Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ALL-DAY AFFAIR  (Read 13308 times)

Emily

Re:THE ALL-DAY AFFAIR
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2004, 09:12:28 PM »

Pineapple is so yummy...

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I've nothing else to say and it's too hot to sleep tonight (even in my basement with the de-humidifyer going full blast).  Cold sliced pineapple from the fridge combined with the heat is letting me pretend that I'm in some sort of tropical paradise.

And if nothing will help me fall asleep faster... won't tropical paradise pleasant visualizations do the trick?
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2004, 09:13:51 PM »

I love pineapple, also.  Tonight I had pepperoni pizza (frozen, but very good) and I was thinking that it needed pineapple.  I love pepperoni and pineapple pizza!  Just had to share.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Emily

« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2004, 09:14:54 PM »

typing in "page five dance" into Google Images resulted in the following.  I don't know where the "page" and the "five" come on... but whatever... it suits my purposes

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2004, 09:15:30 PM »

actually the picture is less of a dance and more of a pose... hmmm... page five pose!

Emily

« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2004, 09:16:17 PM »

pineapple on pizza wil forever be an "ew" for me...

or in the words of Kate Monster:

"ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"

Emily

« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2004, 09:19:55 PM »

actually... this is a much better (and scarier) page five dance:

George

« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2004, 09:31:35 PM »

actually... this is a much better (and scarier) page five dance:

Emily:
in the words of Kate Monster:

"ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2004, 09:43:02 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2004, 10:05:59 PM »

Ferenc Klein (my stepfather's real name)

Panni

« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2004, 10:37:20 PM »

I was going to sign off for the night, but I guess i can't do that until we get past the magic all-time-low number...

Panni

« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2004, 10:38:22 PM »

I'll post once more and then I'm sure between now and midnight there will be LOTS and LOTS of posts...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2004, 10:46:56 PM »

Good Evening!

Sorry to have been errant and truant for most of the day so far - well, all of the day, so far... but rehearsal calls, so...

Good rehearsal today.  And the piano "felt" better to me today too.  And I'm starting learn just how "soft" I can play it so that I actually still get some sound, instead of a silently depressed key - argh!  It even sounded better to me - which is a good sign.

I've never really been that "picky" when it comes to pianos.  I learned a long time ago, that what ever piano was at the gig when I got there was the one I had to deal with.  -And then there was the vast array of pianos - and piano quality - in the practice rooms in college.  As long as most of the notes work, I'm happy - more or less.

But, if I'm playing for a particularly nice function and/or a long time, then I do like to have a good instrument to play.  And the one they managed to get for the run of WHAT IF? does seem like one I will like playing during the coming weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2004, 10:51:01 PM »

As for MAMMA MIA! - A true piece of fluff, but I've never ever thought it was ever trying to pass itself off as a serious piece of theatre, so... Sometimes fluff is good.  And I will say, the keyboard parts for the show are fun to play.  -And I'll be playing in the pit again for the second national tour shortly after the run of WHAT IF? finishes up.  And I'm looking forward to it again - just a great group of people who don't take themselves too seriously.  It's just fun!  -And, heck, making scale ain't bad either! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2004, 10:54:51 PM »

I was thinking about what to post (that fellow HHWers might find useful) and I found a Word document that I saved from work.  It was an e-mail that went around, but it had some information on how to help discourage the receiving of junk mail. ;D I hope that this helps:

• When you get ads in your phone or utility bill, include them with the payment. Let them throw it away.
    • When you get those pre-approved letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and junk like that, most of them come with postage paid return envelopes, right?
    • Well, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little envelopes!
    • Send an ad for your local dry cleaner to American Express. Or a pizza coupon to Citibank. (I especially liked this!)
    • If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their application back!
    • If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them.
    • You can send it back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing!
    • Eventually, the banks and credit card companies will begin getting all their junk back in the mail.
    • Let's let them know what it's like to get junk mail, and best of all THEY'RE paying for it! Twice!
    • Let's help keep our postal service busy since they say e-mail is cutting into their business, and that's why they need to increase postage again![/i]

Send this to a friend or two or three...or fifty....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    « Reply #134 on: August 01, 2004, 10:54:53 PM »

As for AVENUE Q - I'm so glad you like the show, DR MattH!  It truly was my favorite among the five shows I saw in a week when I was in NYC in January.  And, as I've stated before, I was very happy that THE best musical won the best musical Tony this year.  And, like you, it's a show I would love to see again.  And again.  And again...
    Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2004, 10:57:02 PM »

If Alec Guiness had married Mary Stout and taken her name, He'd be Alec Guiness-Stout.

If Ivana Trump married, in succession, Orson Bean (actor), King Oscar (of Norway), Louis B. Mayer (of MGM), and Norbert Wiener (mathematician), she would then be Ivana Bean Oscar Mayer Wiener.

George

« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2004, 10:58:34 PM »

If Yoko Ono married Sonny Bono, she'd be Yoko Ono Bono.

If Cat Stevens married Snoop Doggy Dogg, he'd be Cat Doggy Dogg.

If Snoop Doggy Dogg married Winnie the Pooh, he'd be Snoop Doggy Dogg Pooh.

George

« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2004, 10:59:05 PM »

Some of these have already been posted...a while ago!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    « Reply #138 on: August 01, 2004, 10:59:28 PM »

DR George - When I was in high school, the nun(!) I had for my Junior Year Government class would have us bring in all those pesky business reply cards that get stuffed into magazines, and we would mail out hundreds of them each month!  You just have to drop them in the mailbox!  You don't even need to fill anything out on them.  And each time a company gets one back, that's another couple of pennies out of their coffers.  Unfortunately, from the way that even more subscription cards keep seeming to get stuffed into magazines, I guess our efforts really didn't curtail their activities.  Ah, well...
    Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2004, 11:01:16 PM »

If Bea Arthur married Sting, she'd be Bea Sting.

If Sondra Locke married Elliott Ness, then divorced him to marry Herman Munster, she'd become Sondra Locke Ness Munster.

If Liv Ullman married Judge Lance Ito, then divorced him and married Jerry Mathers, she'd be Liv Ito Beaver.

If Woody Allen married Natalie Wood, divorced her and married Gregory Peck, divorced him and married Ben Hur, he'd be Woody Wood Peck Hur.

and finally:

If Joan Crawford married Norman Fell, divorced him, had a civil commitment ceremony with Lesley Ann Downe, broke up with her and married Fred Astaire she'd be Joan Crawford Fell Downe Astaire.

George

« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2004, 11:04:53 PM »

What I usually do with junk mail (when I'm sure that that's what it is) is NOT open it and write "Refused - Return to sender" and stick it back in the mail.  That way (according to my theory) the company will know that I'm sending it back and they (hopefully) won't send me any more stuff.  I haven't kept track to see if it works, but it seems that I've gotten less junk mail.
    « Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 11:05:38 PM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    « Reply #141 on: August 01, 2004, 11:13:54 PM »

RE: MISS SAIGON - I thought the original lyric was "I'd give my life for you." - not "I'll give my life for you" - ???

As for the show itself, I never really thought it glorified parental suicide.  Although not as "noble" as it's operatic and theatrical predecessors, Kim's death is presented as more of a sacrifice, imho.  Technically, yes, it's suicide, but...  And the song in question is not sung right before her death/suicide.

However, I did find it interesting that the creators wrote at least four "official" endings for the show.  Two are on record - and I know I've seen at least one other on stage.  I also know the staging was changed a few times.  I seem to remember a "shadow play" during the final sequence with Kim, but then it evolved/changed into Kim pulling down the screen and then falling out of the "bed" after she had shot herself.  Or something like that.

As for the show itself (again)... I liked it, never really loved it, and I always just had to wonder what all the fuss over the helicopter was.  -At least each time I saw the show, the helicopter "worked".  I was just amazed that they couldn't come up with a more realistic looking "pilot".  Additionally, the show kept a bunch of my friends gainfully employed for a few years.

I also thought the change from "It's Her or Me" to "Now That I've Seen Her" - just made a clumsy lyric even moreso.

And "The American Dream" number always had me asking, "WHY!?!??"
    Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2004, 11:18:45 PM »

Tomovoz will correct me if I'm wrong, but,  wasn't "Fancy" a hit for Bobbie Gentry long before Reba?

1969 #40 hit in the USA for Bobbie Gentry.

Of course someone else may have answered this by now I have just returned home!
    "I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
    James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2004, 11:26:50 PM »

Free for all day question  (well, Noel and I already discussed this in chat, so don't answer, Noel):

What is the common denominator between Doris Day, Burt Bacharach and Hal David?
    (personally, I didn't know this until tonight).
    Have a feeling it is not pillow talk with Rock.
    "I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
    James Thurber 1957
    Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up