Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: IF YOU ASK ME  (Read 23764 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:IF YOU ASK ME
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2004, 10:58:32 AM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2004, 10:58:48 AM »

Does anyone... still wear... a hat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »

It's called a bowler hat - I have no wife.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2004, 11:01:04 AM »

Does anyone happen to have a stereo copy of Baker Street that they'd be willing to copy for me??  I'd greatly be grateful! ;D

I was sure I did, DR George, and then I just walked back to the LPs and checked: my copy of BAKER STREET is mono! I'm so sorry.  :(

My BAKER STREET is Monaural as well.

Thanks for checking, Matt and Jack!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2004, 11:02:16 AM »

It's called a bowler hat - I have no wife.

I am my own wife. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2004, 11:02:39 AM »

YW.

We lost Tebaldi.....my fear is that Scotti is still around somewhere.  Someone please tell me I'm wrong!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2004, 11:12:28 AM »

***Feel better vibes to DR Elmore!***

DD has arrived. Abie was so cute. He saw here, paused, then ran up to her crying as he kissed her. He kept sort of happily whimpering like that for about 10 minutes.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2004, 11:12:52 AM »

Glad to her your dad is safe and sound at home, Jose.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2004, 11:18:26 AM »

I have Baker Street in Stereo, George.  Email me.

But, yes, it is due on CD--Max Preeo confirmed this to me personally last week after I posted a query on his CASTRECL.  However, shortly thereafter, someone who knew Alexander Cohen and the various writers claimed that it would be a cold day in you know where when the rights issues would be resolved and a CD would see the light of day.

Re:  Jose's mother helping with his Dad's discharge.  There's a joke in there somewhere, but I defer to TCB.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2004, 11:19:35 AM »

my fear is that Scotti is still around somewhere.  Someone please tell me I'm wrong!

I thought Scotti got beamed up ages ago.   ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2004, 11:24:27 AM »

Anya from the MGM catalog also still needs to be released.  Now, I love The Annastasia Affair, produced by.....well, someone whose name escapes me at the moment  :P, but I'd still love to hear the OCR with those great orchestrations remastered for CD.  I have that in Stereo, too, if anyone cares.

There used to be a great used record store on Melrose right down the block from the Paramount gate (where Frances met Leif, supposedly) called A-1 Record Finders that had an amazing selection of still-sealed OCRs.  I spent much money there over the years before everything started getting released on CD (coincidentally about 5 minutes after I stopped spending money there).

George

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2004, 11:26:45 AM »

I have Baker Street in Stereo, George.  Email me.

I just did!

JMK

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2004, 11:32:16 AM »

And may I just add at this propitious occasion:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=10]UDAHO!![/size][/move]

JMK

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2004, 11:33:21 AM »

There was a very funny book my Mom gave all of us for a stocking stuffer many years ago entitled:

UTAH--Gateway to Idaho.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2004, 11:44:28 AM »

WHAT IF?  a revue on CD!!

A completely SUBJECTIVE opinion.

We are, of course, dealing with two different media.  The lucky ones are those who saw WHAT IF? live and in person.  But then again, we are lucky because we can see it second-hand, as it were.  THE DVD IS ENHANCED FOR WIDESCREEN TV'S AND IN STEREO SOUND.  There I said it, and I'm glad.

Writer-director Bruce Kimmel has come up with a clever (in the best sense of the word) way to present old material in a new way.  With a cast of five professional audience pleasers and one mugger, we are taken on a terrific journey.  Pianist Jose Simbulan's fingers never leave the keyboard and he is a talented and versatile musician.

The first number explains how WHAT IF? came to be - details of which I do not have to repeat for the HHW'ers here on the board.  Costumes and staging for the opening number promise a great evening.

Alet Taylor is a joy in the first solo of the night "Show Me."   She is pretty and funny and talented.  We then get our first full What If.... of  the evening:  a Bock & Harnick A CHORUS LINE.  Led by Paul Haber you know immediately that you are in the hands of a writer who knows his stuff, a costumer (uncredited on the DVD) who can suggest an icon with a color, and a pair of choreographers (Cheryl Baxter & Joseph McKee) who can put a foot and/or hand in exactly the RIGHT place.  Funny stuff.

Tammy Minoff does her first solo turn "Times Like This".  It is sweet and ironic and simple AND effective.  This is followed by Haber's solo "Something" the first knock-out of the park of the evening solo wise.  Set up perfectly by all that has gone before, it settles us in and prepares us for the rest of the evening.

The duet of "At the Same Time" by Tammy and Ryan Raftery is next.  Cute song - clever bits.  Nice.  

Ryan has already threatened to sing "Don't Rain on My Parade" but gets stopped variously throughout the show.

Next we have BK's take on Irving Berlin's WEST SIDE STORY.  On the money staging, accents, and a perfect button make this a crowd pleaser.

Susanne Blakeslee is next with her first solo "A Little Lift."  Comic song done in an ironic tone, particularly ironic since it is being sung by a beautiful woman.  It made me feel a little uncomfortable, but it was well done.

Paul is back for "Millions of Men" - another home run for the team.

The Phantom of the Opera What If.... is well written and played, staged okay....and here is the first time we see the ladies look very lovely in long gowns.    This is followed by Alet solo on "When You're Waiting for Love" - sweet.  Her off the shoulder gown is beautiful.

Then Tammy knocks her solo out of the park.  "I Want to be Annie" the story of a little girl who auditions for the coveted role and finally gets to do it!  Clever rhythms and lyrics are delivered perfectly.  I love this song and Tammy has a ball doing it!

Then Ryan Raftery does "Born Too Late."

The first act finale is the What If.....The Yiddish Sondheim.  Some nice solo work (the ladies' trio is a stand-out) and staging and a good way to send the audience out for a smoke.  

A nice title card tells us INTERMISSION.

Act Two opens with Susanne as Maria/Julie Andrews in the R/H What If....ASSASSINS.  Joined by the cast in German Band mode - I liked this number a lot.   The costuming was perfect - Suzanne's "Julie" was on the money!  Very funny.

Then Ryan sang "I Don't Need You."  

Frank Loesser didn't write GUYS AND DOLLS - he wrote "THE KING AND I" and this number with Paul as King and Ryan as the Krolahome was so very funny.  A couple of signs explained some of the puns, and Paul with his shirt off and his undie waistband showing was a rather undignified King....looking for some "I."  Hiilarious.

Susanne then sang another "put down" song "A Little Neurotic."  Gosh - she is so pretty and so talented, which I guess is the point of this particular song....what we see is not how someone feels about themselves - but two of them in the same show - whew.   Nicely done.

Couple of guys sitting in a bar, Paul and Ryan, sing about "Foolin' Ourselves" and the setting is really perfect.    Nice song.

Then we have the What If.... of Loesser and then Jerry Herman doing SWEENEY TODD.  I don't like SWEENEY TODD at all, I have found that most of the people who do like it are NOT audience members, but performers who appreciate what the singers are doing....maybe someday I will like it, but I don't, so sue me.  The cast as waiters and Paul as Sweeney were good....but if the original material is not something I appreciate, I can't really get into a What If... about it....  If you like the original, you will love this.

Tammy next sings "Simply" a lovely song.  But she is wearing the only costume mistake of the evening.  The dress is not flattering, doesn't reflect the song, doesn't fit well. and whew!  Tammy through her talent prevails, but it's a close call.  

Susanne follows with "Better" which is really a nice song, and probably my favorite song she does in the show.  This woman knows her stuff, knows where to hit the emotion, when to hold back, and when to let us have it.  

BROADWAY COMING ATTRACTIONS....funny funny funny.  You have to see it....you have to. Too many funny moments to talk about, although my favorite has to be the "Violence" clip!

Uh-oh....the song I looked most forward to.  A song I didn't even know a year ago.  A song that should have been the highlight of the second act, is destroyed by mugging, impossible phrasing, and a complete mis-understanding of its intent.  I am outraged.  Ryan kills "Chinese Food in Bed."  

Alet perks things up quickly with "If I Can't Take It With Me" in a great dress and sitting on the piano.  There is some clumsy staging in this song, but it ends up okay.  I guess I just wanted her to do MORE!  

Then we have our last What If....Sondheim's BYE BYE BIRDIE.  Cute and on the button again, musically, lyrically, staging and costuming.  And while none of the parody reaches the delirious heights of "Oy Oy Oy" in the Sondheim Yiddish theatre of the first act - form follows function, and it's a lot of FUN!!!

Finale!  Bows!  The End!

Thanks to Mr BK for sharing this DVD with us.  And remember everything I have written is subjective - and of course seeing something on DVD is not like seeing it live!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 12:32:56 PM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2004, 11:46:03 AM »

JMK step back from the camera!!  I meant to tell you that yesterday!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 11:52:11 AM by JRand54 »

JMK

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2004, 11:52:15 AM »

JMK step back from the camera!!  I meant to tell you that yesterday!

You mean you weren't aware that I am the human equivalent of a bobble-head doll?  I'm crushed.   :'(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2004, 11:53:51 AM »

Oh well if that's what you were going for DRJMK - uh - congratulations.  I thought if was your face reflected in a spoon!

JMK

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2004, 11:56:07 AM »

Actually it's the way these avatars seem to upload--they get "squeezed" horizontally.  The original picture is wider.  I look like I'm de-anamorphically unenhanced.  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2004, 11:56:49 AM »

Somebody please tell my true love that I don't want 7 swans. I don't even want one swan....So NO SWANS, true love. And while we're at it, just return the geese to the geese boutique. I'm really not big on birds.
You could always send 'em over to the butcher, and have 'em prepped for a gorgeous Christmas dinner!  Goose breasts are yummilicious, amd I'm sure swans are good eats, too!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2004, 11:58:53 AM »

LOL...that's it DRJMK - you are missing your CinemaScope lens on the projector!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2004, 11:59:25 AM »

JRand54, I'm not a musical performer and I love Sweeny Todd.  It is my favourite musical of all time.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2004, 12:08:58 PM »

JRand54, I'm not a musical performer and I love Sweeny Todd.  It is my favourite musical of all time.

DRJRand54, I have to support DRCharlesPogue on this as well; I saw the original Broadway production with Lansbury & Cariou 6 times between June 19, 1979, and their departure from the show in March 1980.  I thought the York Theatre transfer of TEENY TODD, directed by some woman, was poorly cast, and I've enjoyed two City Opera performances.  I think the piece is one of the great twentieth century operas, and I look forward to seeing it again.  Is it my favorite?  No, I think there are other musicals and operas I like more, but SWEENEY TODD is high on my list.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2004, 12:10:40 PM »

Now, where's my WHAT IF?  Damn the post office! Curse them!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2004, 12:13:51 PM »

The NY Times today has this to say: "Pentagon seeks to expand role in intelligence."  Given my feelings on the war in Iraq and the current administration, I found it both amusing and sad.  Being a kind soul, I wish them luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2004, 12:18:29 PM »

I stand corrected, but I still dont' like the show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2004, 12:20:11 PM »

I agree with most of jrand's review.  As readers of this site know all too well, I had the most problems with a certain cast member who, while talented and funny, could not do consistently what was asked of him.   Chinese Food was VERY difficult and I don't know why, really.  Ask Jose how many times I badgered the young man, and how many times I made him run the song - but, one finally gives up and gets the thing to work as best it can.  The audiences, who were not familiar with any other version of the song, did like it, though, even the mugging.  The song is also in the unenviable position of following the funniest thing in the show.

I also agree about Tammy's dress - it was a last resort, one of about ten I saw and rejected and which were worse.  If we do the show again, she will be dressed in nice pants and a nice top - simply.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2004, 12:22:11 PM »

And yes, the Broadway Sweeney was one of the great experiences.  If you've only seen the warmed-over George Hearn video, it doesn't hold a candle to the Cariou original.  But, I can see that if one sees a lesser uninteresting production how it might be a trial.  For example, I really liked Pacific Overtures in the Prince staging on Broadway and have hated, really hated, every other production of it I've seen.  You wouldn't know it was the same show.  Same with Follies.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2004, 12:27:05 PM »

Very soon I shall be on my way to what purports to be the Geffen Playhouse but which is, in fact, only a facsimile of the Geffen Playhouse, since the real Geffen Playhouse is being remodeled.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2004, 12:30:49 PM »

;D

Subjective, as I said.  I hope we get other opinions as the DVD's hit mailboxes across the country.

And yes I could tell the audience was responding to a particular versin of "Chinese Food in Bed" - just wasn't what I wanted....hehehe.

And I agree completely with "sometimes" you just have to let some things go and get on with it.

Oh my, there were worse dresses?!   :P

Gotta dream, boy, gotta a song?

Paint your wagon and come along!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 12:31:23 PM by JRand54 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up