Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I HEREBY DECREE  (Read 17588 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:I HEREBY DECREE
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2004, 07:27:08 AM »

Although the film was reviled I sorta liked her performance in The Madwoman of Chaillot

I also sort of liked Hepburn in MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT. Bryan Forbes is one of my favorite directors (THE WHISPERERS, THE WRONG BOX, WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND), but apart from the Michael J. Lewis score, MADWOMAN was one heavy-handed movie. As always, though, Katharine Hepburn was extremely watchable.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 07:31:08 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2004, 07:29:22 AM »

Yes, I think Brent Barrett is just fabulous playing second fiddle to the unmatchable Michael Jeter in "We'll Take a Glass Together." (Who knew Brent was such a wonderful dancer?) This was the first time I had seen Brent on stage (to my knowledge), and I booked tickets that night for a winter trip to see GRAND HOTEL and was not disappointed. On that trip that winter, I liked GRAND HOTEL even more than the Tony-winning CITY OF ANGELS (though I thought it was marvelous, too). Tommy Tune's direction did indeed make that show SO different from anything else on Broadway. No wonder he won the direction and choreography Tonys that year.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 07:33:29 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2004, 07:32:23 AM »

Biggest regret of my life: I taped the Dick Cavett/Katharine Hepburn interviews and ERASED that tape several years later ON PURPOSE. I figured I'd watched them enough and wouldn't want to see them again. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2004, 08:35:45 AM »

Good November morning.  The skies are already bright and blue here.  

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2004, 08:50:28 AM »

We had a beautiful day yesterday (high 83) and we're going to have beautiful days today and tomorrow (high in low 80s; perfect for voting), but then the fall returns with a vengeance with plunging temperatures and rain. I love fall, but this back-and-forth weather does not always work in the best interests of my body's adjusting to the quick changes. Sometimes I lose my voice when weather goes to such extremes so quickly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2004, 09:09:56 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  It's so pretty here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2004, 09:14:59 AM »

I'm getting "error" messages - anyone else?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2004, 09:25:33 AM »

Good morning, all!  Do you remember in  "Dear Friend" of SHE LOVES ME, the moment wherein the singer announces "Autumn!" and the woodwinds flutter as the leaves fall?

My goddaughter's building, in which our Jason Graae lived before he was asked to leave New York

The song is "Three Letters" not "Dear Friend" - the latter is too sad to have any woodwind flutter.

Ilona says she is illiterate because she doesn't regularly read books.  She's certainly able to read, and to make entries in a ledger.

Graae was asked to leave New York?  By whom?  Giuliani?  There must be some story there.

I, too, had trouble getting to this board a few minutes ago.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2004, 09:28:41 AM »

Imagine my surprise when I opened the program at Papermill and found out that Nancy Anderson was playing Ilona, not Amelia, a role I still feel she is perfect for.  When I think of Ilona, I think of Barbara Baxley: a slightly older woman with a less than perfect voice.  Still Miss Anderson was wonderful in the role.  Actually, of the several SHE LOVES MEs I have seen over the years,  this was definitely the best...

Hmmm.  You could have spared yourself the surprise, Dear Reader William E. Lurie, had you paid closer attention to the posts last Friday.  Allow me to present Exhibit A:

Actually, if I recall correctly, Nancy Anderson is playing Ilona Ritter - yes, still, perfect casting.  Michele Ragusa is playing Amalia Balish.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2004, 09:31:50 AM »

I wish I had had more trick-or-treaters last night.  I think I had about 50.  But the weird part was that they all came in huge bunches.  I think the rain was a big factor. :(

I loved my first visitors.  They arrived at 5 something.  A very little boy (maybe 3 or 4) dressed as Spiderman.  He proclaimed to me, "I am spiderman". So cute!

The best part was me trying to guess some of the costumes.  It was very dark and hard to see.  And sometimes when they are little, they don't answer when you ask them what they are.

One little boy (again maybe 3 or 4) was so cute. He was wearing a brown costume with a little nose and ears.  I asked him if he was a bear and his parent said, "no he's a monkey".  

Oops. :)

I had a few of those (I called one little girl a bumble bee when she was a lady bug).

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2004, 09:35:20 AM »

How is it that Michele Ragusa auditioned for -- but didn't get -- a supporting role in the Paper Mill Playhouse production of "She Loves Me," yet wound up playing the lead?

http://www.nj.com/theatredance/ledger/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-2/1099059021148230.xml
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 09:37:09 AM by Jennifer »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2004, 09:35:55 AM »

Graae was asked to leave New York?  By whom?  Giuliani?  There must be some story there.

Jason's a friend I've known and worked with since 1985.  I was being silly.

I couldn't think of the title to "Three Letters" this morning at 7:00 or so.  Thanks for correcting me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2004, 09:38:56 AM »

I didn't really care for Mr. Ellis' production of She Loves Me, although it did work better at the Roundabout with Judy Kuhn than it did in its subsequent transfer.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2004, 09:43:56 AM »

Did I mention that I had the most delicious krispy kreme donut yesterday?  It was a caramel filled creme caramel type deal.  So good.  For Halloween they were giving out 24 free donut coupons if you bought 2 dozen donuts.  My mom had to buy 2 dozen for her work but she kept the coupons.  Only catch is you have to buy them separately (so it's one free donut per person per visit).  But you don't have to buy anything else.  And krispy kreme is only 5 minutes away! :)

And yesterday in honor of halloween I was diet free.  So besides eating kit kats, aero bars and smarties, I had a delicious free krispy kreme!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2004, 09:45:58 AM »

Ilona says she is illiterate because she doesn't regularly read books.  She's certainly able to read, and to make entries in a ledger.

Maybe it depends on how playful the singer is and how ditzy the actress plays it. But when I heard Sally Mayes sing "illiterate," I really took her at her word.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 09:46:27 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2004, 10:00:12 AM »

Yes, but truly illiterate people don't know the word, "illiterate" - do they?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2004, 10:05:27 AM »

I wish I had had more trick-or-treaters last night.  

We had none.  We have had none since moving to Rochester.  (This was our third Halloween here.)

Ironically we used to have upwards of 100 when we lived on Roosevelt Island, right there in the middle of the East River.  It was a more family-friendly apartment community, I guess, as opposed to our current situation on which we are on a fairly busy road (relatively speaking, of course.  It's no Queens Boulevard, aka the Boulevard of Death).  We are also on the side of the street that has no sidewalk, though we do have a rather wide shoulder.

Our favorite trick-or-treater, however, was one (he was probably between 8 - 12) who was not satisfied with the little treat bags we were dispensing.    The dear partner and I were in the midst of dinner when we answered the door when this particular reveler came a-calling.  (Since it was Halloween, we figured we would eat in the living room, and therefore be closer to the door, since we knew we would be busy.) Before we closed the door, the lad was able to gaze into the living room, and piped up: "Hey, can I get a piece of fried chicken, too?"

Which reminds me of the other favorite ToT'er we had.  I wasn't home for this one, but was told about it as soon as I walked in after work.  (Now, you have to remember that the apartments on Roosevelt Island have fairly open floor plans, with much flexibility.)  A little 3-year old girl, dressed as a duck or a swan or some such, strode right into the apartment when the Dear Partner opened the door.  She took in the landscape surrounding her and proclaimed "I like what you did with it!" or something similar.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2004, 10:16:13 AM »

I didn't really care for Mr. Ellis' production of She Loves Me, although it did work better at the Roundabout with Judy Kuhn than it did in its subsequent transfer.

I agree, BK; I'd seen two productions (Equity Library Theatre and Opera Ensemble  of New York) before the Roundabout that had more style and class. The Opera Ensemble production, conducted by Jonathan Tunick, with Gregg Edelman as George and Davis Gaines as Kodaly used the original orchestrations.  I told Sheldon Harnick I hated the Roundabout addition of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" for the carolers as if the audience would miss the joke of "Twelve Days to Christmas."  What do Hungarians in Budapest know about a British carol?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2004, 10:16:26 AM »

DR Stuart that is funny!

Last night one boy  (about 4 or 5) dressed as a pumpkin came to the door and said, "i hear birds, I'd like to see them" and proceeded to walk in the house.

I told him it was fine as long as he asked his mother first.  Well this kid didn't wait and went in to the kitchen (which seemed to really please the mom). :)

Oh well he was happy at least.

For some reason a bunch of little boys were dressed as pumpkins.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2004, 10:17:02 AM »

It's so dark and "nighty" - yet only 7 :15 PM. I'm not fond of this time change thing. Today I found - but did not buy - perhaps i should - one of those Russian doll thingies - doll within a doll within a doll. It was US presidents. The top doll was JOHN KERRY! Inside him was Bush, inside him Clinton, etc. Hope they're right. There was another doll combo with Cinton on top, then Monica Lewisnsky, then various other woment with whom he was linked.

Panni

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2004, 10:18:08 AM »

Tomorrow I take in a couple of university classes, then go back and visit where I used to live as a child.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2004, 10:18:41 AM »

Another fun moment.    A teenage girl came to the door inside a large cardboard box.  I asked her what she was supposed to be and someone replied something like girl in a box.  Then someone from in my house came to the door, looked at her, and said (it was raining), "well now you're more like girl in soggy cardboard".

:)

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2004, 10:20:19 AM »

DR Panni, not that you're reading this now.  But I'm enjoying your Hungarian stories.

Panni

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2004, 10:20:38 AM »

Hello, DR Elmore - forgot to say hello when you were here before. On the 9th I'm seeing Bluebeard's Castle at the Hungarian Opera Theater. So far, nobody wants to come with me. Can't imagine why. A fun evening of opening doors a la Bartok.

Panni

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2004, 10:21:29 AM »

I read it, Jennifer. Koszonom! (Thanks in Hungie.)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2004, 10:35:33 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

Last night we had one group of trick-or-treaters -- seven kids.

This morning it is sunny and clear (big surprise for Arizona) and windy. I am busy tidying up my office/storage room, which used to be my dining room.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2004, 10:44:55 AM »

On the 9th I'm seeing Bluebeard's Castle at the Hungarian Opera Theater. So far, nobody wants to come with me. Can't imagine why. A fun evening of opening doors a la Bartok.

Mr. Bartok is not one of my favorite composers, but sometimes he can get it absolutely right.  I get major goosebumps every time I hear the music for Door Number 5.

Who'll be singing Bluebeard and Judith, Dear Reader Panni?  And what else is on the bill?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 10:46:35 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2004, 10:47:49 AM »

Yes, but truly illiterate people don't know the word, "illiterate" - do they?

Good point. Still, from the way the role was played, I couldn't help but think that either the lyricist or the director had screwed up.

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2004, 10:52:48 AM »

Happy November, new friends!

It's Desk Set, hands down, for me, because I've been a reference librarian long enough to have lived through the computer revolution and that movie nails it.  On days when things are going right at work, I feel very "Kate."  I even married my Spencer, but he was a library customer, not the threatening computer consultant he is in the movie!

As for Halloween, trick or treat at home was Friday evening and we had our usual fewer-than-20 kids.  The best costume I saw was Sunday evening when we were driving through Celina, OH, on the way home from a baby shower for our niece, Rev. Amy.  There was a young person dressed as a container of movie popcorn, red and white striped body with buttered popcorn on shoulders and head - very cute.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2004, 10:54:24 AM »

Good Morning!

Greetings from gray and rainy and flooding(!) Houston, TX!  The flooding is not that bad, but more storms and rain are supposed to pop up throughout the afternoon and early evening, so we've been warned.  -Of course, the thunder storms early this morning woke me up a few times... Ah, well...  I suspect I'll be taking a nap this afternoon once I get back from running my errands.

As for Hepburn movies... The first one that comes to mind is ON GOLDEN POND.  I haven't really studied her performances in her "classic" films... ON GOLDEN POND just sticks with me.  -And I saw it twice in the theatres when it came out.  -And I was in high school at the time, so I think that's saying something!  -What it's saying, I have no idea?!?!?

Otherwise, DESK SET, AFRICAN QUEEN and LION IN WINTER come to mind.

-Oohhh... more thunder rumbles outside...  -Nice day off... :P
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up