Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEEKEND IS UPON US  (Read 5920 times)

FJL

Re: THE WEEKEND IS UPON US
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »

Page 5?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2018, 06:39:52 PM »

I have a recollection of being very young at the pizza store on Avenue J across form the Midwood Theatre in Brooklyn.  I can't remember why i did this, but I was scraping the cheese off my pizza and eating only the delicious cheese and sauce part, and leaving the crust.  And someone in my family group said "You're pulling the pizza's face off."  I said, "But I don't want to eat the bread part."  And this relative said, "How would you like it if someone was pulling your face off?  You wouldn't like it, would you?"

I recall thinking I wouldn't care that much about my face being pulled off if I were being consumed and eaten alive by a monster or something like that, would I? 

What an awful thing to say to a child ;D

Jane

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2018, 06:41:13 PM »

Wae-Ling thought it was the greatest thing EVER; Sandra doesn't see what all the hype was about.

I am glad Wae-Ling is happy.  Sandra makes me glad I didn't see it. 

Jane

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »

Wae-Ling thought it was the greatest thing EVER; Sandra doesn't see what all the hype was about.

I;'m glad I saw HAMILTON early, in previews!  After hearing about any show for 2-1/2 years, I don't think anything but the original company of HAMLET could live up to expectations.  But it felt like quite a miracle, pretty fresh in previews.  (at regular prices, before tickets got up to post-opening levels)

Before the hype is always best.

FJL

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2018, 06:46:17 PM »

I have a recollection of being very young at the pizza store on Avenue J across form the Midwood Theatre in Brooklyn.  I can't remember why i did this, but I was scraping the cheese off my pizza and eating only the delicious cheese and sauce part, and leaving the crust.  And someone in my family group said "You're pulling the pizza's face off."  I said, "But I don't want to eat the bread part."  And this relative said, "How would you like it if someone was pulling your face off?  You wouldn't like it, would you?"

I recall thinking I wouldn't care that much about my face being pulled off if I were being consumed and eaten alive by a monster or something like that, would I? 

What an awful thing to say to a child ;D

I like to think it was said in good-natured humor - but I suspect it was a reaction to buying slices of pizza and my wasting the bread.  Clearly, no one was going to eat the dough part after I scraped the delicious cheese part off, even though I did it neatly.   :)

FJL

« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »

I;'m glad I saw HAMILTON early, in previews!  After hearing about any show for 2-1/2 years, I don't think anything but the original company of HAMLET could live up to expectations.  But it felt like quite a miracle, pretty fresh in previews.  (at regular prices, before tickets got up to post-opening levels)

Before the hype is always best.

And cheaper, or at least non-premium price, is always best, too.  (20 or 30 years ago, would we have imagined a day when theatergoers thought getting a seat for $170, even for a hit show, was a bargain?)

With the selling frenzy for DEAR EVAN HANSEN, I'm so glad I saw it off-Broadway, before premium price became the norm for that show once it was on Broadway, too.  And that show is in a small-ish Broadway house, so the demand was insane.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:54:27 PM by FJL »

Jane

« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2018, 06:57:50 PM »

Cheaper is definitely better.

Jane

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »

Keith is popping corn and we are going to watch "Norman" which came in the mail today from Netflix.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2018, 07:18:21 PM »

Proofer has come and gone and I'm watching a motion picture.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »

Thanks DR GEORGE.

LOL DR JANE - maybe they've just moved on....I had trouble finding a photo for one guy....he was in NONE of the four yearbooks for our high school years....I thought I was going to have to use one of his numerous online mug shots....but I found him in a CLUB photo of a club he was in....running the radial saw....

Nice pizza stories from DR AMY and DR FJL.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »

Congrats to MR BK on his fine work in the workshop!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »

I watched A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT again tonight, I really like that movie.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2018, 07:45:51 PM »

What kind of pizza does not involve melted cheese?  (he asks, truly bewildered)

;D

Pesto pizza for one ;)

Or pizza without cheese...my aunt is allergic, so she orders it without any. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2018, 07:46:21 PM »

Three-hour workshop was really fun.  Fifteen people.  And while they were all very nervous by the end of it they really were having a good time.  I'm pretty good at this stuff and keep it all so positive and I have my little tricks.  One girl, who literally could not hear pitches, sang on pitch by the end of it because I talked her through it patiently and gave her my secret tips.  It bowled her and everyone else in the room over. 

That's so cool!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2018, 07:50:46 PM »

Could someone have a dessert pizza?

Of course!  Pizza Hut used to have a dessert pizza that was like an open-faced apple pie with crumbles.  It was totally delish!

George

« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2018, 07:55:14 PM »

Well, I got to the theater a little late and found out that they somehow oversold 30 tickets! :o Of course, it's great that so many people want to see the show, but it sucks if any can't get to, after paying for their tickets. 

George

« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »

They were able to move a bunch of people to tomorrow's final show, and they were able to add 15 or so seats for tonight.  I think everyone will be able to get in...just absolutely no walk-up tickets will be available tomorrow.

George

« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2018, 07:56:15 PM »

And now, back to the show!

Jane

« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »

LOL DR JANE - maybe they've just moved on....I had trouble finding a photo for one guy....he was in NONE of the four yearbooks for our high school years....I thought I was going to have to use one of his numerous online mug shots....but I found him in a CLUB photo of a club he was in....running the radial saw....

😃

Jane

« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2018, 07:58:23 PM »

Of course!  Pizza Hut used to have a dessert pizza that was like an open-faced apple pie with crumbles.  It was totally delish!

I don't remember this.

George

« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »

I don't remember this.

Maybe it was a regional offering.  I didn't see it on their website, but they definitely used to have it.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2018, 08:38:26 PM »

TOD:
I couldn't tell you about my very first pizza, but as a child, my family always went to Round Table pizza. That chain is crazy expensive now, but it couldn't have been that way 40 years ago or else my dad would never have picked that place. We always got a large with sausage and mushrooms, and a medium pepperoni with olives. I also remember around that same era going out for pizza with a friend, and her parents asked me what I liked on my pizza and I said, "salami". I think my parents never told me that stuff I'd been eating on pizza for years, that looked like dry salami, was actually called "pepperoni".
These days, we like Toppers. Mark, the weirdo, hates melted cheese. Can you imagine? Who could hate melted cheese!? So, we have to get two small separate pizzas.
I am enjoying the plethora of all the build-your-own-pizza places popping up everywhere. It's shocking how many of them there are now. We just went to a brand new one last night called Blaze. It was good. We've been going to Mod Pizza because we like it better than Pieology.

Great stories, Amy. When I was younger, I hated most melted cheese — except a good or s blue box macaroni and cheese. It’s because I think American cheese tastes like a petroleum product. To this day, I rarely get a cheeseburger, except with blue cheese. And I’m still leery of orange grilled cheese sandwiches. I need to know that I’m eating cheese, not cheese food.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2018, 08:49:29 PM »

Joy passed her test. We danced well. But it was strange/funny: Joy kept telling me beforehand that we didn’t have to dance all that much, that the test giver would tell us to stop after about a minute, then we could change roles and dance it again. Well, he never told us to stop. Any time. So we danced two or more minutes on each. When we were finished, Joy asked why he didn’t stop us. “We had time,” he said. “And you looked good.” I did screw up a few times, especially as we went on and on, so I didn’t care for that response at the time. It’s actually a compliment as the test giver is a past world champion.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2018, 08:51:43 PM »

Afterward we went to the nearby Chinatown area for a celebratory dinner of chicken feet, turnip cake and beef tripe. We also had crab, shrimp, tofu, squid and pea shoots, altogether too much wonderful food.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »

No pizza.
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2018, 08:54:31 PM »

Thanks DR GEORGE.

Didn't video kill the radial saw?   

Or was that after the photo was taken?

FJL

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »

Joy passed her test. We danced well. But it was strange/funny: Joy kept telling me beforehand that we didn’t have to dance all that much, that the test giver would tell us to stop after about a minute, then we could change roles and dance it again. Well, he never told us to stop. Any time. So we danced two or more minutes on each. When we were finished, Joy asked why he didn’t stop us. “We had time,” he said. “And you looked good.” I did screw up a few times, especially as we went on and on, so I didn’t care for that response at the time. It’s actually a compliment as the test giver is a past world champion.

Yes, really a nice compliment!  Congrats to Joy, and you!!

George

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2018, 09:13:07 PM »

Congrats to Joy and to you!

George

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2018, 09:15:18 PM »

So far, the show is going very well! 

George

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »

And now, it's done!  One more show and it's completely over!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up