Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JOGGING JEW  (Read 23299 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE JOGGING JEW
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2004, 04:05:33 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR MICHAEL SHAYNE!!!

Have a great time at Universal Studios Orlando!

*Because of the audition tour I was playing for Universal Studios Japan, I was able to check out both Universal Studios Orlando and Universal Studios (original) almost back to back.  Land and area-wise, nothing can compete with Disneyworld in Orlando - otherwise, all of Orlando would be one big theme park - which some people think it is already.  However, I enjoyed Univeral Orlando quite a bit.  If you're into roller coasters, you're in for quite a treat.  And the Shrek 4-D "ride" is quite fun!  HINT: Make lots of noise while waiting in line when you are asked.  Lots! The "smaller" size of USO, also makes it's much more manageable to "accomplish" in one day.  -Oh, and I'm assuming and hoping that your friends will be taking you to IoA - Islands of Adventure - too.  And be sure to check out the Waterworld stunt show... waiting for the actors afterwards as they meet and greet audience members can be quite the pleasant eyeful!

-And as for the main differences between the parks.. LA does not have IoA, but it's City Walk is a lot larger and has more variety.  But I did notice that both City Walks - unlike Disney - aren't so "tourist priced" - a.k.a. marked up.  They know they have to attract the locals, so they keep the prices in line with the local prices.  In any case...

Have A Great Time At Universal Studios Orlando!

*And even though I was a temporary of Universal Studios Theme Parks, my "review" and recommendations are totally unbiased, and I have not been compensated for my statements. ;-)
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2004, 04:06:23 PM »

Panni - this link is for YOU! (fellow lover of THE MOONSTONE that you are); as well as for all DRs who have an interest in what lies ahead on the musical theater front:

http://www.womaninwhitethemusical.com/intro.htm
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2004, 04:10:14 PM »

To continue my monologue... I was listening to the radio in the car this morning during a short drive.  When I tuned in, the Philharmonia Hungarica was playing. (I didn't know before this morning that it was made up of musicians who escaped the Revolution.) After they finished, on came Andras Schiff... And once more I was amazed that for such a tiny country, Hungary has produced so many fine musicians.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 04:12:42 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2004, 04:13:20 PM »

Thanks for the link, td!

Panni

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2004, 04:17:56 PM »

Interesting! I wonder what "freely adapted" means? Will the characters be on roller skates? Have to admit, I'm not a huge ALW fan -- but it's a very evocative website.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2004, 04:17:59 PM »

I decided on this 2 degree evening to watch
Easy To Wed with Van Johnson and Lucille Ball with Keenan Wynn and Esther Williams.

I first saw this on 'Frances Farmer Presents', and it still makes me laugh.  Here is my short review at Epinions:

http://www.epinions.com/content_55159918212

As I watch it, I am reminded of what Stanley Donen wrote in his book.....he was trying to get out of directing Williams in Pagan Love Song and in fact had had a tempestuous relationship with the actress when filming Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

Gene Kelly and Stanley had seen Esther driving on the lot in her brand new Cadillac convertible and said something like:  "Look what you can get just from splashing around in the water...."  

During said meeting, with Williams, her agent, producer Arthur Freed, and LB Mayer....Mayer said to Donen:

"Esther feels that you don't think she is talented."

Donen wrote he was at a loss for words, and he was taken off the project.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 04:23:41 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2004, 04:24:45 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR MICHAEL SHAYNE!!![/move]

We're have a rain filled day and night and day and night and day.  Sigh.  In other words, it's going to rain thru Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the answer on American Idol.  I didn't think I had heard of either of them.

It's a bit early but if I do go to NYC in May, which shows are a "must see"?  I kinda want to see "Fiddler" for 2 reasons, I would like to see the theater where DOTV was and I was in a production of Fiddler many years back so it would bring back good memories.  I would also like to see POTO but have seen it twice on the road and Millie again but I also would like to see at least one new show.  

The problem at this point is what Mr. Michael Ball decides to do.  If he does come to SLC in mid May, I want to go see him.  I've waited for him to come to the States for years.  

After carefully readking both books, I have choosen The South Beach Diet.  I will be making a grocery list up for shopping this weekend and will start it on Monday.  I have already started losing a pound or two--the new meds the doctor put me on seem have an unexpected (and most welcome) side effect.   :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2004, 04:31:29 PM »

Thanks for the ALW link td. We may have something other than "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" to see in London this year. It HAS to be better than "The Beautiful Game".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2004, 04:31:52 PM »

Good luck on South Beach, DR Danise!

DR Panni - as you say, Hungarian musicians are world renown.....including the world's most famous second fiddle:  Eva Gabor!

DR JOSE....right across the street from Union Station in the Postal Building is the Federal office of my government division, the Bureau of Labor Statistics...to the left and down the sidewalk.  I love Union Station in DC!  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 04:32:12 PM by JRand53 »

td

• td
« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2004, 04:37:56 PM »

Let Wicked be a surprise to you
... that's my suggestion.

Don't find out any of the details of the plot in advance, and you're likely to enjoy it more.

Having seen Wicked, well, anyone who's seen Wicked understands what happens to various characters.  I think anyone who hasn't seen Wicked should not be told.

But, apparently, some people are begging to have it ruined for them.  Or I could be confused about this.

If I may offer an opinion, I don't think that people are BEGGING to have it ruined for them; they're merely requesting what should have been included in the cd booklet - a VALID synopsis.
I've read the book several times since its publication - even have a First Edition without being a collector of such things, just OZ-related things - and I will admit to being confused and befuddled by the cd's lack of a synopsis!  Ms. Holzman has made major dramatic changes from the novel, some better some worse, but all valid in her interpretation of WICKED.
As I said earlier - maybe a couple of weeks ago, even - was that one of the so-called spoilers) involving a major character and plot point is given away immediately on listening to the cd because of an easily recognizable voice.  IF they wanted to keep that plot twist a surprise, someone else should be singing those lines in the opening numbers. . .

DR Noel, are you also saying that people who HAVE read the book shouldn't see the show?  We have already been told by Maguire HIMSELF, and Holzman's changes are at least true to the original author's intents.

Some of us have been listening to WICKED (and following its creation) for quite some time; the only surprises which could arise for me are how well the creative team has brought WICKED visually to life.

I'm happy that Schwartz has a hit, and I reitereate, WICKED and THE STEPHEN SCHWARTZ ALBUM (produced by BK) are the ONLY Schwartz cds which have recieved so much playing time in the cd player; I've even posted on RATM, and Scarlet Street Forims my feelings about Stephen Schwartz shows (and their cds).

Whether or not others think of WICKED's score as second-rate, need only remember that those words were hurled often at Mr. Sondheim, Mr. Rodgers and basically, any other composer whose works have lasted through the years.

Danise

« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2004, 04:38:20 PM »

Thanks, JRand!   :)

I tried to pick the diet I thought I would really stick with.  I liked the Adkins diet but when I read the receipes in the South Beach book, I found myself saying, "Hey, that sounds good!".  

I also liked the fact that the author of South Beach mentioned taking a fish oil tab and an asprin.  I do both each day.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2004, 04:39:04 PM »

Thanks for the ALW link td.

I was thinking of it as a "Wilkie Collins Link."   :-[

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2004, 04:43:22 PM »

There are many of us who will probably never get to see "Wicked" staged.  Some of find it difficult to get to New York! We still do like to have the Cast alums of shows.  Having the cast album and a synopsis of a show has never stopped me from thoroughly enjoying a show when I eventually got to see it staged.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2004, 04:45:13 PM »

Sorry td. I'll see if I can borrow the book. But then, it might spoil my enjoyment of the musical!
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2004, 04:49:29 PM »

And I've been holding back, but since it came up today...

It will be an interesting Tony race this year as far as the new musicals go.  I haven't seen all the new musicals this season - the ones that have opened - but I was able to see Avenue Q, Wicked and the one possible "upset" Caroline, or Change.  I have not seen Never Gonna Dance, and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it up to see Bombay Dreams before the Tonys - although, I do know people involved with and in the show, so, who knows, that status may change.  -And as for The Boy From Oz and Taboo.. hmm...

Using some of the "existing" opinions out there, as well as my own... I'd really love to see Avenue Q win the Best Musical Tony this year.  Very creative, tuneful, and it carries out it's "concept" to the hilt.  *Although a very critical friend of mine wondered if the show would actually be better without the use of four-letter words - carrying the whole children's/puppet show even further- interesting point.  In any case...  "It's a Fine, Fine Line..." really hits close to home and heart for me.

I enjoyed Wicked very much - I was hooting and hollering with the best of them during the curtain calls, but Avenue Q has been getting more time in my CD player - and it's the one CD I've been getting more people to listen to - and it's the show I've been telling to go see when they can't tickets to Wicked.  The Wicked CD is good, but some of the score omissions as well as the sound - production - of it, don't sit too well with me.  -I don't think Kristin Chenoweth is recorded all that well, and the orchestra seems a bit muddled at times.  -But we're not talking the Grammy's... (For better or for worse, there is a lot of music left off the Wicked OCR - and notice how there is no plot synopsis provided either.)  I love the original book of Wicked, and as some DRs have pointed out - and as even Mr. Maguire has publicly acknowledged (but approved) - some of the plot points - some minor, some major - have been changed for the stage version.  And those don't sit too well with me either.  Consequently, the various outcomes - and what some have called various endings - came across as someone just trying to tie up every possible - and near possible - loose end - when some ends were meant to stay loose - or tied up differently in the original source material.  Technically, however, the show has a good chance of a clean sweep - costumes, lighting and set.

As for Caroline, or Change... Interesting piece.  Good, but more interesting than good to me.  Musically, there is some great writing, but as has been noted elsewhere many times over, Mr. Kushner is not exactly a lyricist.  And, for me, his lack of lyrical skills hampers the pacing and structure of the piece.  Some points get made too fast, some too slow.  And maybe I just saw her on a low energy day, but Tonya Pinkins did not impress me as much as others have told me I should have been impressed by her performance.  Yes, it's good - but good enough to nab the Tony over Mmes. Murphy, Menzel or Chenoweth... hmm... *I also think had it not been for the critical success of HBO's Angels in America, there is no chance the Caroline would have gathered the funding for the pending transfer uptown.  Of course, it's still pending, and by Broadway standards, it's still "early", and things could change.. But I do wish it will - it deserves to be seen by a wider audience.  -Frankly, if I was the producer, I would bring it to Broadway in a limited - but Tony eligible run - that would make better sense to me.  This would help insure the "demand" for tickets, and have the run sell out like it did at the Public, the much smaller Public.  But this is the business of live theatre... when has it ever made sense before?  *And both authors have mentioned that they will do some more tweaking before opening at the O'Neill, so.... *I did LOVE the sign at the Box Office at the Public - "There are no tickets left for the entire run of Caroline, Or Change.  No, not even one!" - followed by the waiting list instructions

Again, this is all MY opinion... BUT I did like all three of the above shows.  And to different degrees and for different reasons.  But if I had my druthers, Avenue Q should win Best Musical.

*My big question about Bombay Dreams is related to Taboo in a sense - it's getting a new book for it's US version.  What was/is wrong with the original book?

Well, that's enough prepostertous presumption from and for me for now.. and for some week's to come.  I smell pizza downstairs!....
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2004, 04:50:29 PM »

Sorry td. I'll see if I can borrow the book. But then, it might spoil my enjoyment of the musical!

As someone who has in the past received nice things in the mailbox from you, I would more than happily post WICKED (in book form) to you!   ;)

td

• td
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2004, 04:52:36 PM »

Speaking of Never Gonna Dance, does anyone know if it has been recorded? Or if it will be recorded?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2004, 04:56:26 PM »

Hey Patty Duke is selling her house in Idaho....latest offer of $1,000,900 hasn't met the reserve.  Take a look - it's a steal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2372879643&category=1607
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 04:56:50 PM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2004, 05:01:34 PM »

DR Noel- If I thought there was a chance I would see WICKED onstage any time or any time soon - I might have had second thoughts about asking....but since I probably won't be in NYC this year, it's nice to have the info.

Oh and td email your snail mail.....Robert and Debbie will be on the way.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2004, 05:01:41 PM »

And now for something completely different:

I was perusing dresscircle.co.uk and under their "RARE, VALUABLE & HARD-TO-FIND CDs" section, they are selling the Dame Judi Dench CD of A Little Night Music.  It's selling for £125!  That's about $225 US! :o It says that the price will go up as they are sold.  I bought it about four year ago for $35!  eBay anyone?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 05:03:33 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2004, 05:02:32 PM »

It's an investment DR George....I tell myself that after every click on EBAY.

td

• td
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2004, 05:27:32 PM »

Oh and td email your snail mail.....Robert and Debbie will be on the way.

I'm all aquiver!
All aboard Chico's Choo-Choo!  The Girl Most Likely to Succeed will prove You Can't Love 'em All while divulging The Secret of Christmas!

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2004, 05:28:36 PM »

Not at that price Jack. Not even Patty's cousin Cathy would be interested. I know nothing about USA land and house prices but it looks so totally overpriced.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2004, 05:31:29 PM »

I'm watching me some Cowboy U on CMT!

LOL TD - you got it!  Plus the night rock
'n roll died...almost!

But TOMOVOZ...you get a software company as well.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 05:33:05 PM by JRand53 »

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2004, 05:31:42 PM »

And to think I sent a copy of Night Music to a DR on this site last year. I knew I should have charged him. I should make a few more copies and sell the original on ebay. No way.
James Thurber 1957

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2004, 05:34:23 PM »

Good evening DRs......I'm trying to be good and at least say a quick hello.  Thanks for all the nice thoughts and messages.

Dear esteemed and definitely "one-of-a-kind" guapo BK --     I indeed read today's notes, and I shall now have visions of "The Jogging Jew" imbedded deeply into my mind forever.  Only you......Oy !!

And I have to admit, even though it is REALLY cheesy, I love watching "The Mephisto Waltz" every so often.  I mean, everyone knows that dedicated musicians are all loony, unbalanced, and in league with the devil.......

You don't believe me ??  Just ask Kerry !!

I must go cook, so I send my best "tennis-lesbian"
MMWWWAAAAAHHHHH
to everyone.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2004, 05:38:11 PM »

And to think I sent a copy of Night Music to a DR on this site last year. I knew I should have charged him. I should make a few more copies and sell the original on ebay. No way.

But, DR Tomovoz, what better way would there be to help fund your upcoming sojourn to France, England, the States, etc... At least it would cover some pretty nice theatre tickets!

Or you could just use the funds to hold a party for me and some "footy" players when I'm back in OZ later this year!  Does Victoria Bitter come in kegs?  And how many do you think we'll need? Kegs, not players... well... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2004, 05:44:07 PM »

Oh, it was interesting to note how some other DRs typed some similar thoughts about Wicked as I was typing my post - I was gladly interrupted by my nephew, John Michael, who kept telling me it was time for dinner.. then realized it wasn't... then it was.. then it wasn't... etc.  Sooooo cute!

-And I think Ann Harada's brief channeling of Judy Garland while she sings "The More You Ruv Him" in Avenue Q is surely worthy of a best supporting actress nomination!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2004, 05:53:37 PM »

I grew up listening to the scores of musicals as recorded, following the plot as best I could via the synopsis printed on the album cover.  The better the synopsis, the better my appreciation of the music.  When I discovered published scripts, I was in absolute heaven!  

I have never found knowing the twists and turns of a plot in advance detrimental to my later enjoyment of a live performance of a show; instead, I've been able to focus on the performances and stagecraft.  This is why I enjoyed Ragtime in each of the three times der Brucer and I saw it.  I've seen Into the Woods no fewer than five times, in different productions, and have enjoyed it every time.  Familiarity has not bred contempt.

Let's put it this way: does knowing what it means when Kane whispers "Rosebud" at the beginning of Citizen Kane diminish the film at all?  Of course not; the depth of the drama is still there.

And, frankly, I find the notion that one must see a show (usually in NYC) to enjoy it elitist.  NYC is not my idea of a fun city.  It is stressful, unfriendly, expensive, and self-absorbed.  It is difficult to get to, and if I don't have a good reason to be there I'd rather be almost anyplace else.  I don't like places where I feel I have to be watching my back as I walk down the street.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2004, 05:54:45 PM »

DR Danise - I will be giving the South Beach Diet a "try" once I'm back from Memphis next weekend.  -I HAVE to have my "meat and three" with the corn sticks and the hush puppies!!!!  Oh, and the ribs from The Rendezvous! I get a full rack - half wet/half dry!!

And since the Atkins people revised their thoughts on saturated fats, the Atkins Diet is VERY similar to the South Beach Diet - but the South Beach Diet introduces complex carbs and dietary fiber first rather than last on the "approved" list.  -Which is the one thing that didn't sit too well for me when I was on Atkins - even though I dropped 20 pounds in six weeks, and eventually 38 over six months (too many post-show receptions, holiday gatherings and closing night parties kind of hampered my initial progress ;-) )

-Maybe we could keep each other honest over the next couple of months?

*And clearing your kitchen cupboards of any "temptations" truly is the best thing in the world to do!  I was amazed that six weeks had passed before I even noticed that I hadn't had any sugar in six weeks!  It just wasn't readily accessible to me, so I never felt like I was trying to resist it since I didn't see it everytime I opened the fridge or the cupboard.

-Boy, I think I've mentioned all this before...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 05:58:59 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up