Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RUTH'S CHRIS EFFECT  (Read 14819 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE RUTH'S CHRIS EFFECT
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »

From DR George:
I think DR lechienfou's name changed...not that there's anything wrong with that  ;)

I'm confused  ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2014, 03:26:41 PM »

10:15am is practically the middle of the day. :)

I was mowing the yard at 10:15 am, having been up for 3 1/2 hours already

Cillaliz

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2014, 03:33:48 PM »

I've been E and T because I went to Estherville to go to the funeral for my sister in law's father.   It was actually a great experience.  All his children and grand children were there from all over the country, from Washington state to Florida to Michigan to Colorado.  It was a family reunion and mom and dad and I were included.   I met everyone at their family reunion a few years ago.  It was so nice to see everyone.  I also got to spend time with my grand nephew Gabe.  I LOVED that.   

Bob, the deceased, was instrumental in making sure they had family reunions every few years and everyone attended in one part of the country or another.   So, it was very appropriate for his funeral to also be a family reunion

Jane

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »

I slept extremely late today, until almost 8:00, but then I didn't fall asleep until close to 3:30.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2014, 03:36:42 PM »

DR Cilla sometimes funerals can be nice, especially when they truly honor the person as this one did.

Cillaliz

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »

DR Cilla sometimes funerals can be nice, especially when they truly honor the person as this one did.

Here's a link to his obituary  http://www.esthervilledailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/519700/Robert-John-Foote.html?nav=5004   Bob was an interesting man.  He was always happy, even when he was in Assisted Living then the nursing home and finally in hospice.  He almost made 90

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »

That reminds me I need to make my memorial donation. 

Laura

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2014, 03:51:36 PM »

That's very nice, Cillaliz.

I have never met my SIL's parents or BIL's parents.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2014, 03:55:14 PM »

After seeing Philomena, I decided to watch The Magdalene Sisters, which is a much more brutal - perhaps more honest - look at the Magdalen laundries run by Ireland's Catholic church. The documentary "Sex In A Cold Climate," which is the only special feature on the DVD, is about four victims of these laundries who were the inspiration for the three main characters in the film. Their personal stories about their time in the laundries are much more horrifying than anything in the film itself.

I don't know any of the Irish actresses, but Geraldine McEwen, whom I've loved as Lucia in the Mapp/Lucia PBS adaptations, is terrifying as the bullying mother superior.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2014, 04:22:38 PM »

From DR George:
I think DR lechienfou's name changed...not that there's anything wrong with that  ;)

I'm confused  ;D

You and me both!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »

Seventy posts at 4:23 p.m. on the left coast?  Really?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »

And 1 Guest is the only other person here!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2014, 04:25:46 PM »

I'm not sure I can do much to help this situation.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2014, 04:26:28 PM »

Oh great, now we have 2 Guests and me!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »

I've been E and T because I went to Estherville to go to the funeral for my sister in law's father.   It was actually a great experience.  All his children and grand children were there from all over the country, from Washington state to Florida to Michigan to Colorado.  It was a family reunion and mom and dad and I were included.   I met everyone at their family reunion a few years ago.  It was so nice to see everyone.  I also got to spend time with my grand nephew Gabe.  I LOVED that.   

Bob, the deceased, was instrumental in making sure they had family reunions every few years and everyone attended in one part of the country or another.   So, it was very appropriate for his funeral to also be a family reunion

Washington State?  Did they know me?
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »

And me. But only for a moment.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »

I've been watching the first 2 episodes of season 2 of ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK.  It's tempting to binge on it, but I don't want to miss the Miss USA Pageant Tony Awards.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2014, 04:34:08 PM »

Washington State?  Did they know me?

Keith was from Marysville and taught school in Everett.  I'm sorry I didn't ask if he knows you.

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2014, 04:34:32 PM »

Welcome back, DR Cillaliz. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2014, 04:41:43 PM »

And me. But only for a moment.

Then explain-lol

Jane

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2014, 04:45:56 PM »

Here's a link to his obituary  http://www.esthervilledailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/519700/Robert-John-Foote.html?nav=5004   Bob was an interesting man.  He was always happy, even when he was in Assisted Living then the nursing home and finally in hospice.  He almost made 90

To always be happy is a rare ability.  Thank you for sharing this. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2014, 04:49:17 PM »

Well, it's time for bed.  I checked and I actually need to work concessions starting at 10:30 am, not 11:00 am!  I don't like to do things early on the weekends, but they needed someone and the shift ends early enough so that I won't miss The Tony Awards!

Good night, all!

I'm finally back.  Today's concessions session was fairly light.  The dance school end-of-year showcases were four one-hour blocks, and I only had to stay for the first two.  After I left, I went to Taco Del Mar for some dinner (I had a $5 off punch card!) and now I'm home.  Time to ketchup on all the posts, then it's THE TONY AWARDS!! :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:55:33 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »

then, early in this decade, the Gershwin estate, in what I believe was an attempt to extend the copyright, decided Porgy and Bess needed to be saved and turned into a musical theatre piece. Who cares what George, Ira or Dubose would think of the of this idea: they can't complain; THEY'RE ALL DEAD!. So the graverobbers dug up the body and cut it apart. 

Just from that point of view, a gratuitous oldie:
(tune of Someone to Watch Over Me)

There are someones who we long to berate
Woe is our fate;
Make them think straight
The ones who watch our estate

All we want is for our heirs to behave
It feels like they’ve
Deepened our grave

Although it’s not as big an earner
As Rodgers or Lerner
Some props for the folks who create

You would think they had no food on their plate
Couldn’t they wait?
Oh how we hate

:))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2014, 04:55:56 PM »

Excellent post re Porgy and Bess, Mr. DR Elmore, sir.

Agreed!

George

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »

I am dragging today , I guess standing and cooking  all took it out of me  I ache all over

This morning I was the lay reader, hosted coffee hour and was altar guild   I juts want to crawl into bed  but friends who came to our dinner last night asked me to see Die, Mommie, Die with them today so I am leaving in about 15 minutes to go there

I know nothing about it,  but to me, it sounds like a show that would be put on bu George's theatre group

I think that it could be, too!

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2014, 05:05:35 PM »

I just ate the orange slices that were floating in yesterday's Mimosa Punch.  What Sondheim lyric does that bring to mind?

George

« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »

DR Jennifer I have never heard of a pool closing the deep end.

Neither have I.  The pool that I used to go to when I was a kid was either open or not.

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2014, 05:10:14 PM »

Welcome back, DR Cillaliz. 

Thanks.   

George

« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »

From DR George:

I'm confused  ;D

When I first saw that post, the name of the poster was different.  Then when someone quoted the post (I forget who), the displayed name was different.  And the "...not that there's anything wrong with that" part of my post is a quote from "Seinfeld."

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »

To always be happy is a rare ability.  Thank you for sharing this. 

Well, he had his moments ;)  but in general, he never complained
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up