Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I HEREBY DECREE  (Read 17649 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I HEREBY DECREE
« on: November 01, 2004, 12:00:05 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what the notes are talkin' about, you know what's wonderfully wonderful and splendidly splendid and marvelously marvelous, so now it is time for you to post until the decreed cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 12:04:00 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:I HEREBY DECREE
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 01:00:40 AM »

The biggest problem with decreed cows is getting the mess off of one's shoes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 01:02:41 AM »

Top Katharine film, to my taste, is The Lion in Winter.  Scenery was never chewed as superbly as in that film.

And they didn't use forks in those days, either!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 01:07:04 AM »

Watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show with an interesting group of people was...well, interesting, of course.  It was interestingly interesting.  It's a film that grows on me every time I see it, which wouldn't bother me but the growth never matches the colors I'm wearing at the time.  We had one fellow come in late, snootfulled and obstreperous, but everyone else was fine and dandy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 02:57:11 AM »

Well....it is November.

DRNOEL - I saw J/H on tour with Mr Chuck Wagner in the title role.  The evening got off to a bad start because of the three seats we got from TicketMaster  -  two of them didn't exist:  one was a post and the other was air.  They finally seated us -

The show as has already been said was....well what everyone has said.  I didn't like it much.  And after the 20th time the dame sang ".....once upon a dream...." in that song, I thought....even Maria only said "...the sound of music..." three times in that song.....

Katharine Hepburn - well I think my favorite (and it is difficult to choose) would be DESK SET, where she plays Bunny Watson, the head a television network research department.....where Spencer Tracy installs Emerac, a computer (that was later used in the original THE FLY).

The drunken Christmas party and the scene afterward in Bunny's apartment - with Joan Blondell and Gig Young - is so perfectly played.

Gig Young -  he was so good.  Stream of consciousness writing is great, isn't it?

Loved the pictures of Chez Barnum!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 03:40:07 AM »

Morning all!

We had a grand total……are you  ready for this…….of exactly……..don’t hold your breath……TWO………Yes, make that TWO kids last night.  Since we haven’t had any the past couple of years that is an amazing amount of trick or treaters.

They came in their stroller with Mom and Dad.  Dad pushed them.  I gave them both a couple of quarters.   I think they really liked that.  

We had a Blues Clues and a little princess.  So cute.  

Jane, that picture of me was taken about five minutes before I posted it.  The miracle of computer generated graphics.  I thought all of you would be dressed up and I didn’t want to be left out.

Can I please be excused from eating the head cheese?  Bluck.  

Gotta run for the bus.  Gee, if this was May and it was Derby time you could place a bet on me.   Instead of running for  Roses, I’m running for dollars.  

Have a good day all!   :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 03:55:51 AM »

Good morning, all!  Do you remember in  "Dear Friend" of SHE LOVES ME, the moment wherein the singer announces "Autumn!" and the woodwinds flutter as the leaves fall?  I feel like Dear Friend BK's announcement of November needs the same little flourish.

I do love this time change, and I'm ready to go into the recording office to see if I have any duties this morning on TAN MANHATTAN, which happens this week at the Chicago Humanities Festival.  I've got some LADY OF THE SLIPPER business to initiate this morning as well.

DRMBarnum, loved the photos, especially the nonsequiter of your friend.

In my 25 years in this building, we've never had trick or treaters.  When I moved in, there were two children living in the building on ther first and fourth floors, but they've grown up and been long gone.  This year a young couple on the first floor had a baby, and she's the first since then.  My goddaughter's building, in which our Jason Graae lived before he was asked to leave New York, is filled with children, so her family was swamped with kids.

I'll check in later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 04:06:35 AM »

I've been in my building for 22 years, and though there are kids, the parents seem to parachute them into the closest upper-middle-class residential neighborhood. A bowl of candies is left in our lobby - but it's not the same.

My favorite Katharine Hepburn movie is THE RAINMAKER, in which she and the script are perfectly matched.

By the way I watched THE CATERED AFFAIR this weekend. Bette Davis gives one of her most understated and genuinely moving performances.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 04:08:14 AM »

Hi, Panni. Hi, Elmore. Coffee and marzipan, anyone?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 04:14:41 AM »

The little grocery store where I religiously buy my lottery tickets sold last week's $12 million prize-winning ticket. Not to me, though - which I'm sure I didn't have to add.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 04:18:19 AM »

Hi, DIT! I just woke up. (it's around one!) It's a holiday today and the city is basically closed, so this was a good time to finally catch up on my sleep -- plus i went to bed at 3.) I've been pigging out on marzipan, DIT. And lots of coffee, too. No wonder I'm wired.

Have read the Halloween posts. Glad to hear you all had a grand old time.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 04:22:59 AM »

Forgot Hepburn!  PHILADELPHIA STORY, ADAM'S RIB, AFRICAN QUEEN, THE RAINMAKER.  I've got to watch LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT!

Good morning, DRPanni, DRDIT!

Now I'm out of here.  Ta!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 04:29:19 AM »

I also would like to vote for Long Days Journey Into Night, Lion in Winter for the dramas and comedies I liked her in The Philadelphia Story and Woman of the Year.

TV films: Love Amoung the Ruins and The Glass Menagerie.

Although the film was reviled I sorta liked her performance in The Madwoman of Chaillot

Worst role: I think it would be Jade in Dragon Seed

Strangest films; The Trojan Women and The Ultimate Solution of Grace Quigley (or whatever it is called now)
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 04:35:29 AM »

I've been pigging out on marzipan.

This expression is something like a Tom Swifty. I'm trying to think of more of the same.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 04:36:37 AM »

I've been stuffing myself with turkey?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2004, 04:49:12 AM »

Just a recap of my post from late last night.

I went to see Joan Rivers - a friend was hosting a fundraising dinner, and he kindly invited us to join one of the tables he was sponsoring.

I wasn't impressed with Ms Rivers. First, she doesn't look like Joan Rivers. Second, though one obviously expects her to be vulgar and offensive, she totally crossed the line (Janet Leigh jokes? 9/11 jokes?). Third, her timing was off, and she was only occasionally amusing. Same old, same old jokes - just applied to current situations. And some not even applied. Amy Carter jokes? Helen Keller jokes? Anyway, the food was good.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 04:50:02 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2004, 05:16:36 AM »

My other two Katharine Hepburn favorites (after THE RAINMAKER) are probably THE AFRICAN QUEEN and SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2004, 05:16:44 AM »

I am here after a very busy weekend. Anthony/Baxter and I had a divoon afternoon with the lovely and sparkling Elmore AKA Larry. Despite his protestations, he is not the world's worst host. We had a grand time talking and eating donuts and cider and halloween cookies. After we left, Ant and I realized what a long weekend it had been. We had chicken noodle soup and tortellini for dinner and then at 6:30pm I lay down for a few minutes. Anthony said "Are you going to bed?" I, unawares, said "no, I'm just laying down for a quick nap" Fast forward to 6:22am November 1st and you will see how unawares I was. Ah, well.

We had a lovely weekend, as I mentioned early. On Friday we visited Anthony's cousins on the Upper West Side. We gorged on pizza and soda and cinnamon apple pudding cake from the Greenmarket. On Saturday Anthony put together a little cemetery of Ghost Lollipops (DR Larry got one yesterday so he knows what they look like) for our second trek to the Upper West Side for a birthday party. We had a great time eating chili and fixins' and devouring a wonderful autmn pie with raisins, currants, cranberries and apples. We also watched the HBO Elaine Stritch At Liberty piece aired eons ago. A good time was had by all. Then, yesterday we trekked uptown again (our passports are full of stamps for UWS) for our lovely visit with Mr. Moore. What a great time we had! Thank you, Larry for the wonderful visit. We returned home just before the annual Halloween parade began and as we exited the subway we saw a plethora of little children in not scary at all costumes, many princesses and pirates and other sundried characters. We then had dinner, and as mentioned, I fell into a deep sleep. Anthony heard some of the parade from the street, watched a bit on NYOne News and then came to bed himself. He's not feeling completely well. Perhaps we had too much excitement this weekend. He feels a cold coming on. He will head out to Long Island tomorrow (he's registered out there) to vote and then will stay for some doctor appointments and he will return to the city this Saturday.

That's the report from Chelsea. More later.

P.S. The Rainmaker, Desk Set (as was mentioned earlier, that drunk scene at the Christmas party is WONDERFUL), Lion in Winter and Long Day's Journey into Night.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2004, 05:21:24 AM »

Also meant to say

DiT, I'm in total agreement on Joan Rivers. She crossed the line for me some time ago. I now find her offensive and mean. She's not remotely funny and her obsession with cutting people to shreds is so unfunny that I can't watch her. I'm not a big fan of popular culture and I know that it's ripe for jabs, but her idea of humor just turns me off.

The opinions listed above are just the humble opinions of one DR, not intended to influence anyone or anything in particular.

I will now return to my November project at work.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2004, 05:46:12 AM »

The host of the Joan Rivers evening just called to ask what I thought. I told him.

There was a mixed crowd in the audience: Some corporate bigwigs with spouses; middle-aged gay men; and a rather young contingent (staff members of media-related firms - they were likely given other people's tickets). The first group sat near the front, so I didn't really see their reactions. The second group did some serious groaning - especially at the nasty Janet Leigh and Julie Andrews jokes (so Joan Rivers took a swipe at Toronto). And, despite a lot of dated material, the third group seemed to laugh the hardest.

td

• td
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2004, 05:51:20 AM »

Kate is very interesting in STAGE DOOR.
I like Kate in SYLVIA SCARLET and BRINGING UP BABY.
With Tracy, I'm fond of PAT AND MIKE and ADAM'S RIB.
In color, I like Kate in DESK SET and AFRICAN QUEEN.
For strange Kate, I like SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER.
For sheer brilliance, I'll take Kate in A DELICATE BALANCE, THE LION IN WINTER and LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2004, 06:16:05 AM »

I love Miss Hepburn's numbers on a couple of the Ben Bagley collections.  Never mind that she can't sing...

Imagine my surprise when I opened the program at Papermill and found out that Nancy Anderson was playing Ilona, not Amelia, a role I still feel she is perfect for.  When I think of Ilona, I think of Barbara Baxley: a slightly older woman with a less than perfect voice.  Still Miss Anderson was wonderful in the role.  Actually, of the several SHE LOVES MEs I have seen over the years,  this was definitely the best.  Even the sound problems that Papermill usually has were somewhat improved (although the orchestra still sounded pre-recorded).  But the whole cast was excellent, it was well staged and the design team did a perfect job.  I don't understand why this gem of a show (which comes off good even in lesser productions) wasn't more successful in either of its Broadway runs.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

td

• td
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2004, 06:39:10 AM »

DR tomovoz, how are YOU adjusting to this time change?  I now know that YOU folks down under are SIXTEEN HOURS ahead of most of the United States.  (Indiana still doesn't count).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Emily

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2004, 06:45:52 AM »

Bringing Up Baby is one of my favourite movies! :)

Last night we got about two hundred kids trick or treating... lots of little Mars Bars and Caramilks are left over (guess what I'm having for lunch?!)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2004, 06:46:44 AM »

BTW - Dan in Trawna... 6/49 fan? :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2004, 06:52:50 AM »

When I think of Ilona, I think of Barbara Baxley: a slightly older woman with a less than perfect voice.  Still Miss Anderson was wonderful in the role.  Actually, of the several SHE LOVES MEs I have seen over the years,  this was definitely the best.  

I saw the Roundabout revival of She Loves Me. I enjoyed it, but still felt cheated out of seeing the original. (I had tickets but the show closed a few days before I was to see it. I was getting a refund as the scenery was being carted out of the theatre.)

Something that bothered me in the revival, and I wonder if it happened in any other productions. Sally Mayes as Ilona asks why "an illiterate girl would attract him." Yet elsewhere in the show, she is scribbling in (and, I imagine, reading) a ledger. Maybe the lyric wasn't meant to be taken that literally - but I wondered why the director (I assume) included the ledger business.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2004, 06:54:45 AM »

BTW - Dan in Trawna... 6/49 fan? :)

Yes, though not such a big one since a ticket jumped from a loony to a toonie.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2004, 07:00:53 AM »

DR Emily,

I've had another close brush with winning. Many years ago a neighbor of mine won $2 million in the 6/49 lottery. A few weeks later I was in a crowded elevator in the lottery building itself. One woman was grumbling to a friend that nobody she knew had ever won. Eavesdropping moi spoke up, saying that a neighbor of mine had recently won two million. "Well," the woman harrumphed, "I guess he's not your neighbor anymore."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 07:02:42 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2004, 07:16:02 AM »

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER is my favorite Katherine Hepburn movie....and also enjoyed STAGE DOOR. I have not seen all that many of her films as she was never an actress that I enjoyed all that much.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2004, 07:24:47 AM »

My favorite "actory" performance is THE LION IN WINTER.

My favorite "just plain Kate" performance is PAT & MIKE.

My favorite that mixes these two styles of acting is SUMMERTIME which I think is just a gem.

There are only a few of her performances that I can't stand: DR Michael Shayne named one of them - DRAGON SEED. I think she's really awful in SPITFIRE.

But then you think of her effortless comedy playing in things like HOLIDAY, BRINGING UP BABY, DESK SET. Oh, she is truly marvelous and also totally individualistic. No one would ever confuse her with any other performer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up