Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I GOT RHYTHM  (Read 23685 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I GOT RHYTHM
« on: November 14, 2004, 12:00:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've got the rhythm, and now it is time to post until the rhythmic cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 11:59:26 PM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I GOT RHYTHM
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 12:15:32 AM »

Well... I can't think of anything to post about right now...

I need some sleep, then I can post...

Laters...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 06:01:37 AM »

Now I've been to Rome!!!  What wonderful pictures.  I hope DRPANNI pounded on the gate and said hello to da Popa!

Hmmmmmmmm.....sometimes I do Director's Notes...hmmmmm....usually say something about the show and its original place in theatre chronology...and for LOVING LUCY about Lucy and her place in our lives....hmmmmmm....and I usually read the Director's Notes.  If I don't like a show, usually the "notes" are very illuminating.

Well today we are going to see THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.   I know it is not a favorite of many DR's.  But I enjoy it very much.  We have seats very high in the balcony, so it remains to be seen what we will see, but I hope it is fun.  And of course it is our last jaunt with soon to be Canadian resident brother-in-law Jason.  So it is a very mixed feeling day.

Excited about the WRITER'S BLOCK website and ordering the book!  I plan to get one copy for myself and another as a December birthday present for another DR - and YOU know who YOU are!

Very cold here this morning - 28 degrees!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 06:04:28 AM »

I am playing "Music of the Night" - which for some reason our first Sharpei - Autumn Memory (Mimmy) used to love to listen to.  She would always lay down by the speakers when it was playing, she ignored other songs and music (Mitzi Gaynor in South Pacific used to send her running from the room).

Free for all day!  A question for the DR's - did you have a doll house when you were growing up (or did your sister), and what did it look like?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 06:29:37 AM »

No doll house, DR JRand, but I did have a doll. Barbie hadn't gotten big then, so I had another kind of dress up doll - larger but supposedly about the same age as Barbie. We bought all the clothes that went with the doll, and then my mom started making clothes for it. Hadn't thought about that in many years.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 06:32:44 AM »

GRAND HOTEL: I was lucky enough to have seen it the December after it won its five Tonys in June, so all of the original cast (except David Carroll, of course) were still in it. I loved it. We saw it the first night in NYC on that trip, and the next night saw CITY OF ANGELS. Honestly, those were the two best ensemble casts I have ever seen in all my decades of going to NYC. To be honest, I thought Randy Graff was excellent in CITY OF ANGELS playing her two roles, but I still would have given to Tony to Jane Krakowski in GRAND HOTEL.

Matt H.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 06:35:17 AM »

Last night, S. Woody mentioned that he had bought the DVD of A CHORUS LINE, the movie. I have to admit that I have it, too. Got it in a cut out bin for something like $4, but I did buy it. It's still waiting to be watched, however. I don't have a HUGE desire to watch it.

I suspect today, in between bouts of accordian playing, I'll be finishing that first disc in the FRIENDS 8th Season set, and then find a movie to fill the remainder of the afternoon.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 07:00:10 AM »

I am playing "Music of the Night" - which for some reason our first Sharpei - Autumn Memory (Mimmy) used to love to listen to.  She would always lay down by the speakers when it was playing, she ignored other songs and music (Mitzi Gaynor in South Pacific used to send her running from the room).
I can understand the reaction.

Doll houses?  My sister may have had one at one time, but I don't remember it clearly.  She was always too much the liberationist sort to settle down into a dolls house.  (No wonder I've turned out to be the better cook.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 07:06:14 AM »

It may be a while before I sit down to watch CL.  Last night, I made a list of the DVDs we have on our shelves that I haven't actually watched yet, and realized I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Mind, some of the titles are films I've seen before, but don't remember clearly.  I've finished the first "act" of Adam's Rib, one such title, and don't remember the opening pursuit and shooting at all!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 07:07:11 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 07:13:29 AM »

Good morning, all!  I was a true Wuss last night and crashed around 10 pm.  What a plethora of great posts last night!  DRPanni, the next time you go to Rome, I want to tag along.  What wonderful photos!

DRJose, I look forward to seeing you again in New York.  Is there any chance of getting together Monday night, Nov 22, when I'm in DC?

I had a friend in college who wanted to do a musical based on A PLACE IN THE SUN, to be called "In a Rowboat With You."  Shelly Winters is great in that, but I love her best in NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.  When I was at Drama Book Shop, she called and I took an order from her one day.  She'd ask what new books were out, and when I mentioned a title of some bio, she said "He's dead now, that's too depressing."  She asked if we delivered, and I told her we didn't, but I'd see if any clerk would volunteer to deliver her books.  Someone did volunteer, I forget who it was, and she said, "Tell me the exact amount, because I've just gone through a bad love affair and I'm really depressed, so I'm not wearing any clothes.   I'll just hand the money through the door."  And that's what she did.

Congrats to all DRs on 75,000 posts.

I have to go to Staples and buy blank CDs now.  I have nothing else to report at the present.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 07:36:47 AM »

My goodness.  I don’t know which the bigger shock is; the fact that I got up at 6:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning, or the fact that there are so few posts on a Sunday morning?  Now, I am not in the habit of sleeping the whole day away on a Sunday, unless of course I am not feeling well; but, even so, 6:00 a.m. seems a bit extreme.

Well, checking last Sunday’s posts, we had about twice as many posts last week at this time as we do this week.  Of course, I suppose the number of Sunday morning posts really has a lot more to do with the Saturday late-nighters than it does with the Sunday morning posters.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 07:41:20 AM »

I got up around 6 a.m. today, too. Just did not have a restful night. Hoping tonight will be a different story.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 07:57:37 AM »

So if Shelley is naked, she is depressed?  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 07:58:47 AM »

Hmm, that is an interesting coincidence, MattH.  I think my restless night was a result of my upcoming holiday show.  When does your show open?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 08:35:45 AM »

Good morning all.

I had a doll house but I don’t remember playing with it very much.  I wasn’t really into dolls—but will admit I had more than my fair share of them.  I think my favorite was  Thumbelina.  I remember I got her because I was going into the hospital to have a tonsillectomy.  She kept me company.

I turned off from Barbie dolls because I couldn’t (ok, now this is going to sound really silly) forgive myself for giving my old Barbie doll up.  They had some kind of promo that you would get one of the new Barbie’s with the bendable legs, etc, but you had to turn in  your old doll.  I cried for weeks afterwards and wouldn’t have anything to do with the new doll.  

I do remember having the Johnny and Jane West dolls.  I think I enjoyed them more then Barbie.  Anyone remember Thunderbolt (the horse)? And the Indian (can’t remember his name).  I think I told you guys about getting the horse with the broken tail.  I wouldn’t take it back because I was afraid it would go to the Island of Misfit Toys.  

Jrand, I hope you enjoy POTO.  I am going to see it when it comes to the TBPAC on December 11th.  I hate to say it but I saw a clip of the upcoming movie version and I hated it.  I was floored when I heard the Phantoms voice.  Horrible.  Just horrible.  

I do not think I will bother to go see it when it is released.  

All the lovely photos from Panni, Jane and Tom.  I feel like a world traveler without leaving my chair.  All I can say is, More Please!

I heard a bit of news about Chitty.  Meat Loaf may be playing the child catcher!  I LOVE Meat Loaf.  It would have been so perfect if he and Michael Ball could have been in the show together.  If they had been you would have had to pry me away from the theater.  Ok, here’s a bit of dream casting.  Meal Loaf as the child catcher, Michael Ball as C. Potts and Michael Crawford as either Grandpa or the Baron.  Wow!   What a wonderful show that would be!

Sarah Brightman was here in Tampa last night.  I didn’t go to see her because I thought the tickets were a bit pricey.  I decided to buy the Los Vegas DVD and enjoy the concert as many times as I like.  And with my faulty sight, the DVD is the better choice.    :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2004, 08:36:06 AM »

3.35am here in OZ,  And what is there to read?

Not Doll's Houses here. Have a fondness for "A Doll's Life" though. Saw a "Reading" of it a few years ago. (no scripts in sight!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2004, 08:37:25 AM »

Thanks Danise - with that encouragement I'll look for another!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 08:42:45 AM »

Today's pic
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2004, 08:54:09 AM »

I was hoping to sleep a bit later today, but I had quite a bad dream and woke up from it.  Yes, last night I dreamed I was at Manderley.  In the dream, there were repairs being done where I was living (shades of the old house) and I was having to stay in one room with, I think, my parents.  Then, I was also in some kind of school or something, and I liked someone but no one was allowed to date in this school, or see each other, and we were found out because there were spycams in the walls.  At some point I figured out how to disable one of them, and I was writing a note to the person of my affection, and the woman who was the head of making sure none of this went on came into the classroom.  I turned the card I was writing on over and quickly began scribbling notes about the film we were watching in the class, Black Narcissus.  It fooled the woman.  An interesting thing about my scribbles was that they'd turned into actual print - you know, type.  Then, later, I was driving around in a very old and large car (looked like it was from the sixties or seventies).  There was a lot of traffic, which was really annoying (this part of the dream is easy to understand - the traffic getting in and out of the parking structure in Burbank for the Colony Theater was a nightmare in itself).  I was driving on Sunset and parked and went into some store, where I sat and waited for awhile, but no one helped me, so I left.  I forgot I was in this old and large car (perhaps my real car was being serviced) and walked the wrong way, then realized my mistake and walked back and found the car.  As I went to open the door, I noticed that the window was open and that my wallet was sitting on the little thing where the gear shift was.  I got in, opened the wallet reluctantly, only to find my ATM card missing, my license missing, etc.  I went ballistic.  My cell phone was also missing.  I ran to a pay phone, all the while screaming and yelling to myself.  Then I woke up.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »

The first thing I did when I got out of bed was go to the garage, unlock my car and make sure my wallet was safe and sound (as well as my ATM and license).  They were.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2004, 08:55:19 AM »

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 08:58:28 AM »

Jrand, I ususally find Director's Notes to be insufferable.  Yours don't sound like they would be.  I usually find that the ones I've read tell me about the show I'm going to see, explaining what I'm going to see, as if I wasn't smart enough to figure it out.  You don't really see them in Broadway or off-Broadway shows, just regionally.  I think the only time I ever saw a director's note in a program of a Broadway show (or, in this case, a tour of a Broadway show) was from Anthony Newley in the Stop the World program.  I suppose he did it because the show was so strange, what with its chorus of girls in leotards, its lead in baggy pants and whiteface, its circus-like setting, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 08:58:40 AM »

I am my own frenzy.

Danise

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 08:59:51 AM »

I guess I'm not everyone because I'm here!

Your welcome, Tom!  Now I want to go explore France myself!

I had a bad dream the other night as well.  

I was in my bedroom and I heard the lady next store (who died back in May) yelling.  "They tore down my house!  Where am I supost to live now?!"

I woke up with my heart pounding.   I don't like it when I have dreams like that.  I don't know what put that in my mind.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 09:02:59 AM »

I've begun watching Gillo Pontecorvo's The Battle of Algiers on a Criterion DVD.  I've never seen it, but it was recommended strongly by our very own Nick Redman.  And I got some region 2 DVDs in , including a double bill of The School for Scandal and The Green Man, both starring Alistair Sim and Terry-Thomas.  Looking forward to them.  I also got the UK region 2 of Frank Tashlin's amazing The Girl Can't Help It.  The transfer is excellent, although, annoyingly, it's not enhanced for widescreen TVs.  There is a twenty minute "appreciation" of the film by John Waters as an extra, and it is absolutely hilarious - and maddeningly, the "appreciation", while shot on video, is presented in "scope' format (like the film), enhanced for widescreen as are the clips from the film that are shown.  If they could enhance the clips why couldn't they enhance the fershluganah film?

What are your favorite rock and roll movies?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 09:07:49 AM »

My comings and goings over the course of last week have precipitated what is likely to be a very easy trivia contest for all you precious Dear Readers out there in the dark:

Last Sunday I went to Long Beach to see a production of She Loves Me, in which Mr. Stan Chandler played the role of Steven Kodaly.

Last Wednesday I went to the Pasadena Playhouse to once again see Side by Side by Sondheim, in which Mr. David Engel is now featured as the male vocalist.

On Friday, I went to Burbank to see Grand Hotel, in which Mr. Jason Graae starred as Otto Kringelein.

One more person and I'd have a complete set.  

Who is that person?

What is the bond that unites these four?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 09:27:51 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2004, 09:13:45 AM »

I've begun watching Gillo Pontecorvo's The Battle of Algiers on a Criterion DVD.  I've never seen it, but it was recommended strongly by our very own Nick Redman.  

The Battle of Algiers is an amazing movie.  You will think you are watching what must certainly be a documentary, only it's not.  Given what's happened this week in Fallouja, it's relevance to today could not be greater.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2004, 09:14:47 AM »

Sorry, Jay.  I'm not good at trivia.  

Rock and Roll movie.   I'm not sure what one of those are.  Does Rocky Horror or Hedwick and the Angry Itch count?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2004, 09:26:44 AM »

Well, it would have to be the fourth Plaid, Guy Stroman.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2004, 09:27:21 AM »

Jay, I know you liked Grand Hotel - let's hear your take on it, so we have balanced reporting here at haineshisway.com.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up