Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NAME GAME  (Read 19511 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE NAME GAME
« on: September 28, 2004, 11:59:43 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know you are either Rock or Troy or both, and now it is time to post until the Rock Cows come home.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 12:01:05 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE NAME GAME
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 12:26:46 AM »

Seeing as how I'm all alone here, I can do anything I please. And I please NOT to be Rock or Troy. I want to be TAB. Tab Panni. IMHO Tab has much more gravitas. It just shouts out strength of character and dignity. "We can always rely on good old dignified Tab." or "Tab will come through when the Rocks and Troys of the world are wussing out." Of course I'll be "Tabby" to my close personal friends.  Tabby Panni. And Abie will be Tabby Panni's Abie.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 12:42:42 AM »

BK, I just posted a message on yesterday's day.  I wasn't locked out.  Something's wrong...that's definitely a plot twist of a different ballgame!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 01:17:20 AM »

There was a recent NK question that went unanswered about whether my father's happy back east.  I'd have to say that the answer is yes.  It seemed, for about thirty years, that he had show business in his blood.  Leaving that all behind seemed an unlikely move at the time, but, the more I think about it, the more I think the change did him some good.  Only those who remember the game Careers will understand when I say he traded in $ and fame (stars) for happiness (hearts).
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 01:33:11 AM »

Ask BK: What's your history with homes with swimming pools?  You seem to be enjoying this new one.  Been in houses with pools before?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 01:42:50 AM »

DR Tab Panni - you took the name I wanted...so today I will not be Troy or Rock....or TAB....I will be Dash....Yes Dash....hyphenated:

Dash-Jrand54 - like Ann-Margret....I feel so great.  Wow....it is liberating to get a new name, a new persona.

And thanks for posting the TC review, DRPANNI.  Oh my, very similar to what we heard from DRJOSE....oh my.

Well MR BK - I ordered the same DVD you did.  I cannot resist seeing BRAINIAC again, wherein I think a lot of Mexican men are taken over by a brain eating organism....who steals their clothes but leaves them dead in their socks, t-shirts, and boxer shorts.  The alien obviously eschews undies.

I love CAREERS, DRNOEL....and I know what you mean.  $$$ and *** are important.....but become less so as time goes by.

My question for AskBK day - this was sort of answered yesterday.  I just watched a movie called GAS-S-S which featured Miss Cindy Williams and was kind of a mess.  But it seemed to me that everyone in it was someone you might have known...including Mr Bud Cort.  I was going to ask you how you escaped being in this disaster....but you were in New York when it was filmed....would be my guess.  Have you seen this film....what do you think of it?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 01:43:15 AM »

DRNOEL what are you doing up so late?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 03:25:49 AM »

Good Morning!  And, yes, I mean Morning!  Although, right now it's really not that good... -I'll explain eventually...

DR Tab Panni - Thanks for posting the review of 10Cs.  I actually "gave in" and signed up for the free trial period for the LATimes CalendarLive section.  What a fun and accurate review.  Actually, I think it may be a little too fun.  The writer's tongue sure is planted firmly in cheek, but I have a feeling some people may end up mis-reading his intentions.  We shall see.  I also was at least able to read the first paragraph of the Variety review on-line... OK?  Who has a membership to Variety.com? ;) -And, so far, nothing in the NYTimes or Washington Post.

Hmmm.. So should I be Rock or Troy?  Hmm...  How about Sammy?  Sammy Simbulan... Hmm... OH!! I know!  I know!  I want to be Sal!  That's right, Sal!  Sal Simbulan!  That's the ticket.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 03:47:38 AM »

Good Not-So-Good Morning again...

UGH!

****POSSIBLE SKEEVE OUT, GROSS OUT ALERT WARNING****

Right now, it's about 6:30AM EDT for me.  I tried to go to bed around 2:00AM, but I was a little restless - must have been the coffee I had at dinner earlier...  Well, I started to drift off and I thought I heard something rustling in my room.  I got out of bed, turned on the lights and the rustling stopped.  Hmmm... -Must just be some of the plastic-krinkly bags on my floor just "settling"...  I turn out the lights, get back into bed... A few minutes later, I hear some more rustling.... Hmmm... Sounds like mice... -I remember there were mice crawling in the "ceiling" before...  Hey, but this sounds different...  I get up again, and the sound stops again...  So, I just go back to bed, but the sound starts again...  This time I get out of bed and move some bags around...

I noticed some "dust" on the floor, little bits of paper... gold foil in fact...  I move some more bags around, and that's when I noticed all the "stuff" behind one of the bags...  Mice droppings and more chewed up paper and foil.... Foil?!?!... I carefully look into one of the bags, and notice that there are some chocolate bars in there... And one of them has been chewed up...  YUCK!!!!

So... I start moving the rest of my bags and stuff around... I take some things out to the back porch...  I carefully sort through the bags... I throw out anything anything that may possibly be contaminated...

*I had happened to buy some pantry supplies before I got the call to come out to L.A. back in July, and since I had no real time to put them away in the kitchen, I just placed the bags on the floor of my room....  Never again!!!!

I get out the vacuum cleaner, and start cleaning...  I open my closet and vacuum in there too... I move the small bookcase and vacuum...  I was just cleaning up anything that possibly might be there...  Unfortunately, I started looking behind other things in my room, and I think I saw "evidence" in a few other places...

Then I headed out to CVS to buy some mouse traps and/or bait, but they don't have anything "good"... I'll go to the hardware store in a few hours...

Any DRs have any suggestions?  Humane or not so humane? ;)

Then I call my landlord... Well, at least his office...  I leave a "nice" message about what I came across earlier this morning, and how his lack of repairs to the floor in the bathroom among other things have probably contributed to this problem.  Yes, I did leave food in the bedroom, but there's some other "history" involved here which is just too much to go into right now.  -A back door that doesn't close properly.  -A refrigerator that has a bad seal, so that's there's extra condensation inside and outside... UGH!!!

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised I'm as "calm" as I am right now.  Especially considering I have to drive down to Norfolk this afternoon to audit Mamma Mia! tonight.  I do have a "plan" in mind, and I think it's a good one.  Once I put it into action, I'll keep you all posted.

I'm sorry if this did gross anyone out...  I just needed to vent right now.  Not exactly the nicest welcome home.

At least I didn't scream when I saw the "mess".  Although, I might have screamed if I had seen a mouse.

Well, I'm gonna try to get some sleep - at least a few hours.

Goodnight.  Good Morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 03:56:51 AM »

...Of course, some of you may be asking, "Why are you still living there, Jose?... I mean, Why are you still living there, Sal?".... Well... Since I'm never really "here"... And the rent is very reasonable... I have off street parking... And just when I think the landlord is not going to fix something, he goes and fixes something... Unfortunatley, he hasn't fixed everything.

OK... Well, it's now 7:00AM... I think I'm going to head over to the hardware store...

Laters...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 03:58:14 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 04:29:52 AM »

Well, I'm not sure how to address myself this morning, Rock-Ben or Troy-Ben or Ben-Troy or Ben-Rock. How about RockBenTroy. OK. That's what I'll be for now.

Here is a link to the Reuters review of 10 Cs. The name of the reviewer is Jay Reiner and he seemed to really like it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=801&ncid=771&e=1&u=/nm/20040929/stage_nm/review_stage_commandments_dc

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 05:03:06 AM »

Merle

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 05:33:16 AM »

Back from the hardware store... More moving around of stuff... More vacuuming... More cleaning...  Much better... for now...

Time to get some sleep.  I hope.
Make Your Own Luck.

beckon

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 05:34:18 AM »

Re: SWEENEY discussion yesterday.

Well I am glad to hear that there are/were some people who were surprised at the Beggar Woman's identity.  And what a hoot to hear that audiences of the original production were even surprised to hear the new "ingredients" of the meat pies!  Dark humor at its finest.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 05:34:43 AM by beckon »
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 05:34:37 AM »

Good Morning, Mr. Moore.

Good Morning, DR beckon.
Make Your Own Luck.

beckon

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2004, 05:35:53 AM »

And Good Morning to you DR JoseSPiano! :)

Oscar Hammerstein II

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2004, 05:37:37 AM »

Good Morning, DR Dan (the Man).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2004, 05:38:33 AM »

OH!  I guess I should be saying:

Good Morning, Troy.

Good Morning, Rock.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 05:38:47 AM »

Sal/Jose, go to bed, young man! But not before you read the Reuters review of 10C ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 05:39:44 AM by Ben »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 05:41:06 AM »

And Thanks for the Reuters review, DR Ben.
Make Your Own Luck.

beckon

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2004, 05:46:27 AM »

Ask BK:

This is a follow up to my question to you last week.

You mentioned you were happy to have a web site with polite and civilized conversation.  I agree strongly with you on this.  I have visited many other sites on the web, both theatrical and non-theatrical.  The level of conversation is just not as high as at HHW.  More to the point, I can't believe how people argue with each other on the internet.   Disagreement is fine and natural, but the level it is taken to is something to see.  Personal insults and obscenities are the norm.  I am sure you and other posters have seen and know what I am talking about.

This doesn't seem to happen at HHW.  So...

What has occurred to allow HHW be a haven for intelligent conversation and a place where people can disagree with respect?

Oscar Hammerstein II

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 05:50:22 AM »

Good morning, all!  

Yes, Dear Friend BK, it's true:  there's no one like Henry Willson in Hollywood today with a flare for finding handsome young wannabes and renaming them Tab, Rock, Troy, Guy, Rory, etc.  How sad to be only a Ben or a Tom!  What were their agents thinking?

That isn't my question of the day, but I really don't have one right now.  Maybe later, since my question for the morning is to my landlord:  where's the hot water?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2004, 05:52:58 AM »

Top of the morning to you, DR Sal.  Jeeze, you squeeze more out each day than most people do in a week's time!  You must have been in the army!  I can't even imagine going out to a hardware store that early in the morning! (This is a compliment, BTW (Internet lingo!)

And just so you all know, I'm Zack!  Dan Zack, System Architect and Runway Model!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2004, 06:06:00 AM »

RockBenTroy here with another vacation picture. We're almost done with them.

We went to the Science Museum of Minnesota. A very good museum, IMHO. There is/was an exhibit on the body, and Anthony, always looking for interesting photo ops, came up with this one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 06:06:41 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2004, 06:11:20 AM »

DR Jose, excuse me, Sal, it seems like all hell's breaking out with your life right now.  I'm really sorry.  But you were going to move, weren't you?  To NYC?  That's my memory from the Spring.

It's been heavily raining here, and I and my crutches managed to hit two heavy rains yesterday.  I woke up in the middle of the night, and it sounded as if heavy rains were still going on.  It reminded me of my childhood, visiting my paternal grandmother in Appalachian Kentucky, and listening to the rain on the tin roof (almost a FOLLIES reference), a very peaceful sound, I thought.

Today, it's back into the rain, and more work on Eubie Blake.  I look forward to getting back to BABES IN TOYLAND.  After finishing A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN and reading SHIP ABLAZE about the 1904 boating disaster on the East River, I feel rather at home in 1900.

Have a good day, all!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 06:11:40 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William E. Lurie

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2004, 06:15:53 AM »

BK - Will there be a CD of some sort with the new book for those of us who buy it direct from this here site?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2004, 06:23:07 AM »

Question for BK and all--what are you favorite currently running comic strips?  What are your favorites from the past.  And which ones do you just stare at and go "Huh?"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2004, 06:28:51 AM »

Mad Magazine has a great time with these names. I remember one parody in which Hollywood came up with a new name for Roy Harold Scherer: "Pebbles Mississippi."

And then there's the September issue which takes on Brad Pitt's new movie: Troy-Vey.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2004, 06:32:49 AM »

I think today I will be known as Race...RaceBarnum...which is fitting as I must, in just a few minutes, race up to the Ard of Tig (Tigard) to babysit my grandneice Taylor. We have a big day planned...I have a Gumby DVD for her along Gumby and Pokey dolls and the ALICE IN WONDERLAND Disney DVD that DR Elmore3003 gave me awhile back...hope to have time to watch one or the other or both...but the weather is supposed to be nice so we may also be playing in the backyard a lot and perhaps taking the dog for a walk.

Wow, I am exhausted already!

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2004, 06:35:03 AM »

the only comic strip I read much anymore is Dilbert...the Salem paper doesn't have a very good selection of comics.

As a kid I loved Blondie and Peanuts, but just don't find them that funny as an adult.

There is a comic about some dogs and cats that I love but can't think of the name of the strip. It is in the Portland paper and I do read that one also when I have the opportunity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up