Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEEKEND IS UPON US  (Read 5875 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE WEEKEND IS UPON US
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »

Thanks DR elmore.  Native Tongue looks good.  Should I begin with the first book in the series before reading this one?

Native Tongue
has a wonderful old lady who reminds me so much of my Aunt Dorothy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »

Page 4 Dance!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »

I can't remember the first time I had pizza.  We would have it occasionally in restaurants or a frozen one at home for a quick snack.  Piece O' Pizza is the first pizza place I can recall.  My guess is it was on Pico, Keith said La Cienega. Bruce & Jeanne do you remember where it was.

Piece O' Pizza was decent.  Sometimes my mother would stop and pick one up as a treat. 

Jane

« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2018, 04:10:11 PM »

More vivid is my memory of when I discovered delicious pizza, something I wanted to eat on a regular basis.

Bruce & DR Jeanne will not be surprised when I say that was the first time I had La Barbera's pizza.  It was a sad day when this family restaurant on Wilshire Blvd. closed.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »

Thanks for correcting that, George! 

No problem!  Thanks for the article. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2018, 05:19:16 PM »

DR GINNY's travel should be fine this evening.....although snow is predicted for tomorrow morning.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »

I am finished....yes finished....done.....the end!

Yes, after about 12 hours of non-continuous work, I have completed the slide show for the 50th Reunion of my high school class of 1968.  The yearbook was published in some process that made all of the photos very light....so in addition to being cropped, the light levels on all of them had to be corrected.

And of course, the first time I had some slides reversed and a couple of misspellings - but those have been corrected.

So let it be written - so let it be done.

I DID NOT DO THE MEMORIAL SLIDE SHOW for the 26 class members who have gone on to their rewards....or punishment in the case of a couple of them....hopefully the organizers will get me the DATES I need to complete that.  I have already cropped and corrected the pictures....so I just need the info for the headstones, so to speak.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »

Congrats, Jrand!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Amy

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »

TOD:
I couldn't tell you about my very first pizza, but as a child, my family always went to Round Table pizza. That chain is crazy expensive now, but it couldn't have been that way 40 years ago or else my dad would never have picked that place. We always got a large with sausage and mushrooms, and a medium pepperoni with olives. I also remember around that same era going out for pizza with a friend, and her parents asked me what I liked on my pizza and I said, "salami". I think my parents never told me that stuff I'd been eating on pizza for years, that looked like dry salami, was actually called "pepperoni".
These days, we like Toppers. Mark, the weirdo, hates melted cheese. Can you imagine? Who could hate melted cheese!? So, we have to get two small separate pizzas.
I am enjoying the plethora of all the build-your-own-pizza places popping up everywhere. It's shocking how many of them there are now. We just went to a brand new one last night called Blaze. It was good. We've been going to Mod Pizza because we like it better than Pieology.

George

« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »

Well, I need to go now.  I want to do a little shopping for the cast party before I go to the theater for tonight's show.

Be back later.

George

« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »

But before I go...Gratuitous Post #100!

Jane

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2018, 05:49:56 PM »

I am finished....yes finished....done.....the end!

Yes, after about 12 hours of non-continuous work, I have completed the slide show for the 50th Reunion of my high school class of 1968.  The yearbook was published in some process that made all of the photos very light....so in addition to being cropped, the light levels on all of them had to be corrected.

And of course, the first time I had some slides reversed and a couple of misspellings - but those have been corrected.

So let it be written - so let it be done.

I DID NOT DO THE MEMORIAL SLIDE SHOW for the 26 class members who have gone on to their rewards....or punishment in the case of a couple of them....hopefully the organizers will get me the DATES I need to complete that.  I have already cropped and corrected the pictures....so I just need the info for the headstones, so to speak.

Punishment!  :o

FJL

« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2018, 05:51:28 PM »

What kind of pizza does not involve melted cheese?  (he asks, truly bewildered)

Jane

« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »

DR Amy that is a funny story about the "salami".

Jane

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »

;D

Pesto pizza for one ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »

Piece o' Pizza in my nabe was on La Cienega and 18th.  There was one on Pico east of Fairfax, close to the Del Mar movie theater.  My first pizza was at Big Town Market - I wrote about it in the Kritzer books.  I can still taste it whenever I think about it, and Dino's here comes closest to it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »

Three-hour workshop was really fun.  Fifteen people.  And while they were all very nervous by the end of it they really were having a good time.  I'm pretty good at this stuff and keep it all so positive and I have my little tricks.  One girl, who literally could not hear pitches, sang on pitch by the end of it because I talked her through it patiently and gave her my secret tips.  It bowled her and everyone else in the room over. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2018, 05:58:31 PM »

Then a few of us went to Barone's because all this talk of pizza meant I had to have pizza.  We ordered the square pie for the table and everyone ate it all up and it was faboo.  I also split the carbonara with Leslie's daughter Alexa so it was actually quite a small portion of about three ounces of noodles - and it was even better than a few weeks ago.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2018, 05:58:45 PM »

Hard copy proofer is on her way to get the hard copy of the book

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »

Then I'm watchin' a damn movie.

FJL

« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »

;D

Pesto pizza for one ;)

Is that different from pesto pizza for two?

I never thought of that as pizza, but I guess anything on pizza dough is pizza!

FJL

« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2018, 06:09:02 PM »

Could someone have a dessert pizza?

FJL

« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2018, 06:09:30 PM »

Or is that more like a big cookie?

FJL

« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2018, 06:10:53 PM »

Three-hour workshop was really fun.  Fifteen people.  And while they were all very nervous by the end of it they really were having a good time.  I'm pretty good at this stuff and keep it all so positive and I have my little tricks.  One girl, who literally could not hear pitches, sang on pitch by the end of it because I talked her through it patiently and gave her my secret tips.  It bowled her and everyone else in the room over. 

That must have been very gratifying - for you and her!

Jane

« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2018, 06:12:02 PM »

Piece o' Pizza in my nabe was on La Cienega and 18th. 

That was probably the one Keith was thinking of.  I'm still not sure if there was another one my mother went to.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2018, 06:12:56 PM »

;D

Pesto pizza for one ;)

Is that different from pesto pizza for two?

I never thought of that as pizza, but I guess anything on pizza dough is pizza!

;D

FJL

« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2018, 06:17:02 PM »

I have a recollection of being very young at the pizza store on Avenue J across form the Midwood Theatre in Brooklyn.  I can't remember why i did this, but I was scraping the cheese off my pizza and eating only the delicious cheese and sauce part, and leaving the crust.  And someone in my family group said "You're pulling the pizza's face off."  I said, "But I don't want to eat the bread part."  And this relative said, "How would you like it if someone was pulling your face off?  You wouldn't like it, would you?"

I recall thinking I wouldn't care that much about my face being pulled off if I were being consumed and eaten alive by a monster or something like that, would I? 

Laura

« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2018, 06:18:25 PM »

Wae-Ling thought it was the greatest thing EVER; Sandra doesn't see what all the hype was about.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

FJL

« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2018, 06:20:00 PM »

I can only imagine that it might have been during Passover when you can't eat bread.  (We were Conservative Jews, but I went ot an Orthodox Yeshivah; still, we made up our own rules on how far we observed Passover leavened bread rules.  The stuff on that store's pizza of course wasn't kosher to begin with, any time of year.)

FJL

« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2018, 06:25:40 PM »

Wae-Ling thought it was the greatest thing EVER; Sandra doesn't see what all the hype was about.

I;'m glad I saw HAMILTON early, in previews!  After hearing about any show for 2-1/2 years, I don't think anything but the original company of HAMLET could live up to expectations.  But it felt like quite a miracle, pretty fresh in previews.  (at regular prices, before tickets got up to post-opening levels)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up