better than anyone alive.  Look for it in the library.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François de Paris

« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2004, 03:36:59 PM »

What is it tonight?

Boo Bush

or

Scary Kerry?

(I should work for Disney, don't ya think?!)

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2004, 03:38:48 PM »

Since I always wish to alert others when I don't know what I'm talking about, I must admit to you all that I've never seen Jekyl & Hyde on stage.  And it gets back to the point in an earlier post that sometimes shows live on due to great recordings, but baffle an audience in a theatre.  I'm sure Warlow is a tremendous singer, but here's the question: Who here has seen Jekyl & Hyde on stage and how was it?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2004, 03:40:15 PM »

Back for just a sec, while der Brucer gets dressed.

According to the link I posted earlier for the Washington Post, more Bush masks have been sold this year.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up