Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I HEREBY DECREE  (Read 17587 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I HEREBY DECREE
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2004, 11:02:16 AM »

Hmmm.  You could have spared yourself the surprise, Dear Reader William E. Lurie, had you paid closer attention to the posts last Friday.  Allow me to present Exhibit A:

Thank you for my clarification, DR Jay.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2004, 11:05:34 AM »

Hello, DR Elmore - forgot to say hello when you were here before. On the 9th I'm seeing Bluebeard's Castle at the Hungarian Opera Theater. So far, nobody wants to come with me. Can't imagine why. A fun evening of opening doors a la Bartok.

Will Bluebeard's Castle be paired with another one-acter as is done every now and then?

Am I remembering correctly?  -DR Jay can help me out here... I'm thinking Walter Berry and Christa Ludwig.  ???  -And has there been a commercial recording by a Hungarian cast?  -I haven't really looked for one, but I don't think I've ever come across one while browsing through the CD bins.

-Yes, that was a ramble...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2004, 11:06:11 AM »

PAGE 3 DANCE!

CZARDAS!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2004, 11:06:45 AM »

OK... Time for me to tidy up so that housekeeping can get in here and tidy up.  -What's up with that?!?!?

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2004, 11:12:47 AM »

Favourite Hepburn:  Holiday and Phiuladelphia Story and Lion In Winter.  Her Long Day's Journey is impressive but I think I like Constance Cummings in the Olivier version better.  There was also a very good one done recently on PBS with William Hutt.  I forget who the actress was, but she was very good.

From yesterday, Jane...I actually bought some Technu products Saturday.  Is it still effective to use the wash after the skin has already blistered?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2004, 11:14:51 AM »

Good Morning!

ON GOLDEN POND just sticks with me. And I saw it twice in the theatres when it came out. And I was in high school at the time, so I think that's saying something! What it's saying, I have no idea?!?!?

Here's what it's saying, you old poop:

You're going to get back up on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight.

(By the way, it sticks with me too. But in a different way, I'm afraid.)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 11:16:49 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2004, 11:15:32 AM »

Thank you for my clarification, DR Jay.

My pleasure.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2004, 11:18:46 AM »

Am I remembering correctly?  -DR Jay can help me out here... I'm thinking Walter Berry and Christa Ludwig.  ???  -And has there been a commercial recording by a Hungarian cast?  -I haven't really looked for one, but I don't think I've ever come across one while browsing through the CD bins.

The Berry/Ludwig recording is the one I happen to own, but I just looked at Amazon and there are quite a few recordings of the opera, several of which feature singers whose names appear to be Hungarian.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2004, 11:22:42 AM »

Good point. Still, from the way the role was played, I couldn't help but think that either the lyricist or the director had screwed up.

The lyricist, Sheldon Harnick, is the Living Human I Admire Most ... I think he knew exactly what he was doing when he wrote "wondering why an illiterate girl should attract him."  Remember, it's been suggested to Ilona that she go to the library to feign an interest in reading as a way to meet men.  The song, A Trip to the Library, is her success story.

I didn't see the production in question, so I can neither defend nor condemn the director.  But I take it that what you saw created a conflict in your mind, and that can't be good.

I, too, was going to say The Philadelphia Story for Kate the great.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2004, 11:39:10 AM »

Hello, DR Elmore - forgot to say hello when you were here before. On the 9th I'm seeing Bluebeard's Castle at the Hungarian Opera Theater. So far, nobody wants to come with me. Can't imagine why. A fun evening of opening doors a la Bartok.

DRPanni, I would accompany you to BLUEBEARD'S CASTLE with great enthusiasm, but I admit I'd rather be watching Offenbach's comedy version of the story more.  I'm enjoying your travels and travails immensely.  More photos, s'il vous plait.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William E. Lurie

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2004, 11:40:09 AM »

Something that bothered me in the revival, and I wonder if it happened in any other productions. Sally Mayes as Ilona asks why "an illiterate girl would attract him." Yet elsewhere in the show, she is scribbling in (and, I imagine, reading) a ledger. Maybe the lyric wasn't meant to be taken that literally - but I wondered why the director (I assume) included the ledger business.

At Papermill she was never seen reading or writing, but she did operate the cash register.  I guess you don't need to read or write to know numbers and arithmetic. ???
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2004, 11:43:29 AM »

I didn't really care for Mr. Ellis' production of She Loves Me, although it did work better at the Roundabout with Judy Kuhn than it did in its subsequent transfer.

And yet you recorded it!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2004, 11:46:16 AM »

By the way... how could I have read the clarification while I was on my way to and then at Papermill?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2004, 11:56:46 AM »

Favorite Kate movies (in alphabetical order):

ADAM'S RIB
AFRICAN QUEEN
DESK SET
GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER
HOLIDAY
ON GOLDEN POND
PHILADELPHIA STORY
SUMMERTIME
WOMAN OF THE YEAR

Now it's lunch time. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2004, 12:03:29 PM »

DiT I can’t imagine Joan Rivers as anything but obnoxious.  When we lived in PA she wanted to develop an area near us and make it a great location for stars to move to.  One of her many obnoxious arguments against the protesters who didn’t want the land developed is she was going go bring “class” to the area and improve the quality of people.  That went over big! ;D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2004, 12:06:23 PM »

Noel,

There may be Living Human Beings I admire more than Sheldon Harnick, but I think extremely highly of his work. She Loves Me is flawless, but I believe some directorial touches (DR Elmore pointed to another weakness) worked against the Roundabout production.

As for trips to the library, when I was in college several classmates used to hang out in the medical library, hoping to snag a doctor. One came close - she met and ultimately married a pharmacist.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 12:07:08 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jane

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2004, 12:12:17 PM »

Noel, to me the bridge from NJ to Pennsylvania is in Lambertville crossing into New Hope.  I don’t recall the bridge to Pennsylvania from Frenchtown, but then it has been a long time since we were there.  We would go twice a year, once in the fall and in the spring for Mother’s day.  We would order our lunch and sit outside with a view of the river.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2004, 12:13:46 PM »

One of her many obnoxious arguments against the protesters who didn't want the land developed was she was going to bring class to the area and improve the quality of people.  That went over big! ;D

That's a riot, Jane. I think the more cosmetic surgery she has, the less funny she gets. I enjoyed her when she was able to put herself down ("I'm such a terrible cook, Mexicans get the runs from my food"), but that didn't happen at last night's performance. And at the end of the show, she sort of tried to explain why her humor was valid and even well-meaning. Puh-lease.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 12:18:07 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jane

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2004, 12:17:37 PM »

Jane, that picture of me was taken about five minutes before I posted it.  The miracle of computer generated graphics.  I thought all of you would be dressed up and I didn’t want to be left out.

I'm curious, what was the original photo you "dressed up"?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2004, 12:23:45 PM »

DR Noel,

I agree of course that there has to be room for idiom in songs - "illiterate" does not have to be taken literally.

From what I've read, Richard Rodgers was a stickler when it came to language. That's good, but I think it took the fun out of his own lyrics. Unless you call "Be my host," and "love makes the world go square" fun.

My guess is that Rodgers would have objected to "He'll only have eyes for me, my optometrist Paul." Grammatically speaking, the popular song on which that line plays should have it:

"I have eyes for you only."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 12:25:56 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2004, 12:31:57 PM »

I tried to post twice before, but it wouldn't "take"

Many a bridge crosses the Delaware, which doesn't get all that wide.  One bridge you cross goes straight through Frenchtown, and that panini place is on the North side of the street.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2004, 12:35:16 PM »

From yesterday, Jane...I actually bought some Technu products Saturday.  Is it still effective to use the wash after the skin has already blistered?

I wash the area multiple times during the day and then put some Cortizone-10 ointment on.  

Jane

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2004, 12:43:13 PM »

AFRICAN QUEEN
BRINGING UP BABY
DESK SET
PHILADELPHIA STORY

Stuart, I’m chuckling over the story of the little three year old.

MBarnum your home is charming. :D

Panni I think it was wise of you to pass on the strange political dolls. :-\

Ginny I enjoyed your Desk Set story.  Keith was a librarian, years ago.

DiT I forgot to mention, not surprisingly, Joan Rivers did not get the building permit.

Noel now I want to take a drive to Frenchtown.  I’m sure at one time I was familiar with all of the bridges.  I went on line and it appears the town has grown a bit since I was there, but still looks charming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2004, 01:28:33 PM »

bk, did you find it a daunting task to do the cast recording of the ROundabout SHE LOVES ME with the spectre of that almost perfect original cast SHE LOVES ME always hovering over everyone's heads? Other than the somewhat tinny sound on the original, I can't think of anything else wrong with it.

I will forever feel fortunate that I saw the original SHE LOVES ME. The revival closed before I could get to NYC to see it, but I most certainly would have seen it had it stayed open longer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2004, 01:30:14 PM »

Thinking about the quick closing of SHE LOVES ME reminded me that the Rooundabout has disappointed me at least three times with premature closings: SHE LOVES ME, 1776, and ASSASSINS.

And I almost missed FOLLIES, too. I saw their revival on the next to the last night of its run.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 01:31:06 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2004, 01:33:15 PM »

I'm going to be taking a walk in a little while, but I should then be able to watch a film this evening. I had NO CLUE what movie I'll pick to watch. I've got the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON set waiting, and I may choose the second or third one of those. (I've never even seen #3 though I might want to see #2 again since it's been a long time since I've seen it. I watched the original not too long ago on the original DVD release.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2004, 02:15:16 PM »

DRMATTH - I like REVENGE OF THE CREATURE with Lori Nelson and John Agar and John Bromfield (and one scene for Clint Eastwood).....CREATURE WALKS AMONG US is pretty far down on the list for me....but it does have Leigh Snowden who was Mrs. Dick Contino - the accordion man.

The creature (on land) in the original CFTBL was played by Ben Chapman, Jr - a young guy who was a swimmer and had a Tahitian dance act with his sister in LA.  He was also a surfing and dancing buddy of Johnny Sheffield who used to join him and his sister onstage at the Roosevelt Hotel (between Bomba outings at Monogram).

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2004, 02:17:43 PM »

By the way... how could I have read the clarification while I was on my way to and then at Papermill?

Well, DR WEL, I posted my clarification on Friday, so... Unless you were walking to Papermill... ;-)

Btw, as I think I've mentioned before, I like Nancy Anderson a lot too.  I've had the pleasure of playing for some auditions and callbacks for her in NYC.  Great energy!  The girl has spunk!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2004, 02:19:31 PM »

The revival recording of She Loves Me: It was the first cast album I procured for Varese.  I hadn't, as yet, produced a real cast album myself and I got talked into using the fellow who is listed as producer.  So, it wasn't daunting to me.  What was daunting was watching the endless bad choices this gentleman made, especially during the mix.  I offered my two cents, which generally went unheeded.  I did dig in my heels once about several lines in a vocal which I felt were too low in the mix.  I was ignored.  When he was editing it together (I sat silently in the back of the room, not so pleased with what I was hearing - way too much synth for my taste), it got to that point in whatever song it was and he heard it and turned to me and said, "I have to go back and remix that - you can't hear the vocal enough."   I think any dear reader that knows me knows that I just about leapt across the room to grab him and kill him.  There was no money for him to remix and reedit and I told him that next time he should try listening to someone who was just there to help.  We had a huge fight, but I stuck to my guns.  After that experience, I jumped in and produced all the rest of the cast albums I did.  I should have done that one, too, but he made it seem as if it were some kind of mystical thing, producing a cast album.  That it was very difficult technically and all that.  Of course, after doing my first I found it wasn't difficult at all, it was easy, as long as you were prepared and as long as you had a good set of ears and knew how to talk to actors.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2004, 02:20:59 PM »

OH!!!  And as of a few minutes ago, I will now be in NYC next week with my friend, Steve.  We'll be coming up Tuesday morning and heading back late Thursday night.  Alas, just a quick trip, but a trip nonetheless - I just need my NYC fix.  I'm not sure if we'll be seeing any shows this time round - we may just TKTS everything - but we will be attending the final dress of the new CINDERELLA at City Opera, so that should be fun.

...Now to make dinner reservations!!!  -It's always about the food! :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up